Post match: Everton v Liverpool (epl 21/6/20 7pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Matip [off 73’]

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Milner [off 42’]

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Henderson

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Keita [off 65’]

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Minamino [off 46’]

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Firmino [off 65’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mane

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Gomez [on 42’]

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Oxlade Chamberlain [on 46’]

• Origi [on 65’]

• Wijndum [on 65’]

• Lovren [on 73’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noo Noo

Everton are an awkward side since Ancelloti's appointment. I think they are 3rd in the form guide since he joined so they deserve some credit for turning their form around. It was dire at the start of the season.

I'm kind of content with the result but that is soured significantly by the performance to be honest. We look easy to play against right now.

As many others have no doubt pointed out, it does seem like a "feature creep" policy to get people accustommed to a break, and then unleash the American quarter system thats been mentioned for the past 30 years or so.
I honestly hope not. More money for TV breaks at the expense of the game. No thanks.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Because I’m a masochist, I decided to watch the match back in its entirety. I was honestly so confused at 93:00 I had no idea what I just watched. I thought the midfield looked great for most of the first half. Maybe not a popular opinion but I thought Naby was fantastic and always available. Everton kept tightening up the middle and it pushed everything wide. So, tailor made for Trent. Unfortunately he was REALLY bad and had zero touch on anything. Struggled mightily. Moving Ox centrally, albeit much too late, created some opportunity. When Millie went off the left side went into a really funky shape and not much happening. That only highlighted the dire need for proper LB cover for Robbo. That has to be a priority this Summer. After Bobby and Naby went off we were officially cooked. Very little (none) creativity after that.

I love the Boss with all my heart but it sounded like sour grapes after the match. Everton created some dangerous chances on their own. If he doesn’t like that style that other teams will play against us then he has to figure it out. Other teams need results too, and they’re not just going to roll over for us.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Potentially 2 games from winning the title and lads not getting out of bed for the derby?
Life is truly weird
Getting up at 3:00 a.m. for a behind closed doors derby game that nearly always ends in a 0-0 draw.? No, sorry.

Anyway, I will be 'there', or rather here, when the moment does come after 30 years of waiting. I see that the Palace game kicks off at a more civilised 4:15 a.m., so I'll be up and at 'em in time for the second half.

I know, I know ..... part-time supporter.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Getting up at 3:00 a.m. for a behind closed doors derby game that nearly always ends in a 0-0 draw.? No, sorry.

Anyway, I will be 'there', or rather here, when the moment does come after 30 years of waiting. I see that the Palace game kicks off at a more civilised 4:15 a.m., so I'll be up and at 'em in time for the second half.

I know, I know ..... part-time supporter.
Ah not judging you, just perplexed!!

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Just hope theres not an underlying issue. Our form isn't great. OK so 3 months off hasn't helped but before the break....

Lost to A Madrid 0-1 - created nothing of note.
Beat West Ham 3-2 thanks to the west ham keeper fucky-upski.
Lost 3-0 to Watford.
FA Cup lost 0-2 to Chelsea - we were much changed but lost and wasn't great again.
Beat Bournemouth 2-1 - wasn't the greatest performance but after last 2 games a win was welcome.
Lost to A Madrid 2-3 - Our best performance for weeks but then Adrian gifts a goal and its game over. Result flatters A Madrid.

Not at our best.

I think Weds will be different.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Please, can someone allay my fears about this title race, I should never listen that Talksport Drive with Durham and Gough, just switch the radio off listen to music radio.

They are all moaning about our team's performance.

MarcusBerglund

Well, at least it is one point gained after the derby. It is hard to remember the last time when Everton had all the good chances and we were so toothless. They defended with purpose, hit us on the counter attack and Alisson proved once again that he is vital for us /if we had him vs. Atletico we would easily beat them/.

Fabinho had awful beginning of the match /first 5-10 minutes/, but slowly improved and at the end of the day looked like our best midfielder.
Trent was worst player on the pitch, he had so many good chances to cross and pass the ball /from open play and set pieces/, but failed to deliver.
Matip and VvD were good, while Lovren was our weak link, but it is too easy and elementary to blame him. We created nothing - Firmino, Minamino, Hendo, Gini did nothing offensively. Coleman totally neutralized Mane. Origi and AOC were lost and did nothing while on the pitch.

Milner played 4-5 times as a left back this season and twice left injured /first time vs. Arsenal and he missed 40 days and last night vs. Everton, looks like it will rule him for the season/. And Gomez is not a full back, he is a great central defender, but he gives us absolutely nothing offensively playing as a fulll back. And the fact is Klopp relies heavily on his full backs to create situations. And when TAA has a very poor game and Robbo is missing we become toothless offensively. Our midfield have working horses, but I can't see creators.
At least Keita looked decent, but still last night he did not make the difference and that is what you expect from your most expensive midfielder.

Tha lack of quality in attack is obvious - AOC is not a winger and Klopp is trying desperately to prove everybody wrong, but fact is Alex's best position is in central midfield. He is lost on the wing. Origi is a decent player, but nothing more, for 30 minutes he did absolutely nothing.
Minamino is still not ready and the fact he was substituted after 45 minutes speaks volumes /never mind that Klopp praised him after the game./.

And where are our youngsters - Williams, Elliott - on the bench, because in important matches Klopp will trust his more experienced player.
We need to add quality and this squad is crying for it.

Looking at our last 7-8 matches teams are slowly finding way to make it hard for us. Defending compactly, they give us the ball, they block the full backs, hit us with speed on the counter attack and when our midfeild has it's usual lack of creativity we are in trouble - Southampton /first 45 minutes/, Norwich away, Watford away, Chelsea away, both ties vs. Atletico, even West Ham managed to do that and we were lucky with Fabianski's howler.

Signing a competent left back is a must /let's stop confusing ourselves that Milner, Larouci or Gomez will be the answer/. And we need a forward who can give our front three a real competition.

But the most importan thing is to win the numer 19, it will be hard, it will be huge and mentally draining, but we need to do it. Palace will be a very difficult match. Zaha always plays like a beast vs. us. They are solid defensively and we will see a smiliar game to yesterday.
In these type of matches fans and the power of Anfield could be vital, but at this moment the players will have to do it without the help of the 12th player.

Falcon51

The more I review what I saw yesterday, the more disappointing it is becoming. That was really a crappy game they played. Earlier in the week I had watched City play Arsenal and if the Reds show up and play the way they did yesterday, City honestly would embarrass them greatly. Where did our Championship Team go? What happened, as even before the C-19 break the Reds weren’t the same as earlier in the season. What I watched Sunday was a travesty from what I come to expect from our Team. Hopefully they won’t embarrass themselves again on Wednesday.

Alright Now

The more I review what I saw yesterday, the more disappointing it is becoming. That was really a crappy game they played. Earlier in the week I had watched City play Arsenal and if the Reds show up and play the way they did yesterday, City honestly would embarrass them greatly. Where did our Championship Team go? What happened, as even before the C-19 break the Reds weren’t the same as earlier in the season. What I watched Sunday was a travesty from what I come to expect from our Team. Hopefully they won’t embarrass themselves again on Wednesday.
Don’t worry. We’ll win 19 next season. Chin up.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
A measure of calm is necessary. I know we are desperate for the title to be wrapped up but Klopp is professional and knows full what he’s doing.

We know there is only a very short break before the next season, and we have an opportunity for this to not turn into one long 47 game League Campaign. We just need to get five points from our last eight games and it’s done, and maybe in such a way that we’re in good shape for 20-21.

Falcon51

I am calm, just disappointed in the quality of play I saw before the break, and yesterday. Sure their going to win the title eventually, but it’d Be nice if they were strong, and formidable in doing it instead of just squeak through with a few more draws! I guess it’s just me and my expectations are to high. I really wanted to see them dominate the EPL for the rest of the season!

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I am calm, just disappointed in the quality of play I saw before the break, and yesterday. Sure their going to win the title eventually, but it’d Be nice if they were strong, and formidable in doing it instead of just squeak through with a few more draws! I guess it’s just me and my expectations are to high. I really wanted to see them dominate the EPL for the rest of the season!
looking at how a second wave is kicking off across the rest of the world, we might have weeks to win this cunt :oops:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Looking at our last 7-8 matches teams are slowly finding way to make it hard for us. Defending compactly, they give us the ball, they block the full backs, hit us with speed on the counter attack and when our midfeild has it's usual lack of creativity we are in trouble - Southampton /first 45 minutes/, Norwich away, Watford away, Chelsea away, both ties vs. Atletico, even West Ham managed to do that and we were lucky with Fabianski's howler.

Signing a competent left back is a must /let's stop confusing ourselves that Milner, Larouci or Gomez will be the answer/. And we need a forward who can give our front three a real competition.
Jjust about every team we've played over the last two seasons has played like that. It's the only way to play us for most teams but it hasn't stopped us winning the league this season and getting 97 points last season. This was the third 0-0 draw at Goodison in 3 seasons for us so nothing new in the result and Ancellotti has done a number on JK plenty of times before. He's a great defensive tactician and sometimes you've just got to give the opposition a bit of credit. They were disciplined and it was the first time we'd played in 3 months. I wasn't surprised it was a draw in the circumstances.

I agree we need a left back (who can kick with his left foot) and another forward. In fact we've been riding our luck on injuries in those areas for a long time now. It's frustrating that we've not been able to sort it out yet but I'm not upset about this performance or result and I don't think you can draw many conclusions from games we played three months ago to establish some sort of downward trend. It was pretty obvious that our focus before lockdown was firmly on the Atletico second leg. That was one of our best performances of the whole season and the result was a travesty.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Perspective required.
First game back in an away derby against a wily Italian who knows how to get his teams defending. Without Salah and Robertson. 5 points needed to win the league......

richieh10

Ok so we beat palace, The way they’re playing I’d expect City to beat Chelse’s then we go to the emptyhad for a Shootout with them which will be interesting coz if we play like we did v Everton and they play like they have been since the return that could be a long evening.

not sure what I’d prefer, beating them and winning the title in their back yard or them lose to Chelsea and have to give us a guard of honour. That would also be class.
Always thought I’d prefer to win it on the pitch but the guard of honour from city would be priceless.

actually thinking about it with all the changes in place at the moment would they even do a guard of honour? Or would that be something they cant do because of the Virus?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Have kept out of this thread for a few days to give myself time to think and analyze the match and 2 thinks that keep popping back into my head are we lacked a level of fluidity especially in the final 3rd which normally would have seen us score 3-4 goals at a minimum - should we have tried for an extra friendly before the game?

The other issue - and this seems to be more accross the board in a few of the games is the lack of tempo in play, and has me thinking do fans play that big a role in setting an atmosphere that pushes players on to up the tempo of games?

Sweeting

Please, can someone allay my fears about this title race, I should never listen that Talksport Drive with Durham and Gough, just switch the radio off listen to music radio.

They are all moaning about our team's performance.
Can't. Lose against Palace and City and we only have a 14 point lead with Aston Villa, Brighton, Burnley and Arsenal to play next.

With the quality of those team (look at the great fight Villa, Burnley and Arsenal have been putting up since the restart) it's hard to see where we get another point from.

Basically we've blown it and the league is over, well done to Man City for another title. They'll get to 19 before we do ;)

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Did you write this in a parallel universe that’s 30 minutes ahead in time,
I walked away after the first half. We were shit. If anyone didn't see that then we opinions are obviously different. Completely disjointed. Midseason or not, our attack was like watching old people fuck.

Let's hope we actually finish this season out with a fucking trophy, because they were gash. Fucking terrible. Watford, Atletico, and now Everton. Devoid of ideas within 25 yards of how to break down a low block. I watched a triangle of Mini, Trent and Hendo in the first half of when Digne was caught out in final third by a quality ball cycle in the corner, and Henderson was away. Just a simple ball over the top with 12-14 yards to work with. For all of the showcased rondo work they do on social media, they showed little of any nous to be creative in attack.

Concerning. Am concerned about City match. We pull a banana skin vs Palace who effectively ruined the title run in 2014 and the wheels could start to wobble. Millie is steel and a title winner and looked good up to his injury but he will be out 2-3 weeks. No Robertson is a big hole. True test for Virg, I didn't see him get contact with anything in the 18 at Goodison, but Princess Richardson spent more time on his knees than any other player in that match

Flobs

FADA
Well, at least it is one point gained after the derby. It is hard to remember the last time when Everton had all the good chances and we were so toothless. They defended with purpose, hit us on the counter attack and Alisson proved once again that he is vital for us /if we had him vs. Atletico we would easily beat them/.

Fabinho had awful beginning of the match /first 5-10 minutes/, but slowly improved and at the end of the day looked like our best midfielder.
Trent was worst player on the pitch, he had so many good chances to cross and pass the ball /from open play and set pieces/, but failed to deliver.
Matip and VvD were good, while Lovren was our weak link, but it is too easy and elementary to blame him. We created nothing - Firmino, Minamino, Hendo, Gini did nothing offensively. Coleman totally neutralized Mane. Origi and AOC were lost and did nothing while on the pitch.

Milner played 4-5 times as a left back this season and twice left injured /first time vs. Arsenal and he missed 40 days and last night vs. Everton, looks like it will rule him for the season/. And Gomez is not a full back, he is a great central defender, but he gives us absolutely nothing offensively playing as a fulll back. And the fact is Klopp relies heavily on his full backs to create situations. And when TAA has a very poor game and Robbo is missing we become toothless offensively. Our midfield have working horses, but I can't see creators.
At least Keita looked decent, but still last night he did not make the difference and that is what you expect from your most expensive midfielder.

Tha lack of quality in attack is obvious - AOC is not a winger and Klopp is trying desperately to prove everybody wrong, but fact is Alex's best position is in central midfield. He is lost on the wing. Origi is a decent player, but nothing more, for 30 minutes he did absolutely nothing.
Minamino is still not ready and the fact he was substituted after 45 minutes speaks volumes /never mind that Klopp praised him after the game./.

And where are our youngsters - Williams, Elliott - on the bench, because in important matches Klopp will trust his more experienced player.
We need to add quality and this squad is crying for it.

But the most importan thing is to win the numer 19, it will be hard, it will be huge and mentally draining, but we need to do it. Palace will be a very difficult match. Zaha always plays like a beast vs. us. They are solid defensively and we will see a smiliar game to yesterday.
In these type of matches fans and the power of Anfield could be vital, but at this moment the players will have to do it without the help of the 12th player.
Firmino was our worst player not Trent.
I feel Trent 'tries' too hard in our derby matches wants to make the diffenerence and ends up being easy to defend and making silly errors.
Firmino was woeful, he only managed to control the ball once and then kicked it away from himself. He is central to how we play and when he's shit we are shit.
I think we need to take more long shots trying to pass the ball into the back of the net doesn't work when Bobby isn't on form and playing agressively.

Falcon51

City appears to have no problem scoring at all after coming off the break. They’ve blow away both teams they played! No excuse for Liverpool not to be dominant also. Now let’s see how we do against Palace tomorrow! Are we going to get the team we had earlier in the season, or the team that’s fallen flat on their collective asses recently? Yeah I give them credit for dominating the PL until things got flaky a few months ago.

If your going to be Champions, friggin PLAY LIKE CHAMPIONS! If they don’t whoop ass on Palace, City is going to crush them, Mark my words, as right now, their a better team! Why is that? Both teams had the same amount of time off, played same schedules in the PL?

Falcon51

Ok so we beat palace, The way they’re playing I’d expect City to beat Chelse’s then we go to the emptyhad for a Shootout with them which will be interesting coz if we play like we did v Everton and they play like they have been since the return that could be a long evening.

not sure what I’d prefer, beating them and winning the title in their back yard or them lose to Chelsea and have to give us a guard of honour. That would also be class.

actually thinking about it with all the changes in place at the moment would they even do a guard of honour? Or would that be something they cant do because of the Virus?
GUARD OF HONOR! Yeah their going to give us more then a Guard of Honor if we keep playing like we have been. It’ll be bend over and take it up the butt with no Vaseline as right now I feeling like the score will be 4-0 City, unless we get really hungry and start playing like CHAMPIONS again! Sorry but I’m pissed off at what I’ve been seeing on the field!

Noo Noo

Firmino was our worst player not Trent.
I feel Trent 'tries' too hard in our derby matches wants to make the diffenerence and ends up being easy to defend and making silly errors.
Firmino was woeful, he only managed to control the ball once and then kicked it away from himself. He is central to how we play and when he's shit we are shit.
I think we need to take more long shots trying to pass the ball into the back of the net doesn't work when Bobby isn't on form and playing agressively.
Ignoring the worst player on the park thing (i thought there were a few candidates for that accolade to be honest) I think our problem when this happens is the way we play. We really dont get behind opposition teams like City do, not enough anyway. That's why they score more, they are constantly turning the opposition defense. How we play in the wide areas simply doesn't put players in behind the opposition full back. There's a tendency to look or turn inside. It gets easy to defend.

Why that is I cant say but it's been a Liverpool problem for years.