Post match: Everton v Liverpool (epl 21/6/20 7pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Matip [off 73’]

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Milner [off 42’]

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Keita [off 65’]

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Minamino [off 46’]

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Firmino [off 65’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Gomez [on 42’]

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Oxlade Chamberlain [on 46’]

• Origi [on 65’]

• Wijndum [on 65’]

• Lovren [on 73’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
To open at full time.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Milner, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Minamino, Mane, Firmino.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Well, that was shite.

So, 102 days after trudging off the pitch after being deposed as European champions by Atletico Madrid, the Tricky Reds finally returned to competitive action, following a 6-0 trouncing of Blackburn in a hastily-arranged pre-resumption friendly. A lot has happened in that intervening three month period and both the Covid-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign have made many of us reassess our priorities and think about what is really important in life. The appearance of a rainbow over Goodison during the pre-match minute’s silence was the most beautiful of coincidences.

As our manager famously said in a message to supporters way back in March, football is the most important of the least important things; while it brings joy and passion to millions, it is ultimately a distraction from the problems everyday people face on a daily basis. I would also contend that it’s a weapon of mass distraction, designed to draw the attention of the masses away from the ineptitude of our politicians... but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, who missed football? Certainly not Everton fans, as their team didn’t play any in the first place. And, judging by their shambolic performance this evening, it may take some time until Moshiri’s millions and Carlo’s canniness produce a team capable of challenging for European places, let alone featuring in the top four. I can remember the days, in the mid-Eighties, when our rivals from across Stanley Park were the second best team in the land, capable of going toe to toe with us, and I’d love to see those days return so that Liverpool is again the pre-eminent footballing city in the country; the days of the Friendly Derby are sadly long gone, thanks to Sky’s agenda of whipping up enmity, but it’d still be nice- and utterly hilarious- to see the Bitters finish as gallant but outclassed runners-up to us in everything.

Anyway, enough about them; what about us? After the Atletico defeat, I posted that both Mo and Bobby, who had been extremely profligate that night, should be demoted for a game, both to show that nobody is undroppable and to give them a chance to reflect upon their dismal showing on that fateful night at Anfield. Well, they had three months to muse upon that performance and I’m sorry to say that Mo was not able to start, due to a minor injury, and Bobby didn’t show much. He dragged a shot wide in the first half when he may well have been better served by playing in Naby to his left; other than that, he was almost invisible.

As with the majority of Premier League games since the return, the first half was poor, enlivened only by a reasonable Trent free kick and an injury to Milner which resulted in Gomez replacing him just before the break. Our games this season have often followed a similar pattern- sound out our opponents and keep them at arm’s length before going for the jugular in the second stanza- and this match was no different.

We started the second half with Ox replacing Minamino- a bit harsh on Minamino- who was no worse than anybody else- and with a noticeable increase in pace and drive. However, despite our complete and utter domination in terms of possession, we barely created a chance worthy of the name.

Alisson and the defence were barely tested; indeed, I can’t remember Ali even touching the ball once until he was forced into a save with about ten minutes left. Trent looked some way short of his best going forwards, but Matip had a very good game, playing some very nice passes to get our “attacks” going.

Fabinho was playing poorly before the Coronavirus break and, unfortunately, resumed in much the same vein, giving the ball away frequently early doors and looking a yard off the pace. He did, however, improve as the game went on.

Hendo was solid, while Keïta showed flashes; the problem is that Everton played so deep that there was no space for his runs to exploit.

Anyway- a point closer to the title; beat Palace on Wednesday night and we’ll only need a point at the Emptihad.

WOTM: my missus, for putting up with me for the last few months.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Well, that was shite.

So, 102 days after trudging off the pitch after being deposed as European champions by Atletico Madrid, the Tricky Reds finally returned to competitive action, following a 6-0 trouncing of Blackburn in a hastily-arranged pre-resumption friendly. A lot has happened in that intervening three month period and both the Covid-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign have made many of us reassess our priorities and think about what is really important in life. The appearance of a rainbow over Goodison during the pre-match minute’s silence was the most beautiful of coincidences.

As our manager famously said in a message to supporters way back in March, football is the most important of the least important things; while it brings joy and passion to millions, it is ultimately a distraction from the problems everyday people face on a daily basis. I would also contend that it’s a weapon of mass distraction, designed to draw the attention of the masses away from the ineptitude of our politicians... but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, who missed football? Certainly not Everton fans, as their team didn’t play any in the first place. And, judging by their shambolic performance this evening, it may take some time until Moshiri’s millions and Carlo’s canniness produce a team capable of challenging for European places, let alone featuring in the top four. I can remember the days, in the mid-Eighties, when our rivals from across Stanley Park were the second best team in the land, capable of going toe to toe with us, and I’d love to see those days return so that Liverpool is again the pre-eminent footballing city in the country; the days of the Friendly Derby are sadly long gone, thanks to Sky’s agenda of whipping up enmity, but it’d still be nice- and utterly hilarious- to see the Bitters finish as gallant but outclassed runners-up to us in everything.

Anyway, enough about them; what about us? After the Atletico defeat, I posted that both Mo and Bobby, who had been extremely profligate that night, should be demoted for a game, both to show that nobody is undroppable and to give them a chance to reflect upon their dismal showing on that fateful night at Anfield. Well, they had three months to muse upon that performance and I’m sorry to say that Mo was not able to start, due to a minor injury, and Bobby didn’t show much. He dragged a shot wide in the first half when he may well have been better served by playing in Naby to his left; other than that, he was almost invisible.

As with the majority of Premier League games since the return, the first half was poor, enlivened only by a reasonable Trent free kick and an injury to Milner which resulted in Gomez replacing him just before the break. Our games this season have often followed a similar pattern- sound out our opponents and keep them at arm’s length before going for the jugular in the second stanza- and this match was no different.

We started the second half with Ox replacing Minamino- a bit harsh on Minamino- who was no worse than anybody else- and with a noticeable increase in pace and drive. However, despite our complete and utter domination in terms of possession, we barely created a chance worthy of the name.

Alisson and the defence were barely tested; indeed, I can’t remember Ali even touching the ball once until he was forced into a save with about ten minutes left. Trent looked some way short of his best going forwards, but Matip had a very good game, playing some very nice passes to get our “attacks” going.

Fabinho was playing poorly before the Coronavirus break and, unfortunately, resumed in much the same vein, giving the ball away frequently early doors and looking a yard off the pace. He did, however, improve as the game went on.

Hendo was solid, while Keïta showed flashes; the problem is that Everton played so deep that there was no space for his runs to exploit.

Anyway- a point closer to the title; beat Palace on Wednesday night and we’ll only need a point at the Emptihad.

Fucking hell mate. You were quick off the mark with that essay.

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
Well, that was shite.

You type fast.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Well, that was shite.

Did you write this in a parallel universe that’s 30 minutes ahead in time,

Dave-D

Was to be expected Liverpool were never at their best after an international break so was always going to struggle after so long off.

Naby played well and Alisson stopped Everton snatching it.

Lovren really need to be sold or given away at the end of the season, he’s a massive liability

big noyd

wasn't great, didn't like the double sub, but i'm not gonna overreact to anything but MAGA degsy. ffs. i don't care how popular he is, he's a consistent liability, enough

fabinho was boss once he got settled in, matip was excellent until he got hurt. keita was involved every time we did something incisive

taking naby & bob off made us utterly predictable

Joe Gomez x

Poor felt like a pre season game obviously. Everton showed nothing, credit to Seamus Coleman was excellent. Also liked Matip and Alissons performance. Div showed something when he came on.

Need to liven it up for Palace. Seriously missed Mo and Robbo.

Falcon51

Bah HUMBUG! But at least they didn’t lose! The team looked really rusty and disjointed. They’ve lost a lot of that spark it appears. oh well, we will see what happens next game!

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Lovren really need to be sold or given away at the end of the season, he’s a massive liability
Doesn’t he though. I’ve genuinely had enough of him now.

He’s not just a liability in terms knowing he’s going to do something fucking mad, it also gives the opposition someone obvious to play on. We saw this against Watford, and we saw it tonight. Everton really enjoyed there being a centre back they could just bully.