• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Fulham 2 Liverpool 3

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Just woke up to see this result and have to say it means every bit as much to me as the 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal.

One of a few Villa/WBA/Hull esque potential slip ups that could have bit us on the arse, but we got away with.

Massive win in my book, 3 points is all that matters to me, and anyone not delighted this morning needs to give their head a shake.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Have to say, it's glaring evidence today how much we need a midfielder who can strike the ball from distance.

When you have a team defending you by camping in the 18yd box, easiest way to FORCE them out is to pepper some shots from distance.

their mids will he drawn out to challenge the shot taker and passer of the ball, they won't be able to sit back like they did.

was hoping to see more threats from Gerrard in that aspect, he had tons of space but wasn't getting the service from square balls and tap-backs from strikers.

would like to see Suarez drop back for the odd one as well. With his shot they would have to double him up, would free up space for others

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
After the excitement of the hard fought victory, we must wonder why we almost lost 2-3 points.

There are so many positives to take away from today's effort. The youngsters and their relentless pursuit to do well for the team. The experienced, level-headed captain and his stand-in co-captain. Boy is Luis turning out to be a captain in the works.

But we must not mask the problem. Today, our offense got us an unbelievable result. On another day, and possibly against a team other than the league's 20th, would have cost us.

During the in-match thread it was so obvious that the mistakes of the past transfer window were going to prevent us from having a chance. Our squad's so thin. The injuries, which we were all so aware of, have required Kolo who's aging fast, to have to play 2 games in 4 days again. Before the game it was all about how the Fulham players were going to be tired. Up until the 50th minute, we were the ones who were somewhat lithargic or apathetic. And we looked like our motivation was lacking.

A miserable sod, like kwala tagged me, I'm not. I'm not sold on some of the decisions that were made (or avoided). I am honestly concerned that a crappy, undeserving club like Spurs could overtake us.

Our hope is that our top 12-13 players stay healthy and fit.

Congrats to our starters for digging deep, and finding the strength to pull this off.

Defuz

Skittles has improved as the season progresses, but he and Agger are prone to spastic moments. Tonight he totally hashed that cross and dropped the ball at Richardson's feet. To be fair, Mingolet was atrocious at exactly the wrong time. He needed to throw himself at the ball, which he had the time to do. Instead he conceded the shot and got beaten badly.

As for Toure.... he regresses as the season progresses. After starting the season so strong and promising, today he started out looking like a spastic fart of a 12 year old who shat himself under pressure.

Up front we were a foot off, and timing was a fraction away. What last week was to perfection, this week was a series of head-in-hands frustrations. Fulham packed it in, making the timing more critical, but I'd give more credit to our being a fraction off.

All the misses aside....we won. In recent years, we drew or lost. Best of all.... they're playing like they expected a win, and worked for it. This is a team, even with HUGE defensive issues, that's full of expectation. Excited for the rest of the season, but worried about the back line.

Bobbinho

LFC-Orlando said:
After the excitement of the hard fought victory, we must wonder why we almost lost 2-3 points.

There are so many positives to take away from today's effort. The youngsters and their relentless pursuit to do well for the team. The experienced, level-headed captain and his stand-in co-captain. Boy is Luis turning out to be a captain in the works.

But we must not mask the problem. Today, our offense got us an unbelievable result. On another day, and possibly against a team other than the league's 20th, would have cost us.

During the in-match thread it was so obvious that the mistakes of the past transfer window were going to prevent us from having a chance. Our squad's so thin. The injuries, which we were all so aware of, have required Kolo who's aging fast, to have to play 2 games in 4 days again. Before the game it was all about how the Fulham players were going to be tired. Up until the 50th minute, we were the ones who were somewhat lithargic or apathetic. And we looked like our motivation was lacking.

A miserable sod, like kwala tagged me, I'm not. I'm not sold on some of the decisions that were made (or avoided). I am honestly concerned that a crappy, undeserving club like Spurs could overtake us.

Our hope is that our top 12-13 players stay healthy and fit.

Congrats to our starters for digging deep, and finding the strength to pull this off.
Why bother? we won....we got 3 points...who cares about what if this or what if that...we won ffs, we move on....we've played better & lost....that my friend is football for you...contrary to what you might think.....it really is beyond science statistics & attempts to control & measure....it's a game...subject to all kinds of factors & CONTEXT....

On paper....we should have "controlled" the game....set ourselves up to nullify Fulhams chances...but what can you do when fucking Kolo Toure flips one in like THAT.... lol leaving us in all kinds of problems whilst gifting Fulham the opportunity to gain a bit of confidence & get into the game....

Sorry if i seem a bit harsh but i think people need to understand that this game is totally unique because things happen that shouldn't happen all the time.....there is a magic in that....Liverpool tapped into that magic under managers like Shanks & Paisley, the fan's were up for it too....is what made our Club what it is...a unique Club that understands a unique game.

We should celebrate this victory, came from behind TWICE....to win....if that doesn't show character & determination to win then i don't know what does....

Enjoy it Orlando, ya miserable git, ya. :p lol

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I can't handle more games like this. my heart cant take it.
forget about about ticket pricing, the fans commeitte shold demand that all LFC games should start with a 20 minute blitz with 4 goals. if they keep it up, nobody would survive to see us take the title.

I think for the next match, agger for kolo. enough said.

bes

Brendan heading into the dressing room

The traveling kopites after Stevie's goal.

I dont even want to comment on the game, 3 points and no injuries and idgaf. 4 points off Chelsea with them and City still to come to Anfield. As much as I want to avoid Mous game, we're a dangerous little horse!

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Okay. Having watched the game again I noticed that it was actually Skrtel at fault for both goals. Yes, Toure messed up on the clearance but that was primarily due to the bounce on the ball. The ball should have been cleared by Skrtel earlier on.

For the second goal, first Skrtel conceded that free throw which lead to the goal. Second, He stood in no mans land and thirdly, there was a lack of communication between Skrtel and Flanno.

I really enjoyed that game though. Grinding out a result like that after going down twice it says a lot about the team and its credentials. I just hope we can sort out our away form. There's such a drastic difference in our game when we play at Anfield as opposed to playing away.

I really hope this game brings about another boost in the morale of the team and gives them the never give up mentality which btw Suarez has. Did you see how desperate he was? So disappointed when they scored that second goal.

Anyway, our fate is in our hands. We keep playing the way we are at home we'll demolish anyone that comes there and that should guarantee top 4 at least and hopefully even more.

artanisknarf

Did not need this much excitement in my life. Next game 3-0 please.

Needing 3 goals to win games is getting to me. Thank Fowler we have an attack that can manage in most games.

Bobbinho

Uberkoen said:
Okay. Having watched the game again I noticed that it was actually Skrtel at fault for both goals. Yes, Toure messed up on the clearance but that was primarily due to the bounce on the ball. The ball should have been cleared by Skrtel earlier on.

For the second goal, first Skrtel conceded that free throw which lead to the goal. Second, He stood in no mans land and thirdly, there was a lack of communication between Skrtel and Flanno.

I really enjoyed that game though. Grinding out a result like that after going down twice it says a lot about the team and its credentials. I just hope we can sort out our away form. There's such a drastic difference in our game when we play at Anfield as opposed to playing away.

I really hope this game brings about another boost in the morale of the team and gives them the never give up mentality which btw Suarez has. Did you see how desperate he was? So disappointed when they scored that second goal.

Anyway, our fate is in our hands. We keep playing the way we are at home we'll demolish anyone that comes there and that should guarantee top 4 at least and hopefully even more.
Haven't seen the highlights but if that's true then Skrtel seems to have gotten off the hook a fair bit, personally feel that Sakho is needed, people are calling for Agger but for me he's just as unreliable as Skrtel, too much at risk now, need everyone pulling their weight....

Libero

Agger needs to come in, and I think he will this weekend in the fa cup. As soon as he came on he won a few crucial headers, he is also better moving the ball from the back than kolo is. Kolo has done a reasonable job, I just hope that any changes made do not throw the balance of team out.

Libero

Just to add it seems that the team unity seems fantastic at the moment. As it should be. Everyone getting around each other when we score, the players on the bench reacting angrily to decisions going against us, aspas was losing it on the sideline. It's good to see, loved gerrards celebration as well for the pen.

bes

Uberkoen said:

I hope your kidding. Flanno was far too up the pitch when they pressed and Gerrard didnt mark his man while he made a run + Kolo was ridiciously deep on that OG. He had no business that far and Skrtel went around the back so if anything he would of had an impossible angle or shoot the ball straight @ Kolo. + We make mistakes with positioning and some shit clearances but good god that OG was dreadful and its Kolos second brain fart in 2 matches.

That second one goes on everyone somewhat. Flanno/Skrtel got confused with their men and it let Skrtel to make some impossible clearance in our OWN 6 yard box. Where the fuck was Mignolet, Ill answer that, on the line thinking there was a shot coming.

The way you put Skrtels name @ fault for both goals is bizarre, hes a scapegoat but I see little criticism of Flanno who wasnt good and Cissokho was our best defender but receives little praise, Kolo with another brainfart and we somehow point elswhere. Weird

kopite1982

This side reminds me of the harry redknapp spurs side with bale, modric, vdv etc that finished 4th. So attacking, yet still poor at the back. You score one we score two, you score two, we score three.... Kolo is having a nightmare & needs time on the bench. Agger back in asap .

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
bes said:
I hope your kidding. Flanno was far too up the pitch when they pressed and Gerrard didnt mark his man while he made a run + Kolo was ridiciously deep on that OG. He had no business that far and Skrtel went around the back so if anything he would of had an impossible angle or shoot the ball straight @ Kolo. + We make mistakes with positioning and some shit clearances but good god that OG was dreadful and its Kolos second brain fart in 2 matches.

That second one goes on everyone somewhat. Flanno/Skrtel got confused with their men and it let Skrtel to make some impossible clearance in our OWN 6 yard box. Where the fuck was Mignolet, Ill answer that, on the line thinking there was a shot coming.

The way you put Skrtels name @ fault for both goals is bizarre, hes a scapegoat but I see little criticism of Flanno who wasnt good and Cissokho was our best defender but receives little praise, Kolo with another brainfart and we somehow point elswhere. Weird

This is the first goal. Skrtel could have easily kicked it out for a corner.

I'm not saying Toure is innocent but Skrtel messed that one up as well and the awkward bounce caught Toure.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Toure fell on his hole as he went to kick it, I didn't see much of a bobble to be honest.

Uberkoen said:

I'm not saying Toure is innocent but Skrtel messed that one up as well and the awkward bounce caught Toure.
It was a lovely thru ball, that picture doesn't do it justice. Did you watch the game live?

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
WellRedKev said:
Toure fell on his hole as he went to kick it, I didn't see much of a bobble to be honest.

It was a lovely thru ball, that picture doesn't do it justice. Did you watch the game live?
Yes, I watched the game live and I watched MOTD and I watched the game again.

I honestly think Skrtel should have dealt with that. Lunge forward and knock it out.

If you watch the highlights for the goal again you'll know what I was talking about.

Bobbinho

Ah, yes, let the post-mortem of this wonderful victory begin, such a crying shame...a necessary biopsy i know, but for me...just veils the beauty of the game/result....

Back line has been good against Arsenal etc..., BR will have to deal with what he has.....in that respect he has my sympathies, for some reason i feel more confident about our home form re these things, seem to save our worst for the away games....not that it mattered in this one though as we battled through it....

No way BR will be happy with things as they are, hopefully we will see Sakho back asap.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Uberkoen said:
Yes, I watched the game live and I watched MOTD and I watched the game again.

I honestly think Skrtel should have dealt with that. Lunge forward and knock it out.

If you watch the highlights for the goal again you'll know what I was talking about.
You will probably watch it a few more times before todays out then, looking forward to hearing more analysis. haha.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Uberkoen said:

Better yet, let's blame the guy who allow the ball to reach Holtby, he should not have let Fulham gets the ball to Holtby. If someone made a mistake, he has to own up to it. Toure sliced the ball, not once in that game but twice. His fault the ball went in. He should have done much better considering his experience in the position he is in.

tesh

TIA New Signing
The blame for the first goal was Toure's. The lead up is irrelevant. There can be all the mistakes in the world in the lead up to it but in the end, Toure put the ball in the back of the net.

A couple of things enforce this for me. First he was leaning backwards as he was trying to kick the ball and second, as the ball was played with little pace he should have time to sort his feet out and kick the ball to safety. The falling backwards could be due to a couple of things, either he was trying to kick the ball to too hard or he was slow in setting himself before contacting the ball.

This can be written off 'as one of those things'. He's experienced, has been in those types of situations hundreds of times and so thought, "I've got this - easy peasy". He didn't set himself properly, tried to hit it a bit too hard, took his eye off the ball, all of those things, and bang he shanks it into the back of the net. Is it so different to the penalty that SG conceded (which annoyed me intensely) in the previous game? However, with Toure, I wonder if that is part of the problem, is he switched on fully at all times? Is this likely a 'form' issue or is it an inherent and/or age issue?

With Toure you have to decide whether to persist with his mistakes or give someone else, who will also make mistakes, a go. Agger is an option. Personally, I'd like to see if Kelly can move there or indeed Wisdon at some point.

Trouble is every game from now on in is critical. Persist with the known unknowns of Toure or the unknown, unknowns or another! Over to you BR...

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
3 points, whatever way it comes, I'll have it.

Good win away, even if we did win fugly.
We do have an issue with defence, but we have had all season, Skrtel is getting some stick here but he had a pretty decent season, even he's allowed the odd bad game, or is he?

Hope BR tries Agger with Skrtel, they were pretty decent a couple of years back, meanest in the league if I recall, certainly seemed to have a better understanding than some of the other CB pairings that have been tried.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Joao Teixeira and Suso are going to be two freaking sexy beasts.

What composure and what confidence on the ball in your first EPL match.More so when your team is desperate to get that 3rd goal.Not avoiding the responsibility by quickly getting rid of the ball and passing it to the seniors.
In the dying seconds, the little kiddo even tried a pass from outside of his right foot, to Suarez...which even though it didn't reach the target (and showed his immaturity because Fulham countered) still made me just a little more happy.

@match
Happy with the result and determination shown by the side.

Libero

WrinkledMind said:
Joao Teixeira and Suso are going to be two freaking sexy beasts.

What composure and what confidence on the ball in your first EPL match.More so when your team is desperate to get that 3rd goal.Not avoiding the responsibility by quickly getting rid of the ball and passing it to the seniors.
In the dying seconds, the little kiddo even tried a pass from outside of his right foot, to Suarez...which even though it didn't reach the target (and showed his immaturity because Fulham countered) still made me just a little more happy.

@match
Happy with the result and determination shown by the side.
Threw himself at a shot and made a nice block too, good little debut.

cw37

Teixeira would win a award for being a cool dude. I normally say players should wear plain black boots and get on with the game but that lad suits them he looks trendy.
I took ages getting to sleep last night. I need the easy wins. In fact i have been getting used to them.
It is good that despite there being a few negatives last night we still scraped a win. The signs are looking very good.