• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Everton v Liverpool (epl 21/6/20 7pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Matip [off 73’]

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Milner [off 42’]

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Keita [off 65’]

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Minamino [off 46’]

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Firmino [off 65’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Gomez [on 42’]

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Oxlade Chamberlain [on 46’]

• Origi [on 65’]

• Wijndum [on 65’]

• Lovren [on 73’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
1 more point added, clean sheet, still 20 odd points ahead of nearest rival and both managers happy with the result.
Klopp has to rotate the players because of the intensity of the schedule and hopefully the players don’t get any more injuries

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I see that mostly people are having a go at Lovren when we didn't have more than 3 shots on target and we let Richarlison have his way in the box, If they were more clinical we could have easily been 2 goals down in this game. But ok we can chalk it up to game rust , and we will see in the palace game how we do, hopefully we can show our teeth there, cause today we looked blunt as hell and our defence did not look solid today even before lovren came on.

Alisson MOTM cause he just is.
Lovren is blamed because he spread panic the moment he entered the match. The attacking ineptitude made winning impossible, Lovren though could have cost the match altogether.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I gave Alisson man of match as because when needed he was there. As Neville said in the game he’s had nothing to do but such is his concentration he has pulled off two vital saves.

I guess Klopp is right, derbies at goodison are shit.

had something changed between fri and sun as Klopp said everyone was available yet Robbo was injured and Salah not deemed fit enough.

I thought this was the 1 game were no crowd really made a difference. Palace will be hard. Most impressive team so far since restart I’ve seen. Yes it was Bournemouth but they were physical and organised. If we play like we did today that’ll be another draw.

keita....I’ve seen people on twitter saying he was great? Was he? I thought he was ok but everyone at Lfc even the tea lady say he’s been flying but bar 1 turn don’t recall anything special he did.
Thought it was really odd that in a game where 3 points are vital Klopp chooses to play minamino (who didn’t do much) then pre plan to take him off at ht? When he said that I thought he was defending minaminos average performance as that’s the thing you do in a friendly.
Was glad ox came on but disappointed he was lost on the wing.

im sick of people saying we can win it here or there. Just win 2 games. Dont worry what anyone else is doing. City aren’t dropping points v Burnley at home. Burnley have basically admitted their season is over. They have 6 players who won’t play for club again and Chris woods plus 2 others are injured. we need 2 wins let’s concentrate on that.

Last edited:

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Remember back in February when the talk was of us tying this thing up in record time? Done and dusted by the end of March at the latest? I'm not banking on a thing until that bastard is bound in red ribbons and being polished by the Anfield cleaning lady.
Too right.
I’m not celebrating anything yet. It’s not won.

Sweeting

In reality, a number of factor made this a weird game. Firstly, a derby with no crowd - allowed Everton to sit on their on 6 yard box and launch counter attacks once every 25 minutes, they wouldn't haven't gotten away with that with a full stadium. To compound that issue it seemed to take a little bit of our impetus away from us, didn't sense much urgency.

Second, the loss of Robbo and Salah combined with then losing Milner made the team a weird shape and necessitated a second change at half time just to be able to make a switch without losing our second substitute "spot". By the time the 2nd half kicked off we had a CB at LB, a very important role for us in an attacking sense, a CM on the RW and would soon have to have our 4th choice CB come on. Two changes to the back line during a match are always disruptive.

Three, the stupid water breaks. It wasn't that bloody hot yesterday, guarantee we play hotter games in any normal season than that. Everytime we seemed to be building a little bit of rythem the game was halted to have a drink of water.

And finally, the most obvious point, three months without a game. Team lacked fluidity and sharpness which is to be expected. Playing a couple of intra-squad friendlies and a solitary game against Blackburn won't get player in match condition. Hopefully against Palace that look a little sharper.

Overall an intensely boring game but still a decent result. 5 more points, or 4 if we draw with City, and we are champs.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Looked like a fitness exercise for us.
Keita and Minimino looked really sharp.
Lost our rhythm once the subs started being made.
Mane was doing great on the wing and had a lot less of the ball when he went to the middle so we kind of missed him as our attacking outlet. Origi may of been better down the middle this game.
Gomez did as well as he could but hes just not a left back for how we play. Maybe if mane was on that side too it would of flowed better but it just didnt work. I'm not sure if Larouci can step up but if not we need to sort a decent back up left back option out who can play how we need. The team just doesnt flow right without it.
Keita and Minimino where the stand out positives for me. Not just fitting in but looking like they could be big players in the team/squad.
Another point closer to the title and the cob webs blown away so not the worst result. Would of loved to beat them just to shut richarlison up though lol

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It was OK. Up to about 60 minutes I thought we were good. It had followed the usual pattern for an away game up til that point. First half keep possession, try to move the opposition around and gradually wear them down. First 15 minutes of the second half we upped the pace, penned them in and tried to create the high percentage chance. We almost did it with the interchange between Keita and Firmino, but then it all went flat when those two came off. They were the ones most likely to create something and I assume their substitution was pre-planned on grounds of fitness. It made no sense otherwise and after that we lacked sophistication and became dull and predictable with too much reliance on the long ball.

You have to give credit to Everton and Ancelotti. They worked hard and held their shape and concentration really well. They sensed a chance in the last 10 minutes and went for it, exploiting Lovren's lack of confidence in holding the high line. In the end a draw was about right and I think JK would have been OK with it. First game back against a team playing their own little Cup final. Disrupted by injuries. We rarely play well there anyway so no great harm done.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
What we were crying out for last night, apart from getting rid if the ring rustiness, was a proper fantasista - a creative number 10. Keita certainly isn't one. Mina MIGHT become one given time but that's up in the air. He'd have to be a bloody hard-working one though, able to press with the best, and there's not many of those in Football Manager. That new Portuguese bloke has dragged the manure up a level all on his own.

We could really do with a defence unlocker against teams that play deep, but what's new?

Last edited:

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I thought we started quite well. Pinged passes around crisply and accurately. Problem was making that final pass into the box. We never seemed to have a player breaking into the box from midfield to give them extra problems, always the same limited movement we have had for a while now. Half time change did little to help, I feel , as others do, that ox is better as an AM or possible coming in from the left.
Missed Robbo of course but Milner and Gomez did the job pretty well. Trent was below par but when he did get the ball wide there were not any good targets in the box . I know it is hard coming on late in a game but I hoped for more from Gini.
Everton were well organised and did there job well almost pulling off a shock win late on but fortunately Alison and other defenders proved their quality.
The squad does definitely need a little refreshing but it is not easy without a lot of money. Frankly I felt that Jones would have added as much as Gini yesterday .

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Thought TAA looked well rusty.
Matip proved he cant be relied on so hes probably out for the season.
Everton were glad Lovren came on.

rab

First game back and against a team determined not to be beaten rather than intent on winning the game. Was always going to be hard but we missed Robbo and Salah quite badly. It meant neither flank was our ideal pairing and it really showed. Losing Milner compounded that further but thought Gomez did as well as you could expect for a right sided centre back being asked to essentially play left wing back.

Everything seemed to be funneled down our right which meant Mane wasn't as involved as you'd like. Trent didn't have a great game but we looked a lot better with Minamino out there with him than we did with Ox over there. Not sure why Minamino went off at half time as I thought he was doing well, involved in a lot of the play and pressing well. In hindsight you wonder whether we could have tried Mane over on the right for a bit before making the Minamino sub to get two of our best attacking threats working in tandem.

Midfield was solid but we really do miss a creator type in there. Keita, whilst doing some nice things just doesn't seem to be able to impose himself on games as much as you'd like. However encouraging signs from him. The rest were just pretty standard but no exactly inspiring performances.

Defence was solid enough until Lovren came on and did Lovren things. Fingers crossed for Matip, Milner and Robbo being fit so we don't have to see too much of him again. Alisson again proving his worth with a couple good stops.

Ultimately, it was a tough game to come back to. We probably rely on rhythm and momentum more than any other team in the league so not surprised to see a bit of a stuffy performance first game back and missing two key wide players. However, it does further highlight some issues we need to address.

1. We need a proper left-footed alternative to Robbo. As good a job as Milner/Gomez can do filling in, we lose something from our attacking rhythm with their constant need to cut back onto their right foot and they lack his ball-carrying ability and pace.

2. Lovren's time should be over. Would rather see Hoever as fourth choice next year if budgets are tight.

3. When teams sit deep we can struggle for ideas to open teams up through the middle. Fab, Hendo, Gini, Milner and Ox aren't the lockpicking types. Keita might but we've yet to see it consistently.

4. The drop off from the front three to the backup options is too big and it's clear how much that hurts us when one is missing.

jaffod

Danger I see from this game... as fans we are becoming victims of our own success.
if every other club plays as defensively in each game against us... how crap will it become, as a Liverpool fan, to have to watch such torrid affairs each week.... Why take us on head to head to get a thrashing... put eleven men defending your last third and there is a chance of getting a point.!
The Ancelloti's and Mourinho's of this world... are slowly strangling the life out of the game..!
We've had to contend with that for decades and tbh we've massively struggled with it in more recent times. This team usually finds a way eventually but there are still games where it just doesn't happen. I call us an 'all or nothing' team at times because we'll score 4 or 5 on a regular basis but on other occasions, like last night, we can't buy a goal.
Many people looked to the likes of Keita and Shaqiri to provide that ability to unlock packed defences but on the whole they've failed to do so for whatever reason.
Palace look well organised so if we fail to break them down on Wednesday it might become a bit of a worry. Salah and Robertson being back will help massively.

LaurazRed

Doesn’t he though. I’ve genuinely had enough of him now.

He’s not just a liability in terms knowing he’s going to do something fucking mad, it also gives the opposition someone obvious to play on. We saw this against Watford, and we saw it tonight. Everton really enjoyed there being a centre back they could just bully.
I'm going to be a very nervous wreck if Lovren plays against Palace. I'd rather put Hendo in at this rate.

rab

When you look at their average positions you realise just how defensive they were. Their two centre backs were less than ten yards outside their own box. The two centre mids were pretty much on the edge of their side of the centre circle with the two "wide" players not much further forward and pretty much halfway between the centre circle and touchline.

Both their forwards were around the centre circle in our half and very close together.

A very compact, very narrow 4-4-2 with hopeful punts forward their only hope of attacking play. We may have struggled to break them down but by god Everton are no better than the likes of Burnley if that's the "Carlo tactical masterclass" their lot on Twitter are claiming it to be.

Last edited:

FGred

When you look at their average positions you realise just how defensive they were. Their two centre backs were less than ten yards outside their own box. The two centre mids were pretty much on the edge of their side of the centre circle with the two "wide players not much further forward and pretty much halfway between the centre circle and touchline.

Both their forwards were around the centre circle in our half and very close together.

A very compact, very narrow 4-4-2 with hopeful punts forward their only hope of attacking play. We may have struggled to break them down but by god Everton are no better than the likes of Burnley if that's the "Carlo tactical masterclass" their lot on Twitter are claiming it to be.
It has been the same tactics the last 4 years at Goodison regardless of the manager there has been only one goal scored in those 4 fixtures and we scored it they are terrified of getting a thrashing.

FGred

Wouldn't be surprised if Matip is ruled out for the season. We really, really need Gomez and VVD to stay fit, and I say that as someone who has always backed Lovren.
I think this is the time to trust Hoever we introduced Gomez and look at him now Lovren when he is put on cold like that is in panic mode or excited and tries too hard.

rab

It has been the same tactics the last 4 years at Goodison regardless of the manager there has been only one goal scored in those 4 fixtures and we scored it they are terrified of getting a thrashing.
That's exactly it, they are petrified of losing the games against us in front of their own fans. And to be fair, they've done a good job of stifling us and we've not done nearly enough to break them down.

Interesting to see how similar the set up and shape they played last night was to the set up and shape of Carlo's Napoli sides that had the better of us. Equally compact but they had better forward players to play on the counter.

macca1970

To listen to Kelly Cates on Sky now, you’d have thought our trip to the Emptihad would decide the title. She appears to have forgotten that we still have another six games to play after that one.

Embarrassing from any presenter, let alone King Kenny’s daughter.
I hear ya, but....

She works for Sky
Who pays big money to show matches
So need to drum up any kind of story
And in this age of social media clicks , the past is dead, long live the present
So when they show the world tiddleywinks championships, they'd build up the second round third replay as bigger than an Ali-Fraizer fight

jaffod

I think this is the time to trust Hoever we introduced Gomez and look at him now Lovren when he is put on cold like that is in panic mode or excited and tries too hard.
I think that's a very good point on Lovren. In the main he is an excellent CB when starting but it can be a different story when he's subbed on, seems to lack composure and make strange decisions.

macca1970

Three, the stupid water breaks. It wasn't that bloody hot yesterday, guarantee we play hotter games in any normal season than that. Everytime we seemed to be building a little bit of rythem the game was halted to have a drink of water.
As many others have no doubt pointed out, it does seem like a "feature creep" policy to get people accustommed to a break, and then unleash the American quarter system thats been mentioned for the past 30 years or so.