• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Genk v Liverpool (UCL 23/10/19 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Milner

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Lovren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Robertson [off 64']

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Keita

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 2’, GOAL 56', off 73']

Votes: 102 87.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 87']

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Firmino [off 80']

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Mane [GOAL 77']

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Gomez [on 64']

• Wijnaldum [on 73']

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Origi [on 80']

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaffod

4-1 looks like a hiding but in truth many of the old failings were evident in the first half. Not enough pace, too many touches in the final third and the same difficulty in penetrating a side sitting deep and asking us to break them down. We knocked it about and from side to side 25 yards from goal without the craft or guile to slice through them.
Luckily they allowed AOC the freedom of the park to smack one in from 20 yards but if we'd conceded that goal I'd be fucking livid. His second was sublime though and Genk heads went down after that one.
Good to see Keita get the full 90 minutes but would like to have seen Fabinho and either Sadio or Mo subbed off earlier.
Expect us to wallop these at Anfield and if Napoli beat Salzburg again we can maybe give a few of the lads the night off for the last game.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Well in one night Iv seen a banner with a large penis and our very own mods described as nazis.
On the plus side I thought we played ok. Was great to see keita and Ox beginning to earn their place back in the first team. That could be valuable.
Defensively we look a bit at sea but a win is a win.
Bring on the spurs.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Final score is a bit misleading.
It was a much better performance than midweek, no question about it, but with exception to a few players ( mainly Ox, Keita and Mane ), there was no aggression in our play. Not a lot of Urgency.
Most of the players never came out of 2nd gear.

Keita, while wasn't creative really covered every inch on the field, snapping at everything that was near him. Once Firmino came off, I was surprised to see that Salah and Origi played central, Mane actually played in the middle behind them. kind of a 4-4-2 diamond, and actually pretty good.

Ox second goal was a beauty, but still the play of the match was Firmino's Raboona. Special.

FGred

its 2019, the poster is ridiculous.

even if we set aside the racial steroetyping (which we cant and wont) and the implications and historic bias'

lets just pretend we can for a second...

its still a crime against comedy....i mean, who really finds that shit funny anymore regardless of race creed or colour?
I can’t believe they were British supporters they must have been Belgian lfc supporters that’s not the kind of humour we are used to?

liver1

Final score is a bit misleading.
It was a much better performance than midweek, no question about it, but with exception to a few players ( mainly Ox, Keita and Mane ), there was no aggression in our play. Not a lot of Urgency.
Most of the players never came out of 2nd gear.

Keita, while wasn't creative really covered every inch on the field, snapping at everything that was near him. Once Firmino came off, I was surprised to see that Salah and Origi played central, Mane actually played in the middle behind them. kind of a 4-4-2 diamond, and actually pretty good.

Ox second goal was a beauty, but still the play of the match was Firmino's Raboona. Special.
That was a ridiculous pass.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
If we leave the willy gags there, we might just get away with them......
Agree, wouldn’t want to be shafted after such a solid night

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Decent enough - Genk absolutely went for it, and eventually tired. Was going to happen, especially with an attacking midfield like that.

My main takeaway is that Degsy fucking Loven should never be allowed near a football pitch in a Liverpool jersey again.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Keita made a game-high 118 passes (80 in the opposition half) and still managed to complete 93 percent of them. The Guinea international had the most touches (138), contested the most duels (14), made the most possession gains (12) and added three tackles and an interception. His performance is no surprise to insiders at Melwood, who told ESPN FC that he looked "ready to catch fire" during recent training sessions in which he was the standout performer.

Red over the water

Job done. We got better as the game wore on, with four away goals more than getting the job done. You could pick holes in some of the sloppiness but there was a lot of good stuff too. Ox with a couple of nice goals. That shot with the outside of the boot reminded me of some sort of Gerrard improvisation.

Keita grew into the match and the numbers he put up were very impressive. Between both Ox and Keita we have a couple of great options knocking on the door of starting Prem games. It’s not the right approach to be praising one of our midfielders and having a pop at another. They all bring something to the party and if all of them are starting to get there in terms of form and fitness it’s a great situation to be in.

Being a Liverpool midfielder is a very demanding position to play. It’s one department where I could see us regularly shuffling the options and not seeing the overall level drop much at all. In fact, they could all spur one another on with the level of competition for places that is emerging. Bring it on!

Anyway, job done. Take them back to Anfield, repeat the trick, and qualify while Napoli and Red Bull fight it out.

Spurs up next. Good team and they will want to show it. A lot has been written about their problems, but playing against Liverpool has a way of bringing out the best in teams who want to measure themselves against us. We will need to be focused and a bit better in all departments.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Certainly wasn’t our best effort but I’ll take 4-1 in Europe,ta muchly!
Nice to see Ox among the goals,that lad has attitude to burn,hope he stays fit.
With luck this game might put to bed the story of a feud between Mo & Sadio,hope so,it was only ever about competition.

Hopefully we are getting back to our best,and maybe Spurs will be the victims.

alaskared

Kloppite
3 points, away win all good.

Perplexed by the endless attempts at playing super short passes when players where heavily marked, but then you watch Salah wiggle away from 3 men and score.....

Yet again we weren't at our best, one of these days it's all going to click at once and we are going to batter someone with poetry in motion.
This Sunday would be a good time.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Well in one night Iv seen a banner with a large penis and our very own mods described as nazis.
On the plus side I thought we played ok. Was great to see keita and Ox beginning to earn their place back in the first team. That could be valuable.
Defensively we look a bit at sea but a win is a win.
Bring on the spurs.
You’ve been reading the same posts as me ! It was a strange night that’s for sure. Hopefully we teach the spuds a harsh lesson and put this behind us.

Flobs

FADA
Goal scorers get recognition. I personally thought Keita was better than Ox in this game.
they had different roles. When AOC was involved he often made a difference however there where long moments he went missing. Keita was involved a lot and most of the time playing deeper and taking on the Gini role. I thought both did ok however our press suffered with both of them in the team imo without the support of Hendo, Milner or Gini Mané, Firmino and Salah had a hard time slowing the counters down after losing the ball.
Gini was good when he came on playing a more attacking role he's done that before at the end of matches and often does look more 'natural' doing that than the deeper stuff.

Flobs

FADA
The initial receiver of the ball down the wing was offside and was flagged by the linesman. The referee didn't blow and let play continue and raised his arm after the ball went into the net but then let VAR check it. Looked the correct call although a tight one.
Oh! really that's not what my commentators noticed but then they didn't even know the names of the players on the feild. :LOL:

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Foul on Millie some would have given it but once that goes to VAR the goal shouldn't stand imo.
It was disallowed for offside..............it certainly didn't look like a foul to me. The guy just used his physicality to out jump Milner. Almost every header would be a foul if they disallowed on that basis. I would hate to see a game where all physical contact is ruled out.

I assume they were all using the same Belgian TV feed as it took ages to get any replays....

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
It was disallowed for offside..............it certainly didn't look like a foul to me. The guy just used his physicality to out jump Milner. Almost every header would be a foul if they disallowed on that basis. I would hate to see a game where all physical contact is ruled out.
You can take that up with the commentators on my stream. They were useless. I would say that refs do give fouls for that in open play and repeat VAR would support that, it was a hefty push in the back using the elbow however on a goal scoring chance whatever. :)
Anyway @[email protected] has set me right a much more obvious take all I can say about that is don't the commentary teams get the same images as the VAR? or were they and I really missing something? :LOL:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I can’t believe they were British supporters they must have been Belgian lfc supporters that’s not the kind of humour we are used to?
Sadly I don't think we can swerve this one on the Belgians. Apparently the banner, ar at least a similar version of it, has been in circulation since Madrid. I like a good nob gag as much as anyone but it's not funny. It's the most blatant piece of racial stereotyping you will see. It's just depressing that we have morons like that following our club who think this sort of thing is acceptable in 2019.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
they had different roles. When AOC was involved he often made a difference however there where long moments he went missing. Keita was involved a lot and most of the time playing deeper and taking on the Gini role. I thought both did ok however our press suffered with both of them in the team imo without the support of Hendo, Milner or Gini Mané, Firmino and Salah had a hard time slowing the counters down after losing the ball.
Gini was good when he came on playing a more attacking role he's done that before at the end of matches and often does look more 'natural' doing that than the deeper stuff.
The press game suffered, and I think one of Ox or Keita will be a better fit with Gini/Milner/Hendo. Particularly against stronger teams. I thought Ox and Keita were worthy of higher than "ok" though!
Ox could rotate up front as well maybe.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
It's probably just me, but at times last night it looked to me as if Slavko Vinčič was an illuminati of the martin "fergie's rent boy" atkinson school of refereeing. Or perhaps he was simply determined to prevent us from mauling Genk in the same way we had tonked his hometown team, Maribor, seven nil, back in 2017. Why else would he completely ignore Maehle's foul on Bobby, denying us a clear cut penalty?

Maehle makes absolutely no attempt to jump for the ball, and just runs through Bobby.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Thought it was offside
It was. The lad who crossed it received the ball in an offside position.

In fact, most of the promising attacks from balls over the top would have been given offside. It was irritating how the commentators were creaming themselves over them.

It’s also annoying how VAR has created a situation where attackers can receive the ball offside, and as long as it doesn’t directly lead to a goal, they can retain possession high up the pitch.