Post Match: Hull City 3-1 Liverpool

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
The recipe to beat us is to rush our players, harried them when in possession and close them down in numbers. Pin them back and the rest will sort it out by itself. So far teams that do that enjoyed some fruits of their labour, be it a point or all 3. Southampton did that to us, we ran out of breath after 30 minutes. Everton did that to us, only for us to bring on hot streak Sturridge to restore some form of pride in the scoreline. Arsenal did the same to us and won the game. Swansea did that too and if it wasn't for a brilliant display of Shelvey for us, we could possibly be another game lost. And now Hull.

The simplest way of beat a team like ours.
Its simple. Any team with pace, willing runners or a physical presence up front and we are dead meat. A lot of that comes from our geriatric midfield where Lucas and Gerrard are snails. We have no pace in our side bar Sturridge either for that matter.

Urban Achiever

Mascot88 said:
It might be a little provocative, but you're putting your opinion here to be disagreed with, objected to and yes even ridiculed. There is a world of difference between calling your opinion stupid, and calling you stupid.
ok so what was the problem with my original reply in the first place again?
It's ok for him to ridicule me (or my opinion as you say) but i cannot reply and point out the obvious flaws in his point with the fire a provocative post asks for.

As Said before I fully support a civil tone but I dont understand your need to defend him.... He's Big enough to ridicule me so he should
be big enough to take some ridiculing back... Especially since i dont see you defending me.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
T.C.B said:
Its simple. Any team with pace, willing runners or a physical presence up front and we are dead meat. A lot of that comes from our geriatric midfield where Lucas and Gerrard are snails. We have no pace in our side bar Sturridge either for that matter.
if you look deeper, our midfield is essentially a one man midfield....actually, for this period, we need someone more athletic than lucas and i suspect the problem may be solved. Henderson must be taught how to press effectively and learn how to be box to box player. Gerrard must also be told to be the more advanced of the midfielders, meaning press the opponent but stay higher up the pitch and while he can't make those lung busting runs anymore, at least try to link up with coutinho and suarez with those short one -twos while sturridge is out.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Urban Achiever said:
ok so what was the problem with my original reply in the first place again?
It's ok for him to ridicule me (or my opinion as you say) but i cannot reply and point out the obvious flaws in his point with the fire a provocative post asks for.
As Said before I fully support a civil tone but I dont understand your need to defend him.... He's Big enough to ridicule me so he should
be big enough to take some ridiculing back... Especially since i dont see you defending me.
OK

Urban Achiever said:
Ok, so my opinions are "ridiculous" - but you then go on to write off the entire team because they're not "proud to wear our shirt"?

You didn't really believe that I meant he gave away a million freekicks did you?
My fault for thinkin' he gave away 5 when it was only two, but I of course exagerated... I appologize.... especially to you, who then yourself slag off the entire team... because they're not proud to wear the jersey. If only they we're proud to wear the jersey we would win and our midfield would be top 4, right. Someone quickly get zagu's memo to Brendan before wednesday and we'll win. Proud to wear the jersey... why didn't we think of that instead of givin' away possesion and defending like chipmunks.

I think it's pretty clear who's ridiculous here.

And "anyone ragging on our midfield"... and "agenda".... are you blind? I gave a brutal beating to the entire team and have absolutely no agenda against our midfield which I would obviously love to be a succes. But unlike you I don't pretend that our players are better than they are and even though I actually like Lucas... which you also seem to do very much.... I am not blind to the fact that he is rarely above average and gives away A MILLION stupid freekicks away in dangerous areas almost every match. A lot of players are not better than him.... but that doesn't make him good enough!

Don't let a bit of football knowledge and visibility get in the way of your own genius observations and remember whenever you don't like the truth just keep telling yourself that all critics are not real fans and they're just out with and "agenda" to ruin the team.
I've bolded a few for you to have a think about. I've no problem with you having a go at his opinion all you like, but watch out for straying into making personal insults. You can call his opinion stupid all you want (although it does get rather tedious)

Dodgy

TIA Youth Team
I realize we are all disappointed by losing to a mid-table club (especially one managed by that fat-headed Manc Bruce. Do you think he named his bloody son after Old Fungus?)
But the truth is that it was one game. We will bounce back. Arsenal, Chelsea and Citeh have all lost to lower table clubs this season too and no one is counting them out yet.

We were without our joint top-scorer, and without our creative playmaker for the first hour.
THEY SCORED ON A DEFLECTED SHOT AND AN OG! That doesn't excuse the Meyler goal but the other two goals were dodgy and not down to our lack of defensive quality or Hull's superior shooting or desire. They got lucky. End. Of. Sakho or Agger could have had the same thing happen to them. It's not a reflection of the defender's quality as a player when a ball hits off the back of their leg or their attempt to clear ends up in the net. It happens.

Yes Moses should have scored. But that's becoming a theme for him innit? He's not exactly the bravest player. But that's hardly BR's fault. Nor are the two goals I mentioned above. If you want to play late into the season you need to have a large and competitive squad. At the moment we don't as the Sturridge injury shows. But on the other hand, how many 'star' players like Sturridge are going to want to sit on the bench and wait their turn? Only young players will do that and only because they have no other choice.
A decisive win on Wednesday and this become the hiccup that it really is.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Might get an infraction for this but...I do enjoy this gif - not enough players on our team seemed to care that much this week in addition, this is what I'd like to do to those posters who only turn up to moan...

Bobbinho

A horrible game to have to witness, bitterly disappointed with certain players (again..) felt that Suarez was absolutely woeful esp in the first half where he fucked up just about everything that came his way, from the sublime to the amateurish all in the space of a week, way too inconsistent & whilst we can pull apart BR tactically...i think there isn't an awful lot he could have done when a supposed top 3 in the world striker plays as poorly as he did....

Suffice to say little or no link up play in the final third, at least with Sturridge playing you get the impression that something could happen, once again we allowed too much pressure be put on us by sheer lack of attacking possession, without Gerrard's equalizer this game would have slipped away from us earlier than it did, normally we reserve our worst performances for the second half but yesterday we outdid ourselves, allowed Hull an early foot hold in the game & continued in that vein pretty much throughout, terrible team performance overall, granted a couple of freak goals didn't help but you could almost see them coming from allowing too much pressure.

Midfield, once again, questionable, defence, once again questionable, same culprits, same outcome, why is anyone even surprised, disappointment yes definitely, shocked, no, sadly things will probably have to get worse before they can get better.

As for BR, im on the fence, would normally try to defend him more or find something positive about what he's doing, but tbh yesterday left me feeling like i wasn't sure whether he actually knows what he needs to do to improve our performances consistently, who to play etc, or worse whether its even possible for him to turn things around with what he has at his disposal in terms of options..

Sturridge out is a real blow for the team, obviously, but also for BR who doesn't exactly have a plethora of quality players to bring in, it's going to be a long & difficult season, not looking forward to the games this month at all, i have a feeling that the pressure is going to start building on BR, was looking forward to jan but after that game im more worried about what kind of state we might be in by the time we get there.

Hard to feel too optimistic after a game like that, might just be a bit of a blip & perhaps a good performance/result against Norwich might help lift the mood, but frankly it seems there are issue's that havn't been addressed, players with a weak mentality & manager who seems to want to pick those players week in week out, hardly surprising that we lost yesterday, reality check is Everton doing at the weekend what we should have done to Hull.

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
LOOK!! OVER THERE!!

A LIFE!!

Relax guys. It's just a game.

Urban Achiever

Mascot88 said:
OK

I've bolded a few for you to have a think about. I've no problem with you having a go at his opinion all you like, but watch out for straying into making personal insults. You can call his opinion stupid all you want (although it does get rather tedious)
I think your use of the term opinion as something one can seperate from ones person is highly problematic, as I consider an opinion (as ever changing that is) to be part of ones personality and fail to see how it is reasonable to distinguish a line between what people mean and what they believe as facts.... I also question the apparent difference in allowed use of ridcule towards somethings, someones and not others..... but as stated earlier I aknowledge your point about being civil, which I will for my part try to live up to.

sunburst

TIA Youth Team
It's one game, the whole team was poor on the day, but it's done. It's how we come back from embarrassing ourselves like we did that matters. Our mentality has been spot on all season, and why it went to shit all of a sudden, only the team can tell us.

I am confident they'll brush themselves off and this month we can make a great statement of intent when we enter the second half of the season

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I think people who say it's just one game, only one loss, and that we're overreacting don't really appreciate just how difficult it is to make top 4, let alone a title. One game can be all the difference and three points is huge.

The title requires damn near perfection, and top 4 requires just a little less. One goal cost Man united the title a few years ago. One disallowed goal cost us the title in 09. One game cost Man City top 4 their second season of big spending.

The it's just one game mentality is a bit naive.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Never Say Never said:
I think people who say it's just one game, only one loss, and that we're overreacting don't really appreciate just how difficult it is to make top 4, let alone a title. One game can be all the difference and three points is huge.

The title requires damn near perfection, and top 4 requires just a little less. One goal cost Man united the title a few years ago. One disallowed goal cost us the title in 09. One game cost Man City top 4 their second season of big spending.

That is the reason why I am a little upset to hear Rodger's comments after the game. He seems to want us to not dwell on the negatives too much and just move on quickly. I think it's all a bit naive. We played dismally against a side that has one of the worst scoring records in the league and yet we managed to allow 3 goals in. Lucky goals, fair enough. But still 3 goals. There was never a real response from the players or the manager on that day. And that is just piss poor. I hope Rodgers realizes that this isn't just one of those off-days in the office like his comments suggest. If we want to make the Top 4, this season more than ever, it will be down to getting all the little things right and taking as many points as possible when playing against the weaker sides. This was a game we needed to win and we failed to do that and now all of our rivals have gained ground on us. The games against the top opposition is too hard to predict or even prepare for.

Redragbull

Can anyone tell me why we employ a ninth choice Chelsea misfit midfielder? Why was he selected to play on Sunday? I'm a glutton for punishment, but I watched the Newcastle game five times to try to understand where it all went wrong that day. One thing that was glaringly obvious during that game was the absolute disdain shown to Moses by our three star players. On three separate occasions while playing in the number 10 role, he failed to see the required through ball and Saurez, Sturridge and Gerrard each gave him the evil eye. When he was moved over and Alberto came on, Gerrard suddenly developed a spring in his step, his whole demeanour changed, almost to say "about time, I can at least play with this guy". That's how it appeared to me.
Back to this game, With Moses and Sterling known to be poor creators, Coutinho missing through injury, its not surprising that the display was flat. We only had one creative player on the pitch and he was too far away from Suarez to make a difference.
Its no excuse, but its understandable when star players have to put up with dross in the same arena.

sunburst

TIA Youth Team
Never Say Never said:

The it's just one game mentality is a bit naiv
Sorry, but I do find that more than a tad patronising, but I'm not gonna get into an argument... The point is it's done, it happened, we can't reset the season, and we are far from done for, so get out there and learn from it and fight til the end.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
brightonpete said:
Can you fuck off with this shit.thats two games running you've used that line,if its just a game go back to bitching about england in the pitchside football forum.
There's a huge irony in anyone entering an online football forum to tell people to get a life.

spizfromoz

Last season, the Stoke, Aston Villa, Southampton and WBA losses all felt like this to me. Seen in perspective, let's just hope this is our one and only real fuck up and things might be a lot better. We got out of jail earlier in the season with games we won where we might have lost last season. So on balance, things look better.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
spizfromoz said:
Last season, the Stoke, Aston Villa, Southampton and WBA losses all felt like this to me. Seen in perspective, let's just hope this is our one and only real fuck up and things might be a lot better. We got out of jail earlier in the season with games we won where we might have lost last season. So on balance, things look better.
The thing that all those games, and the one at Hull, have in common is that we thought they were points in the bag.

We've been guilty of this as fans - hitting a run of very winnable games and treating them as done and dusted before a ball have been kicked. It's a character of the team that they do exactly the same thing, from the performance on Sunday it seemed that most of the team had their minds elsewhere. That is a mentality problem that needs stamping out.

I've no problem with this team dropping points against teams who we are expected to struggle against. But we've got to remember to do the job in the easy games. There is no point being flat track bullies if we forget to do the flat track bullying.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Never Say Never said:

Right on the money, this.
Every time we drop points it is more leeway we have to make up, partly by relying on others dropping points.
You can't rely on that in any league, you have to make your own running,right.
I'll never understand how it is OK to drop points and not worry about it, particularly in the EPL, especially in games you should have won.

What worries me most at the moment though, apart from this debacle is that a number of games we haven't played out 90 mins, if that can't be dealt with we have likely got an issue.
In that light saying, basically,don't worry about the Hull game, seems naive.

Lucas

Mascot88 said:
There's a huge irony in anyone entering an online football forum to tell people to get a life.
Way to improve the self esteem of the posters there, Mascott :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

Joe90

Mascot88 said:
Well, not really. There's lots of fun to be had chatting about football. I love it, you love it, and we all support Liverpool.

But there's really going waaaaaaayyyyy overboard, as some are doing here, e.g. telling me to have sex and leave, because I don't share his supertanker-load of angst because the first team lost only their second game.

Analysing the crap out of every fart and whistle the players and manager do, as if they could just get to the root of the problem here online, it'd all be solved. As if by magic.

I'd wager that those who believe they have all the answers to the team's problems have;

1) never played professionally
2) never coached 5 year olds, let alone passed any high-level coaching course, worked professionally in the game, or developed players over a period of years (and thus realising how very difficult it is to work with REAL people)

yet they're experts. EXPERTS I SAY! Because you've got season tickets and watch all the games?

AND THAT is the TRUE irony.

Clive

Well, due to an horrific work schedule, I was in the unenviable position of watching this 36 hours later knowing the result and having read much of the thread prior to watching.

A few observations:

1) I think the level of strong reaction to the loss has been exaggerated by our generally overachieving start to the season. We were missing our leading goal scorer, first choice LB and our best playmaker was on the bench. We were due to drop points at some stage.
2) nevertheless the performance was hugely disappointing, simply no one performed to their level and it was a bit of a shambles to be honest.
3) individually Lucas, Gerrard and Hendo are great, I just don't think the combination works. We were just out enthused in midfield, and I think each players weakness is exposed with that combination of players. Lucas is limited in range of passing and vision, Gerrard is lacking dynamism and Hendo is lacking a final ball and shot. Playing as a three seems to expose, rather than mask, these deficiencies.
4) with the new injuries and the run of games, it's a massive test over the next few weeks for Rodgers to manage resources and squeeze out results.
5) god we needed a out and out striker there in the second half! I even wondered about Andy C at one stage!

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Joe90 said:
Well, not really. There's lots of fun to be had chatting about football. I love it, you love it, and we all support Liverpool.

But there's really going waaaaaaayyyyy overboard, as some are doing here, e.g. telling me to have sex and leave, because I don't share his supertanker-load of angst because the first team lost only their second game.

Analysing the crap out of every fart and whistle the players and manager do, as if they could just get to the root of the problem here online, it'd all be solved. As if by magic.

I'd wager that those who believe they have all the answers to the team's problems have;

2) never coached 5 year olds, let alone passed any high-level coaching course, worked professionally in the game, or developed players over a period of years (and thus realising how very difficult it is to work with REAL people)

yet they're experts. EXPERTS I SAY! Because you've got season tickets and watch all the games?

That's a mighty big assumption you've just lept to. Massive. Shows a certain amount of ignorance on your behalf, not theirs.

I think where it all goes tits up for you is you want to dictate to everyone else how try should go about reacting to a game of football, as if you hold the secret to the 'true way' to support and discuss football.

Me, I personally rather read an opinion I disagree with, than someone telling everyone how they should react.

But that's just me.

Joe90

redbj said:
I think where it all goes tits up for you is you want to dictate to everyone else how try should go about reacting to a game of football, as if you hold the secret to the 'true way' to support and discuss football.

Me, I personally rather read an opinion I disagree with, than someone telling everyone how they should react.

But that's just me.
But it's ok to dictate to me, right? And verbally abuse me when I don't agree, or break down in fits of rage or tears of anguish?

I have never asserted that I have the 'true way'. All I suggested was that a few could benefit from relaxing and enjoying what is, in the end, supposed to be a game.

Cmon the whole 'get a life' thing was just a joke. I admit it should have come with a smiley... :D

But I'm happy to read opinions of others. And disagree. And you can disagree with mine.

It'd be nice not be told to EFF off, that's all.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Joe90 said:

Don't need to be experts to see if yer team is playing crap, and in this game the summary of it is that we were plain crap. Never showed up and got punished. Nuff said.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Joe90 said:
But it's ok to dictate to me, right? And verbally abuse me when I don't agree, or break down in fits of rage or tears of anguish?

I have never asserted that I have the 'true way'. All I suggested was that a few could benefit from relaxing and enjoying what is, in the end, supposed to be a game.

Cmon the whole 'get a life' thing was just a joke. I admit it should have come with a smiley... :D

But I'm happy to read opinions of others. And disagree. And you can disagree with mine.

It'd be nice not be told to EFF off, that's all.
Well, EFF off then. Happy now?