Post match: Everton v Liverpool (epl 21/6/20 7pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Matip [off 73’]

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Milner [off 42’]

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Keita [off 65’]

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Minamino [off 46’]

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Firmino [off 65’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Gomez [on 42’]

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Oxlade Chamberlain [on 46’]

• Origi [on 65’]

• Wijndum [on 65’]

• Lovren [on 73’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macca1970

Andy out, Milner hamstring before half time, so our left back position was below par. Taki came in for Mo, but get the feeling he works better in the middle than out wide.

Needed to get Mane more involved in the game. Would have liked Sadio and TAA on the right for the second half, with Ox driving from the centre. Could have had VVD, Matip and Gomez as the back three, allowing those in front to interchange more.

Anyway, first game after a long break, so just need to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully much better performance in the midweek game.

phil smith

Call the Midwife would have been more exciting!
Lovren scares me to death. Don't know how many of the substitutions were because of injuries but it definitely broke any of the rhythm we had.
Gave Alli my MOM as he made a couple of decisive saves that won us a point.
To be fair to both teams it must be strange playing football in that atmosphere.
Five points will do us.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Alisson mom just for his concentration. The rest, no one gets more than 3/10.
Keita and minamino were invisible.
But to be fair no one looked good.
Not winning it weds. Burnley will get hammered tomorrow.

petergriffin2020

Crap watch, but Ali saved us a point and safe to say Virgil beat Richarlison mano-e-mane after talking a big game this week.

Magnus

Rust. Cohesion was lacking, and it was very visible offensively. Everton organised as a solid defence unit and we lacked cohesion and penetration and never amounted to threaten them much offensively. Everton closest to victory despite our possession.

Allison was good when called upon.

Maybe next game will be sad as well, but I think after that one, cohesion will get better and so we will probably soon see Liverpool play good games soon before the season ends. This was not it though. Also, rusty Lovren is extra dangerous :eek:

petergriffin2020

After being truly scared of null and void just great to see us out there once again! #nullandvoidbrigadeinthemud

Degsy though never inspires confidence. Think he’s among the least confidence-inspiring Reds I’ve seen along with Mignolet, Moreno, and Skrtel.

SadQPRfan

Struggled to get into the match. Actually, struggling to get into sports. Looks like the long break has made me look at sports as a distraction to the important stuff. Almost like the spell has been broken. Normally, even when the season is over there are still other sports going on to get one hooked. But this is unique in the sense all sports have been cut off and all of a sudden one gets to find out it's not really that important especially seen these millionaires getting loads of money while many have lost their jobs and lives with this pandemic.

The fact is I will still watching sports but can't ever see myself emotionally invested again,.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Well, that was shite.

So, 102 days after trudging off the pitch after being deposed as European champions by Atletico Madrid, the Tricky Reds finally returned to competitive action, following a 6-0 trouncing of Blackburn in a hastily-arranged pre-resumption friendly. A lot has happened in that intervening three month period and both the Covid-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign have made many of us reassess our priorities and think about what is really important in life. The appearance of a rainbow over Goodison during the pre-match minute’s silence was the most beautiful of coincidences.

As our manager famously said in a message to supporters way back in March, football is the most important of the least important things; while it brings joy and passion to millions, it is ultimately a distraction from the problems everyday people face on a daily basis. I would also contend that it’s a weapon of mass distraction, designed to draw the attention of the masses away from the ineptitude of our politicians... but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, who missed football? Certainly not Everton fans, as their team didn’t play any in the first place. And, judging by their shambolic performance this evening, it may take some time until Moshiri’s millions and Carlo’s canniness produce a team capable of challenging for European places, let alone featuring in the top four. I can remember the days, in the mid-Eighties, when our rivals from across Stanley Park were the second best team in the land, capable of going toe to toe with us, and I’d love to see those days return so that Liverpool is again the pre-eminent footballing city in the country; the days of the Friendly Derby are sadly long gone, thanks to Sky’s agenda of whipping up enmity, but it’d still be nice- and utterly hilarious- to see the Bitters finish as gallant but outclassed runners-up to us in everything.

Anyway, enough about them; what about us? After the Atletico defeat, I posted that both Mo and Bobby, who had been extremely profligate that night, should be demoted for a game, both to show that nobody is undroppable and to give them a chance to reflect upon their dismal showing on that fateful night at Anfield. Well, they had three months to muse upon that performance and I’m sorry to say that Mo was not able to start, due to a minor injury, and Bobby didn’t show much. He dragged a shot wide in the first half when he may well have been better served by playing in Naby to his left; other than that, he was almost invisible.

As with the majority of Premier League games since the return, the first half was poor, enlivened only by a reasonable Trent free kick and an injury to Milner which resulted in Gomez replacing him just before the break. Our games this season have often followed a similar pattern- sound out our opponents and keep them at arm’s length before going for the jugular in the second stanza- and this match was no different.

We started the second half with Ox replacing Minamino- a bit harsh on Minamino- who was no worse than anybody else- and with a noticeable increase in pace and drive. However, despite our complete and utter domination in terms of possession, we barely created a chance worthy of the name.

Alisson and the defence were barely tested; indeed, I can’t remember Ali even touching the ball once until he was forced into a save with about ten minutes left. Trent looked some way short of his best going forwards, but Matip had a very good game, playing some very nice passes to get our “attacks” going.

Fabinho was playing poorly before the Coronavirus break and, unfortunately, resumed in much the same vein, giving the ball away frequently early doors and looking a yard off the pace. He did, however, improve as the game went on.

Hendo was solid, while Keïta showed flashes; the problem is that Everton played so deep that there was no space for his runs to exploit.

Anyway- a point closer to the title; beat Palace on Wednesday night and we’ll only need a point at the Emptihad.

WOTM: my missus, for putting up with me for the last few months.
Very nice analysis CoG (y) :) . Your Missus needs a medal.:D

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
How often has that been tried? He has mostly played on the left.
He played on the right a lot when we first signed before making a much bigger impact when shifted central.
Thought Minamino offered us more there today, but is really more of a central player also.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Tbh, I am happy we got a precious point. If we have to slow walk over the line, I don't care how we do it, just get over the line.
We will play better on Wednesday and we will have Mo and Robbo back.

Herb

Well you wait a 100 odd days and then have to sit through that. Really poor game. Disappointed that it’s another year that we’ve gone to both Goodison and Old Trafford and put in two performances that in no way reflects the quality this team has against absolute shite.

Thought we were much worse when Naby went off, none of the substitutes had any positive effect on the game whatsoever, in Lovren’s case he once again somehow manages to drag the entire defensive unit down a level as soon as he comes on.

Obviously you’d expect it to take a bit of time for us to get up to speed but was expecting the gulf in quality ultimately would have told in the end. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Palace game is more of the same before a lively encounter with City.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Well, that was shite.

So, 102 days after trudging off the pitch after being deposed as European champions by Atletico Madrid, the Tricky Reds finally returned to competitive action, following a 6-0 trouncing of Blackburn in a hastily-arranged pre-resumption friendly. A lot has happened in that intervening three month period and both the Covid-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign have made many of us reassess our priorities and think about what is really important in life. The appearance of a rainbow over Goodison during the pre-match minute’s silence was the most beautiful of coincidences.

As our manager famously said in a message to supporters way back in March, football is the most important of the least important things; while it brings joy and passion to millions, it is ultimately a distraction from the problems everyday people face on a daily basis. I would also contend that it’s a weapon of mass distraction, designed to draw the attention of the masses away from the ineptitude of our politicians... but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, who missed football? Certainly not Everton fans, as their team didn’t play any in the first place. And, judging by their shambolic performance this evening, it may take some time until Moshiri’s millions and Carlo’s canniness produce a team capable of challenging for European places, let alone featuring in the top four. I can remember the days, in the mid-Eighties, when our rivals from across Stanley Park were the second best team in the land, capable of going toe to toe with us, and I’d love to see those days return so that Liverpool is again the pre-eminent footballing city in the country; the days of the Friendly Derby are sadly long gone, thanks to Sky’s agenda of whipping up enmity, but it’d still be nice- and utterly hilarious- to see the Bitters finish as gallant but outclassed runners-up to us in everything.

Anyway, enough about them; what about us? After the Atletico defeat, I posted that both Mo and Bobby, who had been extremely profligate that night, should be demoted for a game, both to show that nobody is undroppable and to give them a chance to reflect upon their dismal showing on that fateful night at Anfield. Well, they had three months to muse upon that performance and I’m sorry to say that Mo was not able to start, due to a minor injury, and Bobby didn’t show much. He dragged a shot wide in the first half when he may well have been better served by playing in Naby to his left; other than that, he was almost invisible.

As with the majority of Premier League games since the return, the first half was poor, enlivened only by a reasonable Trent free kick and an injury to Milner which resulted in Gomez replacing him just before the break. Our games this season have often followed a similar pattern- sound out our opponents and keep them at arm’s length before going for the jugular in the second stanza- and this match was no different.

We started the second half with Ox replacing Minamino- a bit harsh on Minamino- who was no worse than anybody else- and with a noticeable increase in pace and drive. However, despite our complete and utter domination in terms of possession, we barely created a chance worthy of the name.

Alisson and the defence were barely tested; indeed, I can’t remember Ali even touching the ball once until he was forced into a save with about ten minutes left. Trent looked some way short of his best going forwards, but Matip had a very good game, playing some very nice passes to get our “attacks” going.

Fabinho was playing poorly before the Coronavirus break and, unfortunately, resumed in much the same vein, giving the ball away frequently early doors and looking a yard off the pace. He did, however, improve as the game went on.

Hendo was solid, while Keïta showed flashes; the problem is that Everton played so deep that there was no space for his runs to exploit.

Anyway- a point closer to the title; beat Palace on Wednesday night and we’ll only need a point at the Emptihad.

WOTM: my missus, for putting up with me for the last few months.

Great post.

I'll summarise. Could have played all night and not scored. Allison saved the point.
Joe Gomez too, savesd a point. Davies’ shot that hit the post was deflected there by Big Joe.

I hope the injuries aren’t serious.

Here’s hoping for a better performance against Palace.

COYR YNWA