Post Match: Everton 0-0 Liverpool (EPL 3/3/19 4.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 113 82.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum [off 63’]

• Salah

• Mane [off 84’]

• Origi [off 63’]

• Milner [on 63’]

• Firmino [on 63’]

• Lallana [on 84’]

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red over the water

Sorry but I can't call a manager that don't give a shit about fair play and on purpose destroyed many referees careers only to win games and titles.

I don't rate what he did in the PL at all because we don't know how many of his titles he won thanks to cheating. What he did with Aberdeen was excellent but not what he did at United.

He is a cheat that should have been thrown out of the game.

If he had acted like Klopp and Rafa then what he did at United would have been fantastic.
I liked your post because I respect my fellow Liverpool fans. So when they show their hatred for Man Utd and contempt for Ferguson it all seems fair enough! I can’t stand them either, but was just giving my tuppence worth on their success. Mind you, it’s not a topic I want to dwell on!

* shakes hand *

Incognito

The Normal One
Not sure about team performance, but Watford and Bournemouth were the only games this year when post match threads didn't cross 10 pages for reasons unknown!

Chung

TIA Moderator
Not sure about team performance, but Watford and Bournemouth were the only games this year when post match threads didn't cross 10 pages for reasons unknown!
Cos they were routine victories which are expected

And whilst I'm on it, has there been a game where so many players first touch was so bad so often?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
mate im 55 fucking grow up will you...am i not allowed to give my opinion or shall we call this the mascot88 forum?as i said apart from the watford and Bournemouth games we have been pretty poor since Christmas!!
If you are going to post whoppers like we’ve been crap all season, then expect shit to come your way.

Being entitled to your opinion doesn’t mean other people aren’t allowed to tell you it’s bollocks.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Sorry but I can't call a manager that don't give a shit about fair play and on purpose destroyed many referees careers only to win games and titles.

I don't rate what he did in the PL at all because we don't know how many of his titles he won thanks to cheating. What he did with Aberdeen was excellent but not what he did at United.

He is a cheat that should have been thrown out of the game.

If he had acted like Klopp and Rafa then what he did at United would have been fantastic.
That is absolute tin foil hat rubbish. Fergie was an absolute bell end, but he and United won all those titles fair and square.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Too much negativity!

At the beginning of the season, if offered to be 1 point behind City with 9 matches remaining, and City having a more difficult schedule, every single poster here would have taken it.

We were crap yesterday. But this was always going to be a hard test. We aren’t going to be top drawer for 38 matches in a season.

Context, people!
I don't think a point away to Everton in the derby is necessarily bad and I still think we are in with a good chance to win the title. But this argument is running thin.

We used it when we lost to City and were 4 instead of 7 points clear. We used it after the West Ham/Leicester matches when we were 1 instead of 4 points clear. Now we are using it when we are 1 behind instead of 1 ahead after the Everton match.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
That is absolute tin foil hat rubbish. Fergie was an absolute bell end, but he and United won all those titles fair and square.
Maybe more acurate to say af fairly and squarely as anybody else? Don’t break the rules, operate within every mm of them.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I’d have still taken it in August. Even though the argument gets hollow after a run of average form. Would still have taken it though.

I think what’s burning out heads is the clustered nature of the dropped points. If you could take a couple of the draws over the last few weeks and transplant them to the autumn when we were winning game after game, then nobody would be annoyed now. We’d all be focussing on the positive and chuffed we’d stayed right up Citeh’s arses.

But it’s the fact that we could have been so clear of City at this point, that is frustrating. In reality though,when you look at the season as a whole, ignore where the points have been dropped, what we’ve done this season is a cause for celebration and admiration. To have got more points on the board than we’ve ever had in the Premier League, only bettered once in our illustrious history is really impressive.

Elessar

If you think cheating is fair then they won their titles fair and square. Maybe you should ask why Rafa wasn't banned a single game after his "rant". He accused the FA being corrupt. The worst accusation a manager as far as I know have ever done. Why wasn't he banned a single game?

sms1986

If you think cheating is fair then they won their titles fair and square. Maybe you should ask why Rafa wasn't banned a single game after his "rant". He accused the FA being corrupt. The worst accusation a manager as far as I know have ever done. Why wasn't he banned a single game?
Are you saying that because they didn't do anything, that's them admitting that they are corrupt? If they had done something, would you then be saying that's proof of them being corrupt instead?

Monument Mark

After Luis left, this club was on its knees.

Brendan Rogers then spent a whole summer investing huge money in mediocrity.

Jurgen Klopp, being the decent guy he is, tried his best to make the most of what he had but I'm sure deep down he knew he would have to change a lot of things over time. To give him credit, he has done very well and our squad has been getting better and better.

There's still some way to go and the derby will at least have proved to Jurgen that further investment is necessary.

I don't think we'll finish less than runners up so that already would be a huge improvement on the club's position when Jurgen arrived - i.e. just a Europa League club. Now, we don't even worry about CL qualification because top 4 is a given under him.

As I said earlier today, it's clear to me we need a world class striker to do at the front what Virgil has done at the back.

Regardless of the issue of 'favourites', Jurgen has brought in a lot of classy players (Alisson, Virgil, Andy, Mo, Sadio, Gini, Fabinho, Shaq, Joel and Naby) and has developed two youth players Trent and Joe.

Whatever happens between now and May, I think he's doing a really good job.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Re Everton. Walcott is stealing a living every week and how shit is that Bernard? No wonder he was a free.

bleh

After Luis left, this club was on its knees.

Brendan Rogers then spent a whole summer investing huge money in mediocrity.

Jurgen Klopp, being the decent guy he is, tried his best to make the most of what he had but I'm sure deep down he knew he would have to change a lot of things over time. To give him credit, he has done very well and our squad has been getting better and better.

There's still some way to go and the derby will at least have proved to Jurgen that further investment is necessary.

I don't think we'll finish less than runners up so that already would be a huge improvement on the club's position when Jurgen arrived - i.e. just a Europa League club. Now, we don't even worry about CL qualification because top 4 is a given under him.

As I said earlier today, it's clear to me we need a world class striker to do at the front what Virgil has done at the back.

Regardless of the issue of 'favourites', Jurgen has brought in a lot of classy players (Alisson, Virgil, Andy, Mo, Sadio, Gini, Fabinho, Shaq, Joel and Naby) and has developed two youth players Trent and Joe.

Whatever happens between now and May, I think he's doing a really good job.

Agree with you for the most part, just not with the point about a world class striker to do what Virgil has done at the back. Isn't that the role of front 3 though, the way we play I'm glad we aren't dependent on a single guy to score goals for us.

For depth and competition upfront I completely understand if we have to invest, but we do not need to break the world record fee for a world class striker at this point like we did with Virgil, if we weren't scoring as much and it was causing us too many issues I would have given that idea a second thought, but we are much better placed upfront than we were at the back when we bought in Virgil, just need to tune it a little bit and add some quality depth upfront and we should be good for the future.

Red Eyes

I’d have still taken it in August. Even though the argument gets hollow after a run of average form. Would still have taken it though.

I think what’s burning out heads is the clustered nature of the dropped points. If you could take a couple of the draws over the last few weeks and transplant them to the autumn when we were winning game after game, then nobody would be annoyed now. We’d all be focussing on the positive and chuffed we’d stayed right up Citeh’s arses.

But it’s the fact that we could have been so clear of City at this point, that is frustrating. In reality though,when you look at the season as a whole, ignore where the points have been dropped, what we’ve done this season is a cause for celebration and admiration. To have got more points on the board than we’ve ever had in the Premier League, only bettered once in our illustrious history is really impressive.

I think what you say is right.....however I’d add that it’s also the timing of our clusters dropped points that’s burning out heads.

Something changed around New Year, or early 2019.

Our twelve matches up to Dec 29th were 11 wins and 1 draw (away to Arsenal).

Our nine matches since Jan 3 have been 4 draws, 4 wins, 1 loss.

If we had the current run of nine matches early in the season but the same number of total points now......everyone would happy as we would have the momentum of a steam train, and the confidence that goes with it.

As it is, we have lost momentum and it’s hard to get it back.....plus we are slowly starting to run out of time getting it back.

City have it unfortunately at the moment.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
People really have to stop looking at these sides that we should be beating, like Watford, like Bournemouth etc. it's a given, a no brainer for who we are. I know we can only play and beat those we're on the pitch against but please don't use these teams as a yardstick for our performance levels.
How we play against teams in the top 5/6, how we play against the big teams in the CL, that's how we should be measured! Not how we perform against shitty pissy teams like Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth etc. we should be rolling them with our second 11 let alone use them as a yardstick!!!

The Mancs earlier in the season, or Arsenal, the home game against PSG, those are the performance levels we should expect week in week out no matter what. And I'm sorry but those games aside (ok there may be a couple of others which have slipped my mind) we've been pish since the beginning of the season and getting away with it. Making what should be routine victories over Brighton, Leicester, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Arse away and the like a bit of a struggle, but getting away with it. Napoli, PSG and Red Star away, rubbish, just like the performance yesterday and the week before, against West ham and Leicester, the home game against the bluenoses.
Eh? The guy asked: when have we ever been brilliant this season. This game came to my mind as the first one. We were brilliant, both defensively and in front of goal. And frankly, to take a 5 nil win against the seventh placed in the league as a given smacks of unbearable arrogance. That's more like a comment from a spoilt oil-sheikh fan, rather than one of a long-standing LFC fan. Almost worthy of the hall of shame thread, that one... ;-)

santana

yes !
klopp is one of the legends and he play in safe mode because of the title issue and you can not blame him because all liverpool's fan want the trophy but i have another view i think building a magical team is the target and after that we seek trophies !

Neukolln

And whilst I'm on it, has there been a game where so many players first touch was so bad so often?
As a footnote to the match, I thought the same thing. For both sides. The ball seemed unusually lively and players were having a difficult time with touch.

Chung

TIA Moderator
Eh? The guy asked: when have we ever been brilliant this season. This game came to my mind as the first one. We were brilliant, both defensively and in front of goal. And frankly, to take a 5 nil win against the seventh placed in the league as a given smacks of unbearable arrogance. That's more like a comment from a spoilt oil-sheikh fan, rather than one of a long-standing LFC fan. Almost worthy of the hall of shame thread, that one... ;-)
Theres a hall of shame thread? :indifferent:
Ok maybe I went into a slight rant, but I do, have done and always will expect us to dispatch any team outside of the top 5 with relative ease. I wouldn't call it arrogance, it's what I've been brought up expect having supported them since the late 70's, when has being a fan ever meant being a realist or rational?

Now I've gone off topic. Anyway, we were shit, we know what this team and manager can do, can they both just go out and bloody do it before I die of age related diseases :-(

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Theres a hall of shame thread? :indifferent:
Ok maybe I went into a slight rant, but I do, have done and always will expect us to dispatch any team outside of the top 5 with relative ease. I wouldn't call it arrogance, it's what I've been brought up expect having supported them since the late 70's, when has being a fan ever meant being a realist or rational?

Now I've gone off topic. Anyway, we were shit, we know what this team and manager can do, can they both just go out and bloody do it before I die of age related diseases :-(
It can be hard to wait so long for a trophy, I know... :(( Nevertheless, we aren't in the seventies or eighties anymore. Fact is that we have been beyond mediocre for at least a decade now (2014 was more a fluke than anything else). This is something which would be unfair to put on the current players and on Klopp.

For the first time, thanks to them, we are getting near, and I fully understand that the last step is the most difficult for everyone. For them and for us.

But it's as it is. The lads have done brilliantly, but aren't there yet. They are experiencing moments of brilliance, but mixed with more difficult moments (where they just have to fight their way out of it, which they do most of the time now). We can't blame them for that, it's part of their development curve. How could anyone in his right mind expect perfect consistency from Trent for instance, or from other young players in the team? Against Everton, Trent was good, but not as good as against Watford. Entirely normal. Everton were quite well organised to be fair with them, and asked a lot of questions out of our lads. That's something which shouldn't be underestimated. But we managed to keep the nil at the back, and could have nicked it with a bit more luck. It wasn't to be, no reason to despair.

The moment everything clicks together will come, but I've said it all along: patience is required because Klopp has been facing a 100% rebuild work, and is not finished yet by any means. Maybe we'll have to be patient beyond this season, given the strength of the juggernauts we are trying to compete with. Sorry, mate. I know, it hurts...

santana

befor fabinho and keita
we were talking a bout a team with a good level not super level but after we brought fabinho and keita ( african pele ) we are talking a bout a champion level so draw or even loss will not change that this team is a magic team !

shadyghalab

Believer not a doubter
The last three titles that city won, They never went the last nine games unbeaten.

- 2011/2012 - 2 Draws and 1 Loss.

- 2013/2014 - 2 Draws and 1 Loss.

2017/2018 - 1 Draw and 1 Loss.

Hopefully they will bottle it, The pressure on them now, We just need to believe and support all the way till the end.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
May be because Henderson did not start in those games? :tongue::tongue::tongue:

TheSweetSilverSong

Klopp seems to have a mindset against the big teams to go with a more solid, workman like midfield and time and time again it never works.

Chelsea (H) : Milner, Fab, Keita = Lost

Chelsea (A) : Milner, Gini, Hendo = Draw

Man City (H) : Milner, Gini, Hendo = Draw

Arsenal (A) : Milner, Fab, Gini = Draw

Red Star (A) : Milner, Gini, Lallana = Lost

PSG (A) : Milner, Gini, Hendo = Lost

Napoli (A) : Milner, Gini, Keita (Henderson came on after 19mins for Keita. = Lost

Wolves (A) : Weakened team FA CUP = Lost

Man City (A) : Milner, Hendo, Gini = Lost

Leicester (H) : Gini, Keita, Shaq = Draw

West Ham (A) : Fab, Keita, Lallana = Draw

Bayern (H) : Hendo, Gini, Keita = Draw

Man Utd (A) : Hendo, Fab, Gini = Draw

Everton (A) : Hendo, Fab, Gini = Draw

My problem isnt the players its the fact that for majority of the "Big games" Klopp seems to play it safe and usually reverts to his "trusted" "safe" 3 man midfield with no creativity and no ambition, defensively it provides stability but going forward offers very little.

Only 2 of the goals which were scored in these games with points dropped I believe have come from James Milner against Arsenal and PSG.

Just also realised I dont think Salah scored in any of the games we lost or drew this season. Interesting

Also it seems Klopp's go to midfield used to be Hendo, Milner and Gini, now it seems that Fabinho has replaced Milner in that 3 man combo.

But ultimately my point is even yesterday when we introduced Firmino we should of kept Origi, Mane and Salah on the pitch dispite how crap he was playing and unless Klopp shows ambition we're not going to win anything. Obviously there are other factors but Klopp seems to think his go to midfield is gonna win us games and to be honest it hasn't worked.

Like I said there's many factors but I believe this midfield issue needs to be sorted. Maybe a Coutinho replacement in the summer would be a start.
Good stuff posting this mate! Indeed. And I think the best midfield we have right now vs teams that will sit back and will be tough to break, would be Fabinho-Gini-Keita (although last night I'd say Id' sub Gini for Keita instead of Henderson, but it was the exception), even though Keita is still getting there. Based on his last performances, each one better than the previous and very close to scoring/earning pen. And a midfield that would be solid enough on its own, while helping both the defence and the attack. Plus Ox would probably be an option to rotate with Keita once available, if he can come and play to a very high level.
vs teams that come and play we'd need more pressers, like Milner and Henderson, and keep the more creative ones like Keita and Ox to come from the bench.

The Fabinho-Gini-Hendo midfield doesn't work vs teams that try not to lose, and the two times we've used it was in such games, vs Utd and Everton. Bad idea, and probably cost us the game to a degree.

The only game I see as difficult for City is their derby game against their city rivals, but them knowing if we win the title it will put us only one title win behind them, will Utd give their all? I'm thinking not. So which team are going to put a spanner in City's works? In a word nobody. It hurst me to say it, but it's going to be one helluva struggle to pip them for the title. I HOPE I AM WRONG. :-(
Did you see Newcastle as a difficult game for them back in 1st half of the season? And why wouldn't Utd play to win 4th spot and play Champions League next season? To mess it up for us? Would that make sense, would that be worth it for them? I don't think so.
It's gonna be a helluva ride, and it will be very hard indeed. Let's be up for it, both us with as much belief as we can muster, and the team, with as best a reaction as possible!

This!
This perspective! A relief to see this written by other posters too! Started thinking I was fooling myself....getting paranoid....

I think what you say is right.....however I’d add that it’s also the timing of our clusters dropped points that’s burning out heads.

Something changed around New Year, or early 2019.

Our twelve matches up to Dec 29th were 11 wins and 1 draw (away to Arsenal).

Our nine matches since Jan 3 have been 4 draws, 4 wins, 1 loss.

If we had the current run of nine matches early in the season but the same number of total points now......everyone would happy as we would have the momentum of a steam train, and the confidence that goes with it.

As it is, we have lost momentum and it’s hard to get it back.....plus we are slowly starting to run out of time getting it back.

City have it unfortunately at the moment.
Spot on! - that's what our main difficulty will be: to turn it around and gain a good momentum, the same way City did after their bad patch. In other words, whether we'll be able to react immediately.

The last three titles that city won, They never went the last nine games unbeaten.

- 2011/2012 - 2 Draws and 1 Loss.

- 2013/2014 - 2 Draws and 1 Loss.

2017/2018 - 1 Draw and 1 Loss.

Hopefully they will bottle it, The pressure on them now, We just need to believe and support all the way till the end.
Great post, thanks for adding it to the mix! Gives a nice perspective to what I was trying to point out earlier too, for anyone saying "it's in their hands"!
The main issue right now is whether we'll be able to react and start a lasting winning run, and not whether we or City control their fate.
Neither team really does at this point.

Limiescouse

Good stuff posting this mate! Indeed. And I think the best midfield we have right now vs teams that will sit back and will be tough to break, would be Fabinho-Gini-Keita (although last night I'd say Id' sub Gini for Keita instead of Henderson, but it was the exception), even though Keita is still getting there. Based on his last performances, each one better than the previous and very close to scoring/earning pen. And a midfield that would be solid enough on its own, while helping both the defence and the attack. Plus Ox would probably be an option to rotate with Keita once available, if he can come and play to a very high level.
vs teams that come and play we'd need more pressers, like Milner and Henderson, and keep the more creative ones like Keita and Ox to come from the bench.

The Fabinho-Gini-Hendo midfield doesn't work vs teams that try not to lose, and the two times we've used it was in such games, vs Utd and Everton. Bad idea, and probably cost us the game to a degree.
I don't think Everton went out to try not to lose. Derbies are traditionally a game that are hectic and requires players to physically compete AND rise above the fight to apply moments of quality when they present themselves. In modern football, with the growth in acceptance of the "low block" or bus parking, Everton, to their credit, went out and played like an old fashioned derby. They didnt sit back and instead competed for the ball in as many areas as they could. That meant that it is difficult to get foothold, but does mean there are opportunities to play if you can get the ball into the right areas quickly enough. For all the bitching and moaning we did that. We created 3 clear as day chances (2 Mo break aways and Fab's effort from VVD's knock down) that we would normally expect to score all 3 of. To score from none is criminal. Ordinarily you might say that is an issue of quality, but I think we know the quality is there from those players, so I think it has to be down to just one of those things. However, it is down to those margins that titles are won and lost. Will that be enough for us to have now lost the title? Maybe. But if it is, I dont think we can put it down to Klopp's decision making seeing as the side he put out rose above the mayhem, won the physical battle and did so while showing enough quality to create clear chances we should have scored from.

Last edited:

Red Eyes

befor fabinho and keita
we were talking a bout a team with a good level not super level but after we brought fabinho and keita ( african pele ) we are talking a bout a champion level so draw or even loss will not change that this team is a magic team !
I would love Keith to be the African Pele, and hope he transitions to that point one day.

However at the moment he is the African Aquilani, who Klopp has next to no trust in unfortunately.

yiannos33

Believe
This just made it a lot harder to win title. We need to win 8 of our last 9 games to have a chance. City will
loose points. They have the derby away and it looks like a must win for United to get top four.