• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Genk v Liverpool (UCL 23/10/19 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Milner

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Lovren

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Robertson [off 64']

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Keita

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 2’, GOAL 56', off 73']

Votes: 102 87.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 87']

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Firmino [off 80']

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Mane [GOAL 77']

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Gomez [on 64']

• Wijnaldum [on 73']

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Origi [on 80']

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red over the water

My tuppence worth on the banner:
Out of touch, misplaced, unfortunate stereotype quickly and rightly condemned by the club.

In the current climate racism is a hot issue. England v Bulgaria. Carra and the Suarez t-shirts. Rio Ferdinand having a pop saying the apology is too late. A fan getting banned after the Man Utd v Liverpool game. Loads more examples if we want to keep going. Racism is always wrong, but at the moment there is more of a concerted effort to combat it, and thus an increased sensitivity.

Against that backdrop the banner was not just unfunny but it was stupid.

Without knowing who was responsible and what motivated them, I would imagine they wanted to praise Origi and add to the sort of cult following that has sprung up around him - important goals, fan song about him, Jamie Webster adding to all that... not bad for a back up player who, until fairly recently, looked to have lost his way on loan and most would have said his time at Liverpool was up.

So credit to Origi. It’s a nice story.

The banner is not the way to show support, and hopefully the swift correction from the suits at the club will serve to educate as we move forward.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
It was. The lad who crossed it received the ball in an offside position.

In fact, most of the promising attacks from balls over the top would have been given offside. It was irritating how the commentators were creaming themselves over them.

It’s also annoying how VAR has created a situation where attackers can receive the ball offside, and as long as it doesn’t directly lead to a goal, they can retain possession high up the pitch.
The live action images didn't show the position of the players at the point when the ball was kicked; and it took ages for the VAR image to come through:

But it was definitely offside.

The UEFA directive, requiring assistant refs not to flag for offsides, but to rely upon VAR review, is simply ridiculous.

Sweeting

I'm sure some pundits just write stories based on pre-conceived ideas.

Stephen Warnock on the BBC has just accused Naby Keita of "ambling" his way through the game. So confusing.

114 passes, 93% pass completion, 3 tackles, 1 interception.

The players Warnock said would have offered more "stability" (for lumped balls from the CB to the CF.....?) were Wijnaldum and Henderson. Wijnaldum averages 1.2 tackles and Henderson averages 1.6...

Last edited:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Was a pretty poor performance in the first half, the second they put some pressure on Genk when they tried to attack and bar the fuck up at the end it was a decent second half even enjoyable.

Lovely goal by the Ox. The obsession with Liverpool's full backs doesn't really explain why most things Genk did went through the middle and when they did use the wing Robertson was in front of the play not catching up. Salzburg game there 3 goals went through the middle.

I guess it sort of explains why we have the best defence in the PL even though apparently it's been rubbish according to various talking heads.

Flobs

FADA
The press game suffered, and I think one of Ox or Keita will be a better fit with Gini/Milner/Hendo. Particularly against stronger teams. I thought Ox and Keita were worthy of higher than "ok" though!
Ox could rotate up front as well maybe.
It was a very low intensity game. Even MK Dons (even if the technical ability wasn't there) was much more intensive. In that MK Dons match Keita didn't show up. That they got joy in such a low intensity match has to count for something and as PL is so intensive one has to account for that and conclude that they were ok. What's wrong with ok anyway? It's a damn sight better than shit. :) I mean there's many matches were I feel our midfeild was ok (though Fabinho tends to not go below good and he was again).

Edit: I feel they are worthy rotation options also Fabs, Gini and Hendo can all do with that rotation.

Flobs

FADA
Out of touch, misplaced, unfortunate stereotype quickly and rightly condemned by the club.

In the current climate racism is a hot issue. England v Bulgaria. Carra and the Suarez t-shirts. Rio Ferdinand having a pop saying the apology is too late. A fan getting banned after the Man Utd v Liverpool game. Loads more examples if we want to keep going. Racism is always wrong, but at the moment there is more of a concerted effort to combat it, and thus an increased sensitivity.

Without knowing who was responsible and what motivated them, I would imagine they wanted to praise Origi and add to the sort of cult following that has sprung up around him - important goals, fan song about him, Jamie Webster adding to all that... not bad for a back up player who, until fairly recently, looked to have lost his way on loan and most would have said his time at Liverpool was up.

The banner is not the way to show support, and hopefully the swift correction from the suits at the club will serve to educate as we move forward.
Surely if you wanted to praise him you would give him big balls? :oops:

Flobs

FADA
The live action images didn't show the position of the players at the point when the ball was kicked; and it took ages for the VAR image to come through:

But it was definitely offside.

The UEFA directive, requiring assistant refs not to flag for offsides, but to rely upon VAR review, is simply ridiculous.
Oh! that's the VAR picture, I wondered what that was when it was shown. My stupid commentators didn't seem to know either.
Btw our offside trap was a lot better than the refereeing body gave it credit for. :)

Flobs

FADA
I'm sure some pundits just write stories based on pre-conceived ideas.

Stephen Warnock on the BBC has just accused Naby Keita of "ambling" his way through the game. So confusing.
I can understand that, the match was low intensity so Warnock's comments would reflect that.

jaffod

It's probably just me, but at times last night it looked to me as if Slavko Vinčič was an illuminati of the martin "fergie's rent boy" atkinson school of refereeing. Or perhaps he was simply determined to prevent us from mauling Genk in the same way we had tonked his hometown team, Maribor, seven nil, back in 2017. Why else would he completely ignore Maehle's foul on Bobby, denying us a clear cut penalty?

Maehle makes absolutely no attempt to jump for the ball, and just runs through Bobby.
I thought the same, blowing for a foul at the slightest touch from our lads. The penalty was nailed on, clear as day, and like you say memories of Martin Atkinson were coming to the fore.
When he disallowed the Genk goal I thought I'd been wrong about him because it looked a perfectly good goal to me, then they showed the lad was about 2 yards offside in the build up....

FGred

Sadly I don't think we can swerve this one on the Belgians. Apparently the banner, ar at least a similar version of it, has been in circulation since Madrid. I like a good nob gag as much as anyone but it's not funny. It's the most blatant piece of racial stereotyping you will see. It's just depressing that we have morons like that following our club who think this sort of thing is acceptable in 2019.
Ah OK I was crediting some of our travelling supporters with brains especially in the current climate where racism is finally getting addressed.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I'm probably missing something here, but is his big cock not just a derivative from his name being Divock. I've definitely heard him called Big Cock Origi/ Big Cock Divock and it not because he is black but because that's his name.

It puerile and not especially witty, but I'm not 100% convinced it was done with racist intent.

Flobs

FADA
I'm probably missing something here, but is his big cock not just a derivative from his name being Divock. I've definitely heard him called Big Cock Origi/ Big Cock Divock and it not because he is black but because that's his name.

It puerile and not especially witty, but I'm not 100% convinced it was done with racist intent.
Surely then it should be 2 cocks not 1 big one? :oops:

Let's be clear here it's childish and stupid. So let's make that clear to everyone. Childish and stupid is ok in private amonst friends but publically on 'banners' it should be banned.

Last edited:

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member

Good post but mark my words I reckon that banner will come back to haunt this club. The moral high ground is a slippy treacherous place and we have just spectacularly and very publicly fallen off it. The rest of the premier league will cheerfully add it to the list of reasons why they hate us. I don’t give a fuck what they think but it is still embarrassing to be associated with something so crass.

FGred

I agree it probably was meant as a compliment but we have to be careful now anything will get pounced upon and rightly so

liver1

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
To be fair I wrote that we needed result in Genk elsewhere ahead of this game, totally forgot about Firmino penalty, was very odd as VAR panel has overruled the ref and awarded them in Europe unlike the PL. It was obviously one as the player wasn't even looking at the ball.
That's not how VAR works. VAR can't overrule the referee - what would have happened (at least what you'd think would have happened) was something along the lines of:

Player smashes into the back of Firmino, ref waves play on
Ref hears voice in ear "Er, mate you should have a look at that on the video, that looked fairly dodgy..."

At which point the ref said "No, bugger off, I saw it, its not a foul and I'm not giving it, they smashed my hometown team a couple of seasons ago, and I've never forgiven them for i... I mean, I think it was a forceful but fair challenge."

Similarly the goal Genk had chalked off, the linesman actually raised his flag - was in one of the other replays and only saw it for a split second, but the ref had acknowledged it before the goal was even scored (had his arm in the air for an indirect free kick as the ball was headed in.) What was weird for that is that despite the linesman flagging, the ref acknowledging it, he never actually blew the whistle for it. So the play ended up with the ball in the net so it HAD to go to VAR since all goals are reviewed by default now. Almost like the ref said "Yeah, I see you think he was offside, but lets let it play out in the hope that he wasn't."

Red over the water

Good post but mark my words I reckon that banner will come back to haunt this club. The moral high ground is a slippy treacherous place and we have just spectacularly and very publicly fallen off it. The rest of the premier league will cheerfully add it to the list of reasons why they hate us. I don’t give a fuck what they think but it is still embarrassing to be associated with something so crass.
Absolutely - fans will look to use anything in order to have a go at other clubs. The club acted swiftly and decisively, and I'm sure those who were responsible will be chastened by the experience.

It will still be used as a stick to beat us with in future. Such is life.