Post Match: Everton 3-3 Liverpool

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
24,153
104TOSH said:
Lucas, who performed well, needs to eradicate the 'silly' fouls, as one led to first equalizer.
Judging from where the free kick was taken, it was the earlier one by Coutinho that was punished.
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,481
Mascot88 said:
Judging from where the free kick was taken, it was the earlier one by Coutinho that was punished.
It was indeed Coutinho's foul that resulted in the free kick for the first. Advantage was played and it was brought back when Lucas made a successful tackle moments later.
 

jerusalemred

Resident Fashionista
Joined
Feb 10, 2007
Messages
305
the first equaliser was actually henderson's fault because baines freekick wasn't a dangerous fast high ball but reachable height. Henderson always have this habit of pretending to fight for the ball and last minute just shy away.

I am getting pissed with his play acting, and all that energry is just for show. What matters is the commitment to go 50/50, tackle hard and be creative. he just plays it safe because he is afraid of getting injured.

If henderson had the balls to win the header which he clearly could have easily, barkeley wouldn't have headed it down to that cunt mirrales which is harder for gerrard to intercept as that was too fast.

The third goal conceded was however the fault of rodgers as how did the 2 CB not marking or anywhere near lukaku is atrocious. questions need to be asked about our marking system as that was a cheap give away.

If not for mignolet we would have been shamed.

OUr attackers did well and always believed in sturridge killer instinct. time to get rid of henderson as he couldnt carry or even contain the midfield once allen and lucas left the field. he is a squad and impact player because he doesn't tackle or intercept balls. he just pretend to harry and block at a distance. not good enough.

oh and fuck off that cheating cunt ref. his worried face before showing mirrales the yellow showed he knew he was cheating.
 

jerusalemred

Resident Fashionista
Joined
Feb 10, 2007
Messages
305
also all our goals are dead ball situations. it shows that our midfield needs top players coming in to replace henderson and possibly another winger. We always have trouble having incisive passes against the better teams because we lack more midfielders that can dirbble or beat a player to create space and opening for another.

we are extremely fortunate to have suarez and sturridge individual abilities to mask and carry players like henderson and to s lesser extent rodgers naiveness against better teams.

january transfers will determine not only our odds for CL place but the clubs ambition. With such a thrilling effort by our players so far it would be criminal for our owner not to gamble for a top midfielder to push for top four as its seems very possible now.
 

Red Tiger

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2013
Messages
296
rab said:
Lot of stick for Allen for that miss and yes it was a bad one. However Suarez missed an equally good chance with a header he put straight at Howard.

One is getting hammered for failing to score, the other isn't getting a mention. Yes Suarez contributed more to the result, yes he's an infinitely better player but one missed chance didn't cost us three points.
I think it did cost us three points. Would have been 3-1 up at that point. It was a much easier chance than Suarez header. Moreover, I think people are upset with Allen's general contribution as well.
 

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
8,178
Just watched the highlights, some more thoughts about the game.

That Miralles tackle - I've got a feeling the physio came on and said to the ref it was a definite red. Not sure if they still do but they used to be able to watch the replays in the dugout on a tablet. The way the Everton players react to him seems to suggest he did mention it.

Joe Allens miss was, well - horrific. I can understand why he took the shot on, his career has gone cold. A goal in the derby would have bought him some more time with the fans, some kudos with the manager in his wait for a first team place. Sadly for Joe, not a lot is going right for him, the wiser move was to give the ball to Suarez but I can understand why he did it. He had a pretty ropey game, some nice touches but the bad ones were really bad (similar to Henderson)

I wish Rodgers had gone with Moses out wide, Coutinho as No 10. We seem to be setup to be on the defensive then hit on the break, only without Sturridge we have no pace threat. Moses would give us that - given that our gameplan appears to be: Score more than the opposition can do, Moses would have been a much better decision - he can hold the ball up or run in behind and is a genuine goal threat.

Will be interesting to see how we compare against Spurs in a couple of weeks.
 

Clive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2013
Messages
1,860
Really open game, maybe that will be the trend now with Rodgers and Martinez as the managers of red and blue.

Gladiatorial battle with both midfield a being fairly porous, both keepers were excellent. Whilst I enjoyed the game greatly and am happy wither the point, one comment.

We are entering a tough period now, where the games come thick and fast. We really need to rediscover some steel in the centre of the park and centre of defence. We can't leave Mignolet so exposed if we want solid results through December.

Also it's worth reflecting on Everton. They've done very well under Martinez, and in Lukaku, have a striker whose unplayable on his day. He was a real handful and huge mistake by Chelsea sending him on loan again. Could be a star in the World Cup.
 

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
24,153
Clive said:
Also it's worth reflecting on Everton. They've done very well under Martinez, and in Lukaku, have a striker whose unplayable on his day. He was a real handful and huge mistake by Chelsea sending him on loan again. Could be a star in the World Cup.
Was it? He's going to cause a huge amount of damage to Chelsea's rivals from where he is.
 

Clive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2013
Messages
1,860
Mascot88 said:
Was it? He's going to cause a huge amount of damage to Chelsea's rivals from where he is.
Good point, I hadn't thought about I like that. They are looking for a new striker though, by all accounts.
 

slufsar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2013
Messages
1,406
lfc.eddie said:
But we are more than willing to keep a player in the team that suppose to keep possession and set the tempo of the game in the game yesterday, but failed to do so? A player that was clear on goal, can't score and we say -"that's alright, it's not his job" and move on, we can keep such player because we are just happy to slate the old?
We can keep such a player because he's only had one game from start, not 12. WHich means we really cant judge him yet. A player alone cant keep possession and set tempo of the game anyway, and if that was his job he would've played where Gerrard played, not infront of him. Gerrard is in the position to do that, and he fails game after game.

Look, you're probably gonna underminde the debate with more sarcasm like "oh, so allen is the best player in the world, but yet he cant score a 5 yard sitter" or whatever. Not saying Allen is the best player in the world, or that he even should be a regular for us long term. I dont think he's that good. However, I think scapegoating of him is extremely harsh especially considering the performances of our other midfielders.

He's become a popular scapegoat, and I always stick up for them, because most of the criticism are irrational.
 

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
24,153
slufsar said:
We can keep such a player because he's only had one game from start, not 12. WHich means we really cant judge him yet. A player alone cant keep possession and set tempo of the game anyway, and if that was his job he would've played where Gerrard played, not infront of him. Gerrard is in the position to do that, and he fails game after game.Look, you're probably gonna underminde the debate with more sarcasm like "oh, so allen is the best player in the world, but yet he cant score a 5 yard sitter" or whatever. Not saying Allen is the best player in the world, or that he even should be a regular for us long term. I dont think he's that good. However, I think scapegoating of him is extremely harsh especially considering the performances of our other midfielders.He's become a popular scapegoat, and I always stick up for them, because most of the criticism are irrational.
But that he cost 15m and can't hold down a place in the first team, gives the debate merit.

The very fact that he hasn't played much and therefore we can't judge him (if you like) is very worrying. A 15m quid player seemingly can't get into the first team after beg here for 18 months or so. We might struggle to get a comprehensive view of him as a player, but we can certainly form an opinion of his value as a big chunk of money. Don't forget this is supposedly Rodger's golden boy - the embodiment of his football ideals. For him to have started one game this season suggests all is not well here.

The miss yesterday - at 2-1 up - would have killed the game. He has two good options - to try and beat the keeper himself or square to Suarez for a tap in. He has to square it all fucking day, and it's exactly the reason why Suarez goes mental at him. But if he is going to back himself, then he has got to hit the target for where he was and completely clean through. Very suspect decision making, composure and confidence. It's fair to see that as a microcosm of his current situation. Fine - it isn't his job to score goals. So pass the ball to the lad who will do that and it's grand. You can't have it both ways.

Your criticism of Gerrard is really tiresome in the context of a game in which two of the goals came directly from his delivery, and Suarez could have had a second (and Gerrard a third assist) had he directed that header a bit better. Gerrard's set piece delivery is getting better and better with age, and while he looked sluggish at times on Saturday I think there are issues with how Rodgers and Steven are trying to manage his contribution. Instead of trying to play within himself for 90mins, picking and choosing his moments to get forward, I'd sooner see him go he'll for leather, play a bit further forward - but accept we're only going to get an hour out of him. Take him off on the hour mark and you probably get more from him in that hour that you do the whole 90 of Gerrard playing at 50%. And then Joe Allen and Alberto get a bit of game time too.
 

NZred

The Red From NZ
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
3,797
I'm not sure what to take from this game. You can't really base these Derby matches on anything. Performance, form etc because they are such one off games.

However, I will try to dissect it a little bit.

Firstly, Mignolet. Is there a better shot stopper in the world at present? He pulls off some remarkable saves, especially one on one saves that he has to right to be making. Stays tall, spreads himself. Absolutely perfect positioning too.

Our backline. Just what in the mother fuck is going on? Johnson was terrible, caught out of position and just seemed...half arsed. Skittles and Agger, why can these two just not work together? Given their years at the club and you would have to assume NUMEROUS trainings together, you would think they had a pretty good understanding with one another. Amazingly it's the complete opposite. Neither seems to trust the other. I love Agger but recently I have begun to think he is the problem rather then Skittles? Without him there, Skittles is an absolute beast. Is our best back 4 Toure at RB, Skittles and Sakho in the middle and Enrique at LB? given our early season defence, it would seem so. Can't forget young Flanagan. What an immense game, was really worried with him early on, got beaten a little easily in the first 10 minutes, but after that he was an absolute tackling machine.

Lucas. I slag him as much as anyone. I thought he was pretty bloody good with his covering tackles, tracked back a lot and got in some good blocks on crosses. Made some vital tackles around the 18 yard box. HOWEVER, his constant giving away of stupid fouls does my fkcing block in.

Allen. Big fan of his, but fuck me, I won't be sad never to see him play for us again after that Miss. Made even worse by the fact Suarez was completely alone right next to him.

Gerrard. Quiet, looked absolutely knackered to be honest.

Henderson. Didn't really do much, but didn't really do much wrong either.

Suarez. Played well up front considering. He looked a little jaded at times though. Think he thrives with DS next to him.

All in all, offered me a draw before hand, I would have taken it. However given we were up 2-1 with a glorious chance to make it 3-1, I am quite gutted to only get a point. Of course the flip side is, to then be 3-2 DOWN and snatch it at the end, could be seen as a positive for not letting our heads drop.

So, a good result, or bad? Bit of both IMO.
 

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Messages
925
Some more of my thoughts on the game. Bearing in mind I watched it in a pub; which I'm not found of when I want to concentrate on the game, and it was the derby I was too tense to concentrate too much on what where who how all the way through.

We had two players who hadn't started a prem game for ages. Let along this season.

Lucas worked his socks off helping out both flanks. Lots of dangerous byline scenarios averted.

Too many players whos main area of expertise is central. Coutinho and Johnson were the only ones who know a bit about wing play. Although Hendo is adding aspects to his game.

Baines was fairly quiet, or crap. So Johnson must have been doing something right.

Would have like to have seen Sakho vs Lukaku. But he wasn't that effective bar, might as well have been, unmarked set pieces and our inability to clear the ball allowing a second phase of play. At which we are awful still. Be it set pieces or over hit crosses.

Who shoulders the blame for Johnson vs Lukaku? I saw it the corner before and almost wet myself. Between Rodgers, Stevie, Agger and Mig. Someone needed to step up and say, 'hang on. That's not gonna work'.

Mig was a legend. Would Pepe have made them saves. Better footwork too and some good distribution with feet. Like the reports from Big Head (I think), he seems to be a pro who wants to improve. Could he be the next Schmichel? A bit more vocal and maybe.

Has Suarez changed his ways? He seems happier at all times on the pitch now. OK he moans and shouts when not given the ball for a tap in. But he's not letting it effect his game. And the oppo isn't getting to him either. Mentally at least... Mirallas.

We need Gerrard in the team. His set pieces and range of passing is vital to finding space. But due to age he needs to not be asked to run after the ball to them make hollywood passes. Tired legs just don't work like fresh ones. Unfortunately Lucas' pace means Stevie is asked to cover more midfield ground. Although I think he started higher in this game... anyone? We need a strong, fast DM with great control and one touch short range passing. I would like to see Hendo tried there with maybe Lucas is Hendo's position. But with Suarez's workrate pressing the oppo defence into Lucas rather than Hendo into our mid/wings. I think Lucas actually has a better weight of pass than Henderson. So maybe he could find those final balls better. Any. I digress.

Allen, Suarez and Moses should all have scored. Although Moses' wasn't as clear cut.

Lastly. Martinez saying Mirallas challenge wasn't a red because of it being a derby or whatever, is almost as bad as AVB and the Lloris head injury. Complete nonchalance over something which could end a career. Not just talking Mirallas. This rule needs to be looked at again. I see so many dangerous challenges everyweek that don't get pulled up for even a word. Mostly because they won the ball or missed the opponent. The law is there to stop these types of challenges, contact or not.

Anyway. i'm ending rant now. Hope thats wasn't too negative. Boys did well considering circumstances.
 

Canuck33

Banned Users
Joined
Aug 31, 2013
Messages
425
NZred said:
I'm not sure what to take from this game. You can't really base these Derby matches on anything. Performance, form etc because they are such one off games.

However, I will try to dissect it a little bit.

Firstly, Mignolet. Is there a better shot stopper in the world at present? He pulls off some remarkable saves, especially one on one saves that he has to right to be making. Stays tall, spreads himself. Absolutely perfect positioning too.

Our backline. Just what in the mother fuck is going on? Johnson was terrible, caught out of position and just seemed...half arsed. Skittles and Agger, why can these two just not work together? Given their years at the club and you would have to assume NUMEROUS trainings together, you would think they had a pretty good understanding with one another. Amazingly it's the complete opposite. Neither seems to trust the other. I love Agger but recently I have begun to think he is the problem rather then Skittles? Without him there, Skittles is an absolute beast. Is our best back 4 Toure at RB, Skittles and Sakho in the middle and Enrique at LB? given our early season defence, it would seem so. Can't forget young Flanagan. What an immense game, was really worried with him early on, got beaten a little easily in the first 10 minutes, but after that he was an absolute tackling machine.

Lucas. I slag him as much as anyone. I thought he was pretty bloody good with his covering tackles, tracked back a lot and got in some good blocks on crosses. Made some vital tackles around the 18 yard box. HOWEVER, his constant giving away of stupid fouls does my fkcing block in.

Allen. Big fan of his, but fuck me, I won't be sad never to see him play for us again after that Miss. Made even worse by the fact Suarez was completely alone right next to him.

Gerrard. Quiet, looked absolutely knackered to be honest.

Henderson. Didn't really do much, but didn't really do much wrong either.

Suarez. Played well up front considering. He looked a little jaded at times though. Think he thrives with DS next to him.

All in all, offered me a draw before hand, I would have taken it. However given we were up 2-1 with a glorious chance to make it 3-1, I am quite gutted to only get a point. Of course the flip side is, to then be 3-2 DOWN and snatch it at the end, could be seen as a positive for not letting our heads drop.

So, a good result, or bad? Bit of both IMO.
That's a pretty good assessment of events at the game. I do disagree with the conclusion on Johnson. He had an off-day, and a really bad one for that matter. But to conclude that Toure should be ahead of him at RB is IMO not warranted. CB selection for the game was a bad mistake on Rodgers' behalf, especially in light of the blinder Sakho had midweek and the history between our two starters and Lukaku. I do have to say that the selection of Flanagan was a stroke of genius though. You've said pretty much everything that needed to be said about the rest except Coutinho.

Well, once again we witnessed that our little magician isn't at his best playing wide. Don't get me wrong, he was not bad at all, but I believe we can get so much more from him in a free role behind either SAS or a lone striker. But to afford that we need a stronger midfield, which we unfortunately do not have. Looks like shopping time in January for some solid midfielders.
 

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
Joined
Mar 7, 2013
Messages
1,814
You can't take Johnson out of the side when he's healthy. Remember when he was out and we looked dead going forward? He's all the width we're going to get on that right side. Without him the wing is too isolated. Toure won't be bombing forward to help in that regard.

It's one game. Watch as we hopefully look good in our next three and no one will be questioning Johnson anymore. It'll be like the 'is Enrique the weak link' thread. Waaaaaaaaay too premature.
 

NZred

The Red From NZ
Joined
Jun 22, 2007
Messages
3,797
pottymonster said:
You can't take Johnson out of the side when he's healthy. Remember when he was out and we looked dead going forward? He's all the width we're going to get on that right side. Without him the wing is too isolated. Toure won't be bombing forward to help in that regard.

It's one game. Watch as we hopefully look good in our next three and no one will be questioning Johnson anymore. It'll be like the 'is Enrique the weak link' thread. Waaaaaaaaay too premature.
Johnson and Toure was posed more as question. Given that our attack is better with Johnson but our defence weaker and the opposite holds true wheN Toure plays.
 

jabu

TIA New Signing
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
5,621
i think that watching the games last night and the derby on saturday, it might be time for introduction of video review. weather its done american style giving each team two or three reviews per game or per half is debatable. but there is way too much at stake to leave to human error. The money involved in football now being the difference between ability to compete and possible relegation. Top four has become extremely important not just from a football point of view but as the bbc article stated last week, from a financial point of view as well. The pressure is getting to the referees and they are making more and more errors because of this. everton should have gone down to 10 and united should have gone down to ten men as well ( remains to be seen if rooney is banned for his off the ball incident ala suarez, but i doubt it). big decisions needed to be made and the officials bottled them and have been bottling them the last few seasons.... they need help!!
 

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
Messages
1,490
I don't like slagging refs, but maybe Phil Dowd thought that we were playing Manchester United?
 

grooveshark

Banned Users
Joined
Sep 18, 2012
Messages
2,452
I thought the formation was spot on, what was wierd was no Sakho and no Toure when faced with a physical, mobile striker like Lukaku.

Dont get the reasoning behind all this talk of him being tired, this team isnt in Europe, and he hasnt started all games either.

Guess you learn and move on.
 

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
798
grooveshark said:
I thought the formation was spot on, what was wierd was no Sakho and no Toure when faced with a physical, mobile striker like Lukaku.

Dont get the reasoning behind all this talk of him being tired, this team isnt in Europe, and he hasnt started all games either.

Guess you learn and move on.
I was surprised not to see Sakho also but my guess would be that Skrtel and Agger have more experience over the past few years with this merseyside derby.

Allen, what were you doing?
 

grooveshark

Banned Users
Joined
Sep 18, 2012
Messages
2,452
canucky008 said:
I was surprised not to see Sakho also but my guess would be that Skrtel and Agger have more experience over the past few years with this merseyside derby.
Allen, what were you doing?
Really shouldnt have mattered, Lukaku has a history of scoring against Agger and Skrtel and they both have a history of not being able to deal with his physical nature.

Toure and Sakho are experienced players, both would have made better sense.............anyway, water under the bridge.
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,481
jerusalemred said:
the first equaliser was actually henderson's fault because baines freekick wasn't a dangerous fast high ball but reachable height. Henderson always have this habit of pretending to fight for the ball and last minute just shy away.

I am getting pissed with his play acting, and all that energry is just for show. What matters is the commitment to go 50/50, tackle hard and be creative. he just plays it safe because he is afraid of getting injured.

If henderson had the balls to win the header which he clearly could have easily, barkeley wouldn't have headed it down to that cunt mirrales which is harder for gerrard to intercept as that was too fast.

The third goal conceded was however the fault of rodgers as how did the 2 CB not marking or anywhere near lukaku is atrocious. questions need to be asked about our marking system as that was a cheap give away.

If not for mignolet we would have been shamed.

OUr attackers did well and always believed in sturridge killer instinct. time to get rid of henderson as he couldnt carry or even contain the midfield once allen and lucas left the field. he is a squad and impact player because he doesn't tackle or intercept balls. he just pretend to harry and block at a distance. not good enough.

oh and fuck off that cheating cunt ref. his worried face before showing mirrales the yellow showed he knew he was cheating.
Not even close to Hendersons fault. Skrtel should be winning the first header but once again fails too. You can see Skrtel is the man picking up Barkley as he's shoving him, to no great effect, before the ball gets played in. However he fails to impose himself on Barkley and fails to win the first header.

Gerrard should be tracking Mirallas but doesn't do it well enough.

Never in a million years is it Henderson's fault, unless of course you're just desperate to try and find something to blame him for because you personally don't like him.
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,481
Red Tiger said:
I think it did cost us three points. Would have been 3-1 up at that point. It was a much easier chance than Suarez header. Moreover, I think people are upset with Allen's general contribution as well.
And that Suarez header would have put us 3-2 up with ten minutes to play.

I didn't think Allen's overall contribution was that much worse than the rest of our midfield. He seems to have attracted more attention though because of that miss. It was a terrible one no doubt about it but it wasn't the only decent chance we conspired to miss in that game.
 

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
24,153
jabu said:
i think that watching the games last night and the derby on saturday, it might be time for introduction of video review. weather its done american style giving each team two or three reviews per game or per half is debatable. but there is way too much at stake to leave to human error. The money involved in football now being the difference between ability to compete and possible relegation. Top four has become extremely important not just from a football point of view but as the bbc article stated last week, from a financial point of view as well. The pressure is getting to the referees and they are making more and more errors because of this. everton should have gone down to 10 and united should have gone down to ten men as well ( remains to be seen if rooney is banned for his off the ball incident ala suarez, but i doubt it). big decisions needed to be made and the officials bottled them and have been bottling them the last few seasons.... they need help!!
I agree that Refs need help. Not sure about giving each team three challenges though - all it needs is the fourth official watching a delayed feed or replay. With the Miralles challenge, I'd seen two replays and concluded it was a stonewall red card before Dowd had even put his hand in his pocket. There's no excuse for not giving Referees the benefit or a second opinion based on replays.

The other thing that annoys me about referees is that they constantly apply context to their decisions instead of just applying the laws of the games. That tackle would be red card in most games. But Dowd has the Merseyside derby in mind, is willing to let a lot go. You also see it in the Tyne and Wear derby. A red card tackle should be a red card tackle regardless of the game it takes place in.
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,481
Mascot88 said:
I agree that Refs need help. Not sure about giving each team three challenges though - all it needs is the fourth official watching a delayed feed or replay. With the Miralles challenge, I'd seen two replays and concluded it was a stonewall red card before Dowd had even put his hand in his pocket. There's no excuse for not giving Referees the benefit or a second opinion based on replays.
It's time football took a leaf out of rugby's book. It takes a couple of minutes to go to a video ref and see whether there's a reason a try can or can't be awarded. They can check for obstructions, forward passes, being in touch and the grounding of the ball all of which are things that sometimes referees and linesmen either physically can't see or can't be sure of due to the speed and number of people involved in the game. I see no reason why football can't do the same. It has not compromised referees authority on the pitch, if anything it has enhanced it as players now know the referee is more likely to get big decisions right because he has help.

You can also cite players after the game and the RFU enforce punishments beyond what the referee dishes out during the game based on video evidence. I'd imagine Miralles would be looking at a lengthy ban based on his numerous discretions on Saturday The game would be cleaned up considerably if players knew the sly kicks, stamps, slaps and headbutts were going to get punished afterwards.

I'd also like to see them copy rugby in mic-ing the refs up so the explanation given to the players can also be heard by tv viewers and potentially the crowd with radio receivers. Firstly it would let the supporters know more about why the ref has decided to make his decision and gives some instant justification as to why he's blown his whistle. Secondly it would force the players to start respecting the referee more as verbal abuse could be as it would be clearly audible.

If rugby can do it there's no reason football can't aside from the fact they don't want to. We'll continue to see horror challenges and violence not be fully punished and referees get decisions wrong and abused by players throughout the game.
 

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Messages
53,286
Joe90 said:
I don't like slagging refs, but maybe Phil Dowd thought that we were playing Manchester United?
You could be right.... Man Utd managed by Moyes, Everton was Moyes' old team. The man could be confused.
 

jabu

TIA New Signing
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
5,621
Mascot88 said:
I agree that Refs need help. Not sure about giving each team three challenges though - all it needs is the fourth official watching a delayed feed or replay. With the Miralles challenge, I'd seen two replays and concluded it was a stonewall red card before Dowd had even put his hand in his pocket. There's no excuse for not giving Referees the benefit or a second opinion based on replays.

The other thing that annoys me about referees is that they constantly apply context to their decisions instead of just applying the laws of the games. That tackle would be red card in most games. But Dowd has the Merseyside derby in mind, is willing to let a lot go. You also see it in the Tyne and Wear derby. A red card tackle should be a red card tackle regardless of the game it takes place in.
You actually come up with the best solution.... A delayed feed watched by a fourth official would work wonders... very good suggestion:)
 

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
24,059
rab said:
(...)

I'd also like to see them copy rugby in mic-ing the refs up so the explanation given to the players can also be heard by tv viewers and potentially the crowd with radio receivers. Firstly it would let the supporters know more about why the ref has decided to make his decision and gives some instant justification as to why he's blown his whistle. Secondly it would force the players to start respecting the referee more as verbal abuse could be as it would be clearly audible.

If rugby can do it there's no reason football can't aside from the fact they don't want to. We'll continue to see horror challenges and violence not be fully punished and referees get decisions wrong and abused by players throughout the game.
That's something they do in France since several years, and it has done wonders to both improve the refereeing standard, and the tolerance towards refs from football fans. Fully agree with the rest of your post. It's incredible to see the contrast in behaviour between rugby and football. That's largely due to refs having a higher authority / making less errors.


Mascot88 said:
I agree that Refs need help. Not sure about giving each team three challenges though - all it needs is the fourth official watching a delayed feed or replay. With the Miralles challenge, I'd seen two replays and concluded it was a stonewall red card before Dowd had even put his hand in his pocket. There's no excuse for not giving Referees the benefit or a second opinion based on replays.

(...)
Yup, the fourth official is already there, it doesn't need much change to implement this.