• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Fulham v Liverpool (EPL 17/3/19 3.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

• Wijnaldum

• Lallana [off 72’]

• Mane [GOAL 26’]

Votes: 128 78.5%
  • Salah [off 90+2’]

• Firmino [off 72’]

• Milner [on 72’, GOAL 81’]

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Origi [on 72’]

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Sturridge [on 90+2’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
So many comments in the pre-match along the lines of ‘let’s smash them’ or ‘opportunity to get the goal difference up’, but that’s not realistic. It’s an away game against a team virtually in last chance saloon, after we’ve had a midweek match against Bayern Munich at their place.

We’re so often guilty of setting impossible expectations, and then criticising the team when they don’t meet them.
it's weird often when we fans are overconfident and predict winning with 4-5 goals, the team struggle to play up to their best and reverse when we're questioning the line up and think the midfield lacks creativity and so on the team put on a convincing performance and win comfortable.

I guess we need to be more negative and doubtful lol

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
I am happy that the mistake did not cost us.
Vvd looked down when that goal went in.
Hopefully, this is that mistake, which helps us and ensures no more fuck up.
I really want salah and Bobby to hit top form for the next 7 games.
This is going down the wire, and it will help if our front 3 are in rampage mode.
I understand that form comes and goes (ask Missus BostonMick)
but.....
what the heck has happened to our front 3? overall this season and particularly since the new year? (Sadio of course excluded)
I long for the heavy metal power chords of the front 3's debut and follow up albums
while I still love these new double concept albums - and they are top of the charts - I miss the intricate interwoven guitar solos...
ok time to go back to work

Arminius

FSG PR plant
So many comments in the pre-match along the lines of ‘let’s smash them’ or ‘opportunity to get the goal difference up’, but that’s not realistic. It’s an away game against a team virtually in last chance saloon, after we’ve had a midweek match against Bayern Munich at their place.

We’re so often guilty of setting impossible expectations, and then criticising the team when they don’t meet them.
It was a match against a team with 17 points, which is 3 losses or Burnley wins away from relegation. They have allowed 70 goals this season, no other team has allowed 60 while scoring less than a goal per game. I don't think anticipating a game where LFC simply took control, scored two, and demoralized them was an impossible expectation. Something of a wasted opportunity, but fortunately managed to pull the points out of the fire.

Last edited:

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
it's weird often when we fans are overconfident and predict winning with 4-5 goals, the team struggle to play up to their best and reverse when we're questioning the line up and think the midfield lacks creativity and so on the team put on a convincing performance and win comfortable.

I guess we need to be more negative and doubtful lol
It’s the only path to happiness

Red over the water

Three points is the main thing, but beyond that the performance level wasn’t quite there, and it was an opportunity missed to close the goal difference gap. While there was only a goal in it, Fulham retained some hope of getting something from the match, but had we added another shortly after Mane’s opener, I think the floodgates might have opened a bit.

Still, it’s hard to say. As I watched it we looked a bit out of sorts, so overall I’m very happy with the three points.

Looking at the table over the international break makes for pleasant viewing!

LeoT

Good win, i always expected a tough match.
Just when it started feeling as though the chances of us wining the league would be "Probably Not", then we're awarded a (well deserved) penalty,
so the chances feel like "Maybe" again.

Matip has a 50 pence head, he misses the target on at least 1 free header per match.
He still did ok, and didn't make the screw up the VvD made, so no complaints really.
Does Alisson realize that a keeper is allowed to use his hands, ...very strange incident.

3 points is 3 points, no banana skin, and all was good after the lord mayor's show.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It was a match against a team with 17 points, which is 3 losses away or Burnley wins from relegation. They have allowed 70 goals this season, no other team has allowed 60 while scoring less than a goal per game. I don't think anticipating a game where LFC simply took control, scored two, and demoralized them was an impossible expectation. Something of a wasted opportunity, but fortunately managed to pull the points out of the fire.
Yeah, we made a meal of it, but back under Rafa we’d come off a European midweek away, and then scrap out a one goal victory over a team who we should have pasted. Let’s not forget City had a much more straightforward midweek, and then struggled against a championship team. It’s the way it goes.

I sort of expected we’d get a first half goal, score another in the second and the teams would shake hands on sixty.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Yeah, we made a meal of it, but back under Rafa we’d come off a European midweek away, and then scrap out a one goal victory over a team who we should have pasted. Let’s not forget City had a much more straightforward midweek, and then struggled against a championship team. It’s the way it goes.

I sort of expected we’d get a first half goal, score another in the second and the teams would shake hands on sixty.
Yes, exactly what I expected - did not expect a 5-0 pasting coming off a CL away win.

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member

The midweek thing did cross my mind this weekend, actually. Worth noting that after playing midweek as well both United and Chelsea lost this weekend, while as you say City had to bust a gut to scrape past a lower-league side.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It was a match against a team with 17 points, which is 3 losses away or Burnley wins from relegation. They have allowed 70 goals this season, no other team has allowed 60 while scoring less than a goal per game. I don't think anticipating a game where LFC simply took control, scored two, and demoralized them was an impossible expectation. Something of a wasted opportunity, but fortunately managed to pull the points out of the fire.
Fulham were abject. Certainly for the first half they looked at least two divisions below us. I think it was all a bit too easy for us as they never threatened. We fell into a bit of a coma and only snapped out of it when we gifted them a goal. I thought our response to that was really good.

I am not too arsed about performances now. It's all about points and winning games. We are not going to beat City on goal difference. We got into that mindset in 13/14 and look what happened. I don't see many cruise control wins between now and the end of the season. It's going to be hard going. Edge of the seat stuff for the last 7 games.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Fulham were abject. Certainly for the first half they looked at least two divisions below us. I think it was all a bit too easy for us as they never threatened. We fell into a bit of a coma and only snapped out of it when we gifted them a goal. I thought our response to that was really good.

I am not too arsed about performances now. It's all about points and winning games. We are not going to beat City on goal difference. We got into that mindset in 13/14 and look what happened. I don't see many cruise control wins between now and the end of the season. It's going to be hard going. Edge of the seat stuff for the last 7 games.
That is really why I wanted to see that 2-0 and game control pattern, get players like Origin and Shaqiri on in the second half and sharpen them in case they are needed. If we are making hard going of that Fulham side, April is going to be tense.

SBYM

Chicken Biggle(s)
Hard to watch, and like many I thought that goal would be this year's "slip". But this time we turned it around and came out with the three points - which makes me hope that the end result of the league will go the same way.

Mo needs a goal. Doing absolutely everything right but finishing. And it's obvious it's in his head now. But think if he gets one he'll get a hatful. The dam's about to burst.

That's about all I have to say on it.
Did read in Forrest Gump voice.

dockers_strike

Spot on. It does my head in when I see those kind of comments virtually every game. It doesnt take into account the fact Fulham had a whole week to prepare for us while we were away in Bavaria. Fulham may have conceeded a lot of goals but who has smashed them this season? Spurs won with a last gasp goal

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
From now on, it's just a matter of belief. This is the last lap, we will have lots of resistance, lots of rivals fans spewing shit towards us, almost all team going to park a fucking triple decker.
Mentally, our players needs to be at their best, there will be times over the remaining games, where we will be under pressure, pinned back, decisions going against us, that is when the leaders of this team need to step up.
As fans, we should be the 12th Man, cheer every fucking moment, our lads need us !

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
From now on, it's just a matter of belief. This is the last lap, we will have lots of resistance, lots of rivals fans spewing shit towards us, almost all team going to park a fucking triple decker.
Mentally, our players needs to be at their best, there will be times over the remaining games, where we will be under pressure, pinned back, decisions going against us, that is when the leaders of this team need to step up.
As fans, we should be the 12th Man, cheer every fucking moment, our lads need us !
It's the ones shouting for substitutions almost immediately that do my nut in.;-)

Magnus

I was visiting a friend and was unable to watch the game. I have taken note of the result and the comments on this forum. I did not expect us to play our best games after the Bayern game and 2-1 is quite acceptable. An important victory.

donks

TIA First Team
7 more games 7 more wins and we are champions, sounds easy eh.

That was a very poor performance and the form of some of our player is a big worry if I'm being honest. Yes delighted with the win but we will be punished very soon if certain players keep playing at their current level.

Thought Firmino was very poor again and he really needs to start contributing and scoring goals. Passing again very sloppy and no goal threat from midfield yet again.

Spurs next after the break is huge now as City play Fulham that Saturday and will be a point clear before kick off.

sms1986

Spurs next after the break is huge now as City play Fulham that Saturday and will be a point clear before kick off.
Might be a point clear, City aren't invincible. I know City are very likely to win, but Fulham have a chance.

LFCFFC

That was a very poor performance and the form of some of our player is a big worry if I'm being honest. Yes delighted with the win but we will be punished very soon if certain players keep playing at their current level.
Not having a go here at all, but I've been hearing the above intermittently since the second half against Brighton at home.

Agreed it wasn't the best performance, but ultimately this team seems to have a knack for getting the job done, even if the football isn't as pretty or free flowing as last year.