• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke

Barnestormer

Left wing.
6 yellow cards tell a story.....why does it seem we are ALWAYS are out of favour with the officials?

That is more worrying for me than our performance. Stoke should have at least finished 10 men. Constantly kicking and up-ending players sort of damages a passing game, when you cannot be confident you will either be able to shield the ball without being kicked, or if you do get kicked, that you'll get a free kick.

We are a work in progress and I can accept that. Its even great to see it steadily grow and stutter in these early days - but bottom line is we got kicked off the park today and were'nt protected. They used to call it cheating.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
People saying on here its going to take time and its a slow process? Ok then, why not give kenny more time than one full season? We're we ended up in 2 cup finals? Someone please explain? Did we not play exceptional football at times last season? Our ONLY problem was finding the net. So why have fsg mad so many fuking changes from top to bottom? Why? What was so bad about last season that's so good about this season so far? That we didn't have a documentary on channel 5? Showing to the world what goes on and what BR says before a game? Laughable
You might remember that aside from our poor league performances, there were certain tiny PR blunders last season?

Tiny as in world record breaking levels of stupidity.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
6 yellow cards tell a story.....why does it seem we are ALWAYS are out of favour with the officials?

That is more worrying for me than our performance. Stoke should have at least finished 10 men. Constantly kicking and up-ending players sort of damages a passing game, when you cannot be confident you will either be able to shield the ball without being kicked, or if you do get kicked, that you'll get a free kick.

We are a work in progress and I can accept that. Its even great to see it steadily grow and stutter in these early days - but bottom line is we got kicked off the park today and were'nt protected. They used to call it cheating.
English refs have been a bit of an international joke since Webb's display at the 2010 World Cup. By most standards, they systematically lose control of the game, Stoke is simply the logical conclusion of refs not wishing to enforce the rules. It is a contact sport, but Stoke will continue to play that way until the boundaries are rigidly enforced and they are forced to play shorthanded as a matter of routine.

D.hughes

TIA Youth Team
@ the kaiser- who are you to tell me to get over it you cheeky twat, get over what exactly? All the changes made at the club? Ill get over it in my own time, not when some pathetic fool like ya self, who's probably never been to a game before tells me to! Prick

ptt

2020, head of the table.
@5times I'd edit that post a little mate.......

TheKaiser

Banned Users
@ the kaiser- who are you to tell me to get over it you cheeky twat, get over what exactly? All the changes made at the club? Ill get over it in my own time, not when some pathetic fool like ya self, who's probably never been to a game before tells me to! Prick
I can now see why you've got a -9 reputation. Good luck to you, wallowing in all that bitterness about the past!

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I can now see why you've got a -9 reputation. Good luck to you, wallowing in all that bitterness about the past!
Don't bite back.

He's been given 24 hours away from this forum to sort his behaviour out. I love King Kenny and think of him as our greatest legend ever but I also love Rafa. What should I do, set up a camp in front of Shankly Gates and beg owners to relieve Rodgers of his duties and get those two back whenever we fail to win a match we outplay our opposition?!

5euros

TIA Legend
Stoke really are a load of wank. Feel for the lads having to play rugby with no protection from the ref.

Gervinho's Forehead

Disappointing to say the least. Standard domination of the football, standard hitting the post 3 times, standard frustration. I've been waiting for such a long time for things to just 'click' and everytime we seem to be on a roll, the Gods of football stick out a trailing leg, we get tripped over and then booked for diving. How Huth remained on the pitch beyond half an hour, i'll never know, but we still should have won, we did enough, we created enough opportunities to win this comfortably. I think what we need is not anything other than a great sports psychologist to rebuild the teams egos. Watching us attempt to put away chances is like watching a recovering alcoholic ordering a pint, we are on track for a brighter future, but old habits die fucking hard. Still onwards and upwards, lets smash REading next weekend.

BigRed

TIA New Signing
BR was brought in because he has a vision on a very specific way of playing, and he was upfront about that since the beginning. It's a very "moneyball"-esque approach, which is why I think FSG is so on board and will give him more time to get it done. Failure to score in these games is slowly, slowly killing me, but I do take much heart in the fact that BR is seeming to set up a very clear future - giving young players lots of time, and winning players over to his system - and I like the way that future looks. I liked the way the team played under King Kenny, but it makes me furious to think what the team would look like now if BR was in charge with the kind of blank check KK had to spend. Hopefully this January/summer he gets a similar chance.

Also, even though the team isn't pulling off victories, I love the fighting spirit with BR's substitutions - if we are down or tied he throws offensive players into the game, uses all his subs before 80 min (something I don't think KK EVER did) and seems to push the players to try and get a goal. This is an aggressive mentality that I think will spread across the team as much as his passing tactics will.

I personally think the only way we can get back on top is to look to the youth for good players, as it's going to be really hard signing top-tier talent until we get back in the CL. I do think we need at least one other striker to mix things up.

As for the game, was really disappointed with Gerrard and thought Suso looked good. Stoke should have had a red, no doubt. After watching Joe Cole's first 5 passes go backwards, I thought he played pretty decently and seemed to dribble at players and add more creativity.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Different approach, same old results. Need to look at how to try and better finish the chances being created. Not much movement in the box when we break and the crosses are easily anticipated. I thought we showed our inexperience with Sterling guilty of one going for goal (tight angle) rather than crossing into the box. We've pretty much tightened at the back but sometimes again predictable when building from the back. A clean sheet at last.

This will take time (sez the gaffer). Asking for a prolific striker, I think so too.

Toby

TIA Youth Team
People saying on here its going to take time and its a slow process? Ok then, why not give kenny more time than one full season? We're we ended up in 2 cup finals? Someone please explain? Did we not play exceptional football at times last season? Our ONLY problem was finding the net. So why have fsg mad so many fuking changes from top to bottom? Why? What was so bad about last season that's so good about this season so far? That we didn't have a documentary on channel 5? Showing to the world what goes on and what BR says before a game? Laughable
Kenny spent over 100 million plus with very little to show for that amount. Brendan has shipped out or put on the bench all but one, and that one can't get a call from a Premiership referee if the opposing manager shot him. He had his chance to spend wisely, but failed to do so. At least FSG realized LFC's future should rely on another manager, finishing ninth in the table isn't good enough. Dalglish was hired with the understanding FSG may wish to turn to another manager sometime in the future and to quickly return the club to the Champions League. Dalglish was only a short term stop gap manager in the eyes of FSG.

While Brendan hasn't bought a sound solid striker as yet, he has strengthened the middle. The jury is still out with Brendan's buys, most of them have been better acquisitions than what Kenny bought.

Libero

The nerve of tony fucking pulis. What a thug of a team stoke are and he is calling Suarez to be banned, sure his dive was pathetic but the actions of his team are borderline criminal assault charges.

Happy with the backline today, obviously would have been happier with 3 points. Felt it was a game where we needed a bit more experience. The young players found it hard IMO to cope with the thugs but still applied themselves well.

Our players need more protection, I'm not calling for our players to start hounding the ref ala united.... but the players really need to stick up for each other when they are on the receiving end of some of these challenges and get in the face of the ref, or simply give one back when they get the chance. Can't let us be bullied around.

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
After nearly two games of "doing the right thing", Luis makes a meal of a slight knock.Pulis then goes on the attack and, guess what, get all the headlines. Haven't we got a PR department, with all their concern for publicity, media events and docos? The only response we can come up with is BRs pathetic "I haven't seen the incident so I can't really comment on it, but whatever Luis does there will always be a problem, whether it's media, referees or whatever,"
"Well he could hardly stand up because he had the shit kicked out of him all afternoon" would have deflected some of the heat back onto Pulis rather than let him whinge that they got more yellows than us.
FFS, why isn't BR PUBLICLY asking why this thuggish team didn't get at least two reds and backing it up by naming the incidents?
The standard of both the refereeing and commentary leave much to be desired.
Some Brummy twat on the stream I watched made the remark earlyish on when one of our players was hauled over by one of their thugs IN THE PENALTY AREA that "it was only a wee bit of an infringement" If twats like that started remarking more on the severity of some of the assaults that are too frequent on Luis and that Raheem is starting to cop.
A quiet chat to Riley about the refs isn't enough. FFS we are supposed to have professional refs - why is there no mechanism for complaints against them.
Until technology is used with similar rules to the American football and referees are held more accountable, we have more corrupt/incompetent (take your pick) decisions that are, in the long run, worth millions to the club.Don't give me any of that "takes too long" shit - it wouldn't take any longer than the time the Scum protest every time Nani trips over a blade of grass.

Spleen partially vented

YNWA

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
It must kill BR and every player and everyone involved with the club on how we can play well but yet not score and win a game. Our performance in the 2nd half was good enough to win a game but again, as in the past, we were disappointing when it comes to finishing off a team. How could Suarez miss after embarking on such an amazing run. How could Johnson miss when he has the ball on his right foot and at a good height. How could Gerrard misplace so many passes... I do not know what is the problem seriously. It would be easy to blame the failings of the summer. But that is hindsight. Would having Carroll or another striker really solve our problems? It might, it might not, who knows, if hindsight can win the league, alot of us would be favourites. One game we were talking about how our striking woes are over against young boys and Norwich and how we should shore up our defence, and the very next, we have a clean sheet and yet could not score shat.

Stoke city was dirty, dirtier than I thought it ever could be. TOny Pulis is a twat for calling Suarez to be banned but yet did not see the stamp on him. Two wrongs do not make one right, Suarez was wrong, but the injustice he suffers sometimes, he has done well thus far to control his temper compared to the last season.

We have a problem, lets not deny that. We played well, lets not deny that. Buts let not deny until the day we learn to be ruthless and finish teams off even when we only had one chance, we will never truly be up there with the best again.

I now finished ranting, and after a good night sleep, I am now looking forward to the next game.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Stoke city was dirty, dirtier than I thought it ever could be. TOny Pulis is a twat for calling Suarez to be banned but yet did not see the stamp on him. Two wrongs do not make one right, Suarez was wrong, but the injustice he suffers sometimes, he has done well thus far to control his temper compared to the last season.
That Huth stamp actually made me contemplate an adaptation from early 1980's hockey. Back then, the Edmonton Oilers were quite happy to play with a man from both sides sent off. They had fast, skilled players who could destroy other teams with the extra space. So when teams would start fouling the skill players, the muscle would come out. They had two skills, fighting and making sure that both participants got sent off. Then the Oilers would score 5-6 goals and absolutely embarrass the other side.

After that stamp and zero enforcement, I find myself wondering if the response is not to have a 6'5" 250lber take 1-2 of Huth's teeth out, both get red carded for fighting, pay the fines for the muscle, and put him right back on the bench when he is off suspension. It sounds appalling, but in a world where Howard Webb still gets PL games after allowing De Jong to leave boot prints on Alonso's chest when Alonso was standing, I don't think we can look to enforcement of the rules as a way out. Stoke has been built around exploiting that, the next step is to take it to the logical conclusion.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
At least FSG realized LFC's future should rely on another manager, finishing ninth in the table isn't good enough.
I'm not going to respond to the majority of what you were saying because it's not worth my time, but if you think we'll finish much higher this season, you should share whatever it is you're smoking.

InFrontOfTheKop

Stoke could have had red cards given against them in multiple incidences, but they weren't. There's a shocker... :blink:

Suarez's dive was embarrassing. I wonder if Pulis' comments will come to life tbh.. The dive was blatant. As I watched it, I could do nothing but bury my face in my hands. I love Suarez, and I know he's received unfair from the treatment of referees so far this season. But shit like that isn't helping him, and I don't understand why he insists on making things more difficult for himself by doing it.

We can't put the ball in the net. Plain and simple.

I thought Sterling looked very average today. He's got the talent, but he had a tough time with Cameron on him today. Would have loved to see Borini start tbh.. Assaidi seems to be up for it as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing either of them play more often in league games.

I hate to be so negative.. My apologies for that. It just hurts so see a team with such talent come up short time after time.

Patience..

YNWA

1dragon

TIA Regular
Now that tempers have cooled off somewhat and after a "good" sleep...

For all the "tiki-taka" that we played yesterday, we failed to break an organized Stoke defence down. Credit to them in that department. They stayed compact, refused to commit, and then, put their bodies in the way so that we rarely found a way through on goal. We also wasted almost every single set piece given to us; a pity since it could have been the alternative to breaking Stoke down.

In contrast, what unlocked their defence and unnerved them was our more direct balls. Gerrard, for all his misplaced passes and some wayward attempts, actually created a couple of good chances with balls that dissected Stoke's defence. The first one was the diagonal in the air towards Johnson. Caught Huth and Cameron unawares and Johnson should have at least hit the target. The second one was the free kick right at the death towards Skrtel. For all their air superiority, Stoke could not deal with that ball and Skrtel's efforts should have been rewarded with that goal. There are a few other instances which also had promised but ultimately broke down because of the lack of a final ball. Suarez's chance was also a result of running directly at the Stoke defence rather than attempting to out-pass them. The Stoke's defence were all at sea at that point and if Suarez had a bit more composure, we would have been one goal to the good.

When the "tiki-taka" tactic was not going well in the game due to the disciplined two banks of four which Stoke utilised, I do not blame Gerrard and Suarez from trying something different to get that elusive goal (diving excluded of course). Suso and Sterling, for all their flair and pace, were never going to get past a bunch of bodies easily, especially when the referee is taking a lenient stance towards using "body strength" to win the ball.

The only few positives that we got from the match is a first (belated) clean sheet for Reina, which will definitely do well for his confidence. The defence also decided not to play too many risky passes after a couple of mistakes early on, which is encouraging to see.

I hope Rodgers now sees that his squad does not have enough individual brilliance to break down a disciplined defence like Stoke. We have no Messi, no Iniesta, no clinical forward like Villa. "Tiki-taka" is not going to work against every team and sometimes, a little bit of change is needed. Oh, and, Allen looked below par yesterday and should have been subbed for another player when we were trying to get the winning goal. Poor decision making, misplaced passes, generally not providing an outlet. Opposing teams seem to have him figured out and crowd around him the moment he has the ball, leaving him with few options to pass to.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
english football was allways physical, sure stoke took it last night to a new level, but that wasn't the reason why we didn't score.

we didn't play well. simple as that. suso and sterling played wide, but didn't cut inside enough to help suarez, that was most of the time isolated.
wisdom did a good job on defence, but had little to do and needed to support more suso. midfield tried to push the ball to suarez to fast, and to many times there was a big gap between midfield and suarez.

aside from gerrard, we have no one to threat the goal from distance.

sorry to say, BR got it wrong yesterday, should have changed the formation early in the second half, to two forwards. this one is just as much on him as the players.

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
My overall concern from siting there watching the game yesterday was the signs that the patience is starting to crack. We all know it will take time to play this was and in every game we will need to be patient but this was the second home fixture in a row where the crowd have been on their feet shouting Attack, Attack, attack attack attack. This forces pressure onto the players who are trying to regimently follow Rodgers instructions which demands a rigid formation and style of play and potentially stretches us too far and opens up a crack in our defense. I would love to know how Rodgers feels hearing it being chanted around the ground.

Kudos to Pulis for deflecting the attention away from a torrid physical assault from his side onto 1 stupid second from Suarez.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Kudos to Pulis for deflecting the attention away from a torrid physical assault from his side onto 1 stupid second from Suarez.
He is just joining the bandwagon trying to smear the name of Suarez as much as he could. We didn't see him being vocal when Ashley Young did his infamous dive after an 8-footed ant tackle.

gb1986

I agree we didn't play well enough yesterday, we were very sloppy at times, i don't think Allen made more mistakes in that match than he has in all the previous combined. I'm not saying we played bad by any means, but it wasn't our best, but was it ever going to be in those sort of conditions?

Disappointed BR didn't speak out about what the lads had to go through though, especially with Pulis having the audacity to call for Suarez to be banned! I don't even know what to think about that i'm pretty gobsmacked to be honest.

We had a few good chances to win it but once again wasn't clinical enough, that's all it boiled down to, and that's been the story for a while now.

I'm just glad everyone got through it unscathed to be honest.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
He is just joining the bandwagon trying to smear the name of Suarez as much as he could. We didn't see him being vocal when Ashley Young did his infamous dive after an 8-footed ant tackle.
It was an awful dive, though. And what makes it even worse is the timing - just as we start to see the tide turning in the media a little bit, he then goes and does something like that and we'll now be right back where we started.

Guaranteed Ferguson will mention it in his presser before next week's game against Stoke.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It was an awful dive, though. And what makes it even worse is the timing - just as we start to see the tide turning in the media a little bit, he then goes and does something like that and we'll now be right back where we started.

Guaranteed Ferguson will mention it in his presser before next week's game against Stoke.
Regardless, it wasn't as if we got away with it and awarded a penalty. While his boys stamped on Suarez and the two footed lunge on Wisdom were not even punished. Fuck that whiskey breath fella, he can say whatever he likes. The referee is not only penalising Suarez, he was turning a blind eye on a lot of tackles thrown at our way. I am glad Gerrard said something to that fool after a tackle made by Adam on Sterling.

At least there were 3 players surrounding Suarez when he took that stupid dive, Ashley Young's dive was just blatant showing how United players get away with murder.

Ningles

TIA New Signing
Regardless, it wasn't as if we got away with it and awarded a penalty. While his boys stamped on Suarez and the two footed lunge on Wisdom were not even punished. Fuck that whiskey breath fella, he can say whatever he likes. The referee is not only penalising Suarez, he was turning a blind eye on a lot of tackles thrown at our way. I am glad Gerrard said something to that fool after a tackle made by Adam on Sterling.

At least there were 3 players surrounding Suarez when he took that stupid dive, Ashley Young's dive was just blatant showing how United players get away with murder.
also, didn't he get caught just before the dive - and that's why he was basically on his hands and knees already. That would have been enough for a pen, but I can see Suarez thinking 'I've got to make it look good as they never give me pens'.

Pulis is a disgrace - and watching MOTD2 last night was awful. They focussed on the dive but largely ignored the multitude of fouls on Suarez this season not called (indeed, they excused them as a 'the boy that cried wolf'). Suarez does dive, no doubt, but he is no different from most flair players in the prem (Young and Bale spring to mind) who spend most of their games getting hacked to bits.

We weren't that bad yesterday - we created a few good chances and hit the woodwork far too often. Sadly that was pretty much what I said after most games last season, but I'm still pretty pleased with the way we're playing. It'll start to click properly soon enough.

Interesting to see that the RVP elbow and 'Pulis wants FA to ban Suarez' are getting all the attention this morning but Huth's stamp and other horrific challenges are being completely ignored.