• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Fulham 2 Liverpool 3

anglian_red

Uberkoen said:
Yes, I watched the game live and I watched MOTD and I watched the game again.

I honestly think Skrtel should have dealt with that. Lunge forward and knock it out.

If you watch the highlights for the goal again you'll know what I was talking about.
Maybe, but the real problem highlighted by those pictures is Steven Gerrard.

Look at that space!!

LOOK!!

Fucking look at it!!

A naturally defensive minded midfielder would have been tracking Richardson (I think it's Richardson). Gerrard is just watching the ball with his back to Richardson.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
anglian_red said:
Maybe, but the real problem highlighted by those pictures is Steven Gerrard.

Look at that space!!

LOOK!!

Fucking look at it!!

A naturally defensive minded midfielder would have been tracking Richardson (I think it's Richardson). Gerrard is just watching the ball with his back to Richardson.
You not being fair. How can you say Gerrard is more to blame than Skrtel, Skrtel freaking assisted him with his poor defending!

Gerrard was in the right place when the cross was made, the space was only there cause Skrtel moved away from it to intercept it, which he failed, but wait a minute... where was Kolo in all this?

anglian_red

The mistake was made long before the cross itself comes in. The mistake was earlier when Richardson had empty space to run into.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
anglian_red said:
The mistake was made long before the cross itself comes in. The mistake was earlier when Richardson had empty space to run into.
Maybe. However, my point was that the ball was inches from Skrtel's feet. Why did he not just kick it out for a corner? Isn't the first instinct of a defender to clear the ball to safety?

anglian_red

Well on a still picture it may look that way but in reality the ball passed him quite quickly. If he's in motion at the time he might have his weight on the foot you believe he should've kicked it with.

Always looks easier on telly.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Anglian - you've got a fucking pair of balls on you criticise Gerrard after that performance, I'll give you that.

anglian_red

The assist for Sturridge's goal and the nerve to take the penalty at the end were match winning for sure, but that doesn't mean he wasn't at fault on the first goal.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
anglian_red said:
The assist for Sturridge's goal and the nerve to take the penalty at the end were match winning for sure, but that doesn't mean he wasn't at fault on the first goal.
Aha! I've figured it out!

You're Alex bloody Ferguson... aren't you?

Or a proxy.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
anglian_red said:
So what if he had a wee bit fault in the goal, seriously?! you just said it yourself he was the matchwinner ffs.

IMO both Kolo and Skrtel are way more at fault, why? their positioning was way off and the distance between them are too far, hence the real reason why there was so much space. WHy was Kolo all the way out there and not cover his zone when skrtel started to sprint to the back post and do his parody of clearing the ball.... Anyway I don't understand why you wanna fault gerrard for it, I think you way off on this.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Quagmire81 said:
So what if he had a wee bit fault in the goal, seriously?! you just said it yourself he was the matchwinner ffs.

IMO both Kolo and Skrtel are way more at fault, why? their positioning was way off and the distance between them are too far, hence the real reason why there was so much space. WHy was Kolo all the way out there and not cover his zone when skrtel started to sprint to the back post and do his parody of clearing the ball.... Anyway I don't understand why you wanna fault gerrard for it, I think you way off on this.
Quagmire, as a veteran of this forum, you've seen trolls.

Anglian_Red is a troll. A smart one, but still a troll.

- His messages often contradict the general sentiment of a thread.
- He posts about 15 times a day. That's not dedicated, that's compulsive.
- He often spews out "facts" with no basis in reality (SAS are just "Flat-track Bullies")

His posts look legitimate, because they appear to be sincere- but they contain facts that are fabricated on the spot.

He's not here to interact with fellow LFC supporters, he's here to sew sow the seeds of discontent.

Edit: PST 14 Feb - Embarrassing typo.

YNWAGerrard

Absolutely delighted with a win, but seriously I couldn't take any of that! So many nerves at the end, to come back twice in the match was great. Shows how far we've come this season showing that we have the willpower to fight on.

My oh my that through ball from Gerrard was splendid!

Walter Sobchak

Why not watch the replay before butchering Skrtel? Sure, it's a bit clumsy of Skrtel, but he' was left in very difficult situation and was the only one there who had his engine turned on;

1. It's not an easy angle for him and he is chasing the ball towards his own goal.
2. That ball would've landed 4 yards from Migs, right in front of him. Should of course have been our goalies ball. Wasn't even a difficult one.
3. Flanagan and Skrtel are left in a 2 against 2 situation in front of own goal. That's at least one of our other players not showing up for work. This situation didn't even come from blitzing fast play by Fulham. It was created out of a throw in where several of our lads were at sleep.
4. Coutinho was too slow and not on his front foot trying to close down that feller that put the cross in.
5. Remember that last Saturday at approximately 16:00, most of you guys in here would've seriously considered giving Skrtel a BJ had he asked…. Been very decent for us this season Skrtel.
I would argue that either Sterling or SG should have been in there with Flanno and Skrtel. Maybe Kolo, if someone else (again Sterling or SG) had been taking up the space where Kolo was doing a "safety job" (and to anyone not aware, Kolo was positioned quite well there). In any case, that should have been Migs ball.

Kolos own goal is almost indefensible. I can understand AnglianReds take on that, but still that one has to go to Kolo. That said, wasn't exactly brilliant defending by our midfield in any way on that one.

But this is all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round with 3 more points :)

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
YNWAGerrard said:
Absolutely delighted with a win, but seriously I couldn't take any of that! So many nerves at the end, to come back twice in the match was great. Shows how far we've come this season showing that we have the willpower to fight on.

My oh my that through ball from Gerrard was splendid!
By improving on their own, individual performances, the players are improving the performances of their teammates.

It's a magnificent thing to witness.

Defuz

Hope in your heart said:
Can't agree with this. Watch the Arsenal game again, he was fantastic, just as solid as Skrtel. Both of them delivered a top class performance. Also, since he has had the opportunity to play regularly alongside Skrtel, our defensive stability has become better. On corners and free-kicks, we look solid now.

Much has been said about his error at WBA, but that can happen to any player. It was a bad blip and I wouldn't read too much in it.

What he can't do though at 33, is to play every three days. He needs at least one week recovery, then he'll be ok. He was brought in as fourth-choice defender, and to bring in his experience and winning spirit into the squad. As it is, he has had to play every game since a long time now, and yesterday, he clearly looked a bit sluggish. The own-goal looks ridiculous, but frankly, it's more to do with lack of luck than anything else. But he wasn't at his best anyway, and that has got to do something with the legs.

Overall, I see him joining us as still a brillant move by BR imo, maybe the best of last summer. Imagine where we would be if he wasn't here...

Agger coming back will be a boost for everyone though, Kolo included. I hope he will be fit enough to start next week-end already.
I have to agree that the depth he provides for a free was a great move. My disappointment comes from his early, strong games where we all marveled at his steady and reliable play. Compared to his recent flubs, I see more erratic play of late. In fairness, all center back pairings have had issues this year, so when he's in I may be giving him too much discredit as opposed to looking at the bigger defensive picture as a whole.

Urban Achiever said:
......The second goal is just as much on Mignolet, I think. You simply cannot allow a ball to drop in the 6-yard box without going for it. I don't care how poor Skrtel and Flannagans communication is.... and yes, they should have done better.... but Skrtel is right when he immediately after the goal appeals to Mignolet; Get off the fu*kin' line and go for the ball!....
I was beyond mad at Mingolet for that second goal. He needed to throw his body at that ball, not flailing arms and legs. Didn't show any guts there when desperately needed.

Still.....3 points and a huge character building 'W'. I need to let the bad crap go...

tesh

TIA New Signing
All this drama of whose fault it is, is frankly a bit prissy, full of self indulgence and most of all, pointless.

Toure was at fault.

There were others at fault but the buck stops with Toure. You could go back and blame Skrtel, Gerrard, Flanno, maybe even Eve for getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden but the fact of it is that the ball was hardly travelling and he had time to clear it. Everything he did trying to clear it was wrong. He was too slow moving his feet, his body position was wrong, he was falling backwards and he took his eye off the ball.

Urban Achiever

1st goal...... maybe some mistakes are made. OK, but mistakes are made all the time. Kolo completely fucks it up because he's off balance when the ball comes at him... it hits a bump and he's to blame for not clearing. Why? It wasn't even close to being a dangerous cross. He's not even under pressure by a Fulham-forward and should simply just clear it.
It's on my man Kolo... and everyone knows I love the guy :)

2nd goal.... some seriously poor defending by Skrtel and Flanno.... BUT why is Mignolet not coming out to pick a cross that's landing in the 6-yard box.... no excuse: It's on Mignolet... which Skrtels reaction also clearly shows. A top keeper does not let a ball land in the 6-yard like that... it just cannot happen and everything after that falls back on him.... it's his area = his responsibility.

But hey... FFS... we fought hard, we played well for a good part of the match, we came back from being behind two (!) times.... WE WON!!! Let's not argue too much about who might or might not have positioned themselves right or wrong after such huge personal errors. The main thing is that the system is working. The defense as a unit is defending better than it has for the entire season... and some time before that as well. Errors will occur... all over the pitch... but what we did yesterday was we covered for eachother and won it as a team! Migno may make a mistake but then again how many times has he saved us? Kolo may fuck up but then people just forget all the good things he brings.

It's a team-sport.... which is what we showed yesterday and what we'll have to show if we wanna take it further. Good teams have room for mistakes because they are so good that they (as a team) make up for it. That is exactly what we've been missing for a long time. You have to be able to deal with mistakes.... 'cos they happen.... and true class is being able to do just that.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Urban Achiever said:
BUT why is Mignolet not coming out to pick a cross that's landing in the 6-yard box.... no excuse: It's on Mignolet... which Skrtels reaction also clearly shows. A top keeper does not let a ball land in the 6-yard like that... it just cannot happen and everything after that falls back on him.... it's his area = his responsibility.
I agree with this completely.

I've absolutely no problem with Migs not being the kind of keeper, who'll dominate his box. That's OK - the club knew that when they bought him, but every keeper should be taking responsibility in the six yard box.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
I'd like to clear something up. I'm not blaming or pointing fingers at anyone or looking for a scapegoat. I love Skrtel to bits and we fucking won an amazing game. The point was to initiate a discussion regarding the errors we make in hope that these get identified and resolved.

anglian_red

tesh said:
All this drama of whose fault it is, is frankly a bit prissy, full of self indulgence and most of all, pointless.
If it's that pointless then why did you treat us all to a paragraph of you doing it as well?

Mascot88 said:
I agree with this completely.

I've absolutely no problem with Migs not being the kind of keeper, who'll dominate his box. That's OK - the club knew that when they bought him, but every keeper should be taking responsibility in the six yard box.
I'll go with that. I'm pretty sure Lloris would've sorted that out for instance.

jimbo

TIA Regular
I'm my opinion spurs have an easier run than us now.. I can't stand spurs really hate them!

Away at Southampton will be a tricky game for us, Chelsea and city at home and manure away!

Spurs have to go to the bridge and play arsenal and us

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
SG another epic game. Would like to see him wind up from 25-30 yds out and crack a few on net. He had SO MUCH space in transition and Hendo/Cout/Suarez keep overlooking him for pass. Lead him by a few yards and let him fire. We lack that in our mids, if anyone can do it.....

Suarez becoming very patient in his drought. Not freaking out as much on the mates.

Sturridge is so good at finishing.

Hopefully someone in the backrooms watching videos notes how we are not crashing the net. Suarez's shot in the 2nd half should have had a body at the far post. Its a Carra special, that one. Suarez pushed a cross across face of goal only a few feet off the goal line and NOBODY home. Elementary stuff really, someone has to be there. Will chalk it up to Sterling's learning curve.

Happy with the result! My nerves were shot after that game. Glad to see we fought back twice away from home to secure very important points

LeoT

The first goal was not all Kolo'a fault, the ball clearly bobbled in front of him.

This is the kind of thng that happens in football, if it happens to a striker in the opposition's box then the striker's shot lands in row-z or hits the corner flag.
However, if it happens in your own box then bad things can happen. Thats why strikers shoot and hope the ball bounces just in front of the keeper, cos it's really hard to judge a bouncing ball, especially on a wet day in a bumpy penalty box.

I think Kolo did lose almost all of his confidence after that though, so he was poor for most of the rest of the game.
I really hope he regains his confidence by this weekend's Arsenal match, I'm sure he'll play some part even though Agger is back.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
trygve76 said:
Having consistently mocked Cissokho in the past for his input, I'll hold my hand up and say he has really improved in the last couple of games. Our best defender last night by a good margin, let's hope it continues.
Good man, lot of people don't admit that on here.

tesh

TIA New Signing
anglian_red said:
If it's that pointless then why did you treat us all to a paragraph of you doing it as well?
Because I'm right and everyone else, ever, is wrong...

Walter Sobchak

Semmy said:
Hopefully someone in the backrooms watching videos notes how we are not crashing the net. Suarez's shot in the 2nd half should have had a body at the far post. Its a Carra special, that one. Suarez pushed a cross across face of goal only a few feet off the goal line and NOBODY home. Elementary stuff really, someone has to be there. Will chalk it up to Sterling's learning curve.
Correctomundo! Countless times we've seen players just do a full stop once the ball is deliver to especially Suarez and also Studge. Typically, we see Suarez have a quick look for anyone in the box, finding none, then go for a shot from an almost impossible angle.

We could have had many more "hockey" goals if we had a man or two that charged more often towards the posts. I'm a bit puzzled by this. Don't they learn? If Sterling has charged down towards the line, who does he see when he looks up? He sees Suarez, just in front of the goal waiting for that pass. Put 2 and 2 together lad!

And as Semmy points out, same thing on free kicks, though we are generally better there. But, what I'd like to see more often on free kicks goes to the same; a man who is eager to be first man in in case of a rebound from the goalie, or an off the post ball etc. Too much spectating going on.

jimbo

TIA Regular
too many of us are getting ahead of ourselves. We have some very big games, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Manure. We need a result against Spurs and City. Not the same cliche but seriously every game now is a cup final. Im worried about Spurs they have an easier run in than us.

Superior Complex

The prem is so full of shocks this year that noone can predict anything. Arsenal are now only 5 points clear of 4th, and they have a tough fixture list starting from Saturday.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Superior Complex said:
The prem is so full of shocks this year that noone can predict anything. Arsenal are now only 5 points clear of 4th, and they have a tough fixture list starting from Saturday.
3pts....

We need to keep winning ours, we got the points after 90 against Fulham and saw others had slipped up same as Arsenal last week and Everton. Let's do our job and let the others do what they can do, it's in our hands.

WrongIslander

I was delighted at the points and the manner of the character shown but really seeing a team that played their hearts out and literally could hardly stand three days before win every 50/50 for a whole half of football practically was worrying.

We're lightweight in midfield and that needs to change.