Post Match: Everton 0-0 Liverpool (EPL 3/3/19 4.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 113 82.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum [off 63’]

• Salah

• Mane [off 84’]

• Origi [off 63’]

• Milner [on 63’]

• Firmino [on 63’]

• Lallana [on 84’]

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
That's all true but my main concern is that we're creating too few of them and our finishing is making things even worse. Lots have been saying that we've faced some difficult opposition and while that is true, you'd also expect us to be far better in the final third. Wasn't expecting to blow them apart but still some flow and some structure to our attack were the bare minimuns and we didn't even do that.

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday with some of our interplay or better put lack of it. A bunch of strangers speaking different languages would have made a more cohesive team than that.
Hard to argue with this.

Toro

Florida Red
Too much negativity!

At the beginning of the season, if offered to be 1 point behind City with 9 matches remaining, and City having a more difficult schedule, every single poster here would have taken it.

We were crap yesterday. But this was always going to be a hard test. We aren’t going to be top drawer for 38 matches in a season.

Context, people!

Red Eyes

We are struggling to score away from home, there's too much pressure on the front three to score all the time. I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a bit deflated, these draws are proving to be very costly.
There is way too much pressure on the front line to score.

Mo is only one behind Aguero on 17 PL goals this season, Sadio is fifth highest scorer on 14. Bobby and Shaq have 9 and 6 respective, so between them those four have 46 PL goals. Maybe they should have had a couple more, but overall they are doing ok.

Between them, Gini, Fabinho and Milner only have six all season.

Thankfully Virgil grabbed a couple last week, but before that VVD, Matip, Trent, Lovren and Robertson only had 6 between them all season.

In comparison City have eight players who have scored five or more. When teams park the bus, the threat that we carry is more concentrated and easier to negate than theirs.

I agree with a previous poster that we need an attacking midfielder.....Coutinho was getting 13 goals a season before he left

Red Eyes

From an earlier poster:

if anyone says you'd have took been 1 point behind at this point of the season I'll throttle the cunt.

At the beginning of the season, if offered to be 1 point behind City with 9 matches remaining, and City having a more difficult schedule, every single poster here would have taken it.
Just saying!

Red over the water

We have to learn from this, regroup - and quickly, and go on another run. We had the chances to easily win that game but it wasn’t to be. The performace level wasn’t too bad for a derby as we were in control and we had 3-4 good goal scoring chances. The finishing showed a lot of tension, and we have to knock that on the head and play the game in front of us. Everton looked a bit stronger near the end, and their subs gave them a bit more oomph. Ours did not. So a point was earned.

So what about that title?

Man City are a juggernaut. They are FFP cheats and there’s more to come on that, provided their expensive lawyers haven’t scared the authorities. But we have to look at it as a football contest. Yes, they have more depth than us; yes, they’ve done it before - with last season’s 100 point haul a useful thing to have in the recent muscle memory; and yes, they have at least two class players for every position. But we cannot focus on any of that, as it almost gives permission to be runners up. We have to focus on the football.

So, nine games to go. Can City win all nine? Yes they can. Will they? Probably not. Will they fall apart? Probably not. I’d say we are looking at them dropping points in one or two games from now until the end of the season. Man Utd fans would prefer that Man City won the title, but the players will be giving their all to finish top four. With Arsenal and Chelsea going strong in that fight, and Spurs possibly getting pegged back to a four way fight for two top four spots, Man Utd will be fighting tooth and nail to achieve their own ambitions. I think they will draw with City.

Is there another game or two where City might drop points? It’s quite possible, but I think dropping points in one or two games, rather than none or 3+ games, is the zone where they will be. They have their eye on the prize and they are starting to dig in and show real resolve. Even without it clicking at the moment they have just rattled off a couple of 1-0 wins to get their noses in front.

So if City win 8 and draw 1 we will have to be perfect.
I think they will win 7 and draw 2.

No matter what they do, many have rightly pointed out that we need to beat them by 2 points over the final nine games. Our current form, plus history - that 29 year gap adds a lot of weight, will make that very difficult. But we can still do it and must believe that we will.

My best guess is 8 wins and a draw will see us win the title on 95 points to their 94.
I’d say we have maybe a 25% chance of that, but we have to regroup pronto and get some wins on the board.

Last edited:

Red over the water

One week at a time, I reckon.
I think this is spot on. I wrote a longer post trying to imagine how it might pan out and I really can’t see us winning it with less than 8 wins and a draw from this point on, but you never know, and one game at a time is quite right!

What will be important is to not let them open up more of a gap, especially as they look to have a few easier games coming up. If they do stumble, we have to be ready to pass them.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
It was a bit baffling.
When Plan A and Plan B haven't worked, and your Plan C is Lalana, then you're pretty much pissing into the wind.
Especially when Plan B was Plan A with a different name.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Just been to a shopping centre. Never really noticed before how many bluenoses there are around..lots of Everton baseball caps and trackie tops in evidence today for some reason....:think:
Yeah, no dress sense ;-)

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Rafa was also up against a club that cheated their way to titles, Manchester U. You don't win PL titles by being fair. The last club that won the PL in a fair way Leicester and before that Arsenal. It is easy to forget that.

We don't draw to many games. We are up against clubs that cheat their way to success. As already been mentioned. It is like an athlete that don't use drugs trying to win against drug cheaters. Cheaters that use heavy stuff that make them almost impossible to beat.

We are up against the Lance Armstrong of football, Manchester C.
Can we stop with this utterly bizarre rhetoric that we have not won anything due to other teams cheating. Its pretty pathetic, I despise this notion as it makes us sound petty and weak.

We haven't been good enough, for fucks sake most of the time we've not even been close.

We now are and we had it in our own hands and we stuttered. I hope to Fowler himself we steady ourselves and await the stutter from those pale blue shite and take back our destiny.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We need to take more risks in these big games, Jurgen is playing it a bit too safe for me.

Origi should have stayed on the pitch and Bobby gone into the 10. It was such an obvious move but those 2 subs killed our rhythm. Lallana? For fucks sake.

Still, Salah should have won it for us on 3 different occasions.

Elessar

Can we stop with this utterly bizarre rhetoric that we have not won anything due to other teams cheating. Its pretty pathetic, I despise this notion as it makes us sound petty and weak.

We haven't been good enough, for fucks sake most of the time we've not even been close.

We now are and we had it in our own hands and we stuttered. I hope to Fowler himself we steady ourselves and await the stutter from those pale blue shite and take back our destiny.
Maybe you find it pathetic but Manchester U cheated their way to many of their titles and Manchester C the same. Maybe you don't care if they cheat but because they do clubs that don't do it get it much more difficult to win the PL. It is a fact.

It would be much easier if we got a free £100m player every season that don't count when it comes down to FFP. That is what Man C get more or less.

So it isn't pathetic. That is the main reason to why we have not won the PL many times the last 20 years or so.

Ferguson was allowed according to Rafa to visit the referees in their dressing room after the first half. That is cheating. Then you look at how much say they had when it comes down to who will ref their games. Clear evidence out there that referees got "suspended" from refereeing their games the result didn't go Uniteds way. That is cheating and cost other teams points, money and trophies.

So you can call it pathetic if you want but if people like you put the head in the sand and don't speak up against the cheating then we will have much less chance to win the league.

Elessar

When we lost out to United 08/09 then we lost to a club that cheated their way to it with the help of the FA.

When we lost the title to City then we lost it to a club that cheated their way to the title thanks to the FA/UEFA and FIFA.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Maybe you find it pathetic but Manchester U cheated their way to many of their titles and Manchester C the same. Maybe you don't care if they cheat but because they do clubs that don't do it get it much more difficult to win the PL. It is a fact.

It would be much easier if we got a free £100m player every season that don't count when it comes down to FFP. That is what Man C get more or less.

So it isn't pathetic. That is the main reason to why we have not won the PL many times the last 20 years or so.

Ferguson was allowed according to Rafa to visit the referees in their dressing room after the first half. That is cheating. Then you look at how much say they had when it comes down to who will ref their games. Clear evidence out there that referees got "suspended" from refereeing their games the result didn't go Uniteds way. That is cheating and cost other teams points, money and trophies.

So you can call it pathetic if you want but if people like you put the head in the sand and don't speak up against the cheating then we will have much less chance to win the league.
Come on, Utd won the league because they bought the best players and spent a fortune doing so funded by them being at the forefront of excellent Commercial expansion. They typically had 4 world class strikers on their books at anytime. They also raided their rivals at will to strengthen themselves whilst weakening a rival. Fergie visiting the refs at half time has no relevance to them knocking us off our perch. It's all very small man arguments, it's what I'd expect from Everton.

Foldy

Was at the doctor's this morning with mine. Lobbed it on the table, size of a bloody snooker ball. The fecker fell about laughing !!! "Thanks a lot" , I says. "I'll be fecked if I'm showing you the swollen one now !!!!"
Ba bum tssh! lol

sms1986

When we lost out to United 08/09 then we lost to a club that cheated their way to it with the help of the FA.

When we lost the title to City then we lost it to a club that cheated their way to the title thanks to the FA/UEFA and FIFA.
It couldn't just be that these teams were better than us over the course of a season?

Elessar

Come on, Utd won the league because they bought the best players and spent a fortune doing so funded by them being at the forefront of excellent Commercial expansion. They typically had 4 world class strikers on their books at anytime. They also raided their rivals at will to strengthen themselves whilst weakening a rival. Fergie visiting the refs at half time has no relevance to them knocking us off our perch. It's all very small man arguments, it's what I'd expect from Everton.
So it won't matter that United won a few games every season thanks to the referees? That they probably got 10+ points a season thanks to the referees?

Red over the water

I think City are cheating via FFP, and they have various financial schemes in place to cook the books. What we’ve heard so far is news of the inflated sponsorship stuff e.g. the Etihad deal was worth something like £10M on the open market, but it was inflated to £60M after Mansour sweetened it for all involved. I may have the numbers slightly wrong, but that’s what I remember from the Der Spiegel stuff.

And there’s more to come. At the least, you would have to think that City have various inter-company ways to siphon money this way and that to try to bypass the rules. It remains to be seen whether or not there is the will to get to the bottom of it and punish them appropriately.

However...

We have to focus on the football and do all we can do. If we start to talk about the other stuff, we almost give ourselves permission to be runners up. “Well, they are cheats, what can you do?”

Our focus has to be on winning our games. Man City are crooks, but it is up to the authorities to deal with that. It’s on us to get what we need on the football pitch, and better finishing against Everton was well within our grasp, and nothing to do with Man City, but we couldn’t manage it!

sms1986

We ended up finishing second in 13/14 because we messed up a couple of times and City were able to capitalise on that.

Also, if United and City get all this help, are you also saying Leicester benefited from it too? That season they finished far above both Manchester clubs.

Elessar

It couldn't just be that these teams were better than us over the course of a season?
We will never find out if they was better than us or not because we don't know how many free points they got thanks to the referees and the FA.

I want a fair league so you can say that the best team won but right now with all the cheating going on you can't.

We more or less know that City cheat and they win many points thanks to their squad depth that they wouldn't have if they didn't cheat. It is called financial doping for a reason. It isn't allowed. They cheat and should be kicked out from the PL.

We have put in a lot of hard work to get us to the financial position we now are in. City cheated their way to their success.

sms1986

We will never find out if they was better than us or not because we don't know how many free points they got thanks to the referees and the FA.

I want a fair league so you can say that the best team won but right now with all the cheating going on you can't.

We more or less know that City cheat and they win many points thanks to their squad depth that they wouldn't have if they didn't cheat. It is called financial doping for a reason. It isn't allowed. They cheat and should be kicked out from the PL.

We have put in a lot of hard work to get us to the financial position we now are in. City cheated their way to their success.
So what happens if another club beats us to the title? Are they also getting this help?

Chung

TIA Moderator
We've scored more goals from set pieces than anyone else in the league.
Yet someone earlier on in the thread claimed we are shit at scoring from set pieces.
Is this true? Heard the commentary say something along the lines of best for set pieces and worst for set pieces, but I thought they were talking about defending (our defence and theirs!) not attacking?!

errr... Watford at home, just five days ago? :eh?:
People really have to stop looking at these sides that we should be beating, like Watford, like Bournemouth etc. it's a given, a no brainer for who we are. I know we can only play and beat those we're on the pitch against but please don't use these teams as a yardstick for our performance levels.
How we play against teams in the top 5/6, how we play against the big teams in the CL, that's how we should be measured! Not how we perform against shitty pissy teams like Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth etc. we should be rolling them with our second 11 let alone use them as a yardstick!!!

The Mancs earlier in the season, or Arsenal, the home game against PSG, those are the performance levels we should expect week in week out no matter what. And I'm sorry but those games aside (ok there may be a couple of others which have slipped my mind) we've been pish since the beginning of the season and getting away with it. Making what should be routine victories over Brighton, Leicester, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Arse away and the like a bit of a struggle, but getting away with it. Napoli, PSG and Red Star away, rubbish, just like the performance yesterday and the week before, against West ham and Leicester, the home game against the bluenoses.

Red over the water

As for Man Utd, the biggest factors to their sustained period of success were Alex Ferguson (can’t stand him, but he is one of the greatest managers the game has seen) and the club being quick to exploit the commercial side of the game, and build up a significant financial advantage, on the back of a large fan base, prior to oil money coming into the game. Ferguson was a top football man and he built several excellent teams. Yes, he was an arse, and bitter, and petulant, and a bully, and he - hilariously, got slapped down by the Irish horse fellas when he fell out with them; but using the platform he had to exert some pressure on the ref, distasteful as it was, was not the reason for their sustained success.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
Just been to a shopping centre. Never really noticed before how many bluenoses there are around..lots of Everton baseball caps and trackie tops in evidence today for some reason....:think:
What are they celebrating?
A goalless draw that doesn‘t take them anywhere?

Elessar

So what happens if another club beats us to the title? Are they also getting this help?
Depends.

Think about it this way. Manchester U most probably won a few titles thanks to their cheating and thanks to that got better and better sponsorship deals. That means that they could pay much better wages and pay much higher transfer fees.

Elessar

As for Man Utd, the biggest factors to their sustained period of success were Alex Ferguson (can’t stand him, but he is one of the greatest managers the game has seen) and the club being quick to exploit the commercial side of the game, and build up a significant financial advantage, on the back of a large fan base, prior to oil money coming into the game. Ferguson was a top football man and he built several excellent teams. Yes, he was an arse, and bitter, and petulant, and a bully, and he - hilariously, got slapped down by the Irish horse fellas when he fell out with them; but using the platform he had to exert some pressure on the ref, distasteful as it was, was not the reason for their sustained success.
Sorry but I can't call a manager that don't give a shit about fair play and on purpose destroyed many referees careers only to win games and titles.

I don't rate what he did in the PL at all because we don't know how many of his titles he won thanks to cheating. What he did with Aberdeen was excellent but not what he did at United.

He is a cheat that should have been thrown out of the game.

If he had acted like Klopp and Rafa then what he did at United would have been fantastic.