Post Match: Hull City 3-1 Liverpool

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Sterling, Moses and our defense were pretty poor as well... but they aren't consistently poor to the level our midfield is.

Hatch Lover

When I saw the line up and Sterling... oh man.. why????
He can't play in Liverpool, I've never seen a good game of Raheem, he is just bad, Aspas is not the best but is twice better than Sterling. How many months will we wait till we realize this guy just can't play in a Premier League top team?
Also BR took 70 minutes to realize we were playing like s---? 70 minutes!! He could just put Coutinho to start the second half and maybe we could win the game...

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Bring back 5-3-2. We seem to easily lose shape playing 4-4-2 especially when harassed and our passing game goes to naught. At least with 5-3-2 our back line has shape and is tight, and service to top 2 is better.

nzkop1te

making lemonade out of a lemon
average, piss poor, gutless, uninterested effort. There was just nothing there, could not for the life of me see where we where going to get a goal from except from set pieces. we were so flat in the final 3rd, it just got so frustrating when no one did anything decent off the ball. Our depth is very thin and the loss of Sturridge proves we're in deep shit.
I would not have thought we'd go there and lose 3-1, but with that so called effort one can see how that''s possible.

blndcat

TIA Youth Team
I'm not sure about the whole CB debate, I think the blame is misplaced. Sktel was unlucky for the first, the third maybe was partly his fault but by then the game was already gone. The second was a team effort in incompetence, it was like one of the Everton goals where it is building up and pinging about and you knew it was going to go in eventually, all due to the whole team not being sharp enough, or composed enough.

The real culprits as I saw it, were the wide men, Sterling and Moses. I don't want to slate Sterling, he's a kid etc but still they were both ineffective. They provided no danger, no threat. So in the first half with all the posession we were toothless. As the game wore on, I think the Hull players sensed that.

We didn't play well as a team, defence, midfield, attack but the one thing that would have made the difference was having an attacking threat. Attack is the best form of defence :)

Coutinho was not totally fit, Aspas too. Alberto didn't do anything of note when he came on. Does the squad need strengthening? Most likely.

A True Red From NZ

As far as I'm concerned we didn't do enough with our possession in the first hour or so. And from then on we were even worse.
I liked Sterling's effort out there today (seemed as if him, Henderson and Flanagan were the only ones who cared out there) but there was something missing from our wide players in general. While his effort was admirable, both him and Moses did not start high enough up the pitch.
Both players are very ineffective in the deeper areas, they need space to run into and fair play to Hull for keeping them quiet.
Because of the lack of threat from the wider areas, this had a similar ongoing effect for the rest of the squad.

Henderson at attacking mid seems to excel there when there is plenty of space or counter-attacking opportunities, didn't get that chance today and largely had an average game despite the endless energy he provided, and winning the free kick for the goal.

Really unconvinced by both centre backs. They appear to play outstandingly for most of the game but then lose concentration (Toure especially) and it ends up costing us goals.
I've spoken many times about how with Agger in the side we tend to ship a lot less goals, I think we need his calming influence and I for one would love to see him played alongside Sakho in the near future.
Cut the changing of the backline.

All in all, a lack of effort from the squad today and they should be appalled. The one's that did put in the required effort though didn't put in the performance with the ball unfortunately.
Could see this type of game coming a mile off. Shake up the squad, Brendan!

Defuz

Haven't read this thread or contributed here recently, but did watch today's (painful) game. From what my (admitted uneducated) eyes could see...

* Are we shuffling our defensive players and starters a little too much? Seems like they aren't playing too cohesively back there of late. Give me consistency where they can get used to knowing who's where, and who's supposed to be doing what. They seem a half step off and often too slow at clearing, as if they're not sure of how to play together. Please, get a rotation and stick with it!

* Sterling has a lot of potential - which means he hasn't done it yet. Exciting and promising, but not very fulfilling to me. Please loan him out so he can gain consistent experience and grow, then bring him back.

* Love Hendo's midfield hustle and his ability to win challenges, and gain or keep the ball to further our possession....... but .....his service of the ball is rudimentary at best and around the opposition's box I cringe every time the ball goes to him as he can't do anything with it or time a run to get on the end of anything and get a good touch.

* Alberto should be named the black hole as I see nothing coming out of him

* Iago who?

* Transfer window priority 1 and 2 - top level dominant play making midfielder and a forward not named Borini.

Horrible step backwards today. Went from what looked like a top team early on to a mismatched group who are searching for an identity and style.

Urban Achiever

The players + comments for yesterdays game:

MIgnolet - alright... seemed a bit shaky at times.

Johnson - scandalous performance.... seems unfocused.

Skrtl - some alright actions, but also more and more shaky as the game goes on... costs us goals 1 and 3 and always succeeds in tackling his teammates instead of winning air-duels.... which he did with Kolo for goal 2. A Skrtl-classic!

Kolo - shaky, all over the place but still decent and with a great attitude.

Flanno - did alright without being extraordinary..... probably could have made the Hull team. By far one of our best which tells you a whole lot!

Henderson - he runs a lot and that's great.... but that's just not enough in the best league in the world. Cannot carry anyone.

Lucas - gives away a million freekicks.. as always.... and is at best alright.... but never puts in a full shift without fuck ups. Usual performance of just getting by.

Gerrard - great goal.... and apart from that he's either not strong enough to carry the rest... or they're not strong enough to carry him... no matter what it is it's not working.

Moses - Pointless.... we could have had anyone playing instead of him and it wouldn't have mattered. Ridiculous effort that probably will define where the rest of his career will take place. Not close to being good enough for the top 4.

Sterling - He runs fast which is alright.... just couldn't dribble past a man even if he was on his way to avoid going to court... so, it rarely comes to any use... bar the few times he's made a counterattack goal. Young.... but so what?... not good enough now and we need him now.

Suarez - lousy game.... still world class and without him we would be lucky to stay in top 8.

Rodgers - I'm a fan and I really like this guy so it hurts me to have to say I'm beginning to doubt him. He needs to play the quality in the squad... which means Agger and Sakho plays! He needs to figure out how to influence a game DURING a game... which he very rarely does. He needs to hire a coach who can help with defending set pieces.... unless he want Pascoes defensive flop-tactics pull him down with them. I am very concerned about the lack of system in the way we play. He seems to have completely abandoned his concept and is now playing a "none-system" evolving around giving the ball to Suarez or Gerrard and hoping for the best.

Look at this and tell me we wouldn't have been extremely lucky to even come away with a draw!

The way I see it the following players have the quality needed to be starters for LFC:
Mignolet
Agger
Sakho
Gerrard (But only with a midfield of way better players)
Coutinho
Sturridge
Suarez
- That's it!
The rest of the squad are alright, sometimes great, but just not good enough to be trusted consistently in a top EPL side.
That's the truth in my eyes and I believe the effort on the pitch clearly showes this.
The above mentioned 7 players are the real quality, but even they are not at all the best in the league.... and they're not even playing half the time! Without them we are nowhere... and even with them we still need 4 more quality players to have 11 great starters.
This is how big the challenge is in my eyes.

I'm not talking about sacking Rodgers... actually I haven't seen anyone saying that in this thread??.....and there are still loads of potential in our team.... but you are very, very naive if you think that what we are seeing shouldn't be adressed. We could have conceeded 5 goals easily yesterday... while producing 2 open-play-chances ourselves. We could have conceeded 8 against Everton..... if your alarmbells aren't ringing, despite our alright place in the table... I think you need to rewatch the games. The points are great... sure... but sooner or later luck runs out and the guys scoring gets injured... WAIT that already happened... so, now we're down to 6 top players in the squad and 50% less of a goal threat until january. GREAT!

Our midfield suck and it is being outplayed and outmuscled against almost all teams this season. Rodgers is not playing his own transfers and without the brilliance of Suarez and Sturridge we would be nowhere.

Just. Not. Good. Enough!

grooveshark

Banned Users
Watching the first half, i thought Hull were awful, playing three at the back, zero support play upfront and they just couldnt string four or five passes together.

I honestly saw a team that could crumble had they gone behind.

These are teams that you look to punish early, but they grew stronger as the game progressed especially in the second half. The team had no creativity, and once hull noticed that they zeroed in on Suarez.

Chopping and changing at the back, formation constantly changing dependent on who is available, top teams dont do that.

It is almost as if they trained to go 4-2-2-2 and once Sturridge got injured on Friday there was a complete change, an overhaul of what they had practiced the whole week. No philosophy, no identity is likely to be achieved with changes to personel and formation.

Someone on social media said that there is absolutely no difference in this team to what has been there the past three or 4 seasons. It is the same dependence on three or four players to carry the weight of the team, and this season that has been Suarez, Sturridge and Mignolet.

How do you sustain a top 4 push with that? Everyone needs to carry their weight.

Midfield is an issue, no Coutinho generally means almost no creativity, and as a unit they havent been compact enough to protect the defence. We all complain about a DM or a CM, but without a determined defensive scheme they will be party to the same flaws that currently haunt the team.

On pre match threads, people almost always predict wins, I tend to be more cautious. You dont get to the top 4 by ghosting through so many games before you get found out.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The recipe to beat us is to rush our players, harried them when in possession and close them down in numbers. Pin them back and the rest will sort it out by itself. So far teams that do that enjoyed some fruits of their labour, be it a point or all 3. Southampton did that to us, we ran out of breath after 30 minutes. Everton did that to us, only for us to bring on hot streak Sturridge to restore some form of pride in the scoreline. Arsenal did the same to us and won the game. Swansea did that too and if it wasn't for a brilliant display of Shelvey for us, we could possibly be another game lost. And now Hull.

The simplest way of beat a team like ours.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
For me the blame lies on the team here more than on BR. Yes he makes the teal selection, but the arguments over why Skrtel was picked over Agger or Sakho etc are not a big deal - All four of our CB's should be able to defend against an outfil like Hull.

BR went with a tried and tested formation. Had to rest Coutinho.

The team just didn't turn up yesterday, and Hull did. It was the usual Liverpool performance. Too arrogant, and it resulted in a terrible display and zero points. We now really need an extra away win at one of Chelsea, City or Arsenal this month to make up for that.

I really hope BR went for the hair dryer treatment on them. People are also complaining about the subs, but again the team out there was not good enough.

Moses - not impressed.
Flanno put in a good shift again.

Norwich at home - expect to see a couple of changes in there for that. Suarez loves a goal against Norwich so maybe its the right time to play them and try to get back to winning ways.

BR is still the right man imo. The team spirit was not there yesterday.

shootscore

You don't win games just by turning up. And fair dues to Hull, they played well as a unit. If Moses had scored round the 70th it could've been a different outcome. That turned out to be a defining moment.
I expect a much improved performance on Wednesday, as we all do.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
weak line up, in a weak formation. Can we please get the 3-5-2 back, could have put moses on top with Suarez with a better outcome I reckon. And why do Rodgers continue to leave Agger out?? Skrtel need to get back on the bench asap, why he's treated as out best CB all of a sudden goes beyond me.
And then the easy one, midfield weak and with zero flair. Why do we set our midfield up in such manner? we are setting ourself up to chase the ball not outplay the opponent. cowardly. Without having two men up front to compensate we are looking piss poor, This is surely not the way to go if we wanna end in top4 thats for sure. Weak weak weak.

CSR1984

TIA Youth Team
I can't blame Rogers for the tactics, I just thought the players were shit. Moses and and Sterling had their chance, didn't take it. Our midfield kept making sloppy passes and the midfield continues to be an issue. Suarez kept rushing his passes and giving it away. I know Joe Allen was public enemy number one last week, but I would have started him to give him chance to redeem himself. Plus 2 of Hulls goal were flukey as f**k.

rab

HarryFloyd said:
Tottenham lost to Manchester City, we lost to Hull bleeding City- big difference.
They also managed to lose to West Ham. 0-3. At home.

Comparing what we do against a certain team to what another side does against that same team is a pointless process. Each game should be taken on it's own merits as when you start to compare our results against certain teams to other sides results against certain teams you'll find everyone is dropping points in games they shouldn't. For example Arsenal lost at home to Villa. City lost to Cardiff and Sunderland. Southampton lost at Norwich and United lost to us and apparently, after yesterdays result, some people think that we're a shit team too.

We need to just focus on our own games and results.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
HarryFloyd said:
Tottenham lost to Manchester City, we lost to Hull bleeding City- big difference.
There is no shame losing to City. But losing 6-0 to anyone is quite an appalling result, especially if you've been tipped as title contenders.

HarryFloyd said:
Our league position at the beginning of the season seemed to have lulled many supporters into thinking that we have turned a corner and are now in the big league. As others have pointed out, we have failed to beat any of the top teams except United at home and we are going to face City twice, Chelsea twice, Spurs twice, Arsenal, Everton and United once.
Only the stupid ones. Check out the 'title contenders' thread - nobody seems in any illusion that a title push would be a pipe dream this season.

It's fine to point out that we've been in a false position this this season due to the nature of the fixture list (I think that's a bit harsh myself). But it's got to go both ways - when we were stuck in the bottom half of the table this time last year following a really cruel set of opening fixtures sympathy and understanding were in very short supply round here. If the league table can distort in one direction, then it can distort in the other. The inescapable conclusion that I take from this is that people just like to have a fucking moan.

gb1986

Decided not to dwell on this result too much, last night i dreamt we beat Chelsea 12-0. That's the only time i've ever had a football related dream. Must be a prophecy, you heard it here first!

Red Tiger

#Champions League - if only the season could end NOW. :D

I can see the current top 3 being the final top 3 (maybe not in the same order).

So we are left to battle for 4th with United, Spurs, Everton, Newcastle & Soton. Wow. Ofcourse Newcastle & Soton would eventually (hopefully) wither away but that's still a humungous battle to be in. I am not so sure we are equipped for that for another 6 months.

#Nervous

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I had to record the last hour of the match yesterday and avoided coming on here till after i'd seen the game. After reading the first page on here though i decided to leave it and skipped to the end so if any of this has been mentioned before i apolgise. For me the biggest problem in the game was we lacked any desire to win. Our players didn't seem bothered to press and we were happy to go backwards as they advanced and let them get near our box which is just such a mistake with our defensive record.

I'm not going to pick on players but throughout that game every single time they had a free kick anywhere in our half i was worried they may score. With a CB setup where we can call on Sakho, Toure, Skrtel or Agger why the hell should i have to worry about set pieces so much? I did notice that Skrtel and Toure yesterday went for the same so many teams and often got in each others way, for this reason i just want BR to pick 1 LCB and 1 RCB and stick with them as much as possible but even with injuries play the obvious replacement, Sakho for Agger, Toure for Skrtel or the other way around.

Attacking wise we were non existent. If it wasn't for our set pieces i just don't feel confident in our ability to score. Cou doesn't seem half the player of last season (and i'm not just talking about this 1 game), while Suarez seems better when he has a partner. I've been drooling thinking about Cou behind SAS but injuries aren't going our way for that to happen. With this in mind we need another goal scorer, personally would give Aspas time there for the next few games.

GJ has been having a few bad games but think he can turn it around while Flanno plays well defensively but offers absolutely nothing in an attacking sense. I think we need to try someone who has played there before. Usually that would be Cissokho but for me i think its time to bring Ilori in, he'll still be here next year and i have no doubt Cissokho won't be. Time to bleed in the people we paid money on, that includes Ilori, Sakho, Alberto and yes, even Aspas.

My last point, I love Lucas but knowing how badly we defend set pieces he's going to have to learn to not jump in and give fouls. Just press the player back or something because while him giving fouls away a few years ago wasn't too much of a problem because we could defend them things are different now. Oh yeah, Sterling and Moses, Moses can go back if he's just going to use as much energy in a game that i use playing FIFA and Sterling needs a loan to get some playing time, he's stagnating much like Coates did. The players i haven't mentioned just don't deserve a mention, they did nothing great and nothing too bad.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Urban Achiever said:
Lucas - gives away a million freekicks.. as always.... and is at best alright.... but never puts in a full shift without fuck ups. Usual performance of just getting by.

Our midfield suck and it is being outplayed and outmuscled against almost all teams this season. Rodgers is not playing his own transfers and without the brilliance of Suarez and Sturridge we would be nowhere.
TWO freekicks the whole game............but don't let the facts get in the way of your ridiculous opinions.

Anyone ragging on our midfield needs to have a good hard look at their agenda. The whole team were terrible, all 11 players, not a single one of them looked like they were proud to be wearing our shirt. Not a single one of them fought for it.

MOTM was the kit man, the only person who did his job correctly.

Urban Achiever

zagueiro said:
TWO freekicks the whole game............but don't let the facts get in the way of your ridiculous opinions.

Anyone ragging on our midfield needs to have a good hard look at their agenda. The whole team were terrible, all 11 players, not a single one of them looked like they were proud to be wearing our shirt. Not a single one of them fought for it.

MOTM was the kit man, the only person who did his job correctly.
Ok, so my opinions are "ridiculous" - but you then go on to write off the entire team because they're not "proud to wear our shirt"?

You didn't really believe that I meant he gave away a million freekicks did you?
My fault for thinkin' he gave away 5 when it was only two, but I of course exagerated... I appologize.... especially to you, who then yourself slag off the entire team... because they're not proud to wear the jersey. If only they we're proud to wear the jersey we would win and our midfield would be top 4, right. Someone quickly get zagu's memo to Brendan before wednesday and we'll win. Proud to wear the jersey... why didn't we think of that instead of givin' away possesion and defending like chipmunks.

I think it's pretty clear who's ridiculous here.

And "anyone ragging on our midfield"... and "agenda".... are you blind? I gave a brutal beating to the entire team and have absolutely no agenda against our midfield which I would obviously love to be a succes. But unlike you I don't pretend that our players are better than they are and even though I actually like Lucas... which you also seem to do very much.... I am not blind to the fact that he is rarely above average and gives away A MILLION stupid freekicks away in dangerous areas almost every match. A lot of players are not better than him.... but that doesn't make him good enough!

Don't let a bit of football knowledge and visibility get in the way of your own genius observations and remember whenever you don't like the truth just keep telling yourself that all critics are not real fans and they're just out with and "agenda" to ruin the team.

blanket

TIA Youth Team
not sure who's gonna kill me for my opinion, but i think skrtel is kinda unlucky and innocent yesterday
well, at least he got in the way of the ball to try to block it, just that the way the ball went off him is very harsh

Urban Achiever

blanket said:
not sure who's gonna kill me for my opinion, but i think skrtel is kinda unlucky and innocent yesterday
well, at least he got in the way of the ball to try to block it, just that the way the ball went off him is very harsh
You are right that he just as well could have hit the ball a little lower on his leg and then it wouldn't have gone in..... the problem, in my view, is that the Hull player shouldn't be able to get a shot in from there in the first place. These are very good players and MS should know not to back up and allow this to even be a possibility. had he gone forward one/two second(s) earlier the player doesn't finish from there. It IS very harsh to blame him... but then again we canoot keep calling it bad luck when it happens to us.... but we are not able to do the same in the other end. Maybe one of the midfielders did'nt do his job, but it's very basic that you just cannot allow opposition to get a shot in from that distance..... yesterday we saw why standing in the way is not good enough... you need to press up/forward as a defender.

We need to expect more... every single time..... there really are no easy games and therefore no easy situations on the field. Every second just has to count!

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Urban Achiever said:
Ok, so my opinions are "ridiculous" - but you then go on to write off the entire team because they're not "proud to wear our shirt"?

You didn't really believe that I meant he gave away a million freekicks did you?
My fault for thinkin' he gave away 5 when it was only two, but I of course exagerated... I appologize.... especially to you, who then yourself slag off the entire team... because they're not proud to wear the jersey. If only they we're proud to wear the jersey we would win and our midfield would be top 4, right. Someone quickly get zagu's memo to Brendan before wednesday and we'll win. Proud to wear the jersey... why didn't we think of that instead of givin' away possesion and defending like chipmunks.

I think it's pretty clear who's ridiculous here.

And "anyone ragging on our midfield"... and "agenda".... are you blind? I gave a brutal beating to the entire team and have absolutely no agenda against our midfield which I would obviously love to be a succes. But unlike you I don't pretend that our players are better than they are and even though I actually like Lucas... which you also seem to do very much.... I am not blind to the fact that he is rarely above average and gives away A MILLION stupid freekicks away in dangerous areas almost every match. A lot of players are not better than him.... but that doesn't make him good enough!

Don't let a bit of football knowledge and visibility get in the way of your own genius observations and remember whenever you don't like the truth just keep telling yourself that all critics are not real fans and they're just out with and "agenda" to ruin the team.
That's the post of someone lashing out a bit too much. Don't you think you're being OTT and defensive?

And a gentle reminder to everyone to keep it civil and respectful please.

Urban Achiever

Mascot88 said:
That's the post of someone lashing out a bit too much. Don't you think you're being OTT and defensive?

And a gentle reminder to everyone to keep it civil and respectful please.
Maybe.... and maybe Zagueiro writing "....your ridiculous opinions" about my post is way outta line.
I honestly think it's a pretty provocative thing to write to someone who has not attacked you or anyone else in a personal matter, but I respect and agree with your reminder to keep it civil.

I just find it offending when someone call my opinions ridiculous.... and I therefore point the finger at his posts obvious double standards.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Urban Achiever said:
Maybe.... and maybe Zagueiro writing "....your ridiculous opinions" about my post is way outta line.
I honestly think it's a pretty provocative thing to write to someone who has not attacked you or anyone else in a personal matter, but I respect and agree with your reminder to keep it civil.

I just find it offending when someone call my opinions ridiculous.... and I therefore point the finger at his posts obvious double standards.
It might be a little provocative, but you're putting your opinion here to be disagreed with, objected to and yes even ridiculed. There is a world of difference between calling your opinion stupid, and calling you stupid.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
blanket said:
this shit has happened twice in the PL already...the cabaye shot and now this..i am kinda wondering, why did he even bother going for a half hearted challenge like that...it's either he close the player down higher up instead of leaving himself in no-man's land or he just stay in his position with his eyes open to see where the ball is going...

rab

blanket said:
To be honest I'd say Skrtel was culpable to some degree on all three goals. The first he should have closed the player down instead of backing off and letting him shoot. On the second he gets in Toure's way and fails to clear the ball and on the third one he heads a rather innocuous shot into his own net having let Alonko drift into the box from out wide without offering any resistance.

He just isn't very good in the air or with players running at him. Highlighted again last week by failing to win the first ball into the box when up against Barkley for Everton's opener. He's also terribly easy to unbalance, the slightest feint and he's eager to dive in. For their last goal Alonko does him twice in quick succession with dummies a schoolboy wouldn't fall for. He also lets Alonko pick the ball up five yards wide of the box and meander in to level with the six yard box line before falling for both dummies and then nodding it past Mignolet.

I know no player excelled themselves during that game and each one is accountable for the goals we concede but the number that come from direct mistakes by Skrtel is tough to ignore. He needs benching and we need to find our best pairing and let them establish themselves as a unit we can build the team on.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
rab said:
To be honest I'd say Skrtel was culpable to some degree on all three goals. The first he should have closed the player down instead of backing off and letting him shoot. On the second he gets in Toure's way and fails to clear the ball and on the third one he heads a rather innocuous shot into his own net having let Alonko drift into the box from out wide without offering any resistance.

He just isn't very good in the air or with players running at him. Highlighted again last week by failing to win the first ball into the box when up against Barkley for Everton's opener. He's also terribly easy to unbalance, the slightest feint and he's eager to dive in. For their last goal Alonko does him twice in quick succession with dummies a schoolboy wouldn't fall for. He also lets Alonko pick the ball up five yards wide of the box and meander in to level with the six yard box line before falling for both dummies and then nodding it past Mignolet.

I know no player excelled themselves during that game and each one is accountable for the goals we concede but the number that come from direct mistakes by Skrtel is tough to ignore. He needs benching and we need to find our best pairing and let them establish themselves as a unit we can build the team on.
The third one was ludicrous. He just shouldn't be putting his head on a ball in that situation unless he's sure he'll get it clear. It was going well wide. Terrible error.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
It's strange Rodgers holds on to skrtel game after game, when he couldn't be bothered with him for the whole season prior. I just want to see agger back ASAP.