Post-Match discussion: Man Utd v. LFC 1-0

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Wouldn't mind a 352 with Allen and Henderson in the middle and Moses behind the front two if Allen is fit.

Lucas and Gerrard need a break, they're utterly exhausted when the second half kicks off. This is only Sunderland, we should come out all guns blazing and play with a high tempo from the start.

Should be rolling these over really. No manager, no organisation.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
years on and we're still crap at corners - we have some big players and yet we still havent a clue on how to attack or be threatening from corners

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
There is a lot of positivity on here which is admirable. I didn't see the game. My nerves can't take United matches. However I did listen on Radio Merseyside and the local fans that rang in afterwards were scathing about the team's performance. Lots of criticism of Lucas, Enrique & Gerrard in particular.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
SirBillShankly said:
Thing is, Enrique was marking him when the corner was taken, he should have stuck to Hernandez like glue, but he seemed to switch off for a split second which has become an unfortunate habit of his. It was Jose's responsibility.
We had enough aerial ability with Skrtel, Sahko and Toure out there. Mignolet could have come for it. It was criminal to concede like that, too many cheap goals will see us in 6-7th position once again and trophyless.Think we need a better defensive coach.
Did you see hernandes movement, anybody could have been fooled. Jose let him go when he went for the front post cause that's suppose to be a area thats protected, it was a poor decision putting Stevie there since he's not very good with headers.

I'm sure united did it on purpose, lure all our best headers away from that area and then make a sneak attempt for hernendes.

Nevertheless it was an too easy goal to concede. I think the whole set-piece set up that was at fault not just one single player.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
All in all a good performance, we did more than enough to at least get it into extra time. Henderson, Toure and Moses should have scored, and Enrique's mistake was the difference in the end.

At Anfield they were overall the better team while we were the better team in both penalty areas. This time it was the opposite.

Disappointing to go out as we now only have one realistic trophy left to play for, but I saw enough to remain positive about the coming fixtures.

Toure, Skrtel and Mignolet again played really well; Enrique was brilliant apart from that one fatal error, and Henderson had another solid game. Suarez had a decent comeback; almost scored with a signature free kick, and was a poor touch away from getting a clear cut chance after the superb pass from Enrique. Should have done better with it of course, but that'll come once he's fully sharp.

Out, but not down...!

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I'm surprised noone have mentioned how shaky Sakho looks, you can really feel that the tempo of Premier League has surprised him big time. Don't think he's ready for a regular spot yet. I like to see the Toure - Agger Pair when dan is back, but Skrtel also look up to it, and we know him and dagger are a solid pair.

Rodgers might have giving himself an unnecessary headacre finding the best CB pair. The three man defence looks like a solution to it tho. Like to see it again this weekend. That way we can also field both Sturridge and Suarez as a attack pair.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Shame to lose that game, only got to see the first half but apart from the first 10 minutes we controlled the rest of the half.

Fair enough its another loss but in terms of giving Luis a run out (he looked a little rusty but at least he looked keen enough to score for us) it was invaluable

Can't wait for Coutinho to come back into the frame.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Quagmire81 said:
I'm surprised noone have mentioned how shaky Sakho looks, you can really feel that the tempo of Premier League has surprised him big time. Don't think he's ready for a regular spot yet. I like to see the Toure - Agger Pair when dan is back, but Skrtel also look up to it, and we know him and dagger are a solid pair.

Rodgers might have giving himself an unnecessary headacre finding the best CB pair. The three man defence looks like a solution to it tho. Like to see it again this weekend. That way we can also field both Sturridge and Suarez as a attack pair.
Has looked pretty good in these past two games to me.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
ILLOK said:
Has looked pretty good in these past two games to me.
To me he seem, at times, to take a bit too long on the ball, like when stevie passed it back to him in first half and he almost lost it cause he seemed to think he had time to get the ball under control before clearing it.

Also late in the game he gave away the ball with a pass that seemed easy to pull off but landed right at the feet of a united player.

I know it's nitpicking but I've seen that tendacy from him in all the games for us so far, it's only a matter of getting used to the tempo I think, so no big deal, but I can't agree on that he has looked pretty good, decent at best.

Not trying to knock him down with this, I think he's gonna go on and become a fantastic player for us.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
That's something I really don't get. Bringing in Aspas and loaning out Borini. 9m quid that's cost us, and it's no better. We'd have been better leaving it alone and buying Will Hughes. I get Alberto and Ilori and young, but that's a lot of money lashed on 'young' and surely they should be playing at least a minor role.
Having seen Aspas so far this season I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole. He started well in pre-season friendlies but they were against nobodies. At least Borini is young and might develop but Aspas is 26-27 so he's far from a kid. Last night was exactly the type of game he should have played in just as UTD did with Hernandez. I'm all for buying for the future but I cannot see the sense in loaning Suso and buying Alberto either. The signing Ilori is one for the future I'd imagine.

RedSeven

On the one road
Quagmire81 said:

He hasn't filled me with confidence and i look forward to danny getting back in the team

jabu

TIA New Signing
brightonpete said:
Dude,i thought it was like totally an american saying!Maybe ask here,http://forums.thisisanfield.com/index.php?/topic/14973-american-reds/page-7.
i think we going a little off topic here, im from the east coast and we dont say "go whoever" unless u substituting "whoever" for "go reds"... if thats the case then yes u will probably have some fans do that ( go redskins, go ravens, etc)... i think i might have misunderstood the context of "whoever"

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
It's Enrique all over. He's strong as an ox, decent on the ball - but he just switches off. Didn't Carra make some comment on Sky about him not listening to instructions?

Any news on Cissokho ?
Carra said he gave up talking to Jose during games because he wouldn't listen and was likely to do just about anything anyways. He meant Jose just did his own thing regardless of what was said to him by coaches or teammates.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Was at this game and not surprised at some of the scapegoating going on on here :(. Travelling Kop were awesome as usual. team did us proud.

In the main the team adapted to the new system well. We had lots of decent possession, infact many neutrals think we deserved a win, regardless of whether our midfield is the best in the world, or that we had square pegs in round holes due to injury. And I can't help but think posters need to look at the bigger picture when looking a this game. Bar some dire marking by Enrique, Man U didn't really trouble us. Couple of saves for Mignolet, but we certainly weren't outplayed and out thought.

Positives:

Sakho is a very good defender
Kolo - love his never say die attitude
Suarez is back although he looked like a player that needs some games,
Moses is very good
Lucas was excellent unitl his very harsh yellow

Negatives:
The ref, how many times do Sturridge and Suarez need to scythed down from behind before the Man U player gets booked.
Enrique's concentration :(
There is no way Daniel Sturridge is fit
Lucas's booking, seriously, 1 insignificant foul and he gets a yellow - shitehouse ref
Stevie G, affected more and more by old father time

Overall a great night inside the stadium (apart from the result). Outside the stadium I sensed an air of hostility that wasn't particularly pleasant.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
SirBillShankly said:
Thing is, Enrique was marking him when the corner was taken, he should have stuck to Hernandez like glue, but he seemed to switch off for a split second which has become an unfortunate habit of his. It was Jose's responsibility.
We had enough aerial ability with Skrtel, Sahko and Toure out there. Mignolet could have come for it.
I agree with this. Enrique's fucked up, of course, but if someone has volleyed in from inside the six yard box direct from a corner then the keeper has to take some responsibility too. Mignolet is probably the best shot-stopper in the PL but he doesn't really command the box from set-piece situations. I'm not totally convinced he couldn't have come for the Southampton goal last week either. By staying on his line he's putting a lot of pressure on the defenders to deal with the situation. He's a big lad. He should be barging everybody over to get the ball or get barged over himself and win a free kick.

I really thought we'd win last night. We didn't play badly at all and it was a big improvement on Saturday but I don't think anyone can just shrug their shoulders and pretend it doesn't matter. BR was rightly taking this competition very seriously. It's a route back into Europe closed off to us now and the summer showed how much we need European football.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Billy Biskix said:
I agree with this. Enrique's fucked up, of course, but if someone has volleyed in from inside the six yard box direct from a corner then the keeper has to take some responsibility too. Mignolet is probably the best shot-stopper in the PL but he doesn't really command the box from set-piece situations. I'm not totally convinced he couldn't have come for the Southampton goal last week either. By staying on his line he's putting a lot of pressure on the defenders to deal with the situation. He's a big lad. He should be barging everybody over to get the ball or get barged over himself and win a free kick.

I really thought we'd win last night. We didn't play badly at all and it was a big improvement on Saturday but I don't think anyone can just shrug their shoulders and pretend it doesn't matter. BR was rightly taking this competition very seriously. It's a route back into Europe closed off to us now and the summer showed how much we need European football.
It's a piss-poor way to lose a match. All that energy and effort the lads put in just to concede such a sloppy, cheap goal. Criminal is the word that springs to my mind. Mignolet needs to get off his line, be aggressive and come for these kind of crosses.I agree totally with you that the Southampton goal also could and should have been prevented. It's amateurish defending that is not only losing us games but is now affecting the confidence of the side.

How we need a clean sheet and a convincing performance on Sunday otherwise Brendan will start feeling a bit of heat and this place will go into meltdown. :huh:

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
My thoughts on Mignolet are that he has yet to feel fully confident in the defense due to the various injuries we have suffered; Sakho is also new to the equation, so their are bound to be moments such as the conceded goal in this match which was Enrique's fault as he let his man escape! If, that bloody word again - if Enrique had done his job in the first place then the goal would not have been scored. Also Mignolet made a number of decent saves, one from Rooney.

The blame for the defeat must be on those in attack who at times chose the wrong option, like having a shot instead of yet another unnecessary pass - which often went to a Utd defender! Its a painful defeat but it a decent performance - not that difficult after the defeat to Southampton.

Hopefully on Sunday we'll have our shooting boots on!!!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I split the blame on that goal. Absolutely, Enrique's marking was gash on Hernandez. But if you take a look at the two men on the 6-yard box nearest to the corner....Gerrard and Lucas were both "free" at the near post and watch the ball go over their heads.

Considering the setup that ManU started the play with, both of them were caught out of position. Gerrard got a bit of daylight under his boots but he should have headed that ball to safety before it ever got to Hernandez.

refer to goal highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pASHSSecgKE

SF Red

TIA Regular
Semmy said:
I split the blame on that goal. Absolutely, Enrique's marking was gash on Hernandez. But if you take a look at the two men on the 6-yard box nearest to the corner....Gerrard and Lucas were both "free" at the near post and watch the ball go over their heads.

Considering the setup that ManU started the play with, both of them were caught out of position. Gerrard got a bit of daylight under his boots but he should have headed that ball to safety before it ever got to Hernandez.

refer to goal highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pASHSSecgKE
Although you can blame Gerrard for missing that header (wtf was he doing?), IMO you can't really blame Lucas. He is the near post defender who is coming back after Rooney fakes the short corner. That is Gerrard's header to win and he should have won it.

Enrique (mosty), Gerrard (to a significant extent as well), and Mignolet (somewhat but not nearly as culpable as the other 2) were all guilty of making mistakes on the goal IMO.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Better performance than that hodgsonesque dross we saw at the weekend for sure. Also wasn't expecting too much result wise, OT is not a happy venue for us or indeed most teams

But were a few issues again

1. Do we really need to play players with injury issues for the whole 90? Again like in the last round our squad management is a bit toilet. Know Aspas has been poor so far but 30 minutes played in his best position as a striker to not burn out Sturridge might have been more sensibe than another full 90. And we wonder why we burn players out and blame national teams for doing what we are more than capable of doing ourselves on a regular basis every regime, every season. Little seems to be learned, only Rafa really looked after the players in this regard (though he could overdo it sometimes, eventually the necessity was obvious on occasion). Rodgers like many lesser gaffersisn't really doing that. Though happy enough for Suarez to play the full 90 needing fitness and is in any case a bionic man, Sturridge on the other hand is rather more fragile

2. Set piece defending. Is a persistent coaching fault going on there and nothing seems to be done about it. If he doesn't sort it, it may get him the sack eventually

3. Wondering why we spend 20m plus on Aspas, Illori and Alberto and we don't seem confident on even giving them much of a run out in the cups. And we keep banging on about limited resources. This is one reason why we do need a bit more expertise in our recruitment.and please stop Ian Ayre talking to the press about football, he just embarrasses himself

Other than that though...the formation was better than the weekend. Couldn't be any worse really. And feel a front three of Moses, Sturridge and Suarez when set up right has some potential for genuine potency. Just don't burn out the spearhead which should be Sturridge and Aspas should be his cover and his cover only. But feel once that's settled then things should improve. Though our midfield remains a cause of concern

Sakho and Toure would though be in my eyes a workable CB combination. Agger and Skrtel should be made to fight a bit though think the latter may be on his way in January. Despite some better form bar Saturdays goal. Toure's attitude remains impressive though, while others give up, he doesn't stop trying

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Mascot88 said:
I'll tell you what I enjoyed. Henderson getting switched into Lucas' position, and promptly giving away a yellow card foul on the edge of the box.
I bet he doesn't cop the same flak that Lucas gets whenever he does it.
Do you know why because when Rafael beat him at least he had the pace and energy to recover, initially .... not like Lucas when he got rolled by Kagawa!

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Quagmire81 said:
Did you see hernandes movement, anybody could have been fooled. Jose let him go when he went for the front post cause that's suppose to be a area thats protected, it was a poor decision putting Stevie there since he's not very good with headers.

I'm sure united did it on purpose, lure all our best headers away from that area and then make a sneak attempt for hernendes.

Nevertheless it was an too easy goal to concede. I think the whole set-piece set up that was at fault not just one single player.
I've seen Gerrard at the front post defending corners many, many times. Both for England and for us. Usually you'll be able to catch the commentator saying "corner cleared by Gerrard", but this time he really just made a mistake. It's not like he has a track record of missing defensive headers.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
sportbilly1966 said:
Do you know why because when Rafael beat him at least he had the pace and energy to recover, initially .... not like Lucas when he got rolled by Kagawa!
Thought it was Gerrard that got rolled by Kagawa? Anyways Kagawa is a top attacking midfielder player that isn't rated by Moyes, he can roll the best players easy so don't get what your point is.

SirBillShankly said:
It's a piss-poor way to lose a match. All that energy and effort the lads put in just to concede such a sloppy, cheap goal. Criminal is the word that springs to my mind. Mignolet needs to get off his line, be aggressive and come for these kind of crosses.I agree totally with you that the Southampton goal also could and should have been prevented. It's amateurish defending that is not only losing us games but is now affecting the confidence of the side.

How we need a clean sheet and a convincing performance on Sunday otherwise Brendan will start feeling a bit of heat and this place will go into meltdown. :huh:
More worried that even after the great start we had, that's gone by the way, we are still the same as last season. We depend on largely the same players. Only significant signing is adding depth to CB in Sakho and new GK Mignolet. But more importantly is that we still aren't a proper attacking team or defensive team nor a balanced one either. We started this season very defensive, score a goal and sit back. Then we started to concede goals, silly goals too! Match winners to boot!

Sure there are a bunch of excuses to be made like half fit Sturridge, Suarez's first match back, missing a few players, etc. but the mentality of the squad is just as weak as it was last season. No faith shown in Alberto when he'd slip right into Moses' position with ease but was shown to Sterling who isn't an AM! Aspas didn't get used but a half fit Sturridge is played the entire match? Why spend 20m on Alberto, Aspas and Ilori if you're not going to play them?

I'm thinking there are way too many questions aimed at Rodgers now then most expected a few weeks ago.

Stephenelson

Lucas never should be a defensive midfielder protecting the back four its a specialist role played by Mascherano and Alonso et al his contribution should be higher up the field.

We have two players in that role not linking enough with the attacking options.
Love the look of Alberto, positive,pacey with an eye for goal needs a chance