• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 1-0 Flamengo (WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 76 61.3%
  • Keita [on 99’]

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [off 120+1’]

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Firmino [GOAL 98’, off 105’]

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • Lallana [on 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Milner [on 99’]

• Origi [on 105’]

• Shaqiri [on 120+1’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Looks hot tbf, a real pity that we're only allowed to wear that badge on our shirts when we are playing champions league.

I thought the gold badge was ours to wear on the shirt in all competitions for a year. Wrong!
The EPL doesn't allow FIFA emblems to be worn and the FA Cup demand an application in writing?!.
That's disappointing. Not that I care for the look of our kits with the shield but I was hoping we could don them for the matches against the two mancs and the bitters. Maybe we could do it for the FA tie?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor

This is so lovely. I love the backdrop over Doha Corniche (habour).
Part of me can't get over what someone like Elliott must be thinking right now. 16 years old, joining the Champions of Europe from a Championship club, in his first six months at the club has already received two winners' medals before Christmas. Does he think this is normal? Does he realise how special this is and how lucky he is to be coming to Liverpool at this precise moment in time? Will he appreciate it, or take it for granted?

I also think that sometimes I overthink things :ROFLMAO:

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Part of me can't get over what someone like Elliott must be thinking right now. 16 years old, joining the Champions of Europe from a Championship club, in his first six months at the club has already received two winners' medals before Christmas. Does he think this is normal? Does he realise how special this is and how lucky he is to be coming to Liverpool at this precise moment in time? Will he appreciate it, or take it for granted?

I also think that sometimes I overthink things :ROFLMAO:
If Elliot gets too cocky, then Klopp will bring him down to earth teach him humility.
I am sure he is a good boy and he is surrounded by excellent mentors in the senior players.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
We played at the same time Leicester were chasing shadows at Abu Dhabi and we'll have 5 days recovery time which is ample. We went be flying home on a crop sprayer either.
As for Wolves they actually play Abu Dhabi the day after Boxing Day so will have less than 48 hours rest before playing us so we should have an advantage there.
Cheers mate. That has calmed me down.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Just watching the Highlights: The look of incredulity, utter disbelief on Mane`s face after the ref and VARs refused the penalty was brilliant !!

Has anyone an explanation as to why the foul wasnt even given (Im mean proper explanation and not that the ref has brain failure)

Maria

Ad-free Member
No matter we think of the organisation FIFA personally and the way it is run, the name has a powerful and massive international football status. The fact we won a FIFA world trophy is a huge status symbol added to our club.

I mean Ronaldo in Juventus is playing the Coca Cola cup in Riyadh. I mean it kind rings hollow to me

vzok

We’ve just become World Champions, but the BBC couldn’t be arsed to show the highlights on MOD!! What the fuck!
BBC will soon launch their replacement for the faulty red button service following complaints about programmes being cut off. Welcome to the all new Light Blue Button live from Salford. Innovation from your BBC, in your area (but obviously not there).

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Just watching the Highlights: The look of incredulity, utter disbelief on Mane`s face after the ref and VARs refused the penalty was brilliant !!

Has anyone an explanation as to why the foul wasnt even given (Im mean proper explanation and not that the ref has brain failure)
Well to my eyes there was no contact. If there was it was minimal. Much prefer to win the game the way we did rather than a controversial and ridiculously soft pen.

Noo Noo

Best defensive display of the season for me Gomez and VVD were immense, Henderson what a huge performance. Just hope we have energy to beat Leicester.

The only down side the Ox's injury.
Agree. I had forgotten that its Leicester next. certainly not the kindest fixture to be coming back to.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Well to my eyes there was no contact. If there was it was minimal. Much prefer to win the game the way we did rather than a controversial and ridiculously soft pen.

It was a clear foul.

If you're taking a shot and somebody kicks your kicking foot, all it takes is a slight clip for you to be put completely out of kilter, hence why he spooned it a mile wide.

It was a free kick and red card. Farcical that it wasn't given.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.

It was a clear foul.

If you're taking a shot and somebody kicks your kicking foot, all it takes is a slight clip for you to be put completely out of kilter, hence why he spooned it a mile wide.

Ok, looking at that I am wrong. Looked minimal contact to my eyes when I watched the replay. But can't argue with that photo or your assessment.Spot on as always ILLOK.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

It was a clear foul.

If you see clearly, Mane is the one stepping on Rafinha's foot. And so he should have been given red card. Its clear that Fifa, Uefa, PL, FA, Refree and Var are clearly conspiring against the poor, penny less underdogs Mancity. ;)

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Fairly classic dynamic for this cup and its predecessor. European clubs don't trust a South American ref, South American clubs don't trust a European ref, so most of the best refs in the world are ruled out. The South American brings working the referee into the game, and most of the time the refs for these matches simply aren't at the level to manage the game, recognize the play-acting, etc. This one was particularly poor, plus he was generally calling a style that massively favoured the Brazilian 'no contact' game to begin with. The referee for this final really has to be just about the highest rated American or Asian referee, and even then it is going to be a stretch.

All part of what makes it a difficult trophy to win.
FIFA seem to have little difficulty finding suitable referees for the World Cup finals that South Americans and Europeans can all agree on. Obviously the choice of ref was a sop to the host nation, but it made a mockery of the final. You wouldn't want him reffing a Sunday morning park game let alone the World Club Cup final.

LFCFFC

Well this is just bloody amazing...3 trophies in 6 months and we're only just getting started. This squad is really something else. I couldn't be prouder of the lads and it's brilliant to see them, Klopp and the coaching staff finally getting some reward for years of hard work.

Unfortunately I was only limited to watching the replay this morning but from what I can tell we were the better side and probably should've iced the game earlier. It's also hardly surprising that they were snide pricks, and how Rafinha's tackle wasn't a red I'll never know. It's almost disappointing we won't get to see that little tosser come to Anfield.

Back to the PL grind now, lot's more games to slug out over the next couple of weeks. Keep that lead in tact over the festive season and set our sights on the biggest trophy yet.

Maria

Ad-free Member
I know we all want That one at the end of the season, but I I am not saying anything. Anything can happen from now till May 2020. I am still traumatised by that 2014 season. We were so close last year.

We stay focused, one game at a time, until it is mathematically done.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
The referee watched a replay of the moment Mane kicked the ball, which you are right there was no contact at that moment, the contact was a millisecond before it as he went to strike the ball.

There is an angle directly in front of them (which the referee was not shown) that quite clearly shows Rafinha's leg block Mane from swinging.
Just saw this video

Had this been an opposing player, I'd have called this a dive. Every replay indicates no contact.

That said, just saw that one angle you mentioned and that was very clear contact. Rafinha was apologising too. Hahahaha

Dammed VAR room saw the wrong video... Idiots

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Except how on Earth is he going change his mind in a 180 from a penalty to not even a foul if he doesn't have a tv to look at?
This was a textbook example for everything that is wrong with FIFA, for political reasons they appointed a ref who normaly referee’s camel 1 against standheep 1. An idiot with a big ego, what could possible go wrong .......

Btw in a few days there will be a statement from FIFA that he did an excellent job.

Flobs

FADA
All I want to know now, after the match, is where the hell did they find that CRT television smaller than the refs head and why didn't he need special glasses to view it? o_O

Falcon51

Strike Hard, Strike Fast, Strike to Win
I was unable to watch this game live in the states but my cable company is showing replays today. I think it’s pretty awesome winning another title and trophy. For me the ultimate goal of this season will be to see the Reds win the Premier League championship! I knew last season this was a really special team I was having the privilege to watch and root for especially since the 2018/19 season was my very first as a fan! Now the only thing to make this Christmas Holiday better is for the boys to crush Leicester on the 26th. GO REDS!