Post-Match discussion: Man Utd v. LFC 1-0

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Mascot88 said:
Twatenberg should also have sent off Gigig's.
He was never going to do it to Giggs though was he...

I doubt it would have made a massive difference to be honest with you. With around 8 mins to go United would have just parked their bus up if he'd have gone and we probably wouldn't have scored.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
rupzzz said:
He was never going to do it to Giggs though was he...

I doubt it would have made a massive difference to be honest with you. With around 8 mins to go United would have just parked their bus up if he'd have gone and we probably wouldn't have scored.
principal though... he deliberately kicked the ball away furthest from anyone - yellow card offence all day long....
the yellow for lucas was ridiculous too - despite sturridge and suarez getting hacked down with nothing given...

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Lizard said:
principal though... he deliberately kicked the ball away furthest from anyone - yellow card offence all day long....
the yellow for lucas was ridiculous too - despite sturridge and suarez getting hacked down with nothing given...
Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately the referee's do what they like, and against United they rarely do the right thing.

I don't think Giggs has ever been sent off for United has he? No doubt this football hero deserves his clean record...

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Great game even though we lost.

Enrique taking the blame for the goal, but should have been an easy clearance for Mignolet.

The 3-5-2 seemed to work quite well, but with the Mancs sitting so deep it was always going to be hard to break through.

Just hope we reap the benefits of having another mid week night off lol

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
LetThereBeLove said:
I am definitely not american, I live in Europe, and I didn't know that the saying Go Reds is american!? if you tell me the correct way to Support my favourite Football Team that Ive been watching for many many years, then I will of course Change.

You might wanna read my post again, cause I am not a believer in stats! The Team that gets the most Points after 38 games, is the Team that wins the title! Thats the most important part of my post, which is not a stat, its a fact.

And I totally disagree, it's not about performace, it's about winning...I've been in professional sports for the last 15 years, and the one thing I learned first is, that Performances don't matter at all. The better Team, is the Team that wins, not the Team that performed well. Completely different thing. Hard work, day in day out, over the course of a season, makes you win matches, not complaining about second have Goals or fouls or possesion. And if you believe any of the crap journalists tell you, or coaches or Players say in interviews, you have definitely never been in sports yourself. They tell you what the fans wanna hear, so they Keep calm. They exactly know what they have to do, and what Needs to be done, that's why they are professionals!

And please stop the american hating. Ive been in america lots of times, and it's a great Country, with lots of nice People, and a great attitude, compared to lots of other countries, so maybe once and for all we can stop the american bashing.
I was hoping you wouldn't say anything about America-bashing because nothing in my post was critical of the USA or Americans. What I said about American sports and statistics is pretty well understood, I think. I am not in any way anti-American. Most of my fellow native-English speaking people that I have contact with are American, so if I were anti-American I would find it pretty hard to function here. On the same note, I think most people would say that "Go whoever!" is a typically American expression, while "Come on you whoever!" is probably a typically British one.

Anyway, the team is not scoring enough goals, and without those extra goals we won't be getting those all-important points.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
We are getting into bad habits, last time we lost two in a row we won the next 4, win on Sunday a with a convincing display. That's what we need to do.Sturridge looked like he needed a rest, i think it was a daft idea to loan Borini out. He was so sharp against United for the U21's recently.

Will be interesting to see if we go with a 3-5-2 again, i think with the quality of our centre backs we should. Will take a while to get used to but it seems a good option currently and i want to see Allen back in the side.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
SirBillShankly said:
We are getting into bad habits, last time we lost two in a row we won the next 4, win on Sunday a with a convincing display. That's what we need to do.Sturridge looked like he needed a rest, i think it was a daft idea to loan Borini out. He was so sharp against United for the U21's recently.

Will be interesting to see if we go with a 3-5-2 again, i think with the quality of our centre backs we should. Will take a while to get used to but it seems a good option currently and i want to see Allen back in the side.
I agree. I'd like to see 3-5-2 used more often too. It's a good way of accommodating Henderson. We could even put Moses in there in place of Enrique, as he seems to be willing to track back. But who to drop in order to play Allen? It's either Lucas or Gerrard and it won't be the Captain. It's what I would do anyway.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
MarlboroMan said:
I wouldn't be bragging about being the better team as they put out a mostly second string bar Rooney and Rafael. While we played our first string bar the injured guys in Coutinho, Johnson and Agger.
Not bragging, just saying it was not as bad as was said. Does not matter who they put out as even their second string are good quality players who would make most other first team squads in the league.

juliannicholas

TIA Reserve Team
We desperately need some quality in the middle apart from Coutinho. Don't know how this midfield is going to carry us this season.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Mascot88 said:
Twatenberg should also have sent off Gigig's.
To be fair he actually favored us more than them throughout the game. Maybe it's cause he was not biased with rednose not there.

Thought that thug Jones deserved red much more than Giggs in that game.

kenno91

TIA New Signing
We were poor in the final third and with the last pass or shot. really missed Coutinho with his vision and just all round excellence on the ball. Good to see Suarez back and I hope we get back to our normal formation also as 3-5-2 doesn’t suit us I don’t think.

Could have won it if we were better in front of Goal Moses diving header was a goal if it was either side of the keeper but it just wasn’t meant to be im afraid.

Back to 3 points the weekend and onwards and upwards

jabu

TIA New Signing
not mad at the loss at all... I thought BR was very brave in tryin a couple of formations against quality opposition. What are ur guys guys thoughts on the formation (3 at the back) and also moses as an AM.... i feel Br is looking for ways to include sturridge, suarez, moses and coutinho in the first 11 without sacrificing the defense... thoughts???

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
I see why Rodgers was so keen on Mkrtchyan/Willian, we have no other option in the middle other than Coutinho.
Maybe Allen, but he is out injured
Suso looks the real deal, I think that he should have stayed and could have contributed now when Coutinho is out.

Clive

tamir_m said:
I see why Rodgers was so keen on Mkrtchyan/Willian, we have no other option in the middle other than Coutinho.
Suso looks the real deal, I think that he should have stayed and could have contributed now when Coutinho is out.
certainly looks like a gap in the squad now, along with the perennial lack of DM cover.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I'm quite pleased with our performance last night. Toure repeatedly turning up on the edge of and in the box was a real treat. We lost to a very good and well taken goal. Yes, Jose should have done better to get to him but we should take nothing away from the quality of the finish. Ming had an absolute blinder too and we were lucky to just concede the one. I think the one word that sums up the performance is disjointed. That's because our attack showed good quality and intention but it lacked cohesion and harmony. Suarez and Sturridge will click in the coming games and may The Lord have mercy on the souls of the player they will terrorise. Good effort Fromm Gerrard throughout. Whist it was far from his best game, he at least managed the 90 minutes running to the end. Lucas less so.

If I were BR, I'd spend every possible minute working on corners. 11 against 11 taking, trying and retaking corners. We're hopeless at taking and defending them. There seems no to be no organisation or plan when it's our corner just hit it in and hope or pointless short corner. We have some very big units in the squad now who are perfect for powerful headed corners.

Good shuffle of tactics yesterday which seemed to suit the available players, more of the same on the weekend please.

koptician

We'll go again!
tamir_m said:
But Willian would not have been down the middle. Nor would have Costa. So why stop looking for that type of player after falling at the first hurdle?
ptt said:
Yes, Jose should have done better to get to him but we should take nothing away from the quality of the finish.
Sorry, but given the time and space he was given there are a number of strikers in the PL who can finish like that. It was an absolute howler of a marking assignment by Enrique

ptt

2020, head of the table.
koptician said:
Sorry, but given the time and space he was given there are a number of strikers in the PL who can finish like that. It was an absolute howler of a marking assignment by Enrique
Disagree. I "can" finish like that but only one in ten, the rest of the time I'd be on the floor after it hit me in the nads or watching it hit somebody or the post or the bar or or or. One chance, one goal. Quality.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Clive said:
The problem with that formation for me is the lack of goals in the midfield 4. We need to find a way of getting our midfield on the scoresheet, both centrally and from wide areas, or it's going to be a long season. Or we need to get a new, free scoring midfielder!
A creative and scoring midfielder is a must, no matter what formation we are playing.

SirBillShankly

legalalien said:
I agree. I'd like to see 3-5-2 used more often too. It's a good way of accommodating Henderson. We could even put Moses in there in place of Enrique, as he seems to be willing to track back. But who to drop in order to play Allen? It's either Lucas or Gerrard and it won't be the Captain. It's what I would do anyway.
Lucas is knackered after a hour and the captain needs a complete break. I would play Allen, he was sharp and fresh against Notts County.I would also select ilori, young, very quick and mobile, good technical player, stick him in, alongside Henderson and Allen, freshen things up, we are stale and lack height and invention in the middle of the park. ilori as a DM, think he would be a revelation.Drastic, but the way we are playing we need to change things, formation and personnel.

jabu

TIA New Signing
legalalien said:
I was hoping you wouldn't say anything about America-bashing because nothing in my post was critical of the USA or Americans. What I said about American sports and statistics is pretty well understood, I think. I am not in any way anti-American. Most of my fellow native-English speaking people that I have contact with are American, so if I were anti-American I would find it pretty hard to function here. On the same note, I think most people would say that "Go whoever!" is a typically American expression, while "Come on you whoever!" is probably a typically British one.

Anyway, the team is not scoring enough goals, and without those extra goals we won't be getting those all-important points.
not too butt into this highly sensitive conversation... "go whoever" is not an expression that us americans use.... sorry to interrupt...

RedSeven

On the one road
jabu said:
not too butt into this highly sensitive conversation... "go whoever" is not an expression that us americans use.... sorry to interrupt...
I always thought it was,mostly used in basketball,but in other sports as well.Have to blame television if it is not. :)

koptician

We'll go again!
ptt said:
Disagree. I "can" finish like that but only one in ten, the rest of the time I'd be on the floor after it hit me in the nads or watching it hit somebody or the post or the bar or or or. One chance, one goal. Quality.
Not talking about you (assuming you're not a PL striker). I can almost guarantee, with that kind of time and space Van Persie, Aguero, our Sturridge, Defoe, Soldado, even Bent, Berbatov, Eto'o among others could finish. It was purely because Enrique botched his marking assignment, hell he wasn't even blocked off!

jabu

TIA New Signing
RedSeven said:
I always thought it was,mostly used in basketball,but in other sports as well.Have to blame television if it is not. :)
firsttime ever coming across the expression to be honest... that's why i love the forum, learn and read new stuff all the time ;)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
koptician said:
Not talking about you (assuming you're not a PL striker). I can almost guarantee, with that kind of time and space Van Persie, Aguero, our Sturridge, Defoe, Soldado, even Bent, Berbatov, Eto'o among others could finish. It was purely because Enrique botched his marking assignment, hell he wasn't even blocked off!
It's Enrique all over. He's strong as an ox, decent on the ball - but he just switches off. Didn't Carra make some comment on Sky about him not listening to instructions?

Any news on Cissokho ?

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Ever since BR arrived we've been rubbish at defending set pieces. Tbf even under Rafa we weren't that good, but it's just got ridiculous over the last twelve months or so. The manager isn't stupid; he's got eyes like the rest of us. He must be able to see that we're a complete shambles at defending corners and FKs.

Either the players as a group (unlikely) are not listening to defensive instructions, or whoever is overseeing defensive drills is a complete amateur. Are BR and Pascoe joined at the hip or something? A competent new defensive coach is long overdue imo.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
EdWood said:
Ever since BR arrived we've been rubbish at defending set pieces. Tbf even under Rafa we weren't that good, but it's just got ridiculous over the last twelve months or so. The manager isn't stupid; he's got eyes like the rest of us. He must be able to see that we're a complete shambles at defending corners and FKs.

Either the players as a group (unlikely) are not listening to defensive instructions, or whoever is overseeing defensive drills is a complete amateur. Are BR and Pascoe joined at the hip or something? A competent new defensive coach is long overdue imo.
I must admit I was a bit puzzled by the lack of a CB in the front post area when we conceded last night. Everybody like to put all the blame on enrique, but it could have been prevented by having skrtel, toure or sakho in that area instead of Gerrard

Reverse

TIA Reserve Team
Quagmire81 said:
I must admit I was a bit puzzled by the lack of a CB in the front post area when we conceded last night. Everybody like to put all the blame on enrique, but it could have been prevented by having skrtel, toure or sakho in that area instead of Gerrard
I'm not exactly a tactical wizard but even I know that our CBs should be marking players and not standing at the front post hoping for an under hit corner.

SirBillShankly

Quagmire81 said:
Thing is, Enrique was marking him when the corner was taken, he should have stuck to Hernandez like glue, but he seemed to switch off for a split second which has become an unfortunate habit of his. It was Jose's responsibility.
We had enough aerial ability with Skrtel, Sahko and Toure out there. Mignolet could have come for it. It was criminal to concede like that, too many cheap goals will see us in 6-7th position once again and trophyless.Think we need a better defensive coach.

Stephenelson

Big problem for me is not Rodgers lack of tactical ambition,Alberto deserves a run ahead of Stirling ( the new Babel!) but the goal scoring contribution all round.
So far two goal scorers with their names on the board, if you look at other title contenders( i know but aim high) their goals come from different sources.
Rodgers should have em all at Melwood this morning doing Corner defending drills.