• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Fulham 1-3 Liverpool (Sturridge hat-trick)

TassieRed

TIA Regular
Most amusing part of the game boys?

My vote goes to:

"Shit Danny Wellbeck, you're just a shit Danny Wellbeck, Shit Danny Weeeeeeellbeck, you're just a shit Danny Weeeeellbeck". Fulham fans singing about Sturridge.

Wow, I never realised Danny Wellbeck was that fucking awesome!

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I think you make a great point Ed by mentioning Gerrard as well. In fact, I think the unexpected transition of Gerrard from AM back to the deep-lying playmaker role has changed everything for BR. I'm not sure he would be willing to admit that he's ditched possession football in favor of a more "pragmatic" counter-attacking style, because I still think he's trying to get us to play with more control with the ball but I think he's realized that we're at our most effective going forward when we break fast. On the defensive side of things, he's still trying to get the team to learn to press together and recycle the ball better. I think that was the chief intention he had in mind for bringing Allen in. To facilitate this change to the new system. But it turned out that Gerrard took Allen's position so it leaves us still in a bit of a transition phase with players that have different qualities that are more suited for the fast-break - lumping it forward quickly rather than building calmly from the back.

Eventually though, I think we'll be able to hold the ball better and dominate teams more with our passing. That will probably come with time. And a few more quality additions to the team. You're right to point out that the defense and midfield is still very much in shambles. The fact that Lucas, Henderson, and a few of our other defenders played ourselves in to trouble and gave Fulham the chance to equalize on more than one occasion speaks volumes with how uncomfortable we still are with "playing it out from the back."

Arminius

FSG PR plant
TassieRed said:
So when we concede we concede big time yes?

That's quite disturbing. It seems to point to mental weakness rather than lack of organisation and proficiency.

Still, whatever, that's a topic for the off season. Right now I'm about to go and practice some Brazilian samba numbers in honour of the awesomeness that is Phillippe Coutinho.

I know everybody says this, but really, WHAT THE FUCK WERE INTER THINKING?!
That is more or less it, the mentality to grind out a narrow win over a team that has scored has just not been there. Sort of characterizes our exit in the other competitions as well, albeit imperfectly. So today's game is encouraging in that regard - particularly considering we were also using it to blood younger players.

I have absolutely no idea what Inter were thinking.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
EdWood said:
Absolutely. The barcodes win was a case in point where Coutinho (again) and Sturridge (again) cut them to pieces with direct incisive passing and quick movement on the break. I think BR said at some point that he would never sacrifice the philosophy of ball-retention as his default tactical approach, well he obviously has.

He's clearly become a pragmatist and catered his game plan to take advantage of Stevie's (and Coutinho's) laser-guided passing delivery and the sheer pace and movement of Sturridge. The results speak for themselves but even so I'm not that comfortable with yielding up so much possession, especially away from home, because our defence has been like a lunatic asylum at times, despite Carra's best efforts to organise those around him, and the more possession the opposition has in midfield the more attacks you invite on your defence.
The interesting question for me that I have discussed elsewhere is whether or not his pragmatism is this season's compromise chasing table standing in the back end of the season, or a shift in his thinking that will be reflected in August.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Hope in your heart said:
At 1-1, the ref could have given a pen for Fulham, and we couldn't have complained about it. As for Coates, he's really a lucky man to finish that match. That was a foul and a red card, and it was still 1-1 at that moment in time.

That's why I'm talking about being lucky.

From the moment we got the 2-1, confidence came back flowing through the team, we were far superior and thus deserve the win based on performance. But the ref gave us much help, and if I was a Fulham fan, I'd be dejected right now...
He might have given it at Old Trafford, other than that, it would have been harsh in the extreme. Same goes for the Coates collision.

Big shout for Reina today - some first class saves.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
For those singling Downing out for being poor this game, you are being biased. Some player are playing a worse game than Downing did tonight but again its Downing who has to go. If it is all based on tonight's performance, it will be Shelvey who has to go. Downing puts in quite a number of good crosses and some good runs winning us some corners. And one of the crosses found Shelvey totally unmarked, and guess what...he SLIPS! Of all times, at all moments, he slips just when he was open! Like what the commentator said, Shelvey has alot of prove that he can be a first team player in this Liverpool team. He is still young yes, but he simply has to do better than what he did when given a chance. And do not get me wrong, I am on the same page with everyone who thinks that Downing will never be the world class forward or winger we crave for. But since the turn of the year, he has proven to be better than the average squad player and turned in some very good performances, so its very sick to see him being singled out week in week out regardless of how he plays.

Now onto Coutinho. Simply breathless. First half, not such an impact. But credit to BR who showed bravery to change things around and Coutinho gave a masterclass on what is 'defence splitting pass'. If the 2nd goal was a lucky deflection through to Sturridge, the pass that led to the third goal leaves nothing to imagination of a gem we have in hand.

Lucas once again struggled a fair bit. I am of the opinion he is a very good player but he probably needs someone breathing down his neck for competition. Hopefully a new players coming in and maybe, just maybe as I asked a few months ago, Coady might give him a run next season.

Borini is looking sharp after the injury! Great runs, pity could not score but really mobile compared to what we saw before his injury. very encouraging.

the fullback position was much more influential after BR changed things around, so credit to him once again.

The verdict is still out on Coates. Really think he has stagnated ever since the all those tags of the best young player at this tournament, this that, that this....he just looks like Uruguayan Titus Bramble at times. Accident waiting to happen. If he is to stay here, show us something else.

steve10

TIA New Signing
First half was even. Second half - decisions in our favour which helped. Lucas handball was a penalty & probably a red card and Coates got away with one. Coutinhno & Sturridge were the only ones who turned up from the front 6 with Shelvey, Johnson, Lucas, Hendo and Downing all missing. The defence were OK and Enrique looked good in the second half.

Fulham have taken 1 point in the last 7 game and are a very average team so not a result to get carried away with.

Sturridge took his goals well and could have had a couple more and Coutinhno played well.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
It wasn't intentional so it would never have been a red card even if given.

t34m43

Lucas or Allen said:

We could play this next season and keep Reina.That leaves the defence to sort out.
Maybe Kelly will come back good or we will sign a CB to bring us on.

Coutinho was great today and Danny too.We were bad in the 1st half but I put that down to the formation.
I really think we need a first team left forward next season has a priority, Then switch Suarez with that player around. Maybe we could though back Borini to make the step up, but in my opinion left forward and center back are our big purchases this summer.

Lucas

The goals for those that missed them, sorry they can't quite live up to those that ShowMe posted...

Gears

TIA Regular
I agree with the sentiment that good strikers have to have the selfish instinct. That's why the number 10 - number 9 relationship works between coutinho and sturridge. They are not gonna get on each other's back as long as one of them is scoring.

The opportunity cost only comes in when sturridge and suarez play together - they both have that striker's ego. houllier had to choose between owen and fowler a long time ago, and unfortunately he favored owen for his pace.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
In the final analysis though it's results that matter and a flawed 3-1 win is much better than a 1-1 or a 0-1 in which we dominated but didn't get the breaks.

Points on the board and an improving GD is what will be remembered at the end of the season. Consistently good team performances with results to reward them are things to aim for next season when we'll hopefully have a quality-enhanced squad here.

S

showmethemoney

Brendan Rodgers Post Match Interview
Fulham 1-3 Liverpool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejoLOLMqZnY​

Doggie

Resident Optimist
EdWood said:
In the final analysis though it's results that matter and a flawed 3-1 win is much better than a 1-1 or a 0-1 in which we dominated but didn't get the breaks.

Points on the board and an improving GD is what will be remembered at the end of the season. Consistently good team performances with results to reward them are things to aim for next season when we'll hopefully have a quality-enhanced squad here.
What is this flawed win business?

Can we really expect the opposition not to have a shot or something? lol

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
is it the hormones rush takling, or did Daniel Sturridge just made me wanna buy his kit to celebrate his hat-trick marking the day my little Alice was born ?

such a long fucking day. for the missus, brave as a Warrior in labour. hardly got more than two hours of sleep combined.

I'm back home for tonight, gotta watch the 101GG footage before heading to "l'équipe du dimanche".

oh, and as the sports gods have heard me today, Kimi finishes second at Barcelona. that's too much for one day's work, way too much. YNWA.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Doggie said:
What is this flawed win business?

Can we really expect the opposition not to have a shot or something? lol
I was referring to our slices of luck regarding Lucas and Coates. Another ref might have nailed them, and we could have been moaning about a defeat or a draw right about now. Wasn't a perfect performance by any means but thanks to a combination of Pepe, Coutinho, Sturridge and the ref we won. Too many of our players were off the pace. A flawed win.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Glad that BR highlighted that Danny should have squared it, imagine he'll have got an ear bashing for that back in the changing rooms.

Really cannot wait for next season :D

S

showmethemoney

Martin Jol Post Match Interview
Fulham 1-3 Liverpool
[12.05.2013]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMN8YiO7wwM​

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
i_still_miss_fowler said:
Do you get yahoo goals then ?
I dont think we get any of that stuff.
There is a fox soccer to go app, but that's it I think.

OhYaBeauty

Le_hunt said:
is it the hormones rush takling, or did Daniel Sturridge just made me wanna buy his kit to celebrate his hat-trick marking the day my little Alice was born ?

such a long fucking day. for the missus, brave as a Warrior in labour. hardly got more than two hours of sleep combined.
Congrats on your daughter! A good day for all!

Edit: and tell your wife congrats, too! Its mother's day over here in the States.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Listening to Jol and the fact that a number of his loanees may be returning to their parents clubs. Personally I'd be happy if we could make an arrangement for fringe players such as Shelvey and Robinson to go there. Solid club, well run and a manager I have respect for. Play the game the right way too

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
OhYaBeauty said:
Congrats on your daughter! A good day for all!

Edit: and tell your wife congrats, too! Its mother's day over here in the States.
thanks mate ! memorable day indeed, will be hard to get that one to sink in.

being AFK for most of the week I didn't notice it was (USA's) mother's day...but it would've been weird for me to wish the missus a good mother's day only to realise that this only applies in the USA! I have absolutely no knowledge of when any of these mother, father or grandmother's day are scheduled, even less in France...

tiredness taking its toll on me right now, I may not see Sturridge's hat-trick on CANAL+ tonight...watched it already on 101GG, the larger version can wait for tomorrow's replay, I guess.

'night lads, and thanks Daniel! YNWA !