Post match: LFC 2-3 Udinese

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
21 attempts from LFC, 7 on goal, two goals.

7 attempts from Udinese, 3 attempts on goal, three goals. That says it all I think.

Whilst decent enough during the first half (good control of the game, and an ecellent goal from Shelvey), we simply were not good enough during that second half to beat this ultra-efficient Italian side, with a stellar Di Natale tonight.

Another thought: at 1-1, Gerrard and Suarez come in to win the game. At the end, it's 2-3. Mmm...
Fair enough, but don't forget they were aided by an OG, and Shelvey was unlucky to end up clearing Suarez's goal-bound effort off their line.

Performance wise, lots to be pleased about.

We've been saying for quite sometime how shit our luck has been, and we haven't really helped ourselves with some of the sloppy defending we've shown, but sooner or later that's a problem a good coach and dedicated players will solve and our luck will have to change.

I'm taking the chances created, goals scored and good attacking performance as the positives from this. Again, in my view, the UEFA cup is really just a great opportunity for a competitive match for the squad in mid-week. It's only a trophy worth caring about once you're in the final.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
That's what I said, this isn't our first team...
Indeed...wasn't really disagreeing with you, I just don't think it's necessarily a bad omen at this point. Am trying to stay optimistic man!!! Can't handle omens just yet lol

Feel for Borini, I know he'd have loved to score in this game. Hopefully he gets his chance in Udine...

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Another performance in which we dominated for the majority and failed to clinch it. They say the mark of a good side is when you can still get a win when playing bad so what about a side that can't win while playing good?

Thought Downing had a good night though.

YNWA

A shit one? ;-) Tsss, no way...

Very good first half, against a very good team. It's not exactly Norwich this; it's a proper team, extremely well organized, tactically and defensively very good both individually and as a team, great on the counter...and they have Antonio Di Natale.

Disappointing we couldn't keep our concentration levels up in the second half. That's what cost us the game, I think. Players got a little sloppy, lost our shape a little bit. Can't afford that against an opponent like this.

I was waiting for Sahin to come on to help Allen stabilise the midfield and calm us down, but I can understand why Brendan chose the substitutions he did.

All in all, not too disappointed, although it's annoying to give away a lead that cheaply. It takes more than this to kill the nice, buzzy feeling I've had since West Brom.

Analyze, learn, move on.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
That's what I said, this isn't our first team...
Hmmmmmm.

First Team goalkeeper, First team midfielder in Allen, First team forwards in Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling for 25 minutes, Osama is nearly a first team player, First team RB.

I see what you mean. We basically had the under 18's out there.

T.C.B

Didnt like seeing Borini miss kick his only real chance in front of goal. Not the first time hes done that this season either. Hes game and covers the ground but I have my doubts he will be a success at this level. I hope im wrong though.
I think Hendo will come good if he is kept here. Showed tonite he can play a pass and move game. Not as dynamic as Shelvey maybe but could be an asset longterm. The worst short fast passing midfield player we have is the skipper.

OhYaBeauty

Hmmmmmm.

First Team goalkeeper, First team midfielder in Allen, First team forwards in Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling for 25 minutes, Osama is nearly a first team player, First team RB.

I see what you mean. We basically had the under 18's out there.
Thanks for taking it out of context. We didn't play our first team creative players. The OP was in reference to us not being able to crack a team that parked the bus. For most of the match, we didn't have Gerrard, Suarez, or Sterling (when we did, things were different) or Sahin; players who can creatively break through a wall of defenders. Suso fits there too, I guess.

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Well Mr Downing, you had a chance near the end to cap off a decent performance (for once).
But once again, your mediocrity shines through.
You just don't have the mentality to be a good player.

You spoent quite a few years believing you own hype.
Now.. oh what's the point?

All their goals came from defensive mistakes from more experienced players.
The youngsters like Jack Robinson and Rahee, Sterling did well.

But the lack of a goal poacher is costing us.
Can we put Robbie Fowler in a time machine and get him playing again?

No more hard luck excuses now Brendan.
Get your charges firing, or you will really feel the heat.
Let's see what Yesil can do - he'll at least have a go.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
We can't keep defending like this. 3 goals from a team that hardly created anything. Our defence is killing us and it's not just individual errors that are costing us. We are extremely soft at the back and we haven't shown any signs of improving that aspect of our game.

City, Manure and now these lucky bastards, all of them didn't deserve anything and yet they've walked away with points.

Individually two players impressed Robinson and Coates. If only the latter hadn't scored an own goal... Also Downing admittedly had his best performance in a Liverpool shirt. Too little too late for me though. Unfortunately not many of his teammates followed his lead.

Assaidi was mediocre, Johnson had a shocker especially in the second half, Borini continued to struggle, Allen not at his best either and probably should have been taken off instead of Henderson.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
I think some people are failing to give credit to how difficult it can be to break down 3 at the back (5 with the wingbacks defending), especially when we were playing without a no. 10 type player who can unlock it. We dominated the game-- properly, unlike against Norwich-- for the vast majority of the match, and were in all honesty very unlucky to concede the goals we did. We didn't do anything particularly wrong and Udinese didn't do much particularly right. These nights will happen from time to time.

Once again I have ample reason to be significantly less than impressed with our captain on the third goal: losing the ball foolishly in the attacking third but then not tracking back to help defend. Henderson had been keeping things neatly in check, and Gerrard on for Shelvey may have made more sense (or even on for Downing). I'm becoming more and more convinced that Gerrard belongs in the attacking trio; his play has been far more dangerous there and he is a liability in midfield. Unlike many of you, I would play Gerrard in the front three and Suso in the midfield instead against Stoke. Suso is unlike any other midfielder we have at the moment, and we could really have used him in that no. 10 role I mentioned.

Robinson, I think, has every reason to expect that he could become our first-choice left-back. Very solid today. Coates, despite the calamitous own goal, looks better to my eyes than does Skrtel. Johnson did poorly for Di Natale's goal, but contributed very well going forward. Henderson continues to impress, while Allen looks even better further forward. Shelvey as well makes a strong case for himself. Overall, good signs through the midfield.

We're still weak up top, understandably, though I feel bad for Borini. He didn't have much service up top against a tough Udinese backline, but I still think he will come good. Suárez continues to look very sharp, and if we can get them going at the same time our worries will be ameliorated somewhat. Assaidi is a joy to watch, constantly pulling two defenders; I still expect him to supplant Sterling in the first XI in the near future.

An unfortunate loss, but we're addressing the problems we've had in prior games, so the results will come. My big complaint last season was the persistence of the same deficiencies, but Rodgers is making sure that isn't the case. Individual errors will be ironed out as the systematic problems are dealt with.

Big challenge coming against Stoke. A win against them and reading will set us up nicely for the tough back-to-back of Anzhi and Everton. Thank god we're not going to Russia yet.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
Its amazing that we continually give the ball away in central positions that lead to counter attacks and goals. *cough* Gerrard *cough*
This is where we really miss Lucas. Joa Allen is a tidy player, but he still has the instincts to push forward sometimes when Lucas would sit and hold shape.

Robinson has really made leaps and bounds since his debut.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Fair enough, but don't forget they were aided by an OG, and Shelvey was unlucky to end up clearing Suarez's goal-bound effort off their line.

Performance wise, lots to be pleased about.

We've been saying for quite sometime how shit our luck has been, and we haven't really helped ourselves with some of the sloppy defending we've shown, but sooner or later that's a problem a good coach and dedicated players will solve and our luck will have to change.

I'm taking the chances created, goals scored and good attacking performance as the positives from this. Again, in my view, the UEFA cup is really just a great opportunity for a competitive match for the squad in mid-week. It's only a trophy worth caring about once you're in the final.
Oh sure, there are positives to take, but that awful defensive attitude so far is a bit concerning. Last season, defence was our strongest area. We gave almost nothing away (apart in the last weeks of the season), whereas right now, we leak at least two goals each game, independently of who plays. That's a real concern, and it's a bit of a pattern developing here. BR must be very concerned, and hopefully he'll be able to find a way to stabilize our defence. Otherwise, we'll have to take many results like this one I'm afraid...

But yes, there surely are some positives, like several good performers tonight (Robinson, Shelvey and Henderson among them imo). I especially liked the first half: good control of the game and it's speed, very good attacking chances, and solid at the back. This first half should be the blueprint to work on for the next matches.

As for the second one, it was a disaster. We were much too open, too far away from the opponents, sloppy, lacking concentration. The late charge means nothing as Udinese were concentrating on defending their two-goals cushion. Nice goal from Suarez, but that was too late and not enough to beat this good side.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Didnt like seeing Borini miss kick his only real chance in front of goal. Not the first time hes done that this season either. Hes game and covers the ground but I have my doubts he will be a success at this level. I hope im wrong though.
If Johnson hadn't tried to cut back to Shelvey when Borini had made a fantastic run to the six yard line, he'd have got the goal he needs

Really bad from Glen not to pick that out, cos it would have been a tap in.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
We can't keep defending like this. 3 goals from a team that hardly created anything. Our defence is killing us and it's not just individual errors that are costing us. We are extremely soft at the back and we haven't shown any signs of improving that aspect of our game.

City, Manure and now these lucky bastards, all of them didn't deserve anything and yet they've walked away with points.

Individually the one player who really impressed was Coates. If only he hadn't scored an own goal... Also Downing admittedly had his best performance in a Liverpool shirt. Too little too late for me though. Unfortunately not many of his teammates followed his lead.

Assaidi was mediocre, Johnson had a shocker especially in the second half, Borini continued to struggle, Allen not at his best either and probably should have been taken off instead of Henderson.
I think it would be a bigger concern if that were Agger and Skrtel today. I see them having no problem with Stoke at the weekend which is more important than this. Apart from his own goal, I thought Coates was good. I thought Robinson was solid, and Johnson just ok. It's hard to have a good back four when Carra is out there. Him letting Di Natalie juggle the ball as if it were training session and teeing up whoever that was that scored the third goal was it for me.

T.C.B

I kindof liked seeing that reaction from him, how bout you? An angry, aggressive Jordan, is just such a better player. I think it was the game against YBB where he really was bossing the center and for the first time in his Liverpool career actually reminded me of the U-21 England Captain, Jordan Henderson...rather than Liverpool's Henderson.

Keep working hard and pushing your way into the team, Jordan...maybe the rage is a side effect from chugging Andro powder or something...he def looks a bit beefier than last year. Could be the kit, though (Enrique looked like a chorizo the first time i saw him in the new kit).
I liked henderson tonite. Would have kept him on.
He has potential and I hope he is kept here because he will become a top player in my opinion.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
75% possession - stats from whoscored (who are now thankfully doing EL matches too) aka 757 passes for us against 240 for Udinese. Us with 91% pass accuracy too against their 71%. That's all we can really take out of the loss ...but it does give some comfort nonetheless.Yet all that matters nought and counts for nothing ...if they end up scoring three! Longer term though, it certainly should matter ...and is surely the way forward. If LFC continue to have 65~75% possession throughout most games, the odds should be heavily stacked on our side in the long run.

Thought we bossed them on the ball first half, without creating all that much. Seconds after bringing Lazzari on though, he then combines wonderfully with Di Natale for their equalizer ....and I thought we then had an extremely poor first half (of the second half). We then brought on the big guns, but got sucker-punched twice in quick succession. Great goal from Suarez and a few good chances thereafter, but wasn't to be on the night.

Always annoying to lose a match, especially one that I felt we should have easily won. But we're still very much midway through the learning curve, still very much transitioning to a new style of play and it's one that should ultimately bring it's rewards down the line.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Playing Roy Evans footy without the 30 a season man up top. Though think Suarez will score more this year

Defending though is just awful. It's not so much ability (Carra though is done for me) but organization. It's just not good enough there at this time and has to get better otherwise we will struggle

Udinese are ok but they aren't Juve, and no matter what the competition you don't want to lose too many home matches. Sends the wrong ripples out

Libero

Defence is a worry, can't be leaking goals like that, all started with Johnson who was way to casual when bringing the ball down.

Thought Henderson had an ok game, he is a very safe player and a few times he could have played the ball further forward but decided against and ruined the fluidity of our move.

Downing came into the game a bit more, but still doesn't do enough for me, thought Coates had a good game apart from the og and Jackie boy was terrific but could have got further forward. Don't see how Enrique will get a game tbh.

Apart from that not a bad performance, the backline needs to tighten up and we will be ok.

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
1) hendo isn't sahin. :huh:
2) downie put in a good shift but he's simply not good enough. :wacko:
Really? what Downing could have done better today? he was very good IMO
always a threat today, he really upped his game and I hope he can do that over a long period of time
and not to "turn off" like he used to do last season

Archer

TIA First Team
bossed first half, but didnt work the keeper nearly enough

simply can't concede after 13 secs of a restart

didnt regain composure quick enough - sign of youth/inexperience

assaidi no end product tonight, drifted out of game badly.

allen - dont get me wrong, i think this guy is 100% our future midfield, but once the ball goes past him, i think he's awful at tracking runs. Can't cover lucas full time imo. When he gets back to his preferred spot in between lucas and the AM, he also needs to show some forward passing. Sahin goes for the attacking ball and its transformed our play for the past two games.

borini - clever mover, hard worker, cant say much else yet though. cant see us scoring many with him up there alone.

shelvey - once napoli rejigged midfield, i thought he had a shocking 2nd half. Would have been my first sub (although weekend suspension may effect that decision)

Overall - lovely possession, didnt create or score enough, gerrard and suarez looking very sharp, defence remains big issue (whole 11, not just back line). Im really not fussed. Got nothing but patience for what rodgers is attempting; would love to see him given some MONEY.

Mascot88

Admin
Its amazing that we continually give the ball away in central positions that lead to counter attacks and goals. *cough* Gerrard *cough*
The problem with Gerrard is that he's constantly trying to force the pass.

Rodgers philosophy is to keep the ball, keep dragging the opposition about, until the opportunity presents itself. Most of the squad is beginning to understand this - but Gerrard, worryingly, isn't.

Mike1892

TIA Squad Member
Wet behind the ears defensively and not clinical enough up front. Story of the season so far.

Can't keep conceding 2 or more goals a game when we lack goals baring luis.

Some very good patient football on occasions if we can wise up defensively the way Rodgers has us playing we could do well in the Europa

Anfield rd Dreamer

Out of the 3, Henderson was the least influential and was going to come for Gerrard the moment he began warming up. He kept possession well today, but offers nothing going forward and is half the defensive player of Allen. Concerned with Borini.
We watched different games, Henderson played the deeper role as you saw as he was the one the centre backs were coming either side of, no suprise that he was on pitch for 65 minutes and we conceded one goal he was off pitch for 25 minutes and conceded 2. He also pushed forward well and got involved in few attacks. Allen I'm sorry that was his worst performance for us.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
This is where we really miss Lucas. Joa Allen is a tidy player, but he still has the instincts to push forward sometimes when Lucas would sit and hold shape.

Robinson has really made leaps and bounds since his debut.
Spot on about the midfield. It's exactly this - maintaining the defensive balance - we miss when Lucas is out. When he returns and we can push Allen slightly furhter forward we will have more stability, and not be as vulnerable as we are now in the transition phase. That's what's killing us at the moment, in addition to defensive individual errors.

Mascot88

Admin
By the way, I thought Pepe was fucking terrific tonight.

He could do nothing about their goals, but the stop he made in the first half - you know the one - was world class.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
We watched different games, Henderson played the deeper role as you saw as he was the one the centre backs were coming either side of, no suprise that he was on pitch for 65 minutes and we conceded one goal he was off pitch for 25 minutes and conceded 2. He also pushed forward well and got involved in few attacks. Allen I'm sorry that was his worst performance for us.
Henderson coming off has nothing to do with Coates scoring an own goal and the third goal I have to re watch. He was wide open. Henderson provided nothing in attack.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
75% possession - stats from whoscored (who are now thankfully doing EL matches too) aka 757 passes for us against 240 for Udinese. Us with 91% pass accuracy too against their 71%. That's all we can really take out of the loss ...but it does give some comfort nonetheless.Yet all that matters nought and counts for nothing ...if they end up scoring three! Longer term though, it certainly should matter ...and is surely the way forward. If LFC continue to have 65~75% possession throughout most games, the odds should be heavily stacked on our side in the long run.

(...)
Well, that's the limit of stats. So much for BR saying that a team dominating possession had a big statistic chance to win a game. That might be true, but then again, only if a team can defend properly, which isn't the case so far. We are downright sieves for the time being, conceding sloppy goals all the time.

Bring back Steve Clarke I say... sigh...

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

By the way, I thought Pepe was fucking terrific tonight.

He could do nothing about their goals, but the stop he made in the first half - you know the one - was world class.
Must be all the more frustrating for him to keep getting two/three goals every match...[/background]

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
He was wide open. Henderson provided nothing in attack.
I'll give you three guesses at who would have been tracking that run if Gerrard hadn't been 30 yards upfield, jogging towards our goal.

And if you are going to insist on seeing our defensive midfielders changing the game in attack, you are going to continue to be sorely disappointed.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I'll give you three guesses at who would have been tracking that run if Gerrard hadn't been 30 yards upfield, jogging towards our goal.

And if you are going to insist on seeing our defensive midfielders changing the game in attack, you are going to continue to be sorely disappointed.
I'm not insisting on anything. I think Rodgers brought on Gerrard and Suarez to score.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
I'm not insisting on anything. I think Rodgers brought on Gerrard and Suarez to score.
Yes. One of them scored. The other committed two 'Rodgerian' sins: misplacing a pass in the centre of the park and then failing to track back after losing it.

If we were going to bring Gerrard on to chase the win, then we should have brought him on for, say, Shelvey or Downing. What we should certainly not have done, if he isn't going to discipline his play, is bring him on for the player who was being a defensive rock in midfield.

My point-- and others'-- stands: it was no coincidence that we conceded after Henderson was brought off.