Post-Match discussion: Man Utd v. LFC 1-0

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Mascot88 said:
I'll tell you what I enjoyed. Henderson getting switched into Lucas' position, and promptly giving away a yellow card foul on the edge of the box.

I bet he doesn't cop the same flak that Lucas gets whenever he does it.
You enjoyed that did you?

I could throw the toys out about the irony, but I'm guessing you don't actually mean that, just making a point.

Defuz

mattyhurst said:
Didn't watch it, not particularly in the mood for yet more disappointment glad to here we were a bit more forceful even without any cutting edge.
The result was bad, but the performance not so. Well worth watching. A lot of possession domination, a better fight to the ball, and no let down in the second half. This team, as it was played, with 2-3 additions - a top midfielder, forward and someone on the left - and I see a top 4 lock and better.

redbj

RedRiot said:
Did we really "beat" AC Milan in 2005? We really just had a good 15 minute spell. Had to beat them on a dodgy penalty shootout.
Yes. We beat them. The rules of the game deciphered that.And a lot of very good teams along the way.

redbj

What an arse I am, I'm reading the thread newest to oldest.

On my I phone not my I pad.

Defuz

redbj said:

I could throw the toys out about the irony, but I'm guessing you don't actually mean that, just making a point.
Henderson should be a second choice, or stop-gap measure at best for defense. His high tempo, high pressure game is well suited between the 18's, but has a few cringe-worthy moments defensively, and isn't in step in the box attacking.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
I thought while it was an exciting game there are still problems within the current performances. Gerrard and Lucas have been very average in the majority of games. Sturridge recently is trying his flicks and turns to the extreme, his three goals in three games has definitely went to his head.
We're struggling to know what our strongest backline and Rodgers seems to be afraid to make a decision on it. The only thing worse than a bad decsion is indecsion and it needs to be sorted. Toure and Sahko at centre back is my preferred pairing right now. Cissokho cant come back quick enough ebcause Enrique can be so poor it covers over the fact he's decent 70% of the time. We cant afford to be average poor too many times a season so this needs to be addressed. A big mdifielder should be the priority in january.

The game was good, we could have won, bit sketchy at times and Mignolet continued to impress in the shot stopping stakes. Not that worried about getting knocked out, we dont have the squad to battle on one front let alone three. Thats the reality for me.

Livermaina1

verde13 said:
We start with our current best eleven, they start with 8 changes in their lineup and yet we found a way to lose again. With a soft goal identical to the one against Southampton. We are still to score in the second half.

I don't take solace from being slighty better against their subs. Losing to them and exiting the cup so early from the second year running is nothing to write home about.

It's just not good enough, none of it. From the players' application and attitude to the manager's tactics and preparation of the team. None of the other top four contenders would have lost against this lot and it is precisely because of games like these that the one true world class player we have wants to leave.

It speaks volumes that not only we couldn't assert our superiority against a piss poor team but that we actually managed to lose. I don't know what has happened but so far, football-wise, we've gone backwards.
Nothing more to be said...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Still concede from corners. This was our big problem defensively last season and as it stands we had conceded two consecutive goals from set piece. We blamed it on Skrtel and Agger for not aggressive enough in making their challenge on corners and freekicks last season. We blamed Reina for not commanding enough in the box on setpieces. Now Enrique made mistakes. Something has got to be done on set piece defending and we need to do it quick.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
RedRiot said:
Did we really "beat" AC Milan in 2005? We really just had a good 15 minute spell. Had to beat them on a dodgy penalty shootout.
I've read a lot of really stupid asinine posts during my tenure as a poster here, but that may well have been the stupidest/most asinine. It's almost impressive in a morbid depressing sort of way.

Unless you're just trying to wind us up, in which case it's brilliant.

R

RedRiot

Never Say Never said:
I've read a lot of really stupid asinine posts during my tenure as a poster here, but that may well have been the stupidest/most asinine. It's almost impressive in a morbid depressing sort of way.

Unless you're just trying to wind us up, in which case it's brilliant.
You might want to read the rest of the thread - as Redbj discovered, I'm lampooning another poster's assertion that we didn't really "beat" United earlier in the season. But thanks for your compliments!

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
A very interesting, if frustrating, game. Was great to see us fight to the final whistle, but at the same time it's annoying that some of the players can play 90 mins if its against United in a cup but can't last 70 mins against less glamorous opposition. Still some old mental issues there. Either that or their fitness actually is fucked and they were running on adrenaline today.

Sturridge and Suarez are both not yet at their best and it was ultimately the difference I thought. Wondering what might have been if Suarez had passed it back to Gerrard who was standing at the edge of the box early in the game.

Hernandez...credit for the finish, but still sucks to concede another goal from a corner. Defense deserved better given their overall performance.

Good combination play around the area, otherwise. Some nice touches. But just a shame we don't have one more experienced attacking option on the bench. Tip of my hat to Moses for his defending, but in attack he's not there yet...looked new to the team. Seemed like we were targeting Buttner, which meant lots of action for Henderson.

Kolo is just awesome. Another game to enjoy him smashing forward like a raging bull

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
WellRedKev said:
The game was good, we could have won, bit sketchy at times and Mignolet continued to impress in the shot stopping stakes. Not that worried about getting knocked out, we dont have the squad to battle on one front let alone three. Thats the reality for me.
C'mon Kev. We don't have the squad for one front? let alone the C1C and the FA Cup?

So we might as well not attempt to go for the CL or EL either. Cause if we don't have the squad now, what makes anyone think FSG will buy more squad-worthy players?

Someone said we were the 3rd highest spenders (over the time FSG's been here) and now we are saying we can't even compete on one front. We had (according to many fellow posters on here) a stronger starting eleven compared to Utd, Southampton and Swansea and we lost 2 and drew one. I think there's a different problem here.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
LFC-Orlando said:
C'mon Kev. We don't have the squad for one front? let alone the C1C and the FA Cup?

So we might as well not attempt to go for the CL or EL either. Cause if we don't have the squad now, what makes anyone think FSG will buy more squad-worthy players?

Someone said we were the 3rd highest spenders (over the time FSG's been here) and now we are saying we can't even compete on one front. We had (according to many fellow posters on here) a stronger starting eleven compared to Utd, Southampton and Swansea and we lost 2 and drew one. I think there's a different problem here.
so against Notts coutny we still ahd to field Lucas, Gerrard, Sturridge etc...........

We have spent a few pound alright but we have sold and loaned a ridicolous amount of players out also. I think we have a squad for a good rattle at Top 4 but thats where its stops for me. gerrard at 33 should not being playing midweek in the Carling Cup, Sturridge is carrying an injury but yet he's still risked. I think the squad is still as thin as it ever was, especially when he doesnt trust Alberto much.

rich1991

TIA New Signing
With all due respect, I can't hear this crap anymore, about us not scoring in the second half of a game. You know what, if you look hard enough, you will find more and more stupid facts about anything the Team might do good or bad...

• We are the 2nd best Team in the league scoring between 31st and 45th (Manu, Lfc)
  • We are Joint first in the league in scoring in the first ten minutes. (Lfc, Swansea, Arsenal)
  • We are second in the league scoring Goals in the first half (Arsenal)

You can Twist and turn any stat, and try and find whats bad, or try and find whats good! Hopefully the Team is not as naive as lots of fans are, thinking they can't win because they haven't scored a Goal after the first half (which isn't true by the way, cause we did score after the half time break against Notts County, yes I know, only mighty Notts County)

These are all just patches during a Long Long season, ups and downs are normal!! It doesnt matter who score the most Goals in any half or during any spell. The Team that gets the most Points after 38 games, is the Team that wins the title! Right now we we have an average of 2 Points a game! Which would take us up to 76 Points! (enough for 3rd in 12/13)

we need to score one more Goal then our Opponent does in every match, doesn't matter if it's in the beginning or the end!

Sunderland up next...Go reds!

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
LetThereBeLove said:
With all due respect, I can't hear this crap anymore, about us not scoring in the second half of a game. You know what, if you look hard enough, you will find more and more stupid facts about anything the Team might do good or bad...

• We are the 2nd best Team in the league scoring between 31st and 45th (Manu, Lfc)
  • We are Joint first in the league in scoring in the first ten minutes. (Lfc, Swansea, Arsenal)

You can Twist and turn any stat, and try and find whats bad, or try and find whats good! Hopefully the Team is not as naive as lots of fans are, thinking they can't win because they haven't scored a Goal after the first half (which isn't true by the way, cause we did score after the half time break against Notts County, yes I know, only mighty Notts County)

These are all just patches during a Long Long season, ups and downs are normal!! It doesnt matter who score the most Goals in any half or during any spell. The Team that gets the most Points after 38 games, is the Team that wins the title! Right now we we have an average of 2 Points a game! Which would take us up to 76 Points! (enough for 3rd in 12/13)

we need to score one more Goal then our Opponent does in every match, doesn't matter if it's in the beginning or the end!

With all due respect to you, there are lies damned lies, and ...... you know what.

I don't know if you are American but I get the impression that you are ("Go reds!"), and while American sports may be easily analyzed using statistics, football is not like that. It's about performance, and despite our good start to the season in terms of points, performance-wise it has not been good. It's all very well being the best at scoring between the 31st and the 45th minutes, but if we only score one in the first half, then don't score in the second, we're quite likely to end up with one point or none.

Didn't see the game, except for seeing the goal on CNN. Chronic defending there.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
LetThereBeLove said:

You looked too hard into the scoring stats matter in the first 5 league games of the season. We can be top in all your 3 points you highlighted, but if we can't defend nor score for shit in the second half, we still end up losing. So it is a valid point that we need to start scoring more goals, and preferably in both halves. Why? United run to titles had always been the last 10 minutes of the game or so, and that is where they hurt you. Not many teams in this modern era after the oil money spilling into this league does a team score a goal in the first half or lead with a solitary goal, then not pushing in the second half and went on to lift the league title. Especially not in this league.

United had a lot of last minute goals to give them all 3 points or salvaging a point, they had done that so many times in their title run. If we want to be consistent, we need to do more than just scoring goals between 31st to 45th minute mark.

rich1991

TIA New Signing
I am definitely not american, I live in Europe, and I didn't know that the saying Go Reds is american!? if you tell me the correct way to Support my favourite Football Team that Ive been watching for many many years, then I will of course Change.

You might wanna read my post again, cause I am not a believer in stats! The Team that gets the most Points after 38 games, is the Team that wins the title! Thats the most important part of my post, which is not a stat, its a fact.

And I totally disagree, it's not about performace, it's about winning...I've been in professional sports for the last 15 years, and the one thing I learned first is, that Performances don't matter at all. The better Team, is the Team that wins, not the Team that performed well. Completely different thing. Hard work, day in day out, over the course of a season, makes you win matches, not complaining about second have Goals or fouls or possesion. And if you believe any of the crap journalists tell you, or coaches or Players say in interviews, you have definitely never been in sports yourself. They tell you what the fans wanna hear, so they Keep calm. They exactly know what they have to do, and what Needs to be done, that's why they are professionals!

And please stop the american hating. Ive been in america lots of times, and it's a great Country, with lots of nice People, and a great attitude, compared to lots of other countries, so maybe once and for all we can stop the american bashing.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Yeah poor result but decent performance. Liked the 3-4-1-2 formation but hated the subs used by Rodgers. Since when can Sterling play in the hole as a #10? Didn't we spend £7m on Alberto to play there? Also Kelly to play his first match in decades when we're losing by a single goal away to our hated rivals? Are we trying to not to get another goal? Surely bringing on Sterling to play as the right wing-back instead would have made more sense?

Set-pieces are still a huge problem for me, both defending and attacking sides. We've all seen how poor we defend corners and this time I believe it was Gerrard's fault as he missed timed the flight of the ball and taken the wrong angle to it or Mignolet should have punched it out whatever the solution is. Point is every time its something, its like we don't have coaches that have a clue as to how to fix it. Attacking side is just as bad for me. Have we directed any headers on target all season? I don't see us having any sort of clue when attacking a corner before it used to be using Skrtel as a screen setter to help Carroll lose his marker. The one obvious benefit of playing 3 CBs is the slight advantage on set-pieces but we can't even win headers! If we are going to be a score one goal and sit back side then set-pieces are vitally important.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
thought that was sturridge and henderson poorest games for a while, shame as they have been 2 of our better performers this season

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
ianrush said:
awful performance... :huh:
What a load of crap, we where the better team on the night. The only thing wrong with the game was we failed to score a goal. This could be the problem over the season.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Liveforthereds said:
What a load of crap, we where the better team on the night. The only thing wrong with the game was we failed to score a goal. This could be the problem over the season.
I wouldn't be bragging about being the better team as they put out a mostly second string bar Rooney and Rafael. While we played our first string bar the injured guys in Coutinho, Johnson and Agger.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I thought it was apretty decent performance but Sturridge does look below par, I would not be surprised to see him rested against Sunderland as we are told he has a niggling injury. Henderson just lacks that bit of quality around the box. Almost like he is trying to hard.Cannot fault his work rate and I thought the MF looked better when he went central in the second half.

hab88

TIA Reserve Team
It's never nice losing to the Mancs, especially when we were the better team at old trafford by far, and one defensive lapse has cost us again. While Sakho and Toure do give us that presence in set pieces, our nervousness and fragility while defending set pieces is there for all to see and must be worked on. I'm sure Rodgers will learn a lesson or two from this, and we'll see a much improved showing on sunday. The team can be counted on to give a positive response if a couple of results dont go their way and I'm confident of it.

I also don't get why people think we'll have trouble scoring this season. While Sturridge has gone off the boil a bit after his excellent start, we now have Suarez coming back and that'll only help. The lad got 30-odd goals last season and I don't think anybody can doubt his commitment to the cause after last night! Add to that we have Moses and Aspas (I know!) and I think our forward line has been reinforced, although I myself don't write this last line with the greatest conviction.

So I suggest everybody relax and wait for sunday. Should we (God forbid) fail to beat a Sunderland side who've been the worst side in the league by far, then I'd really worried.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
There was talk in the pre match thread that our squad are "tired". Mascot said it was because of a "brutal" preseason programme. Well at least that excuse can't be used any more as till january we will just have weekly league games unlike most of our rivals who are still in 4 competitions.

Tired in September? Really?

Every cloud...........

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
redbj said:

Yeah, point being Lucas gets slaughtered for giving away yellow card fouls on the edge of the box - Henderson did the same thing within 10 minutes of being moved there.

Not that Hendo did anything wrong - that's what a DM is there for. We too easily forget that it was a very unusual match that didn't end with Masch collecting a yellow while giving away similar fouls.

It's something I do like to see actually - giving away that foul in that position stops a goal scoring chance, it stops the centre backs being forced into a penalty area challenge, and it the responsible thing to do.

TheSweetSilverSong

I don't want to be the better team in the game and lose it. We've had that a lot for years - been there, done that! It's nice, but not what it's about!
I want to win it despite playing half as good as we can and the opponent being on top of their game and seemingly better than us that day - much like the league game vs utd!

More of that please :)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Rambler said:
There was talk in the pre match thread that our squad are "tired". Mascot said it was because of a "brutal" preseason programme. Well at least that excuse can't be used any more as till january we will just have weekly league games unlike most of our rivals who are still in 4 competitions.

Tired in September? Really?
There is nothing like having your name invoked by someone who has completely missed your point.

The players are tired - the trend so far is that after an hour of football they appear to have nothing left in the tank. You might as well argue that we play in green, or Anfield is is Chipping Sodbury.

My comment about pre-season was that the players themselves have talked about how hard it was - putting two and two together, maybe that's the reason why performances tail off so dramatically.

It wasn't an excuse - it was an explanation, and if it is the cause of the squads lethargy, something that can be classed as a management cock up.

Your point about about other teams is irrelevant. Do you think players sit with their feet up all week and only get off their arses for matches? If the training is too intense to allow players the energy reserves to see out a game of football, then it doesn't matter what other teams are doing. We'll still see the team playing walking pace football in the second half of matches.

koptician

We'll go again!
Forget who deserved what. We conceded from a stupid botched marking assignment and didn't have the finish to respond. Wasn't even clever movement just falling asleep on a routine assignment. Can't pin the blame solely on Enrique as we have other defenders who have made similar errors recently so could have happened to someone else. what was annoying was our inability to respond. Coutinho would have most definitely made a difference and I was disappointed Alberto wasn't the first change. This is not Ferguson's United, we can really get at this team bit we didn't. We took time to settle into 3-5-2 and once we did we were pretty decent. At least Suarez touch will get better next game as will his match sharpness. Poor refereeing as well. Their corner should have been a foul for us.

jimbo

TIA Regular
we played well, Suarez was rusty. I would say we were wasteful.

However yesterday clearly showed us from both teams that LFC and Man U dont have that link from Midfield to Up front.
Moses was dropping deep and in my opinion played out of position. Rooney was dropping very deep, alot deeper than usual. We really should have punished what was a rocky performance from Man U. They are still a class team no doubt but its so clear to see they are not the same animal that they were with Fergie. I think Enrique had a great game but really lacks that last bit of quality. I would like to really see a midfielder come in or at least let Gerrard play further up front. So far only Spurs and City look strong. We need a win on the weekend to really stay within the pack.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise not to be in the capital one cup. Bredon has to really go for the top four spot now until the FA cup in january.