• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke

HarryFloyd

TIA First Team
A feeble performance, marked by that lack of finishing, which has been our bane for quite some time now.

We can blame the refs all we want (which I do not think made too many wrong calls in this game), hold on to the ball as long as we like, but if the goal scoring oppurtunities continue abegging, disappointment is here to stay.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Regardless, it wasn't as if we got away with it and awarded a penalty. While his boys stamped on Suarez and the two footed lunge on Wisdom were not even punished. Fuck that whiskey breath fella, he can say whatever he likes. The referee is not only penalising Suarez, he was turning a blind eye on a lot of tackles thrown at our way. I am glad Gerrard said something to that fool after a tackle made by Adam on Sterling.

At least there were 3 players surrounding Suarez when he took that stupid dive, Ashley Young's dive was just blatant showing how United players get away with murder.
We have to ask why we're not getting those kind of decisions in the first place, and at least part of the answer is that it's down to the perception of Suarez in this country... a perception that is unlikely to change anytime soon after incidents like the one we saw yesterday.

He should be doing everything he can to change people's opinion of him, so that eventually he'll start being given a fair crack of the whip by refs. It's not fair, but here we are.

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
A feeble performance, marked by that lack of finishing, which has been our bane for quite some time now.

We can blame the refs all we want (which I do not think made too many wrong calls in this game), hold on to the ball as long as we like, but if the goal scoring oppurtunities continue abegging, disappointment is here to stay.
I can't agree with the term feeble but I agree with the standard poor finishing, Johnson and Suarez spring to mind. We had to work hard against a very physical side, the likes of which Sterling and Suso probably haven't played against before and yet they shone out, Suso especially. I was disappointed when he came off but understand that Joe Cole does need game time if we are ever to get anything out of him. Side note - i was pleasantly surprised how supportive of him the crowd were.
The way are currently playing is slow and precise, this gives the likes of Stoke a huge amount of time to form up and create a huge defensive wall so the chances were always going to be few and far between so we needed to take those 1 or 2 chances.

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
Its not just Suarez's work to change the way people think of him. Its Rodgers, Jen Chang, Steven Gerrard and maybe even Ian Ayre

Look how Ferguson protects his players, Young and Welbeck are bigger divers and won penalties with outrageous dives and everybody still talks about Luis Suarez. Gareth Bale is another known diver (seen his dive yesterday? like he was being shot be a sniper from the stands) and no one makes a big deal of it...

howhardgerrard

TIA Squad Member
We have to ask why we're not getting those kind of decisions in the first place, and at least part of the answer is that it's down to the perception of Suarez in this country... a perception that is unlikely to change anytime soon after incidents like the one we saw yesterday.

He should be doing everything he can to change people's opinion of him, so that eventually he'll start being given a fair crack of the whip by refs. It's not fair, but here we are.
For most of the game yesterday whenever Suarez was in the box it felt like he was looking for a touch, a couple of times he basically run out of time and space looking for the contact. Rodgers needs to seriously cut this out of his game, it has already gone too far and it will take him not diving the rest of the season for any perceptions of him to even begin to change.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
The perceptions won't change, I remember Drogba cutting it out of his game for ages but I still thought of him as a diver, that dive from Luis yesterday is embarrassing, usually I will blindly defend him but I can't find a reason to defend that, its annoying the timing of it aswell as it comes right off the back of incidents where he should have had a penalty and people were talking about his reputation going against him and saying it was wrong but now they are just talking about him diving again, it was mentioned first on the sports news this morning, its on all the back pages and we are right back at square one.

Tony Pulis moaning about anything in a game annoys me though the way his team of thuggish louts plays! I'd be more embarrassed watching them 'play' than I'll ever be of Luis!

Reds

TIA Youth Team
Regarding the suarez dive, and the publicity around it from Pulis and others, I fear that we are going to see yellow cards showing to suarez even if he was tackled , if suarez was playing for the manure, the media and the officals will be scared from old red nose.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
For most of the game yesterday whenever Suarez was in the box it felt like he was looking for a touch, a couple of times he basically run out of time and space looking for the contact. Rodgers needs to seriously cut this out of his game, it has already gone too far and it will take him not diving the rest of the season for any perceptions of him to even begin to change.
Indeed.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
Maybe I was watching a different game.

Lots of talk here about how we dominated the game but all the "tiki taka" got us nowhere. Not true. We opened them up many times. We just failed to score.

To name a few times..... Suarez has a scintillating run through the entire Stoke defence and blasts the shot wide when a side foot into the corner of the net would have sufficed. Skrtel was unlucky when his little dink at the end hit the woodwork. Sterling showed his naivete at the end when he tried to slot it inside the near post instead of passing it across the goal where a player was waiting to tap it in.

You can be guaranteed that United, City, or Chelsea would have buried at least one of those chances and probably two. They would have won the game, moaned about Stoke being a bunch of arse clowns, accepted the three points and moved on.

Teams at the top do this week in week out. They take their half chances and win matches. At the moment we don't. I mean Jesus, look at Udinese the other night. They barely had more shots taken than goals scored. And they beat us.

But boy am I excited about this team. I really am. It is JUST not working out for us at the moment. But I reckon it will. Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly think all it will take is a bit of consistent magic. A bit of luck. A bit of something. Anything. Whatever! But there will come a day when we will play not too dissimilarly from yesterday and consistently walk away with three points.

Bring it.

Tosh

TIA Regular
Stoke would be better off in the Super League as oppossed to the Barclay's Premiership.

In a perverse way, I actually think they are a 'good' thing for football - only insofar as everyone has to play them, and they are everyone's nemesis.

A mate of mine is a Stoke fan and season ticket holder.
How anyone can pay good money to watch that excuse for a football team is simply beyond me. But each to his own.

This vendetta which the F.A. seem to have against us though, really needs looking at. Yet again we (and in particular Suarez) got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the officials, and how they managed to finish the game with 11 players on the park is quite beyond me.

We can't 'blame' Stoke. They do exactly what it says on the tin - no one should be surprised to see that.

What we need to do, is look at the impotence in front of goal

Arminius

FSG PR plant

From his point of view and Aguero's, it might be easier to go play somewhere else. The refs in this country allow defenders to stamp on him and the media pass it by without comment.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Managers trying to get players banned is the same as a player asking the ref to give a card. Huths stamp, which was absolutely deliberate, was disgusting - I hope the FA look at that today as well as RVP's hand off, when there's blatant violent behaviour that could lead to injury - the FA need to step in.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
I am usually first to say that Suarez didn't dive or make up some excuse for him but yesterday was quite laughable. He dribbled into 2/3 defenders, ran out of options and tried to cut it back on to his left and felt a slight touch. He must have thought a second about not going down but then decided to anyway which made it look ridiculous. That still doesn't compare to stamping on someone's chest with your studs! How Pulis can demonize Luis and ignore Huth's obvious intent to harm another player is beyond me. Does he tell his players to do that? I'd like to believe that he more civilized than that but with the way he gets his players to play, who knows? Its not football anymore when playing them, its more of a rugby match and the refs let them get away with it which makes it worse. They can play how they want but they should be judged the same as everyone else.

What makes this all the more horrible is Rodgers not bringing up the stamp on Luis after hearing Pulis attacking(through the media) at one of our players! How could he even shake the man's hand at the end of the match? Brendon needs to grow a pair and stand up for his players, for Pete's sake.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Maybe a phone call to Riley and reported it in public could be one of the reasons? Drogba, Robben, Nani, Ashley Young and a host of others who was known for diving had all got the call, notorious divers. Suarez on the other hand has been overlooked by not one by all referees right after that Evra incident. It has nothing to do with diving, it has everything to do with bias referees. They judge him before he even stepped into the pitch.

There is nothing he could do that will change anybody's opinion. Not even if Shawcross gave him a blatant flying kick in front of the referee. You know that as well as anyone else.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
It was an awful dive, though. And what makes it even worse is the timing - just as we start to see the tide turning in the media a little bit, he then goes and does something like that and we'll now be right back where we started.

Guaranteed Ferguson will mention it in his presser before next week's game against Stoke.
Well maybe he should mention Van Persies elbowing skills aswell.

I fully think a refs mind is made up by Suarez before the game starts but when stuff like that embarrassing dive is highlighted yesterday it just adds fuel to the fire!

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Maybe a phone call to Riley and reported it in public could be one of the reasons? Drogba, Robben, Nani, Ashley Young and a host of others who was known for diving had all got the call, notorious divers. Suarez on the other hand has been overlooked by not one by all referees right after that Evra incident. It has nothing to do with diving, it has everything to do with bias referees. They judge him before he even stepped into the pitch.

There is nothing he could do that will change anybody's opinion. Not even if Shawcross gave him a blatant flying kick in front of the referee. You know that as well as anyone else.
Didn't Nani have a stonewall penalty turned down the other week? It's not just our players that get the decisions go against them, though as it's the club we follow so they sting a lot more, and the fact is that if referees are biased, it's not because Luis Suarez plays for Liverpool - I'm sorry, but it's not - it's because of his reputation. I loathe the fact that Ferguson seemingly went out of his way to give Luis this reputation as I don't feel he's any worse than many players in this respect, and better (in my opinion) than the four you name there. But all incidents like yesterday will do is add to that, and the timing of it was atrocious.

Already in the media we were seeing plenty of reporters acknowledging that Suarez gets nothing despite being taken out of the game by defenders time and time again... that's a huge attitude change from an industry that has at times villainised him. How long before that attitude started to filter down to match officials, after continued evidence that he gets fouled in every match but no decisions go his way? It would have happened.

But I fear that at a key point of that process, he's committed a comical dive that everyone has seized on.

Underlying everything, the fact is that if he didn't dive, then he wouldn't have a reputation for diving. Not even Suarez's biggest fans, and I would like to think that I count among them, can defend him when he does that.

Ningles

TIA New Signing
James Pearce (Echo) reporting that Huth's stamp won't be looked at by the FA as the ref deemed it to be accidental.

Just re-watched it on youtube and i'm pretty sure he looks down at suarez before planting his foot. It's hard to tell though.

I would say that if I accidentally stepped on someone my immediate reaction would be to apologise and check he was ok. Huth just trotted off with his hands in the air...

Redbelly

TIA Youth Team
Pulis is an ass.

If he can bang on about Suarez 'diving' perhaps someone should mention that he manages a football team and not a rugby team.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
James Pearce (Echo) reporting that Huth's stamp won't be looked at by the FA as the ref deemed it to be accidental.

Just re-watched it on youtube and i'm pretty sure he looks down at suarez before planting his foot. It's hard to tell though.

I would say that if I accidentally stepped on someone my immediate reaction would be to apologise and check he was ok. Huth just trotted off with his hands in the air...
When you accidentally step up on something softer than the ground you are walking, your normal reaction is not to continue walking ahead.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Anyone with half a brain can see that Huth's stamp on Suarez wasn't accidental. He's looking at him for fucks sake.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Anyone with half a brain can see that Huth's stamp on Suarez wasn't accidental. He's looking at him for fucks sake.
It is easier to blame Suarez than to blame Huth, mind you. At least blaming Suarez has more merit as it is being done by all and sundry. Blaming Huth, only bitter Liverpool fans would do so.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The worst thing is Huth will have got a pat on the back and a 'well done' from Pulis for that.

I can't wait for the day those anti-football shits are sent back the Championship.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

This is a good call. Mason had a very old-fashioned approach to the game, but it wasn't biased or wrong or something. Just accepting rough physicality to be part of the game. I think we coped rather well with this, especially after the break. The ref is certainly not the reason why we weren't able to put the ball in the net. We need to look at ourselves, not at external reasons.

As much as I agree that there have been some fishy decisions given against us recently, this was not such a day.

Edit: Pulis is a * though for calling Suarez out and asking for a ban. Yes, he dived once, but the ref didn't see it. Otherwise, it would have been a deserved yellow card for him. End of story.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The worst thing about the Echo report is the confirmation that the ref did in fact see the stamp incident.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Insult the FA get a fine & in trouble, willingly stamp on someone or use a rugby hand off to the face and get away with it. The Football Association needs tearing down and re-building, it's an absolute joke.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
This is a good call. Mason had a very old-fashioned approach to the game, but it wasn't biased or wrong or something. Just accepting rough physicality to be part of the game. I think we coped rather well with this, especially after the break. The ref is certainly not the reason why we weren't able to put the ball in the net. We need to look at ourselves, not at external reasons.

As much as I agree that there have been some fishy decisions given against us recently, this was not such a day.

Edit: Pulis is a * though for calling Suarez out and asking for a ban. Yes, he dived once, but the ref didn't see it. Otherwise, it would have been a deserved yellow card for him. End of story.
So you think that it didn't matter that Stoke where playing us when Huth stamped on a player and didn't even get a yellow card for it? You think it would have happened if they played anybody else and he still wouldn't have got a yellow? Sorry, not buying it. It should have been a red card, not sure if its the rules if not then it ought to be, and we would have had 11 v 10 for 80 minutes so that would have helped our chances of breaking them down.

But at the end of the day it was another of those so close but not close enough. Suso's lob for Agger, Gerrard's long shot, Suarez's shot with his left foot or Skrtel's attempt at the end that hit the far post. All where just a yard off target or where it should have been hit to so much like it has been for the last 18 months.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

But at the end of the day it was another of those so close but not close enough. Suso's lob for Agger, Gerrard's long shot, Suarez's shot with his left foot or Skrtel's attempt at the end that hit the far post. All where just a yard off target or where it should have been hit to so much like it has been for the last 18 months.
Exactly. We need to look at ourselves. We didn't get any help from the ref, granted, but still created enough to put this game away. The fact we weren't able to hit the target on a regular basis was our downfall, not the ref.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Huth escapes FA ban

October 8, 2012
By ESPN staff

Stoke defender Robert Huth has escaped punishment from the Football Association over an alleged stamp on Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.

PA PhotosLiverpool were left frustrated by a typically robust Stoke side at Anfield on Sunday​

Suarez, 25, was left with stud marks to his torso after Huth, 28, appeared to stamp on him during Sunday's 0-0 draw between the two clubs at Anfield.
However, referee Lee Mason has since confirmed that he saw the incident at the time and chose not to take any action against the former Chelsea player. Under FA rules, that means Huth cannot now be charged retrospectively.
The Germany international has previous with English football's governing body after it handed him a retrospective three-match ban for punching West Ham's Matthew Upson while playing for the Potters in 2009

That's the worst part. He saw the stomp and yet deemed that to be legal? WTF.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
And there we have it, still.... Suarez dived, so bad of a boy that fella.

riclyn

TIA New Signing
We obviously need to finish off all the good play we are producing and that will come in time, and it was not the ref's fault that we did not win, but any ref who see's a stamp on a player like Huth did on Suarez and then say it was an accident should not be in charge of a football match ever again, it was nothing short of an attack by a thug on a man lying on the ground and if this sort of thing is not dealt with then someone sooner or later is going to be seriously injured.