• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: LFC 2-3 Udinese

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Gutted to lose, but we played some lovely stuff. A few moments where we lacked concentration has cost us dearly.

take it away guys

Nismo9

TIA Youth Team
Another performance in which we dominated for the majority and failed to clinch it. They say the mark of a good side is when you can still get a win when playing bad so what about a side that can't win while playing good?

Thought Downing had a good night though.

YNWA

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Carra, Borini and Assaidi were bad. Wilson must have zero future if Carra plays ahead of him. Looks loke Allen is going to go 90 minutes alot here.

juliannicholas

TIA Reserve Team
Defending and finishing poor but some good stuff in-between.

Gerrard again a bit of a liability.

OhYaBeauty

Well I can't say that I care too much about the result in the end. There will be four more chances to pick up points in this competition. We played okay, and considering the team we put out I'm not concerned with losing to an Udinese side that had quite a few first teamers in it.

Antonio Di Natale is such a dangerous man. I mentioned earlier that all it takes is a chance falling to him and we're in trouble. Unfortunately, I was proven right. He's like Van Persie, he just puts the ball away when he's got a half chance.

We had to know that Udinese would come at us when we were up 1-0 at the half. I'm surprised we didn't respond better and try to control the game. We knew they'd counterattack with numbers and for two of the goals, we just failed to contain the counter.

Good performance from Hendo, not sure why he got taken off ahead of Shelvey. I also would have pulled Downing instead of Assaidi, but I suppose that might be keeping the weekend in mind.

All in all, this could be a bad omen. Udinese sat back with most of their players behind the ball, much like a bottom half premier league team would, and we couldn't crack the nut. The only consolation is that this wasn't our first team.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Their 2 second half goals totally against the run of play fucked us. The equalizer was bad enough, but the OG is what fucked us, and then the second was a good goal though we should have defended better there too. Suarez's free kick was brilliant and Shelvey shoulda scored (or left Suarez's volley to go in!), Sterling's blocked shot seemed goal bound and fucking downing had to do better with that shot towards the end.

Upside - we keep creating boat loads of chances. Need to work so much harder on our defense.

But overall, it was another fairly promising performance. It's only the UEFA cup. It's entire purpose is a competitive mid-week training match. If you get to the final then it's worth caring about the competition itself. Till then, I'm pleased he squad players did well.

Shelvey looks a real prospect. He could be our Gerrard replacement over time. Suso didn't play tonight but he's def one to hang on to. Assaidi has potential but jury is still out. Overall, if we can stop leaking soft goals, there's still lots to be hopeful about with a young and creative team coming together.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
yeh it was annoying (again) but it's only a matter of time before we're turning that domination into 3 points, has to be. Qualification from the group isn't a sure thing, can't wait for the Anzhi game

ReRangles

It's frustrating we played very well, played some beautiful football. At the start of the game and at the start of the second half we took a while to get started, it was the slow start in the second half that cost us it. I don't think it is anyone players single fault that we lost, it was very much a team problem. Shelvey was awesome in the first half he looked like a quality player. I thought Coates was great but obviously the own goal wasn't great and i also think Downing played quite well.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Its very frustrating but I actually don't feel as frustrated as usual after a defeat, we played some really good stuff and I can see Brendans methods starting to take shape, stop the errors at the back and we might do well this season! Would love a clean sheet against Stoke at the weekend.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
21 attempts from LFC, 7 on goal, two goals.

7 attempts from Udinese, 3 attempts on goal, three goals. That says it all I think.

Whilst decent enough during the first half (good control of the game, and an ecellent goal from Shelvey), we simply were not good enough during that second half to beat this ultra-efficient Italian side, with a stellar Di Natale tonight.

Another thought: at 1-1, Gerrard and Suarez come in to win the game. At the end, it's 2-3. Mmm...

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Dissapointing not to have got something but we are going to struggle if we continue to leak goals. We played really well throughout and looked comfortable when we have the ball but as soon as we lose it and we are put under pressure you just feel the opposition will get a goal. Brendan needs to sort it!

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
The team that played no nonsense defense and good counter-attack won.

Remember how we used to do that in Europe?

European nights are known for getting results by watching the defense and having a clinical counter-attack.

But not anymore. We are known nowadays as a team with one of the worst home records. And we concede 2+ goals per game.

We concede because we are not able play safe football in the mid-field, and because our defense is so uncomfortable in delivering the expectation of accurate passing.

Now we are building a young squad that plays a different style. Some say, the only style that will lead us to winning the league again.

It's beatiful
It's in the making
It's a joy to watch
A revolution and an evolution all in one.

But it comes with a couple of disclaimers:

1. We don't know if it'll work
2. Sit tight for 2-3 years, as this will take a while to kick in, as far as results.

Oh well. Apart from 10-15 mins in the game we dominated play. However our inability to finish off our chances compared to Udinese (who scored 3 goals from 4 shots on target) again highlights our need for a clinical forward (someone like Di Natale). My main worry with dropping 3 points today is that we will most likely see more first team players featuring against Anzhi- something I wished to avoid.

In terms of Coates he messed up pretty bad for the OG but other than that I thought he had a good game.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Never mind. Plenty of group games left to play.

All eyes were on Downing, and he definitely had one of his better games - but he's still a huge weak link in the team. Nothing there to change my mind that he is finished in a red shirt.

Shelvey was really excellent. He's really thriving under Rodgers, and is still very young. Feel very sorry for Coates. He was rock solid and didn't deserve to concede an own goal, although it was a bad one. One of those you'd be saying was a brilliant header if it was at the other end.

Most encouraging thing was that after the early second half lapse in control we really worked hard looks for the winner. It looks like Rodgers is drilling a never give up attitude into the squad, the like of which I haven't seen since Rafa's heyday.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Cracking goals in this match...including Coates's header (if his shirt was black & white..haha)

I think the subs were what you'd expect, our 3 most threatening attacking players.

Personally, I just think we'll continue to be vulnerable on counters or when we give away the ball in our half as long as we don't have Lucas Leiva (or someone like him) available. There is only so much that Joe Allen can do, physically, though of course we were a lot more vulnerable to that with Gerrard vs Henderson.

Gave away the game, to an extent, but credit to the players for nearly equalizing at the end. If not for that OG, I think 2-2 would have been a fair scoreline. I don't think dominating possession is enough for claiming we deserved a win, though I was watching this streaming at the office so maybe I missed an important bit here or there.

Stephen Ireland did OK, but probably could have shown red in one instance but it's not one i'd dwell on.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Played some good stuff, first half in particular. When are we going to keep a clean sheet? Poor defending for all 3 goals. Johnson strolling for the first one. Good ball in for the second but should Coates be ducking under it at the last second maybe. Third one Stevie gives it away twice but a great finish. Just watching Brendans post match and he said we were " lazy " for 20 mins and lacked concentration.
Made a game of it after that and finished strongly. Downing did ok but needs more steel and end product. Henderson didnt look happy at being taken off either I thought.

ianrush

TIA Squad Member
3 mistakes- johnson, coates & stevie, led to 3 udinese goals. have to give credits to them. very clinical. :mellow:

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
All in all, this could be a bad omen. Udinese sat back with most of their players behind the ball, much like a bottom half premier league team would, and we couldn't crack the nut. The only consolation is that this wasn't our first team.
Well, FWIW, we will have the likes of Sahin and Suso available the rest of the season (knock on wood) so they should help us crack defenses open a bit. I think the inclusion of Downing gave us a bit of a different style than we'd normally see, though I will give him credit for generally having a very good game. 2 chances in particular, the give n go and then his shot at the end...could have really helped out his reputation.

Assaidi kindof faded 2nd half, not sure if that was due to fitness or not, so I don't really fault BR's substitutions. I think Downing was gonna get 90 as long as kept up all that work

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Henderson didnt look happy at being taken off either I thought.
And nor should he. He was playing really well, and it isn't like he's going to play at the weekend.

JackleCube

21 attempts from LFC, 7 on goal, two goals.

7 attempts from Udinese, 3 attempts on goal, three goals. That says it all I think.
This echoes what I said in the in-match thread, although it's hard to take, when you're only putting 1 of 3 chances on target, you don't deserve a whole lot; we need to be much more clinical than that.

ianrush

TIA Squad Member
1) hendo isn't sahin. :huh:
2) downie put in a good shift but he's simply not good enough. :wacko:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Decent performance, shame Di Natale is a class player.

juliannicholas

TIA Reserve Team
We really really need a decent striker. Not scoring some of those chances is costing us big time

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Henderson didnt look happy at being taken off either I thought.
I kindof liked seeing that reaction from him, how bout you? An angry, aggressive Jordan, is just such a better player. I think it was the game against YBB where he really was bossing the center and for the first time in his Liverpool career actually reminded me of the U-21 England Captain, Jordan Henderson...rather than Liverpool's Henderson.

Keep working hard and pushing your way into the team, Jordan...maybe the rage is a side effect from chugging Andro powder or something...he def looks a bit beefier than last year. Could be the kit, though (Enrique looked like a chorizo the first time i saw him in the new kit).

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I miss the days of Fortress Anfield.
Yup, those days are gone for the time being. We'll have to be really patient before seeing anything of that again...

I watched a bit of Anzhi earlier tonight, and they look impressive. We'll have to be much better than tonight if we want to stand any chance of getting further in this group. Not holding my hopes high for the time being. This 'reconstruction job' will take a long, long time... sigh...

OhYaBeauty

Well, FWIW, we will have the likes of Sahin and Suso available the rest of the season (knock on wood) so they should help us crack defenses open a bit.
That's what I said, this isn't our first team...

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Played some good stuff, first half in particular. When are we going to keep a clean sheet? Poor defending for all 3 goals. Johnson strolling for the first one. Good ball in for the second but should Coates be ducking under it at the last second maybe. Third one Stevie gives it away twice but a great finish. Just watching Brendans post match and he said we were " lazy " for 20 mins and lacked concentration.
Made a game of it after that and finished strongly. Downing did ok but needs more steel and end product. Henderson didnt look happy at being taken off either I thought.
Out of the 3, Henderson was the least influential and was going to come for Gerrard the moment he began warming up. He kept possession well today, but offers nothing going forward and is half the defensive player of Allen. Concerned with Borini.