• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Fulham 1-3 Liverpool (Sturridge hat-trick)

S

showmethemoney

Fulham 1-3 Liverpool

Daniel Sturridge hat-trick.
BEAST

Coutinho outstanding & brilliant & immense.

Back to back wins...

Guaranteed 6th.

Take it away......

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Slightly lucky win, although deserved in the end. Could have been different though if a penalty had been whistled for Lucas' hands in the box (50-50 decision imo, we got lucky here), or Coates sent off with the score still being 1-1.

Sturridge MoM, but Coutinho breathes into his neck with his once again triple A performance (what a sweet ball for Sturridge on the third goal!...).

Edit:

Shots on target: Fulham 8 - 13 LFC

Re-edit:

Credit to BR for seeing that our left side of the defence wasn't good enough in the first half, and Riether was always creating havoc there, so he went for Enrique and a 4-4-1-1, which worked off very well during that second half (8 shots on target during the second half, and Fulham creating a bit less dangerous actions).

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Very glad Sturridge got that hat-trick because he could have sealed the win much earlier had he not been so greedy - love the guy, but Rodgers has to encourage him to pass more. Still MOTM, but Coutinho wasn't far behind.

Classic disappearing act from Downing in the second half, I never even saw the trap-door lol

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
what can i say... another top performance by the lads... coutinho is just awesome... and more i loved the passing between our back 4... but still work to do

RMP

TIA First Team
Great match

Sturridge has a huge future for us if he can keep this form up

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Not good enough. Should have scored six at least. :angry:

Reactions: RMP

TassieRed

TIA Regular
Very entertaining game.

We could have had 6.

MOTM Coutinho for me. I know Studge got a hattrick but it really shat me off when he had 2 players on the 6 yard line waiting to tap it in and he went for it himself. Still a bit selfish maybe?

Whatever, we destroyed them in that second half. It was a delight to watch.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Typical game of 2 halves.

Awful first, quality came through in the second. Will enjoy the win and not worry about the inability of some players to pass the ball.

rab

Tuned in just in time for THAT Coutinho pass, we've absoultely robbed Inter on that deal.

I was one of those convinced Sturridge was too selfish, lacked game intelligence and wasn't worth £12m. Really happy to see I was completely wrong.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
showmethemoney said:
Come now Mr. Michael...you don't really mean that do you?
Indeed - can't believe anyone would think that was lucky. Fulham were awful, and we really should have given them a five or six goal pasting.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
we were very very lucky.....we could have a penalty for fulham and possibly a sending off of coates...

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
We tried something different in the first half, reverted back to the norm in the second, Rodgers did this a fare bit at Swansea in the dying arse part of the season so wasn't suprised, think he would learn as I remember them being 2-0 in down in one.

The highlight is that players who have not played with each other gel so effectively it was seen with Sturridge/Suarez and Suarez/Coutinho now it is shown with Sturridge/Coutinho.

RedLaw

JFT96
Can see why Fergie decided to call it a day. Said Sturridge was a risky signing for us. Clearly going senile at long last.

Daniel is exactly what we've been missing since Torres pre-sulking days. Lively centre forward who knows where the back of the net is.

Coutinho again superb. Just a shame alot of us had to endure Tony Gale's bullshit throughout the game.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Plus side:
- Win
- Borini and Sturidge are better than i remember, especially the later. Hattrick and backheels
- Wisdom plays well, Coates also do decent for us
- No Gerrard, Suarez, Agger and still win comfortably

Minus:
- Conceded from cross and some other shaky corner defend
- That Sturidge's selfish shot
- BR have to try hard to fend off Coutinho from being picked up by other clubs now. This guy is simply worldclass

t34m43

Think we saw a nice encapsulation of our season today. The first half was possession with little penetration we scored a good goal, with a really good composed finish from Sturridge. The second half showed a change in formation which I think helped us. Also though credit to Bredan, something I think he does very well, is motivate the team. I think he is a very good man manager.

The second half showing was really good, possession with penetration, lots of chances, perhaps a little too greedy from a few of our players, before we had got that 2 goal cushion. Stand outs were Sturridge, who has to get MOTM for his hat-trick, but Coutinho again showing his stuff, how many assists? Both players have made strong claims to be in those positions next season as first team players.

I really feel JonJo needs a loan to push on. Coates I have not seen much of him so I cannot comment, but I have feeling he may not be here next season. I was interested to see Downing in the role today, I feel a bit sorry for him. He does have a good delivery and showed it today, but we just do not score from an aerial ball.

All in all very happy with performance. :) One game to go.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
RedLaw said:
Can see why Fergie decided to call it a day. Said Sturridge was a risky signing for us. Clearly going senile at long last.

Daniel is exactly what we've been missing since Torres pre-sulking days. Lively centre forward who knows where the back of the net is.

Coutinho again superb. Just a shame alot of us had to endure Tony Gale's bullshit throughout the game.
We might just have our wide right forward for next year. Luis Suarez.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Couple of decisions went are way for once but, we still had to fashion those goals and we did. We have done well without Suarez and we should be positive about that. Really feel sorry for Borini, feel made up for Sturridge and just love Coutinho. When he is given space, it's a pleasure to watch what he does.

Sturridge will have to balance his selfishness with using the final ball and Jonjo has to stop trying to chop people in half. If they both temper their game, the future is bright.

As for Downing, i know he played out of position but christ he needs to go................

S

showmethemoney

Sturridge hits three at the Cottage

Daniel Sturridge's first Liverpool hat-trick secured a 3-1 victory over Fulham at Craven Cottage in the Reds' penultimate game of the season.

The Liverpool striker cancelled out Dimitar Berbatov's opener in eye-catching circumstances before sealing the win in the second half.

The trio of strikes from Sturridge increased Liverpool's away goals tally to 38 for the campaign, beating the Reds' highest Premier League record of 36. The result also caps off Jamie Carragher's 50th game as Liverpool captain in stunning fashion.

In a commanding opening quarter of an hour from the Reds, Philippe Coutinho was the architect of two inviting opportunities.

A passing exchange between him and Jonjo Shelvey allowed the latter to drill a goalbound shot that was blocked, before a solo effort from the Brazilian nearly broke the deadlock.

When it appeared certain that Eyong Enoh would steal possession from the 20-year-old, Coutinho spun away from the midfielder before charging forward and rifling a fierce 25-yard drive that unfortunately flew straight at Mark Schwarzer.

Relentless pressure from the visitors continued and an incisive pass presented Daniel Sturridge with a sight of goal.

The Liverpool stalwart slid a perfectly weighted pass through to the striker who rushed his effort and dragged it past the far post.

Despite the Reds dominating proceedings, it was the Cottagers who opened the scoring shortly after the half-hour mark.

An unmarked Berbatov met Sascha Riether's cross with a composed header that flew into the corner.

Liverpool immediately fought back and didn't allow Fulham's lead to last long as they levelled the scoring just three minutes later.

A long, hopeful ball from deep by Andre Wisdom found Sturridge in the opposition's box. The lively forward skipped past Aaron Hughes with ease before firing an unstoppable strike past the helpless Schwarzer and into the roof of the net.

Brendan Rodgers' side continued after the restart in exemplary fashion and Jose Enrique - on as a substitute for Wisdom - curled in a near pinpoint cross that was just too high for Sturridge. A minute into the second period, the full-back whipped the ball in towards the striker who had to stretch to meet it as his header soared over the crossbar.

As soon as the hour mark arrived, a period of intense activity ensued.

The first incident brought numerous claims that Lucas had allegedly handled the ball in the area. Calls for a penalty were ignored before the Reds raced up the other end of the pitch to break into the lead.

The energetic Coutinho hit a powerful shot that fortuitously deflected into the path of Sturridge, allowing the frontman to casually side-foot the ball past Schwarzer for Liverpool's second.

Following this, Schwarzer was equal to two identical shots from similar positions by Sturridge, preventing the forward's and Liverpool's tally rising to four.

With less than 20 minutes remaining, Shelvey enjoyed even less fortune in front of goal when meeting Downing's cross. After controlling the ball at the back post, the midfielder lost his footing just as he prepared to strike before his eventual attempt was blocked.

Minutes later, Reina thwarted Fulham's threatening efforts to even the scoring from a corner in heroic fashion.

Hughes met the set-piece with a glancing header towards the far post that Reina valiantly dived across to palm away.

The pulsating tempo of the encounter did not relent and substitute Fabio Borini came agonisingly close to scoring with his first contribution immediately after coming on.

The Italian raced inside before slamming a shot that crashed off the post before he was foiled by Schwarzer just a minute after.

An extravagant flick from Sturridge sent his fellow striker through before Borini's side-footed effort was beaten away by the Fulham custodian.

With five minutes remaining, the combination of Sturridge and Coutinho brought devastating results - reminiscent of the way it has done in previous games.

An accurate pass with the outside of the Brazilian's foot found Sturridge who calmly lifted the ball over the onrushing Schwarzer and into the gaping net to hand Liverpool a deserved three points.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/sturridge-hits-three-at-the-cottage

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
thought it was going to be a dull 1-0 win so was surprised by the game overall. Nothing to play for next week with Everton winning so the line up next week should be fun for Carras farewell

The Flying Pig

Our back four today was scary.

Borini looked quite sharp for his brief cameo appearance. Coutinho and Sturridge were excellent.

Fulham were pitiful.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
showmethemoney said:
Come now Mr. Michael...you don't really mean that do you?
At 1-1, the ref could have given a pen for Fulham, and we couldn't have complained about it. As for Coates, he's really a lucky man to finish that match. That was a foul and a red card, and it was still 1-1 at that moment in time.

That's why I'm talking about being lucky.

From the moment we got the 2-1, confidence came back flowing through the team, we were far superior and thus deserve the win based on performance. But the ref gave us much help, and if I was a Fulham fan, I'd be dejected right now...

Viva la King Kenny

TIA New Signing
First and foremost I think had it not been Reina's two superb saves and some calls that went our way, we would have been put to the sword by our own lack of clinical and resolute finishing.

Overlooking that, however, there are plenty of bright spots.

Coutinho I thought looked a bit flat in the first half but was reinvigorated in the second. Not sure if second goal was an intended pass but either way he was scintillating throughout the the second period. His outside foot passes are absolutely dazzling. What a gem we have in our hands. He is going to rock Europe one day with his pizzazz.

Sturridge, well well well, what can I say. Love him or hate him, he is that perpetually insatiable striker partner that we've been trawling for Suarez since he came to Anfield. I certainly had my doubts about Daniel but man has he proved me wrong. Notwithstanding a few squandered chances and selfish play at times, he has been spectacular today. Almost as many goals as games played, he might just be one of the top strikers in the League, if not the continent, one day.

The back four was a bit shaky at times and I think they need work not only on the blatant flaw of dealing with aerial threat, but their basic skills on the ball looked to be quite worrying at times today, something that is instrumental in Rodger's philosophy. Carragher, what a fucking warrior. Shame that we've lost him to Sky. We need a man who can orchestrate our defense and we better find that man this summer, within or outside of our current squad.

Overall an okay team performance with plenty of highlights but plenty more exposed weaknesses to rectify. As the season closes and with an entire summer to spare, it is only fair to expect even better things to come out of this team! YNWA!

S

showmethemoney

Hope in your heart said:
At 1-1, the ref could have given a pen for Fulham, and we couldn't have compained about it. As for Coates, he's really a lucky man to finish that match. That was a foul and a red card, and it was still 1-1 at that moment in time.

That's why I'm talking about being lucky.

From the moment we got the 2-1, confidence came back flowing through the team, we were far superior and thus deserve the win based on performance. But the ref gave us much help, and if I was a Fulham fan, I'd be dejected right now...
You're a tough cookie to please.... :p

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Lucky win, had that 100% peno been given I really doubt we would have won. In the end the table doesn't lie, luck and misfortune cancel each other out at the end of the season.

It was a very strange game. The first 60 minutes we hardly created a single chance, but were clinical when we got them. The final 30 minutes we were the exact opposite; Rampant, creating enough to score 6 and only managing to get one in. Meanwhile Reina made three saves to keep us in the match.

It begs the question then, where does this huge inconsistency come from. We've been hampered by it all season and we're no closer to improving on it. It's just one of the multitude of questions raised by Rodgers first season in charge. Usually towards the end of a season some sort of light is shed on what is happening and where the team and club are going as whole. This season though has raised more questions then it's answered. In a sense, it almost feels like we're starting this summer with a new manager.