Post Match: Liverpool 1-0 Flamengo (WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 76 61.3%
  • Keita [on 99’]

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [off 120+1’]

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Firmino [GOAL 98’, off 105’]

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • Lallana [on 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Milner [on 99’]

• Origi [on 105’]

• Shaqiri [on 120+1’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raven

TIA New Signing
It's only a matter of time before someone disrespects the "Flaming Moe's" episode of the Simpsons.

jabu

TIA New Signing
for me the biggest benefactor of this whole trip and games was joe gomez. you could see the joe gomez pre-injury for the first time. it was nice to see the confidence grow.. matip will have a hard time reclaiming his position if joe continues like this

Last edited:

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
still waking up with a massive (no, it's not what you are thinking), grin and feeling so good that we are Super Cup, European Champions and World Club Cup champions and all this in the space of about 40 weeks.
great respect to Benitez for the congratulatory message to our club,
wonderful and joyous to see our lads celebrating in Doha.

GaryC

Congratulations to Jürgen and the boys for winning the CWC. If you take into consideration the challenges they had to go through to win it :
- adjust to another climate and continent
- play basically unfamiliar opponents
- depleted of key players - Vvd and Fab
all this within 4 days and in the midst of our most hectic PL period - the amazingness of this accomplishment is hugely magnified!
Merry Christmas all!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Just asking your opinion. My footie mate missed the match but watched it today. He is thinking the referee was very partial to Flamengo and was 'got to', his expression, as if FIFA wanted Flamengo wanted to win the tournament.

Do you think so?
I don't think that he was consciously biased, or ordered by FIFA to favour Flamengo. Otherwise he wouldn't have given us a penalty in extra-time. However, his behaviour favoured Flamengo on several accounts:
  • he applied a standard for minimal physical contact, something more usual in South American football (and maybe in Qatar?).
  • he didn't react much to obvious gamesmanship like feigning injury, 'having cramps' in order to gain time or disturb the opposition's playing rhythm.
  • he hesitated to hand out yellow cards in situations when he needed to stamp down his authority. A strong referee would have done that early in the game.
In short, he was a weak ref, and Flamengo realised this very quickly and took advantage out of it. But our players noticed this too with time going by. The way how Robertson clattered Rafinha during the second half is an example of that. He'd never got away with that in the CL for instance. And Hendo rapidly understood that he had to get in the ref's ears all the time, as the Flamengo players did it all the time too.

That's the good thing with our boys these days: they learn from situations and adapt to them, even though they might be unsavoury and against their usual way of practicing football.

LeoT

Glad we won, but I'm still absolutely fuming at the ref.

You wouldn't trust an 8 year old with a F1 car, and you shouldn't trust this inexperienced ref with a world cup final.

Whats the point of having VAR with the ability to view incidents from about 10 angles, but then looking at the same poor angle that can not show the contact multiple times, whilst ignoring all the other good angles that do show the contact?
Even if the was a clean tackle (which it wasn't), it was still a tackle from behind, Liverpool players were constantly being pulled up for tackling from behind all game long, but this tackle was deemed ok???
Also, if its a foul then its a RED card, simple as that.

What were all those blokes doing in the VAR van? ....my bet is on smoking weed, and playing cards.
They were deffo not watching the Liverpool game.

Maria

FIFA Club Champions of The World
Ad-free Member
Glad we won, but I'm still absolutely fuming at the ref.

You wouldn't trust an 8 year old with a F1 car, and you shouldn't trust this inexperienced ref with a world cup final.

Whats the point of having VAR with the ability to view incidents from about 10 angles, but then looking at the same poor angle that can not show the contact multiple times, whilst ignoring all the other good angles that do show the contact?
Even if the was a clean tackle (which it wasn't), it was still a tackle from behind, Liverpool players were constantly being pulled up for tackling from behind all game long, but this tackle was deemed ok???
Also, if its a foul then its a RED card, simple as that.

What were all those blokes doing in the VAR van? ....my bet is on smoking weed, and playing cards.
They were deffo not watching the Liverpool game.
Lol! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:(y):D

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
The reds are now unstoppable and are stomping all over every single club that try get in our way on our march to dominance...

This is our perch, we are back on top of it and it's going to be unbearable for every non LFC fan on the planet!!

Enjoy this run while it last as this team is on a once in a generation type of winning run. Take in every second of it, watch the games live when you can, stay off Twitter and all the negativity that surrounds social media, embrace these players and make sure you gloat and celebrate in the most unbearable and OTT manner possible!

Last edited:

Freeman

for me the biggest benefactor of this whole trip and games was joe gomez. you could see the joe gomez pre-injury for the first time. it was nice to see the confidence grow.. matip will have a hard time reclaiming his position if joe continues like this
I think it was a Matip-esque performance. Going with the ball forward and yes Matip will have to fight back for his place.

Commando

Ad-free Member

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
In the case of anything significant happening around May in terms of the wall needing updating, would we change the number below the existing trophy? Or would we have a new trophy with “1” underneath?
I expect they will change number to 19 and trophy to premier league. Might piss off some of the football started in 1992 types as a bonus.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I don't think that he was consciously biased, or ordered by FIFA to favour Flamengo. Otherwise he wouldn't have given us a penalty in extra-time. However, his behaviour favoured Flamengo on several accounts:
  • he applied a standard for minimal physical contact, something more usual in South American football (and maybe in Qatar?).
  • he didn't react much to obvious gamesmanship like feigning injury, 'having cramps' in order to gain time or disturb the opposition's playing rhythm.
  • he hesitated to hand out yellow cards in situations when he needed to stamp down his authority. A strong referee would have done that early in the game.
In short, he was a weak ref, and Flamengo realised this very quickly and took advantage out of it. But our players noticed this too with time going by. The way how Robertson clattered Rafinha during the second half is an example of that. He'd never got away with that in the CL for instance. And Hendo rapidly understood that he had to get in the ref's ears all the time, as the Flamengo players did it all the time too.

That's the good thing with our boys these days: they learn from situations and adapt to them, even though they might be unsavoury and against their usual way of practicing football.
I think the "penalty" incident summed him up to be honest.
On first look definite pen, had to be given but had insurance policy of VAR.
Second look (after VAR) obviously no penalty.
But now he has had time to reconsider.
It should be a free kick and a red card, or a goal kick.
Why is it a drop ball?
Its an easy way out, totally biased decision.
He was surely favouring Flamengo, no one could be that casually inept (towards one side)?

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Fellow world champions are doing good and are feeling on top of the world.
Great for me. Day was set up nicely on Tuesday when my wifes Oncologist informed us that her Lung cancer tumour had actually shrunk by 25% ! Then to there was the CWC victory which I watched with my son and his family in Wales and the the day itself spent with my daughterand her 4 grown up kids and their 4 offspring, all under 6. Fabulous time , best Christmas ever followed by that great Boxing day game and finally the win over Wolves. The whole package was just unbelievable. I could not have asked for more.

Maria

FIFA Club Champions of The World
Ad-free Member
I was watching the highlights of the final again.
I thought Flamengo were a technically, a brilliant side. I really think we had a very tough and worthy opponent in the final, compared to other finals.

Does anyone think so?

[email protected]

I was watching the highlights of the final again.
I thought Flamengo were a technically, a brilliant side. I really think we had a very tough and worthy opponent in the final, compared to other finals.

Does anyone think so?
To be honest Maria, the only thing I have been wondering about Flamengo is whether their fans are still singing their song about us!