• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Genk v Liverpool (UCL 23/10/19 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Milner

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Lovren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Robertson [off 64']

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Keita

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 2’, GOAL 56', off 73']

Votes: 102 87.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 87']

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Firmino [off 80']

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Mane [GOAL 77']

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Gomez [on 64']

• Wijnaldum [on 73']

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Origi [on 80']

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
A decent and comfortable result. A few hair-raising and excellerated heartbeat moments in the first half. I am so happy we got an Away win.

Mo and Sadio, besties again. Fabinho was solid and Naby was great, the more minutes he gets, he will be fantastic. So glad AOC got his goals, a good confidence booster for him. He is well and truly back. Milly, what can I say, we need him. LFC just hurry up and sort his contract out asap.

We are not at our absolute best overall, but we are getting there, but we will get there.

Well done Redmen and the away fans who travelled.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
I was groaning at the screen when our boys tried all the cutesy passes and flicks but losing the ball as a result in the first half. Klopp also mentioned about bad passes caused us a lot of problems early in the game.

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I think he would play Shaqiri, Lallana and Origi.

I get that Origi had emotional ties to Genk, fine, but did Wijnaldum really need another 30 mins in his legs while we were cruising?

I lile the Klopp is ruthless but I wosh he hadn't lied to the kid and told him he can't go on loan as he will be a first team squad member. He's no closer to gametime than he was 2 years ago.

I'd be pissed if I were Rhian. If Klopp thinks he isn't good enough that's fine but he is getting stringed along at the moment.
I think Klopps holding him back for a reason,tbh i'd rather him learn whats wanted from him and then use him,rather than throw him in at the deep end and lose confidence if its not happening for him.

His last interview i seen him in last week,he said Klopp is teaching him to be patient,he said "so i'm being patient" with a smile on his face,so i don't think he's pissed off,just undersands what Klopps wanting from him and happy to keep his head down and learn.

I don't think it's as simple to play in this team as just putting your boots on and get on the pitch and play,take Robertson for example,it took him around 6 months for the penny to drop,to know exactly what his role is within the team and he hasn't looked back,i have a feeling Keita is going to follow Robertson's pathway into the team to an extent,(i'd be exstatic if he achieve's anywhere near Robertsons level in Midfield).Those 2 alone were/are seasoned pro's and full internaionals aswell,so i'm happy to see Brewster be level headed about not playing atm and not pulling a Sterling on us.

Last edited:

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
great result,
good to see Mane and Salah working together and scoring,
which bodes well for the future,

glad to see Keita get a full game, it will help his match fitness and confidence no end,

As for the Ox, WOW, 2 great goals, just what the doctor ordered!
his confidence must be soaring, great new for us!

As for Genk, how the hell did they get pumped 7 nil in their 1st game?
there not the best team, but they are not the worst either,
Hope they beat Red Bull in the reverse fixture!

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
damn! no clean sheet!
however, a 4-1 win away from home in CL, first in 10 apparently!
Great 2 goals from Ox, solid performance from Keita, and Millie was excellent on both flanks.
1st half we were open at the back and were lucky not to concede. Genk had some decent players.
Did the Genk fans join in singing YNWA? Sounded like it!

Pipes performed well!!!

Time for special blend...…...….

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Just saw the highlights (five to seven minutes)
Where was THAT Bobby against Man. U? Did Man U mark him that effectively or is there another reason?
Why was Genk’s goal disallowed? Looked good?
Was that Lovren who got bundled off the ball at the end on the touch line to set up their goal? (Looked eerily like the time he had it in our corner and set the opposition up for a goal)
Great to see Ox on fire. Keita also looked to involved in an impactful way
Great to get the away win
I hate TNT

[email protected]

Just saw the highlights (five to seven minutes)
Where was THAT Bobby against Man. U? Did Man U mark him that effectively or is there another reason?
Why was Genk’s goal disallowed? Looked good?
Was that Lovren who got bundled off the ball at the end on the touch line to set up their goal? (Looked eerily like the time he had it in our corner and set the opposition up for a goal)
Great to see Ox on fire. Keita also looked to involved in an impactful way
Great to get the away win
I hate TNT
The initial receiver of the ball down the wing was offside and was flagged by the linesman. The referee didn't blow and let play continue and raised his arm after the ball went into the net but then let VAR check it. Looked the correct call although a tight one.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We were fortunate in the first half. At least a couple of their chances would probably have been ruled out by VAR for offside had they gone in but they got in behind too easily with simple balls over the top. We lacked pace on the right hand side with both Milner and Lovren playing but then maybe just dropping off a few yards would have helped there.

In the end we tired them out. They had a good go in the first half but were completely shot in the second. We just grind teams down but you still need to put the ball in the net and all our goals had so much quality tonight. Ox's second was sublime. Mane just didn't have the time and space to do what he did in lifting it over the keeper. Salah's goal reminded me of Maradona. Loads of strength and outrageous skill then the coolest finish.

Shame we couldn't keep a clean sheet and the high line defending is still a concern, but results have gone for us tonight and we are on course to comfortably qualify for the knock outs.

melbournered

That third goal was exquisite.
I was pleasantly surprised to see both Ox and Naby start and especially pleased to see them play well.
It would be good to see Naby run at defences more which was his trademark at Leipzig.
When he starts doing that ,watch out.
Oh and goals from midfield,yay!!

nikz200

Urghh , i hate that this poster thing might be made a big deal of.

What we should be focusing on is how key Ox and Naby were tonight. We talked about having those difference makers from midfield who can score and take the game forward, both exemplified that forward attacking nature. Salah when he clicked with Mane and Firmino tonight was impressive. Just all around good interplay for the Mane goal and Salah goal which was great to see.

Genkn did give me scares during the first half the amount of space they were given . Maybe due to our high line? But it required a lot of running back on our part. That header they had disallowed was quite telling as well. I thought the days of a striker outpowering our defenders in the box for a header was a thing of the past.... apparently not.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’ve only just read about the Origi banner. I’m stunned, no wonder he looked miserable as sin when he came on. This has made the National news now, I just hope to God it wasn’t our fans who were responsible.

Danny_

The old Ox is back! :D :D :D :D :D . Genk celebrated like they had won the CL when they scored their goal in the last few mins. It was a very good performance and much needed confidence boost for the game against Spurs

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
its 2019, the poster is ridiculous.

even if we set aside the racial steroetyping (which we cant and wont) and the implications and historic bias'

lets just pretend we can for a second...

its still a crime against comedy....i mean, who really finds that shit funny anymore regardless of race creed or colour?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
ricky gervais was taking the piss out of that kind of comedy on the office season one i think....thats over 15 years ago....think of the social changes that happened in most 15 year gaps post WW2.

we do seem to have stalled as a culture.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
its 2019, the poster is ridiculous.

even if we set aside the racial steroetyping (which we cant and wont) and the implications and historic bias'

lets just pretend we can for a second...

its still a crime against comedy....i mean, who really finds that shit funny anymore regardless of race creed or colour?
Whoever did it definitely cocked up.