Post Match: Everton 0-0 Liverpool (EPL 3/3/19 4.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 113 82.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum [off 63’]

• Salah

• Mane [off 84’]

• Origi [off 63’]

• Milner [on 63’]

• Firmino [on 63’]

• Lallana [on 84’]

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’ve stayed away from listening to the radio today, especially Talksport, because I knew what it would be like after yesterday’s result. It appears I made the right decision.
Our manager, so I’ve been told, has been subjected to some heavy criticism, from presenters, and people claiming to be Liverpool fans. I expect the likes of Adrian Durham and Alan Brazil to have a go at JK, because it’s their job, but for so called fans of LFC to actually go on air and spout their venom, is beyond me, I don’t understand it.
JK is the best we’ve had for a long time, just look where we are now and how far we’ve come since he arrived. Yes, he makes mistakes, but I wouldn’t swap him.
If these are genuine LFC fans, and I’ve got my doubts about that, what exactly do they want? Who would they replace JK with? I’ll bet they can’t answer that question.
The only thing I want to say to these fans is, we don’t need you, go away and join the Citeh bandwagon and their army of plastic fans.

Limiescouse

This just made it a lot harder to win title. We need to win 8 of our last 9 games to have a chance. City will
loose points. They have the derby away and it looks like a must win for United to get top four.
The game also will come in the midst of a bonkers schedule in which their squad is stretched. They continue to have options galorie for the final third, but they are now in a position for the next few games where their only two fit CBs will struggle to play every game, and have a midfield that picks itself, is without their lynchpin, and their next person in line is an 18 year old. I also think this is the first year we've seen Silva struggle a bit and if I was a City fan I would worry about having to play him 2-3 games a week for the next 6 weeks. It is far from rosy for them.

In contrast, 6 of our remaining 9 games are against sides in the bottom 7 or 8, and two of the other 3 are at home against failing top 6 teams we would be heavily fancied to beat.

FilthyBloke

I’ve stayed away from listening to the radio today, especially Talksport, because I knew what it would be like after yesterday’s result. It appears I made the right decision.
Our manager, so I’ve been told, has been subjected to some heavy criticism, from presenters, and people claiming to be Liverpool fans. I expect the likes of Adrian Durham and Alan Brazil to have a go at JK, because it’s their job, but for so called fans of LFC to actually go on air and spout their venom, is beyond me, I don’t understand it.
JK is the best we’ve had for a long time, just look where we are now and how far we’ve come since he arrived. Yes, he makes mistakes, but I wouldn’t swap him.
If these are genuine LFC fans, and I’ve got my doubts about that, what exactly do they want? Who would they replace JK with? I’ll bet they can’t answer that question.
The only thing I want to say to these fans is, we don’t need you, go away and join the Citeh bandwagon and their army of plastic fans.
I hate talksport.
Because they have to try and fill 24/7 of football news when usually there isn’t any, it means they have to manufacture a crisis somewhere. It was spurs on Saturday. It’s us today.
Anyone who doesn’t win the league are bottlers.
It’s a horrible little station where they all try and sound like jack the lads down the pub.
“this phonecall is sponsored by BetFred and JustEat.”
Fuck em.

TheSweetSilverSong

I don't think Everton went out to try not to lose. Derbies are traditionally a game that are hectic and requires players to physically compete AND rise above the fight to apply moments of quality when they present themselves. In modern football, with the growth in acceptance of the "low block" or bus parking, Everton, to their credit, went out and played like an old fashioned derby. They didnt sit back and instead competed for the ball in as many areas as they could. That meant that it is difficult to get foothold, but does mean there are opportunities to play if you can get the ball into the right areas quickly enough. For all the bitching and moaning we did that. We created 3 clear as day chances (2 Mo break aways and Fab's effort from VVD's knock down) that we would normally expect to score all 3 of. To score from none is criminal. Ordinarily you might say that is an issue of quality, but I think we know the quality is there from those players, so I think it has to be down to just one of those things. However, it is down to those margins that titles are won and lost. Will that be enough for us to have now lost the title? Maybe. But if it is, I dont think we can put it down to Klopp's decision making seeing as the side he put out rose above the mayhem, won the physical battle and did so while showing enough quality to create clear chances we should have scored from.
Yeah, you're right in that sense I guess, goes for Utd game as well, definitely not in the same way that a team parks a bus, so "sit back" was the wrong term to use, but it's just the feel I had that it was the kind of games (both Utd and Everton) that because of the way they tried to close spaces and stop our build up, being both derbies as you say, we needed that bit of creativity from the midfield.
Klopp probably saw that we should fight that approach with more workload and with a more combative midfield, but it didn't pay off.
Yes, had Salah scored his chances we'd have said it worked, so it's all relative, and definitely not a clear mistake, but the result in both derbies being a scoreless draw is there for a reason too. Maybe it's just bad luck, we can't know for sure...but I know that I was hoping for a bit more creativity in midfield before the game (both times - ok, vs Utd it was also down to Keita being ill), and was missing it during the game.
Maybe it wouldn't even pay off. Guess we'll see if it happens again.

SBYM

Who's the fella owns this shithole?
I hate talksport.
Because they have to try and fill 24/7 of football news when usually there isn’t any, it means they have to manufacture a crisis somewhere. It was spurs on Saturday. It’s us today.
Anyone who doesn’t win the league are bottlers.
It’s a horrible little station where they all try and sound like jack the lads down the pub.
“this phonecall is sponsored by BetFred and JustEat.”
Fuck em.
I like the sport. I just hate the talk.

Tony walker

Thought and said before .
Playing without a centre forward / striker .
Sadio no centre forward , did ok against Watford but against Everton just didn’t work out for him .
Would have been better he on the left and Origi centreforwad .
Salah s strengh is his speed , he’s very quick and always seems to want to control the ball , which he does by and large very well .
He had 2 chances yesterday when put through
Shot have hit it first time , twice he took a touch and got run out by Keane .
We’ve done Brilliant getting ourselves in this position in the league , alls not lost .
But guaranteed we start next season with a all out centrefoward .
Burnley next up .

Limiescouse

I dont know what other/better options there were. I am typically more positive about Hendo than most, but these are the games he thrives in. He does very well, compared to other players, when there isn't much time on the ball and can move the ball very effectively when it's pinging around. He played that role very well IMO. In retrospect the game kind of passed Gini by, but he's played well enough this season to justify getting the shout and it would certainly have been second guessed had he not played. Given Keita's illness and lack of form, Milner would really have been the only other option, and that would have been seen as even more workmanlike than the side we put out.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
After Luis left, this club was on its knees.

Brendan Rogers then spent a whole summer investing huge money in mediocrity.

Jurgen Klopp, being the decent guy he is, tried his best to make the most of what he had but I'm sure deep down he knew he would have to change a lot of things over time. To give him credit, he has done very well and our squad has been getting better and better.

There's still some way to go and the derby will at least have proved to Jurgen that further investment is necessary.

I don't think we'll finish less than runners up so that already would be a huge improvement on the club's position when Jurgen arrived - i.e. just a Europa League club. Now, we don't even worry about CL qualification because top 4 is a given under him.

As I said earlier today, it's clear to me we need a world class striker to do at the front what Virgil has done at the back.

Regardless of the issue of 'favourites', Jurgen has brought in a lot of classy players (Alisson, Virgil, Andy, Mo, Sadio, Gini, Fabinho, Shaq, Joel and Naby) and has developed two youth players Trent and Joe.

Whatever happens between now and May, I think he's doing a really good job.
Welcome to the forum and a welcome injection of positivity :-)

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
I dont know what other/better options there were. I am typically more positive about Hendo than most, but these are the games he thrives in. He does very well, compared to other players, when there isn't much time on the ball and can move the ball very effectively when it's pinging around. He played that role very well IMO. In retrospect the game kind of passed Gini by, but he's played well enough this season to justify getting the shout and it would certainly have been second guessed had he not played. Given Keita's illness and lack of form, Milner would really have been the only other option, and that would have been seen as even more workmanlike than the side we put out.
I think Gini thrives and play better when Henderson is not playing, Gini Fab and one of Shack or Kieta would have been the better options, but well i know nothing and Klopp knows best. subs in this game were baffling to everybody but the one who made them. what was the plan A, or B or C?? i doubt there was any.

Limiescouse

@mazpool Keita has had patchy form and on top of that has been sick. Shaq has struggled with the defensive side of the game even when in a less defensively demanding role in a less hectic game than the derby. Playing him in an orthdox midfield role instead of Gini would have been negligent.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Bottom line is we picked up another away point against a very dangerous side.

That's one point closer to our first title since 1990.

Enjoy the ride boys & girls - we will prevail :well done:
BOOM!

I get your logic re: Shaq, but it begs the question why he was bought in the first place.

He’s not a regular starter, which is fine as our first 11 is a step up from where he had been previously.

I (rightly or wrongly) assumed that he would be useful as an impact player, a maverick to change a game or do something special. When he comes on in that situation, perhaps a re-jig is needed on the pitch i.e. someone comes deeper so that he doesn’t have to track a runner.

Apparently, Klopp doesn't trust him enough, and we can't blame Klopp for that. He buys a player expecting that he can benefit the system and the team, but if the player doesn't live up to expectatives, what can he do??

I get all the critisism around here regarding Klopp sub, but if we had lost the game it would be complete meltdown and even the super fans would have to recognize our title challenge would be over.

For me we are huge underdogs now, and we need to pray for City to advance as further as possible in the CL but facing though opposition. If they have to choose, the will surely go for the European competition.

Limiescouse

For me we are huge underdogs now, and we need to pray for City to advance as further as possible in the CL but facing though opposition. If they have to choose, the will surely go for the European competition.
Yeah, Id love to see them have to make that choice. I dont know about Pep, but the noise from the club is pretty clear that theyd prefer the CL this year. Even if Pep resists that push, even the fact that it is something they are forced to think about and reject can affect the mindset enough when the games are coming thick and fast.

jaffod

So it won't matter that United won a few games every season thanks to the referees? That they probably got 10+ points a season thanks to the referees?
And they still are getting 10 points a season off 'incompetent' referees.

Amazing how many of our fans are indifferent to City's blatant cheating.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
@mazpool Keita has had patchy form and on top of that has been sick. Shaq has struggled with the defensive side of the game even when in a less defensively demanding role in a less hectic game than the derby. Playing him in an orthdox midfield role instead of Gini would have been negligent.
Never suggested playing him instead of Gini, my suggestion was playing him instead of Henderson.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
OK, I admit that I'm bitterly disappointed not to have won, but an away point, against a team in the top half of the table, is way better than losing. Just like as in the manure game, I felt we were much the better side and that we should/would have won, but we didn't get the rub of the green (or the bounce of the ref). Shit happens.
There are still nine games to go; the title is not decided in March.
We go again.

jaffod

That is absolute tin foil hat rubbish. Fergie was an absolute bell end, but he and United won all those titles fair and square.
Of course they did. To suggest they got favourable decisions from referees, especially at OT, would be completely wrong.

Dutch

The problem is our midfield, in defence they are fine but they don’t score goals

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Regarding Klopp substitutions, well, they weren't what most of us were expecting, but what happens if Keita loses the ball while trying to drible some evertonian and they score in the counter?? Or if Shaquiri doesn't track his runner and we receive a goal at consequence?? Klopp was watching at the bigger picture there, he took a gamble by not taking a gamble...
Wow, so what happens if Kieita dont lose the ball and dribble everyone and score a goals?? . If we are not brave to take a gamble, as we are now, we will not win anything.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Can we stop with this utterly bizarre rhetoric that we have not won anything due to other teams cheating. Its pretty pathetic, I despise this notion as it makes us sound petty and weak.

We haven't been good enough, for fucks sake most of the time we've not even been close.

We now are and we had it in our own hands and we stuttered. I hope to Fowler himself we steady ourselves and await the stutter from those pale blue shite and take back our destiny.
Mate
Don’t hold your breath.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Of course they did. To suggest they got favourable decisions from referees, especially at OT, would be completely wrong.
Home teams often get the 50/50 and contentious calls going in their favour. Particularly the big teams like United. Liverpool is definitely included in that as well.

jaffod

Home teams often get the 50/50 and contentious calls going in their favour. Particularly the big teams like United. Liverpool is definitely included in that as well.
That explains why we lost more points than anyone else in the prem last season due to wrong decisions (12).

Surprisingly enough United benefitted more than anybody else.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
That explains why we lost more points than anyone else in the prem last season due to wrong decisions (12).

Surprisingly enough United benefitted more than anybody else.
You've picked one season out of the last 120 or so. Go back and research the other 120 seasons and do us all a favour and don't come back until you have an answer. Don't forget your tin foil hat.

jaffod

You've picked one season out of the last 120 or so. Go back and research the other 120 seasons and do us all a favour and don't come back until you have an answer. Don't forget your tin foil hat.
I'm going on what I've seen over the last 30 odd years from when Ferguson first started bullying the FA, match officials, the media and anyone else who stood in his way.
But I accept you'll know more than me, given your age and close proximity to the English game over the same period.