• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Fulham 1-3 Liverpool (Sturridge hat-trick)

Gears

TIA Regular
gasband said:
Or even a season long loan, furthermore, he is out of season next summer and we are probably one of the best teams in the world outside of European places who can offer him regular football. Top teams in CL or Europa might not even have a place for him.
I'd rather play sturridge up top with suarez on the flanks if that's what we get out of him.

David villa wouldn't fit in too well here since he doesn't really play on the flanks, he's 32, carries huge wages and would need an adjustment phase.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Gears said:
I'd rather play sturridge up top with suarez on the flanks if that's what we get out of him.

David villa wouldn't fit in too well here since he doesn't really play on the flanks, he's 32, carries huge wages and would need an adjustment phase.
David Villa has been playing on right or left side and still got 9 goals out of 12 games. At 31 or 32, did not check his birthdates, he has shown himself to be very mobile and not necessarily has to play central striker, that is why I think he can play the right forward instead of Downing. As for wages, the reason why I think this is the best chance to get him is because he is desperate to play. And a player at his age, wages may not be the biggest concern over the chance to play in the World Cup.

As for adjustment phase, I guess I cannot comment whether he can make an immediate or not, its anybody's guess and always a risk with any player you buy. Coutinho and Sturridge vs say like Borini and Allen. Former, immediate impact, latter, took some time to show some impact.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Gears said:

He's been playing a similar brand (loosely similar!!) of football to what Liverpool have been trying to play this season. He can play out wide to great effect as well and who knows how long an adjustment phase he would need? surely that is something you could label against any new signing?

If his wages are an issue then its a non runner. He is worth 90k a week anyway.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Liked what I saw yesterday, good win that was.
Need to see it more frequently though

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Just realised we did this without Agger, Gerrard or Suarez..... Had not even noticed arguably 3 of our best players were missing.

Something missed in the "oh it's only Fulham, and we should have scored 15"

Arminius

FSG PR plant
mattyhurst said:
Just realised we did this without Agger, Gerrard or Suarez..... Had not even noticed arguably 3 of our best players were missing.
Coutinho has been making quite a few of us forget that sort of thing...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
mattyhurst said:

Something missed in the "oh it's only Fulham, and we should have scored 15"
One might argue he could be a hindrance to the team. :)

LeoT

MarkMcC said:
Listening to Jol and the fact that a number of his loanees may be returning to their parents clubs. Personally I'd be happy if we could make an arrangement for fringe players such as Shelvey and Robinson to go there. Solid club, well run and a manager I have respect for. Play the game the right way too
I agree, I was watching Coates all game thinking
"if ever there was a player that would benefit from being sent out on loan..."

LeoT

WellRedKev said:
11 in 15 gasband.

still very impressive. Could have had more than 3 yesterday too!!

I think they are muppets for letting off smokebombs, childish behaviour and selfish too. Hopefully this doesnt become a trend and we do it every game now. At one stage the smoke was impacting on Pepe Reina's view, clowns.
I agree, anything that causes a crowded area to fill up with smoke is a massive health hazard and should be banned.
Do these plonkers not understand the panic that could be caused?

People setting off flares should be treated the same as people shouting with offensive language and kicked out the ground.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
LeoT said:
I agree, anything that causes a crowded area to fill up with smoke is a massive health hazard and should be banned.
Do these plonkers not understand the panic that could be caused?

People setting off flares should be treated the same as people shouting with offensive language and kicked out the ground.
Get over yourself, they'll be emergency flares, inhaling them won't do shit. Personally I like flares, add to the atmosphere

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Its actually a criminal offense, and people have been given prison sentences for bringing flares and smoke bombs to matches.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
i_still_miss_fowler said:
Its actually a criminal offense, and people have been given prison sentences for bringing flares and smoke bombs to matches.
I'm not sure what the law is or how dangerous they are but I was at Circo Massimo in Rome in 2006 with a couple of hundred thousand Italians when Italy won the world cup.
When Zidan droped his head and saw red the place erupted and the flares went up allround.
Dangerous or not, the buzz was imense and it certainly added to the atmosphere. What a night that was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzMbNEs_II

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
That may well be why we don't see so many in our grounds, never set one off inside a ground myself but I enjoy it when others take the risk.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
I personally love flares. Think that other countries' leagues that have them like Italy really help create an atmosphere, something that has really disappeared from the English game.

But I'm not at all surprised to find British people fearful of them.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I have nothing against them personally, but according to UK law they are viewed as a firework. Read an article a few months back about a guy who got given a 2 months in jail for simply being in possession (hadn't even got into the stadium).

S

showmethemoney

ISMF is bang on the money with his last few posts.

I agree with SoueysTash & Zeke too, they do look fantastic, but although the risk may be low - we cannot afford to be getting fires in our stadiums ever again.

Also if one of those flares went tits up & blew up in someones face or burned someone, it wouldn't be none too good either.

There are reasons why they are banned & if we ain't careful, we will have our away gates slashed & we will end up in trouble with the authorities.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I have nothing against them personally, but according to UK law they are viewed as a firework. Read an article a few months back about a guy who got given a 2 months in jail for simply being in possession (hadn't even got into the stadium).
That's just ridiculous!

I guess that bloke can thank the english fans of the 80', they always had to take it too far.

I remember my uncle telling about when england was visiting our national arena back then, they threw potatoes with razers in them against the home fans.That's beyond crazy.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Le_hunt said:
is it the hormones rush takling, or did Daniel Sturridge just made me wanna buy his kit to celebrate his hat-trick marking the day my little Alice was born ?

such a long fucking day. for the missus, brave as a Warrior in labour. hardly got more than two hours of sleep combined.

I'm back home for tonight, gotta watch the 101GG footage before heading to "l'équipe du dimanche".

oh, and as the sports gods have heard me today, Kimi finishes second at Barcelona. that's too much for one day's work, way too much. YNWA.
Forget the football, crack open the fizz and celebrate! A healthy baby and wife are just about the 2 best things you can have. Many congratulations to you all :)

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I had 5 calls on Saturday from Wigan fans wanting red ones. I told them all we were out of stock even though we've a few in. I'm not having our shop even vaguely related to a serious incident. I've seen the explode at very close quarters, in a packed stadium? Lunacy.

Being in possesion of them is not illegal but lighting them in a public place is.

S

showmethemoney

This is the story (or a very similar one) to the one I read about
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9853859.U_s_fan_jailed_for_taking_smoke_bomb_to_match/

He had not lit the thing, but they got him on possession. 2 months jail time and banned for 6 years from attending matches.

I guess there must be some sub law about possession in crowded areas or events ?
Fucking hell - "UNPRECEDENTED” indeed!

He admitted possessing a firework or flare at a sporting event in view of the pitch and was locked up for two months at Plymouth Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I am far away in nice and pretty Singapore or at least supposedly, so I will never understand the football culture far away from me. But what good does it do to have those smoke while watching a match? Its irritating and dangerous. especially if it blocks some people's vision while they are walking or something. I think its just some attention seekers, childish behaviour. Thats what I think but like I said, maybe this is a culture I am not aware of.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
gasband said:
For those singling Downing out for being poor this game, you are being biased. Some player are playing a worse game than Downing did tonight but again its Downing who has to go. If it is all based on tonight's performance, it will be Shelvey who has to go. Downing puts in quite a number of good crosses and some good runs winning us some corners. And one of the crosses found Shelvey totally unmarked, and guess what...he SLIPS! Of all times, at all moments, he slips just when he was open! Like what the commentator said, Shelvey has alot of prove that he can be a first team player in this Liverpool team. He is still young yes, but he simply has to do better than what he did when given a chance. And do not get me wrong, I am on the same page with everyone who thinks that Downing will never be the world class forward or winger we crave for. But since the turn of the year, he has proven to be better than the average squad player and turned in some very good performances, so its very sick to see him being singled out week in week out regardless of how he plays.

Now onto Coutinho. Simply breathless. First half, not such an impact. But credit to BR who showed bravery to change things around and Coutinho gave a masterclass on what is 'defence splitting pass'. If the 2nd goal was a lucky deflection through to Sturridge, the pass that led to the third goal leaves nothing to imagination of a gem we have in hand.

Lucas once again struggled a fair bit. I am of the opinion he is a very good player but he probably needs someone breathing down his neck for competition. Hopefully a new players coming in and maybe, just maybe as I asked a few months ago, Coady might give him a run next season.

Borini is looking sharp after the injury! Great runs, pity could not score but really mobile compared to what we saw before his injury. very encouraging.

the fullback position was much more influential after BR changed things around, so credit to him once again.

The verdict is still out on Coates. Really think he has stagnated ever since the all those tags of the best young player at this tournament, this that, that this....he just looks like Uruguayan Titus Bramble at times. Accident waiting to happen. If he is to stay here, show us something else.
I thought Shevley had a decent game, first half he had a lot of ball and used it well, he slipped alright at a defining moment but he will be happy with his run out.

Downing did nothing but whip in two crosses and win the odd corner. He's dirt, and Shelvey didnt cost 20m.

Therein lies the difference. No need to defend a player because you feel sorry for him and the amount of stick he gets, hes a 20m transfer that should be judged with a bit more scrutiny than a youth player trying to break into the first team.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
brightonpete said:
i'm all in favor of a bit of coloured smoke,anything that brakes up the sanitized,boring chanting that passes for atmosphere at games at the moment.if lads wanna take a risk getting them in the stadium,fair play.
So lighting up a bit of colour is a better atmosphere than footy chants??? Not on the same page on that one. Its just an added prop to take away from the poor atmosphere that is caused by people not chanting / singing at games.

a flare is a poor excuse of adding to an atmosphere.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
This is the story (or a very similar one) to the one I read about
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9853859.U_s_fan_jailed_for_taking_smoke_bomb_to_match/

He had not lit the thing, but they got him on possession. 2 months jail time and banned for 6 years from attending matches.

I guess there must be some sub law about possession in crowded areas or events ?
If it exploded and it's a big if, it could have been very nasty but 2 month? You don't get that for illegally storing or selling to kids, madness.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
WellRedKev said:
So lighting up a bit of colour is a better atmosphere than footy chants??? Not on the same page on that one. Its just an added prop to take away from the poor atmosphere that is caused by people not chanting / singing at games.

a flare is a poor excuse of adding to an atmosphere.
It's tradition in many countries tho. And usually they are used to celebrate a goal. It's about prestice between the fan groups, just like with a tifo before the start of a game. it's all about who's best basicly. It's much better battling that way than throwing disrespectful and distasteful songs at each other which adds to hosility way more In my opinion.