• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST Match: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Waited till today and have to say that i was disappointed in the way Stoke played the game. I knew they would be rough but that was beyond even that. Huths stamp was intentional and he should have had a minimum yellow and would have been sent off later. We still had a few chances though and with a decent scorer would have scored a few even though the chances weren't all as clearcut as i would have liked.

The dive, well, what can i say. All that good work to make refs realise he is being unfairly treated and labelled a diver is all down the drain. He won't get a penalty this season now even if someone takes a sledgehammer to his legs. I hope he feels suitably embarrassed and sorry for letting BR and the team down. Every other time this year i've said yes, there was contact so you can't blame him but that was just awful to watch even if they had been hacking him all game. The ref should have protected him more but he took things into his own hands in a bad way.

The rest of the team, well, Allen and Sahin had worse games than usual and Stevie resorted to long passes (though in fairness some of our best chances came from this). Nice to see a clean sheet for a change but we definitely need a real goal scorer. Sterling was up against it yesterday and having Suarez and Suso/Sterling either side of a genuine goal scorer would have most teams scared witless. I don't care if we don't buy anyone else or if we have to overpay just this once in January but we need a top striker.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
Huth escapes FA ban

October 8, 2012By ESPN staff

Stoke defender Robert Huth has escaped punishment from the Football Association over an alleged stamp on Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.

PA PhotosLiverpool were left frustrated by a typically robust Stoke side at Anfield on Sunday​

Suarez, 25, was left with stud marks to his torso after Huth, 28, appeared to stamp on him during Sunday's 0-0 draw between the two clubs at Anfield.
However, referee Lee Mason has since confirmed that he saw the incident at the time and chose not to take any action against the former Chelsea player. Under FA rules, that means Huth cannot now be charged retrospectively.
The Germany international has previous with English football's governing body after it handed him a retrospective three-match ban for punching West Ham's Matthew Upson while playing for the Potters in 2009

That's the worst part. He saw the stomp and yet deemed that to be legal? WTF.
So does Mason get to ref United next weekend?... WTF is that load of garbage. Horrendous, absolutely horrendous.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
This is a good call. Mason had a very old-fashioned approach to the game, but it wasn't biased or wrong or something. Just accepting rough physicality to be part of the game. I think we coped rather well with this, especially after the break. The ref is certainly not the reason why we weren't able to put the ball in the net. We need to look at ourselves, not at external reasons.

As much as I agree that there have been some fishy decisions given against us recently, this was not such a day.

Edit: Pulis is a * though for calling Suarez out and asking for a ban. Yes, he dived once, but the ref didn't see it. Otherwise, it would have been a deserved yellow card for him. End of story.
Bang on. Personal and team accountability. We can complain all we want about being treated unfair, but the fact still stands if we put the ball in the net, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

And yeah the stamp was horrible. But Suarez (who I still love) also isn't doing us any favors with refs with this whole diving thing, as it's not the first time it's happened.

Gears

TIA Regular
It's not a secret that some coaches ask their players to go out there and be brutes. Mourinho does it to a select few of his players, and Tony Pulis tells that to all his players!

Sometimes I think we need ONE brute in the team that can sort of control the amount of punishment the opposition can dish out. I'm not sure if anyone else who actively plays football notices, but if you stamp your authority hard in the beginning....players won't bully you or your team mates as much.

Incognito

The Normal One
I don't get it. It's ridiculous if the ref has seen the stamp and is still allowing the game to go on. Can't the club do anything about it?

These thugs are literally man handling him. He gets nothing his way. And we are here blaming him for diving. Atleast we should see from his perspective, what would be going on in his mind. It's ridiculous. The fact that he didn't get up to kick those bastards and get on with his game shows a lot of maturity IMO. You get such treatment day in day out, boos from all around the away supporters, people calling you cheat, diver, racist and players kicking the hell out of you, coz they are not able to stop you. If we don't protect him, he'll be off soon. Mission Fergie accomplished yet again.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It's not a secret that some coaches ask their players to go out there and be brutes. Mourinho does it to a select few of his players, and Tony Pulis tells that to all his players!

Sometimes I think we need ONE brute in the team that can sort of control the amount of punishment the opposition can dish out. I'm not sure if anyone else who actively plays football notices, but if you stamp your authority hard in the beginning....players won't bully you or your team mates as much.
Semenko. Paging Dave Semenko....

ChicagoRed

Banned Users

It's a thought and most teams have that as a holding mid type of player however, ours would be sent off for the stuff Stoke get away with so we would just end up playing a man down.

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
If the referee saw the Huth stamp, sorry saw Huth appear to stamp, then he must necessarily have seen the the foul that preceded it.
The twat isn't fit to ref the under-7s.
WHERE'S THE FCUKING CLUB?
Why aren't we doing anything to back up Luis.
AGAIN
Just so pissed off, its probably just as well there's a break for my blood pressure to subside
YNWA

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Rodgers has stepped in and labelled the treatment of Suarez as unfair (story on the OS). This has the label 'Suarez affair, part II' labelled over it. After Kenny, it's BR's turn now to get acquainted with the contemporary British media as LFC boss... he'll probably get stoned now for trying to protect that horrible little cheat and racist Suarez... oh well...

JackleCube

The problem is, Luis does not do himself many favours; I hadn't seen him go down easily for ages, and I also thought his manner recently when being denied clear penalties was really held back and good, but just when he was starting to get some support (people outside the club and fans starting to notice the unfair treatment) he dives again and we're back to square one.

I'm not saying it's fair; it's completely unfair, Luis is becoming heavily victomised, but when you are in that situation, you can't afford to give anyone an inch, because they'll take a mile. Suarez's dive shouldn't overshadow Huth's clear stamp, but it will, and we all would've known if we could have predicted it that it would.

The problem now going forward is what stance to take. The kind of "us against everybody" stance that Kenny took did him no favours, I think we just have to move forward as we would have had this not happened and we just have to keep ignoring these controversies and move on. Issuing statements and complaints seems to be doing us no favours.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Rodgers has stepped in and labelled the treatment of Suarez as unfair (story on the OS). This has the label 'Suarez affair, part II' labelled over it. After Kenny, it's BR's turn now to get acquainted with the contemporary British media as LFC boss... he'll probably get stoned now for trying to protect that horrible little cheat and racist Suarez... oh well...
I'm not sure, I'm hopeful(!) that this is more the counterattack. Obviously the vitriol and fixation the media have with Luis is undergirded by the whole racism issue. Neither we nor they are going to touch it, but it's there. What I think Jen And Brendan were trying to do when speaking up about Luis not getting calls was starting to work as the incident at Carrow Road was mostly considered with sympathy, even if nobody really went further than that. What I think this represents is a slow campaign on our part to essentially call bullshit on media outlets when they obsess over the behavior of Suarez and ignore similar behavior by others, and further, when they totally ignore violent incidents and instead fixate on "dives". Like it or not, Brendan has a better rapport with the press than Kenny did, one which was built in Swansea and which he's continued to build here. It's harder for an outsider to dislike him than Kenny, at least as he often presented himself publicly. So I think they'll begin to listen. Some might come out with the same old crap, but I'm thinking back to that comprehensive interview Luis did a months back with (I think) Sid Lowe and that had the efforts of Jen Chang written all over it. A journalist willing to present our side of the story without a hint of inflection or judgement. That most of all is what Chang brings to the table is good relationships with a number of the more intelligent and modern journalists out there (not your Burleys, Lawrensons or Shearers) so when he's released something like he has, he'll have contacted them to see what they think of it and see if they're interested in giving Brendan further opportunity to explain himself and make the case that Luis is being targeted in a way that the rest of us can see is inordinate to what he does.

I could be wrong and it might stop here. But the fact that this started as a press release says to me it's going to continue on as a talking point, only this time we'll be on the front foot in terms of fleshing out the story and putting it out there for general consumption. People can hit back all they like, but given the real evidence, there's little argument to be made that doesn't boil down to just not liking Luis.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
...Mason had a very old-fashioned approach to the game, but it wasn't biased or wrong or something. Just accepting rough physicality to be part of the game. I think we coped rather well with this, especially after the break. The ref is certainly not the reason why we weren't able to put the ball in the net. We need to look at ourselves, not at external reasons.
Edit: Pulis is a * though for calling Suarez out and asking for a ban. Yes, he dived once, but the ref didn't see it. Otherwise, it would have been a deserved yellow card for him. End of story.
Have a read of http://basstunedtore...06/ref-justice/

Mason has reffed 3 Liverpool-Stoke encounters (out of his 15 Liverpool matches) and he has been exceptionally lenient throughout towards Stoke (has had 15 of their matches as a ref too). He has never once awarded a penalty against them nor ever sent one of their players off.

Agreed that we did far too little (ourselves) on the day to score against Stoke, though Mason did allow the stamp (no action will be taken, as he has since claimed to have seen it ?! Just wtf there - as if he did actually see it, it was clear Red) ...plus generously Glen to be body-charged by Walters in mid-air and also permitted general rough-house treatment to go basically unpunished first-half. That we allowed ourselves to be bullied out of the game first-half, was maybe more our own fault, but the Ref was pretty lenient - especially towards Huth.

As for the holier-than-thou reaction of Pulis post match aka "Suarez is a disgrace and should be banned for 3 games". No sir, your team is a disgrace! Wilson did actually hook Suarez with his foot, then Luis (having no chance to get to the ball) fell to his knees and all-fours. It's a fine margin. Wilson did hook Luis's foot (and therefore impede Luis) inside the box. Luis did fall to all-fours. I didn't see Luis claiming anything. Ref didn't give anything. Don't really see the problem. Pulis convieniently sidesteps the stamp, the 2 nasty tackles on Luis's ankles and then Huth cynically taking him out in full flight.

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
Thank you for banning me for 1 day, appreciate it. I'd just like to clear some things off my chest. I was banned because I spoke to another member in an ugly manner. This is not an attack on anyone.

I love Football and I still train like I did for my university team. I love Liverpool FC. I've been a Liverpool support / fan whatever you call it since I was 4 for over 27 years. I have been fortunate to watch numerous games at Anfield throughout my life. I've seen players like John Barnes, Steve mcmanaman, Xabi, Stevie G and torres.

I have always felt a connection with Liverpool FC. When they play badly or things are down it directly affects me and my life. I will always be a Red.

I watch the games with my 17 month old son so he can build a connection with Liverpool FC, he owns everything from a Liverpool teddy bear to the jerseys to his baby toothbrush, all Red. I've started training him to play because I have a dream one day he'll play for Liverpool FC.

I love Liverpool FC so much that I barred my wife from watching the games with me. No joke, everytime she enters the room, within 3 seconds the opposing team scores. It's happened so many times, pretty much everytime, if it didn't happen so many times and If it didn't hurt so much I would actually find it funny. I had no other choice but to bar her. At first she thought I was kidding but when she later found out I wasn't messing around she got upset. It breaks my heart that my wife's aura has something so powerful and Anti-Liverpool FC that it makes other teams score within 3 seconds of her entering a TV room, but ultimately I do it because I want Liverpool to win. I suspect it's because she's from Manchester so her aura has something Anti-Liverpool FC...

I'd like to clarify my comments to chicagoRed regarding my "I get that ur an American and ur a pro-FSG". I was referring to comradery . I'm sure when hicks and gillete were the owners and fans would say things like "yanks out" or anything Anti-America about hicks/gillete it must of hurt to some degree to our American fans. This rule would apply to every other nationality like an Arab owner or Thai owner etc, not just America. I am not Anti-American on the contrary I think it's a great nation. Was simply asking to think objectively.

My opinion of FSG is that they have been naive and have contradicted themselves. I love Liverpool FC. I only care about them prospering and getting better. They came and bought the club at a discounted price. They choose to implement the Moneyball approach and to bring in Comolli which failed miserably. They fired Kenny who was in transition and got us a trophy. Even the lack of respect showed to him when he got fired and how it was handled and shown in Being Liverpool just showed that they have no indication of what Liverpool is about.

Then came Brendan Rodgers and he was promised a striker. He felt so confident that he let Carrol go, only for him to harshly find out that we would have no replacement. Brendan Rodgers admitted that this was a mistake, a failure. He speaks of the jan window. That means that no matter what people say. Rodgers would have wanted Carrol to play especially without a replacement. That means no one else can say Carrol shouldn't be at Liverpool right now, because our manager said he wouldn't of given him up if he knew no one else was coming in..........Even though Rodgers showed his inexperience I still believe he has great potential. He has gained my respect by having the balls to field young players and I admired him for his no die attitude against Man utd.

Someone has to be held accountable for us staggering. FSG are the owners, ultimately the blame has to lie with them if we are to resolve our problems and move forward. I am shocked that there aren't more people pissed to be honest. We are getting dragged down to becoming an avg squad and have the worst start in 100 years. 100 years, that's a long ass record to break. You don't break records like that unless something is really wrong. I am not Anti-FSG I am merely stating my concerns and if they end up fixing our problems then I will be their #1 fan. This is my opinion and I have the right to express it.

You could see with the Stoke game that we were missing a PlanB. We need a clinical striker and atleast Carrol would've provided a different dynamic and aerial threat, a plan B.

I plan on voicing my concerns till jan and until they start resolving issues. I feel to fix a problem you must address it. This is my opinion and i have the right to express it.

I don't need this site. I choose to join. I joined because I thought this was a forum where you can connect with fellow supporters around the world who shared the same passion I felt for Liverpool FC. There are many posters who write interesting posts. There are some who write only generic posts and then there are some who write to stir trouble.

I don't quote people's posts and insult them, I have never attacked anyone. I respect other peoples opinions and I simply write my views without targetting anyone.

I am curious. ChicagoRed, baxter, steveee all choose to quote posts of mine and attack,bait,insult whatever you want to call it. They choose the time to quote my post to directly tell me to "jog off" or "dumbfuck" or "idiot" etc. All because my opinion and views differed to theirs. I never insulted another member, so I receive notifications on my phone since they are quoting my post I receive email notifications. Reading what they wrote about me I felt the need to defend myself, I reply along the lines of "go fuck yourself" and I get banned.

Was any punishment handed to them? Is it ok to quote other people and insult/provoke members but if the member in question defends himself they get banned? I swore for that I apologize but I was provoked and targeted. This was right after the Stoke match and more points that Liverpool have already dropped. Insulting me when my emotions are high after a Liverpool loss or a tie against a lower team, will always get a reaction out of me. But I wasn't the one attacking people, I was defending myself and there is a big difference.

You state that if I do it again then my suspension will be even longer, but I can not change my nature. I will always defend myself in person or the internet. You also state that you have taken a point from me? I didn't know I have points? If I am to be targetted by other people because my views differ and Admins start banning me because I'm defending myself, not attacking. Then just Ban my account for life as we are wasting each others time. If you can also give the points I have on this forum to Liverpool FC that would be great too.

YNWA

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Well if anybody needs cheering up and has Twitter I suggest @JoeAllenFacts I especially thin Wathik_LFC needs it. Unfortunately with how often we will likely drop points in our first season with a new manager I suggest you go on there very frequently.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
@ Whatik, I liked the post, some great comedy value,truth,lies,misjudments,sniping,contradictions and mystery all roled into one. How you pulled it off in one essay I will never know. Jeeez that was a lot to get off your chest. Maybe you should allow the missus in the living room more often. Love the way you seem to desipse FSG at the min but if they turn things around you will be their no 1 fan, you sure wear your heart on your sleeve, no doubt.Bit of advice, maybe you just need to chill, we will be okay.

Tosh

TIA Regular
The worst thing is Huth will have got a pat on the back and a 'well done' from Pulis for that.

I can't wait for the day those anti-football shits are sent back the Championship.
That's right.
No one should be fooled into the fact that Pulis sends a side out to play the game.

Before kick off, he'll be winding the likes of Huth up, so as he takes the field ready to maim someone.

It's straight out of the Don Reivie, Bobby Gould, Joe Royal, book of 'tactics'.

Gears

TIA Regular
It's a thought and most teams have that as a holding mid type of player however, ours would be sent off for the stuff Stoke get away with so we would just end up playing a man down.
Carroll used to bully defenders when he was Newcastle. Heskey used to take all the hits for Michael Owen. Shelvey seems to be a no nonsense type. Gerrard used to be that type but I think he's a bit more careful with injuries piling up. Allen and Lucas are clean ball winners, I doubt they would like the concept of playing physically.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Carroll used to bully defenders when he was Newcastle. Heskey used to take all the hits for Michael Owen. Shelvey seems to be a no nonsense type. Gerrard used to be that type but I think he's a bit more careful with injuries piling up. Allen and Lucas are clean ball winners, I doubt they would like the concept of playing physically.
And Masch would wipe people off and was sent off for asking why Torres got booked for getting fouled. It's not really going to matter.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If we had a physical type, a Roy Keane or similar, to let people know who the daddy is, the way refs treat LFC these days, he would be sent off every single game.

Or did you not notice big bad Raheem Sterling getting punished for pushing over the poor likle Stoke Rugby player.

Bearing in mind it was a decision made by a referee who saw nothing wrong with Huth throwing Suarez to the ground and walking on him.

We cannot afford to take the risk of having anybody physical in our side at the moment until we start getting treated a bit more evenly by officials.

Gears

TIA Regular
And Masch would wipe people off and was sent off for asking why Torres got booked for getting fouled. It's not really going to matter.
Not his fault....and we'd still get results when he doesn't get booked. Last season, we had charlie adam picking up red cards and he still doesn't tackle properly. We have henderson, who is too busy fixing his hair to get stuck in. We won't question this, because he was brought in to be the next stevie g, also....he's only 22.

Allen is boss imo, can intercept passes, does not lose the ball and is very clean with the tackles if he needs to make them. Also he plays deep so it's not like he provides the brutes any chances to bury him. As for sahin, same as Henderson....brought in to fill in for stevie G who can't be bothered to stamp authority on the game.

Gears

TIA Regular
The perceptions won't change, I remember Drogba cutting it out of his game for ages but I still thought of him as a diver, that dive from Luis yesterday is embarrassing, usually I will blindly defend him but I can't find a reason to defend that, its annoying the timing of it aswell as it comes right off the back of incidents where he should have had a penalty and people were talking about his reputation going against him and saying it was wrong but now they are just talking about him diving again, it was mentioned first on the sports news this morning, its on all the back pages and we are right back at square one.

Tony Pulis moaning about anything in a game annoys me though the way his team of thuggish louts plays! I'd be more embarrassed watching them 'play' than I'll ever be of Luis!
Drogba did it if he felt the need to, ie the first two seasons when he was poor. Eventually, he didn't need to flop around as much since he got better on his feet and handled pressure well. The issue with him was that he was being advised by Mourinho to win penalties and free kicks. He was the chief dead ball specialist starting 07/08 when he started hiting 20 goals minimum in the premier league.

Luis' dive reduces any of our calls for fair refereeing. Sergio Aguero made a claim that foreign players get discriminated: His statement is easier to put on the papers. It's two fold, we will back suarez for the unfair treatment he gets, but he also needs to back us by not diving!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

If you can also give the points I have on this forum to Liverpool FC that would be great too.

YNWA
If only we could do this... lol

Edit: I looked up what sparked all this, and warned a poster who called you an idiot for your opinions. One more point for Liverpool FC!... :cheers:

(when offended, it's better to report the offending post, rather than going into a tirade of insults yourself, which will always get you into trouble)

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Just to sidestep abit for Wathik_LFC, just a little suggestion. You know this is a forum, sometimes people get worked up, sometimes they are what we call keyboard warriors, typing furiously without responsibilities. There are also people who thrive on strife. They love making another person angry. I have not being on this board for long but for me, one simple rule remains. I discuss, I do not attack. And once another forumer feels the need to discuss my mother, my father or me as a person, I simply withdraw from the discussion. There is no need to give them more joy by retaliating. Easier said than done, but it takes a little practice. Just keep telling yourself you are better than people who chose to call you names and you are not going to stoop to their levels and if everyone can keep their counsel sometimes, this forum will be a better place but this forum is not perfect and thats why we need moderators and admins.

And unfortunately, moderators and admins are like referees (HAHA!), they pleased no one. They are only trying to keep this forum clean and friendly and sometimes they do get blindsided, but hey, they, like us, are only humans.

So if everyone can keep a basic respect for everyone, we will see no need to react "violently" to every single stupid posts we see or post we do not agree with. Deep inside if we chose to see that everyone here can be different but are all bound by the love for our club, then it will be much easier to show that respect to each other.

Cheers, enjoy the game and be happy.

Libero

not sure where to post this, so move it if necessary, but an interesting read.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2012/10/05Oct-Football-Referees-News-Release.aspx

Arminius

FSG PR plant
[quote name='Borini's Knife' timestamp='1349783388' post='11569']
not sure where to post this, so move it if necessary, but an interesting read.

http://www.birmingha...ws-Release.aspx
[/quote]

Shocked...no, wait. I am not. Aguero is basically right.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I think they need to define the sort of player they are talking about a bit better. Do they just mean black footballers? There aren't any Asian Premiership players that I know of, so it can't be that, while I don't think that South American or Scandanavians (for example) would be among the biggest ethnic minority groups in this country.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think they need to define the sort of player they are talking about a bit better. Do they just mean black footballers? There aren't any Asian Premiership players that I know of, so it can't be that, while I don't think that South American or Scandanavians (for example) would be among the biggest ethnic minority groups in this country.
Really, off the top of my head - Kagawa, Park Ji Sung, Ki Sung-Yueng. You cannot be serious... all these are first team players by the way.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Ji Sung Park never get's pens but I guess that's as he spent more time on the subs bench at manure, see how he fares at QPR

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Really, off the top of my head - Kagawa, Park Ji Sung, Ki Sung-Yueng. You cannot be serious... all these are first team players by the way.
When I said Asian, I really meant Indian, Pakistani etc. I would say South-East Asian for those countries (I know that when people from the USA say Asian they mean the same thing you just pointed out, so I guess it's just regional differences).

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think he meant South Asian - if I recall correctly, that survey done in 2004 that only found 10 'Asian' players in association football did exactly the same thing. There are actually quite a few more than that when the definition picks up Filipinos in particular.