Post-Match: Liverpool 0-1 Southampton

OhYaBeauty

I know everybody will point to four central defenders as the reason we lost today, but I don't think that was it. We lost because Gerrard and Lucas have no control over the midfield. Our success as a team relies heavily upon them to be defensive but still create going forward. Today, without fullbacks committed up the pitch, the two of them were still very deep and didn't influence any attacks going forward. Especially with more reserved fullbacks, they need to be moving forward in support of the attackers instead of just whacking it forward and letting the front four do their thing. Additionally, only Gerrard has any real attacking ability from those two and since he's come back tired from England duty he's been poor. Without him playing the way he did in the second half of last season, we're nothing.

The team spirit was also awful today. So far this season we've always seemed upbeat and energetic, which shows in how often we win second balls and seemingly outnumber the opposition. That didn't happen today; almost all the loose balls fell to Southampton players and I attribute that to laziness, poor leadership, and a weak midfield.

Although a few of the players looked like they couldn’t care less about the match today Brendan has to take the majority of the blame in my opinion. Set us up with a baffling backline and looked like he was aiming to nick a win instead of trying to dominate a lower table team at home like we should be doing. Pathetic really. Reminded me of the Hodgson times.

Toro

Florida Red
I blame Rodgers for sending out four central defenders.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
The familiar feeling of going to bed at a stupid hour feeling annoyed, is back!

Having said that, these kind of defeats don't even get to me any more.

Toro

Florida Red
I like Rodgers, and I like our four CBs, just not all on the pitch at the same time, except if we're up 1-0 in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

lfc.8

Shocking performance. Hardly a decent shot on goal all game. Far too many 'potential' and average players in this squad. Just not good enough. Poor form really.

steve10

TIA New Signing
liverpool_singh said:
Although a few of the players looked like they couldn’t care less about the match today Brendan has to take the majority of the blame in my opinion. Set us up with a baffling backline and looked like he was aiming to nick a win instead of trying to dominate a lower table team at home like we should be doing. Pathetic really. Reminded me of the Hodgson times.
Spot on- Rodgers tactics today were very negative. That's the main reason we lost the match. Add to that his summer signings- most of whom are looking very dodgy at the moment.

Nick_LFC

Bob and Phil from Brazil!
ab·ject
/ˈabˌjekt/
Adjective
  1. (of a situation or condition) Extremely bad, unpleasant, and degrading.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Kneejerks aside, this squad misses Glen Johnson immensely. It was a tough match to spectate, but we will continue on to better days.

Gerrard needs a break. Lucas needs cover. Aspas is not a midfielder. Sturridge needs to be able to better locate a pass.

Bring on the mancs. I need to get this taste out of my mouth.

rab

Toro said:
I blame Rodgers for sending out four central defenders.
So if you take the concern about Enrique as genuine what are your options? Wisdom or Kelly at right back instead of Kolo? Well both of them are primarily centre backs by trade. Sakho has also played left back quite a bit including for France so this notion of Rodgers electing to go with four centre backs in bullshit.

Also notice most people arguing against starting Wisdom at right back before the game, and seen plenty of suggestions to play Sakho at left back too so Rodgers obviously ins't the only one to have had the same thoughts.

Johnson and Cissokho injured and Enrique carrying a knock, what else should he do? Play one of the kids and get slaughtered if that decision went wrong too.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Can't put that defence and midfield together and expect to dominate the game. Poor management really.

Had Enrique and Alberto been on the pitch from the start we'd have had a better chance at holding onto the ball and creating a few chances. If Enrique wasn't fit, try something out of the ordinary. Henderson or throw Kelly back in there, get some energy on one of the flanks, this was a predicatble disaster waiting to happen. No idea what Rodgers was thinking at all here, buck stops with him

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Well, that wasn't great to watch but I hope Brendan is getting his "experiments" out of his system now. We have no options at RB and LB through Sakho and Toure - they are CBs. Might have been better to try Kelly today. To be fair Enrique wasn't very good when he did come on.

Midfield was lacklustre - no creative talent on display and Sturridge was definitely not playing with conviction up front. Maybe he has been told that Luis is going to play CF on Teusday?....who knows but BR needs to pick them up and deal with it. This is his squad and he must get them playing again.....

RazvanLFC

Any team would struggle without its chance creators. Suarez Coutinho Johnson. 2 defeats at anfield in 2013 it`s not the end of the world.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
I'll say this for now and return after 10+ hours of calming therapy: 2 issues and both have to do with our midfield.

it's obvious our problem is the midfield and we can't even control the ball. Our captain is either unable to play as long, going through some bad spell or (most likely) teams outnumber us in the midfield. We need another midfielder and return to 442 or even the famous Rafa set up that got us to the most PL point tally ever.

Oh, almost forgot the 2nd issue: Where was our captain playing then when we destroyed ManU and Real? If Rafa were here he'd be playing behind the striker and scoring himself. One of the best managers we've ever had assessed that our captain could play well in his late 30s by playing upfront. But no, Brendan does not agree.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Continuing our run of poor performances only this time without the jammy win. Sadly true. What happened to high pressing, passing, possession based football? I'm not even gonna talk about the 4 centre backs... jesus...

Roshi98

liverpool_singh said:
What would you have liked to have seen? Enrique had a minor knock, Johnson is out, Kelly played a full 90' on Wednesday and isn't yet fully fit. It doesn't seem all that baffling when you look at what we had. Maybe play three at the back but then, again, Alberto and Sterling both played 90' on Wednesday. I think we just had an off day and were limited in options. Currently there isn't a truly creative player in the side but with Suarez returning - let's not forget he's tireless in tracking back as well as pressing forward, which will help the midfielders - we should see a better turn of results and performances moving ahead.

Lykh

I'm sure br had a better dossier on what to expect from Southampton than the one we had on this site but he had failed to tactically set a side up to counter the evident pressing from Southampton and they successfully disrupt our possession.

The distinct lack of width on flank (sakho for Enrique ??) and the failure to control the midfield with trio of Lucas n Gerard n hendo means we have trouble creating chances through out.

I'd like some expert view on what exactly is BR trying to do with that line up.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Absolutely shocking today. The only person to come out of it with any credibility were Mignolet, Sakho and Henderson for me. The rest looked like they didn't care or were just dreadful. Aspas shouldn't be playing for us till next year, he needs to get some muscle and then get a new chance. Currently he offers nothing at all, whatsoever to the team and I've never said that before about one of our players.

Reflecting on the result in the context of the season so far, it kind of fits. So far we've been a bit lucky and could well have had 3-4 points less. We've never really played well and have been getting worse as the season progresses. Today showed our deficiencies which have been concealed by luck during the previous games. Frankly, we look far worse compared to the second half of last season. Hopefully Suarez coming back will give us a lift, we certainly need it. Points wise we're not in a bad position, but our performances really need to improve rapidly for us to reap the benefits.

Piss-poor performance. No energy, no movement, just really bad football from our side.

I can't really understand the point of bringing in Alberto and loan Suso to Almeria. Suso would be a great player to have in the squad, and we would have another attacking option to bring on, especially in a game like this.

malik79

TIA Reserve Team
Not electing to start with Enrique is a baffling move by Rodgers. Our full backs ( Enrique and Johnson) are probably the best in the league. The fact that we are missing Johnson and Cotinho i think it would have been a no brainer to have Jose in the starting line up today. Startling managerial tactics. Still a novice if you ask me.

rab said:
So if you take the concern about Enrique as genuine what are your options? Wisdom or Kelly at right back instead of Kolo? Well both of them are primarily centre backs by trade. Sakho has also played left back quite a bit including for France so this notion of Rodgers electing to go with four centre backs in bullshit.

Also notice most people arguing against starting Wisdom at right back before the game, and seen plenty of suggestions to play Sakho at left back too so Rodgers obviously ins't the only one to have had the same thoughts.

Johnson and Cissokho injured and Enrique carrying a knock, what else should he do? Play one of the kids and get slaughtered if that decision went wrong too.
Play Kelly at RB and Enrique at LB. Not that hard really. Although Kelly may have technically started off as a CB in the youth teams the majority of first team games he has played has been at RB (in which he has done a pretty good job). He was fit enough to be on the bench 2 games in a row and played the full 90mins in the U21 game earlier in the week. Also where did you get this story about Enrique suffering a knock? He didn't seem to be doing too bad running around in the 2nd half. Also Aspas not playing in a role where he has really struggled so far this season would have been another logical move.

yiannos33

Believe
Absolutely awful, from the starting line-up,to our midfield,defense, other than Moses no other thred up front today.
Mignolet made some good saves to keep the score low.
(Could of been different if we got the clear penalty in the 1st half.)
Only good news is we have Suarez back.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Well, reality time has arrived!

It was nice being top but we knew it was only temporary! We are still a work in progress, and today it showed! But, well done Southampton, a deserved win.

Onwards and ahem, well, upwards - hopefully!!!

The 'f' word returns - FRUSTRATION. But this loss will work in our favor so don't descend into gloomy waters!!!

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
For the love of God, that team would be how BR should put out, if he don't want to win a bloody game:

- do not use out best CB pairing, who got last 10 or so clean sheet since pre-season despite both starting
- play 4 CB and reduce out defense and attack outwide
- move out main goal threat out wide when a) he has been scoring all goals from center play, b )Chelsea tried it, and it does not work
- have no AM, nor DM, we have 3 CM who not quite play high enough to link up with attacks, and not low enough to defend back 4
- when cross and corner do not work AT ALL, repeat it hope it will work

jabu

TIA New Signing
well we have had this result coming to be honest.... our middfield is crap and im being nice here....i dont know what needs to be done to be honest, we jus seem to lack quality in so many areas and i think the past wins clouded us a little... u have a big problem when ur biggest scoring threat is toure.... But onward and upward, come on LFC figure urselves out, on to the next one!!!!

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
This feels like the bubble has burst completely, I have been looking at the next few fixtures thinking they are all winnable and how we could stay top or at least up there for quite a while yet and then suddenly 5 points dropped in less than week. Plus the fact we looked utter shite, no positives from this game at all, I despair, just when things are looking up that same old disappointing feeling comes along.

steve10

TIA New Signing
Rodgers is playing Gerrard in the wrong position. He is the only midfield player likely to score and should be further up the field. Plus his legs have gone and he cannot play the role he is being currently asked to play.

ReRangles

The sad thing I felt is that not for 1 minute did we look like we wanted to win it. At Liverpool players should always want 3 points, every player needs to be hungry for success.

At the beginning of the first half Lucas was coping but then Southampton started pressurising him more and the support he gained from Gerrard was severely lacking. People can say we shouldn't blame 4 defenders but they struggled to cope with the wingers. Sakho played well but often struggled to watch a wingers run.

The top three were very selfish in the way they played. Moses was probably the best of the three but often run into dead ends instead of looking for the easy pass.

All in all we did not look like a team capable of being positioned where we are, this year we will have to fight hard for 4th.