• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We got problems playing against them away, LFC-Orlando. We usually give them what they deserve at Anfield. The midfield is disappointing, disjointed. Gerrard was trying too hard to force the issue, Allen been losing possession and loose passes, Sahin was all over the place and nobody picks him out at all. Suarez tried to do it on his own, who could blame him, scored more than half our goals so far. Sterling still bloody naive with his chances. Suso, is the only bright one for me in this game.

When the clock hits 70th minute, Stoke retreat and soaking all the pressure thrown at them with two banks of 4. We find it hard to break them down, and that is not the first time.

I mentioned this when we hired Rodgers and all the talk about passing game, tiki-taka, whatever you wanna call it, but he has to learn to adapt to the new team he is managing now. With Swansea, teams don't park the bus when it is 0-0 and 25mins to go. With Swansea, nobody would rough you up too much. With Swansea, nobody would play on the counter attack for the entire game. You get that with a club like Liverpool FC, no matter where you are in the table. They will not bring the game to you.

All the possession, and no end result. Same shit, different season.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Positives.
A clean sheet. Wisdom didn't look out of place.
We stood up to the hoofers and tried to play football against them.
Its a point in a game that in previous years we might have lost.

Negatives.
Having the ball is well and good but you have to do more with it. Where is the creativity?
We are still two players light in the attacking third, badly need a top goalscorer and a creative player in the Silva, Mata, Oscar mold.
Stoke are a disgrace as a team, how anyone can pay to watch them hoof it around is beyond me.
We need a Plan B for this type of game. Brendan knows what Stoke will do beforehand and didn't seem prepared to change it.
A pacy powerful forward is an absolute must in Jan or next summer or we can expect more of these types or results.

Keep the faith lads n lassies.

TTorroro

TIA Youth Team
Im perfectly fine with Suarez in the middle. What we need is another quality player who delivers threat with variety of option, like another Suarez . Our team cannot interlink well and without the options of players who can overload defenders due to sheer individual technical ability our narrow style of play will inevitably generate low quality chances .

Up until now I see Suso as a likely candidate. Jury is out on Assaidi still

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Stoke play neanderthal football to perfection!

Only positive was a decent defensive performance rewarded with a clean sheet, and that's it really!

This game screamed out for Andy Carroll, we have shot ourselves in the foot by loaning him to WHU. No wins at home is shocking! It really is.

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
Stoke would only wish to play against Carroll and play right into their hands of crossing and hoofing. Jog off.

What game were u watching, I saw a lot of quality crosses into the box that carrol would relish..

We don't even play borini anymore ..

It's nice to have a clean sheet but stoke have the 2nd lowest goal tally in the league......

I get that ur an American and ur a pro-FSG but take the stick out ur ass and judge them not on nationality but actions.

Feel free to jog on or even walk on, just fuck off

RMP

TIA First Team
What game were u watching, I saw a lot of quality crosses into the box that carrol would relish..

It's nice to have a clean sheet but stoke have the 2nd lowest goal tally in the league......

I get that ur an American and ur a pro-FSG but take the stick out ur ass and judge them not on nationality but actions.

Apparently you missed our match against Stoke last season in the league

JackleCube

Can I just add, I think the grief some people are giving Stoke about their style of play is unfair; no-one wants two-footers with studs showing, but being rough is all part of the game; some of the most entertaining games were gritty, back when proper defenders used to bowl forwards over, not try and play the offside trap.

I don't like watching Stoke much, and admit sometimes it goes to far, but god-forbid it goes completely the other way with Stoke being used as some sort of scapegoat, because Leagues where a strong tackle seems to have become non-existent (Spain, Italy) generally seem to lack atmosphere, the game is much slower and everyone plays this patient passing football because no-one loses the ball unless it is intercepted. There's definitely a balance to be had here.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sorry Mascot, but Allen did nothing the whole game. His passes forward were intercepted a few times. Just because he is the sweetheart of Rodgers, doesn't mean he should be up there too. I think he looked a bit flat, even on the Thursday game. Not used to the demand on playing in Europe and then in EPL yet, I think.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users

How many goals has Carroll vs Stoke? And yet he was guaranteed to score atleast one today. Lmao. Jog off.

lfc55555

TIA First Team
todays game showed the difference between managing liverpool and managing swansea.

when you manage liverpool teams are prepared to go long, loft the ball into the air and and spoil your game.

when youre swansea, youre fair game and teams will come at you to get the 3 points.

there isnt that much difference between what were seeing at liverpool and what we saw at swansea, and simply carbon copying that model isnt enough.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Can I just add, I think the grief some people are giving Stoke about their style of play is unfair; no-one wants two-footers with studs showing, but being rough is all part of the game; some of the most entertaining games were gritty, back when proper defenders used to bowl forwards over, not try and play the offside trap.

I don't like watching Stoke much, and admit sometimes it goes to far, but god-forbid it goes completely the other way with Stoke being used as some sort of scapegoat, because Leagues where a strong tackle seems to have become non-existent (Spain, Italy) generally seem to lack atmosphere, the game is much slower and everyone plays this patient passing football because no-one loses the ball unless it is intercepted. There's definitely a balance to be had here.
There's nothing entertaining about Stoke. I've witnessed some incredibly entertaining Merseyside Derbies that were very physical, but also accompanied with some excellent football.

Watching a team hack and cynically foul their opponents for 90 minutes can only be entertaining to you if you're a fucking idiot. They're not a scapegoat at all, they're simply a bunch of twats playing the wrong sport.

/mini rant

Oh, and I'd rather watch spanish or italian football all day long than any stoke game. I've never watched a full 90 minutes of a stoke game and come away thinking anything other than what a boring bunch of untalented shithouses. Their game at arsenal earlier this season was the shittest thing I've ever watched on television.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Anfield is the place everyone wants to come play at. Shameful regardless of how terrible our opponent's unsportmanhip behavior was.

And we are on target (proportianally speaking) to end up with 37-40 points. Enough to avoid relegation.

But I'll be cynical while saying what must be said in order to get some folks worried enough. Points and results should not matter, cause we are witnessing a long term revolution, right?

Wrong.

Everyone who understands this game while understanding ruthless business, knows that short term results matter.

F the revolution if we continue to be below Stoke, W. Brom, Fulham, W. Ham, and Swansea. I won't even mention Everton and Newcastle, as they are already accepted by everyone as they are better teams.

yiannos33

Believe
Very frustrating match.We need a striker badly.
If Stoke was playing against any other team they would of been a man or two down by the first half.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Insanely ambitious passes that go straight to the opposition. Refusal to track back and win the ball. Demanding the ball over ayers in better positions. Right now, on merit, Gerrard should be behind Suso, Sahin, Allen and Shelvey for the two attacking midfield berths.
did we see the same match ?
on merit, gerrard is still my first name on the team sheet as far as the midfield is concerned.

there is a lot of gerrard bashing lately, and i am the first to admit that he is not the player he was 3 years ago, but just because he doesn't supply miracles on demand anymore, doesn't make him a bad player. judge by merit, not past merit.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I know you are saying Carroll wouldn't have scored but lets face it, could he have made us worse than we were today? No! Its a shame we have to keep going back to this topic but the fact we can't hit a cows arse with a banjo, sold a striker and didn't bring in a replacement is likely to be the reason we are going to be moaning nearly every single week.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Andy Carroll would have wandered on looked legathric and walked off, he looked better as a defender yesterday, we need a striker but writing on a message board over and over again won't do anything.

This season is already a write off, I'm sure we can finish top 8 but beyond that it's best we just bed in the system, maybe instead of a defensive coach we could sign an attacking coach

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
No one knows if Carroll would have scored.

But with the number of good crosses Gerrard was making, he would have been a dam site better option than Cole. Can remember the exact stat, but almost every goal Suarez scored last year was when Carroll was on the pitch. In a game like today he would have created space.

Digary

Sums up the game for me. How many players did they have booked by the end of the game? Would be extremely happy if they got relegated. Shame it won't happen.

Normally I defend Suarez in that he usually just exaggerates contact rather than flat out diving but that today was just embarrassing. I just cringed when I saw the replay. Rodgers needs to have a word.

A central forward is a must in January..

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
By january, is it too late for us to get a position that allows us to get into europa league proper?

steveee

TIA Reserve Team

You are by far the biggest dumbfuck I have seen on this forum in years.

and you saying people are pro FGS bc they are american is so silly.. if anything people are anti FSG bc they are american. I don't get why some delusional retards like u that say such idiotic BS... this pro FSg or Anti FSG is both stupid and really has no reason to be in this post match thread.

JackleCube

There's nothing entertaining about Stoke. I've witnessed some incredibly entertaining Merseyside Derbies that were very physical, but also accompanied with some excellent football.

Watching a team hack and cynically foul their opponents for 90 minutes can only be entertaining to you if you're a fucking idiot. They're not a scapegoat at all, they're simply a bunch of twats playing the wrong sport.

/mini rant
I didn't claim that they're perfect; in fact I stated that I don't like watching them and that sometimes they go too far, but everyone's just sticking the knife in; we all know that that's how they play, so we've gotta play around that, not use it as an excuse. Stoke might be a difficult game, but they still get the odd thumping, so clearly there's a way round their cynical football.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
People, enough with having a go at other posters and biting them back - moderators are here to bite back instead of you. Use your energy to discuss the match or there will be more infractions handed out.

And some match that was...

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
[sup]
Cant see this ending well.
We'll pass them to death, miss chance after chance, and get caught out from a dangerous throw in.
[/sup]

[sup]Ok, we didn't get caught out, but hardly inspiring in our quest for progression.[/sup]
[sup]Too many people got too carried away after beating a very poor Norwich side.[/sup]
[sup]Lots of work still to be done here, just hope the owners give the manager time, and funds[/sup]

alphakilo

TIA Regular

But with the number of good crosses Gerrard was making, he would have been a dam site better option than Cole. Can remember the exact stat, but almost every goal Suarez scored last year was when Carroll was on the pitch. In a game like today he would have created space.
No one knows if Carroll would have played either. Even if he were still here.

On a separate note, I guess that makes me American then. Pathetic.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin

We'll keep regretting the decision to let him go, and even more so will Rodgers...

But we have no choice for the time being than to make do with what we have got. To me, Suarez is not the right option as centre forward in a 4-3-3. Put him on the right of a proper striker, and things will get better imo. The only recognised proper striker we have presently is Borini. I don't see any other option but to play him as what he is: CF, and crossing fingers that he'll find his scoring boots for us. Suarez needs to be shifted to the right, as he otherwise tries to do everything by himself, and runs into a wall time and time again (apart from when he hits a 100% day like at Norwich).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
No one knows if Carroll would have played either. Even if he were still here.

On a separate note, I guess that makes me American then. Pathetic.
How is that post mentioned anything american. Man, some of you lot are getting a bit sensitive these days.

gl70

Stoke play neanderthal football to perfection!

Only positive was a decent defensive performance rewarded with a clean sheet, and that's it really!

This game screamed out for Andy Carroll, we have shot ourselves in the foot by loaning him to WHU. No wins at home is shocking! It really is.

i really don't see why how stoke play has anything to do with the shortcomings of the lfc team.

We just can't catch a break can we? It's either us getting bad luck or no luck at all. Can't remember the last time we won a match where we didn't deserve to win (although this match we were definitely the better team).

Also what exactly was the point of bringing Cole on for Suso?