• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Fulham v Liverpool (EPL 17/3/19 3.15pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Robertson

• Fabinho

• Wijnaldum

• Lallana [off 72’]

• Mane [GOAL 26’]

Votes: 128 78.5%
  • Salah [off 90+2’]

• Firmino [off 72’]

• Milner [on 72’, GOAL 81’]

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Origi [on 72’]

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Sturridge [on 90+2’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I was at the game in the Fulham stand today. A very different perspective on things having to stay calm for the entire game (as pretending to be neutral at the least).

We were the better side for the vast majority of the game. It was a pleasure to watch our shape in the first half. Every ball out of defence came through VVD and onwards. Sometimes to Matip and out, but always out to one of our fullbacks who had a free run at each corner on either side.

Lallana was useful carrying the ball in the middle. And Firmino also finding space and creating little one twos on the edge of their box. Along with the balls in from the aforementioned fullbacks we created a lot of chances.

Salah still looks like he is trying to hard, but it is certainly better than not trying at all and, bar the obvious brianfart, the defence dealt with all Fulham had to throw at us (which was not too much admittedly).

It is also worth mentioning that the only period that Fulham got on top of us was during a freak hail storm with mental icy rain and gusty winds which definitely affected the run of play.

My heart fell when Babel scored just after Klop had taken Firmino and Lallana off and it felt like we would struggle to find a goal in the time left... Then all became calm again when I realised it meant that Milner was there to take the penalty they offered to us. He does not miss those.

Respect to Fulham. It is a pleasant place to go and the fans are not dicks. I had a great day out. Seeing some of the players get back on the coach out the front of the ground was a bonus... As are the (deserved) 3 points that keep us in the title race
Fulham is probably my favourite London ground. Friendly little place, close to the pitch, fans are not dicks and some nice bars in the Fulham palace road. Real shame if they go down.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs
The game should've been easier than it was. We were in so much control in the first half and we should have been two or three goals to the good. As in all 1-0 situations we were always open to being pegged back, and pegged back we were. Saying that, who would have said it would take a sliced ball from Millie, a feeble back header from Virg, and a weird attempted save from Becker to allow our old player to score. Ah well, at least it was 3 points in the bag and a short but noticeable climb to the top of the EPL. RESULT.

koptician

We'll go again!
Anyone know why Shaq has not been getting any game time despite being on the bench?

Flobs

FADA
There was more quality in that match than some are giving credit for. It really showed when Milner came on how fast and intense it really was he was well off the pace and it nearly cost us the match, well, at least the win.
Yes we dominated but Fulham for me were decent, they didn't appear afraid and there was plenty of space for both sides all through the game. 3 errors cost us a goal that got me really worried until Mané came up again forcing their goalkeeper into a really blatant error. At that moment I was pleased Milner was on the pitch.
MOTM for Mané again however a good team performance I just wish we could score that elusive second goal to give us a comfort zone. Then again I can remember regretting not getting the opener in the past so there is surely improvement.
A relieveing 3 points and some nice pressure on Shitty. :celebrating:

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Anyone know why Shaq has not been getting any game time despite being on the bench?
I would guess we are looking at trying to renew Origi's contract and persaude Lallana he still has a future here. Klopp likes effort in training so perhaps we can also think along the lines that Shaquiri isn't putting in the required effort in comparison to others. Also tactically how does he fit in atm?
Mané is taking a central role more often and our play is wider being covered by Salah, TAA, Wijnaldum and Lallana.
Having said that I would still liketo see him more often.

Last edited:

Lynch04

Smeg Head
We’re top of the league because we’ve been fucking brilliant. I’m so tired of this bullshit.
I completely agree with what you are saying, but at the moment it feels like we are stumbling a bit towards the finishing line. Mane is definitely carrying us from a conversion point of view, Salah just needs a goal to kick him on. Its almost as if he is trying too hard. Anyhow 3 points is what we need and is what we got so onwards and upwards

Joely G

TIA New Signing
They slow it down on the telly and you can see the movement and see the passes and you get the impression the defenders should have been able to do something about it.

In real life you just see 5 red shirts swarming the penalty area then the ball is in the back of the net. Must be a nightmare to defend against!

dockers_strike

Watching our first goal on MOTD. You do not get a real sense of how fast we swarmed that box from the highlights. That side of our game is scary in real life!

Also, saw myself in the crowd. Really... really... really small, but undoubtedly me:celebrating:
its the only time we moved fast in the whole game. That was the probelm as far as Im concerned. Played too slow but the boys had a hard game against Bayern midweek while Fulham had none. And that's why I worry about going far in the CL, we looked tired at the best of times, more so after a CL away game.

jaffod

Watching our first goal on MOTD. You do not get a real sense of how fast we swarmed that box from the highlights. That side of our game is scary in real life!

Also, saw myself in the crowd. Really... really... really small, but undoubtedly me:celebrating:
Mentioned it to my lad, it's not often we get 5 or 6 men into the box like that in open play.

jaffod

its the only time we moved fast in the whole game. That was the probelm as far as Im concerned. Played too slow but the boys had a hard game against Bayern midweek while Fulham had none. And that's why I worry about going far in the CL, we looked tired at the best of times, more so after a CL away game.
The warm weather breaks are supposed to condition the players for the run-in I'm led to believe. We'll see. Tbh I don't think they looked jaded today, just thought we were guilty of the usual over-playing in the final third and trying to score the perfect goal.
That said I did think before the Bayern tie that going out would increase our chances of the PL and I still think it could kill us in the end. However we are close to having a fully fit squad for the run-in so might be able to rotate more effectively. Plus most of our games are well spaced out, think the Cardiff game after Porto away is on the Sunday. If we can take a good lead to Portugal we should be able to coast a bit while City and Spurs kick shit out of each other.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Hard to watch, and like many I thought that goal would be this year's "slip". But this time we turned it around and came out with the three points - which makes me hope that the end result of the league will go the same way.

Mo needs a goal. Doing absolutely everything right but finishing. And it's obvious it's in his head now. But think if he gets one he'll get a hatful. The dam's about to burst.

That's about all I have to say on it.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Anyone reckon Shaq a falling out?
He’s not played for ages. Not even coming on from bench.
Only thing I can think of is when you saw Salah case back when Fulham has counter shaq just wouldn’t do that.
I'm beginning to think he has tried it on with JK's Mrs.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Champions League midweek flu sort had city especially united. 3 pts that's all that matters.. tough being a Liverpool fan Christ that feeling @1-1.. pressure cookers ain't got shit on james milner 11 out of 12 or 12 out of 13 from the spot.brilliant stats.
break now enjoy.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Hard to watch, and like many I thought that goal would be this year's "slip". But this time we turned it around and came out with the three points - which makes me hope that the end result of the league will go the same way.

Mo needs a goal. Doing absolutely everything right but finishing. And it's obvious it's in his head now. But think if he gets one he'll get a hatful. The dam's about to burst.

Yeah it's unbelievable how NBC's "youtube" special on LFC had to outline in such great detail the 3 missed chances we had in 2001-2, 2008-9 and 2013-14, with the slip and all.

I won't say a word until after May 12.

Macolfc

Glen Johnson spoke with 5 live about Shaq not getting playing time. Not in so many words but basically said he was a bit of nightmare. His words where On Shaqiri, Johnson said: “When things were going well, he’d be a big player for us and he’d perform. When things weren’t going well, he’d be hit and miss. That was obvious to see.”... he also went on to say that Shaq will of “most likely” had a strop because of playing time & Klopp will of put the matter straight to bed.

If anything like this has happened then that’s why he ain’t getting on the pitch. Klopp doesn’t seem like the type of manage to take any shit from his players on/off the pitch.

RedYank

Was not able to watch today--at a function--so had to follow along by phone updates. Was fine while 0-1 was going on, but when seeing 1-1, muttered a bit too loud "bugger!". Looks turned my way...sheepish look on my face. Then see 1-2 come up...and I could scarcely muffle a "yesssssss!!". Looks again, but I was a good lad thereafter.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
How many of the boys are leaving for Int'l duties? I know Virg is leaving, I saw his Tweet earlier. Gini, Bobby, Fab, Sadio, Degsy, Shaq, Alisson?

I'm pretty sure Mo has not been named to Egypt for this one.

The timing (and risk) feels less than ideal, but maybe keeping the boys active over the break will help them. And Joe and Ox will be 100% fit after the break.

Tokyo_Red

TIA New Signing
Wjnaldum, Mane, Robbo and Lallana has really good games. Firmino was a touch from being superb, Salah is getting on his tits now, Virgil was one stupid Milner clearance from being MoM again.

We weren’t clinical and our midfield deserved more goals from all the hard work. Fulham got lucky by playing a very dangerous game but ultimately it cost them.

Babel is class and he could do a job for us! Origi is Babel in disguise.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We were mentally and physically tired after that huge game against BM in what's one if the best CL game of last decade for us. So we probably wanted to play in gear 1 without draining ourself. Which resulted in a crap performance.

At this point of the season, its all about managing games and winning 3 points by whatever means with less negative impact to ourselves. We kind of did that and walked with 3 points. It's all that matters now.

PS - Salah, Bobby, Robertson and TAA are probably the most used players for us. They need rest here and there to be on the top of their games. So shame that we don't have adequate alternatives to these players.

LFCFFC

Agreed on Mo. It's just not falling for him at the moment, but it'll come. I was willing that shot in when Mane put him through on goal late in the game, but it wasn't to be.

One thing that can't be questioned is his work ethic and commitment to the team. Yes, in his desperation to score he's probably trying to do a bit too much instead of looking to lay it off, but that 80 metre sprint he made to cover our defense when Fulham were breaking says everything you need to know about him.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I completely agree with what you are saying, but at the moment it feels like we are stumbling a bit towards the finishing line. Mane is definitely carrying us from a conversion point of view, Salah just needs a goal to kick him on. Its almost as if he is trying too hard. Anyhow 3 points is what we need and is what we got so onwards and upwards
So many comments in the pre-match along the lines of ‘let’s smash them’ or ‘opportunity to get the goal difference up’, but that’s not realistic. It’s an away game against a team virtually in last chance saloon, after we’ve had a midweek match against Bayern Munich at their place.

We’re so often guilty of setting impossible expectations, and then criticising the team when they don’t meet them.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
So many comments in the pre-match along the lines of ‘let’s smash them’ or ‘opportunity to get the goal difference up’, but that’s not realistic. It’s an away game against a team virtually in last chance saloon, after we’ve had a midweek match against Bayern Munich at their place.

We’re so often guilty of setting impossible expectations, and then criticising the team when they don’t meet them.
Thought the 'smash them - they're shit' comments are some kind of a running gag in here lol