Post Match: Liverpool 1-0 Flamengo (WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 76 61.3%
  • Keita [on 99’]

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [off 120+1’]

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Firmino [GOAL 98’, off 105’]

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • Lallana [on 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Milner [on 99’]

• Origi [on 105’]

• Shaqiri [on 120+1’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macca1970

A tough two games. Got through it with a trophy. Hope the Ox is ok.

But of course, a joke of a tournament continues. A refereeing team out of their depth. The ref in teh first few minutes was trying to amke a name for himself, woth his over the top gestures. As to be expected, a lot of playacting from Flamengo, with the ref buying everything.

As for the Mane VAR decision, it was obvioous Mane was disturbed from his shot. His trigger foot was clipped. But it was proabably outside the box, so a frekick at a minimum. The ref at the VAR screen seemed to be given only a view from the nback angle and a freeze frame for a lonmg time. A joke.

Klopp was going mental with the constant awards for freekicks for absolutely nothing. We really should have finished off the game in the first 5 mins, but Flamengo are a good team when they get going. they did tactically well to not isolalte any one on ones with Mane and Salah.

Ox and Keita were too far from Henderson to get any fluidity going. There was Becker, then out back four, with Henderson on the ball, and then Keita and Ox stationed 40 metres away. On occasions when we countered, we failed to use TAA and Andy. Many times we looked for an eye of the needle pass through the middle.

But I felt that the win was never in doubt. Just a matter of time. Well done lads. Take a little day off for Christmas, and then on to Leicester.

Notasuperfan

I probably can't comment on the match without swearing so much it makes Scott blush, so I'll restrict myself to saying I'm over the moon we've won this trophy for the first time in our history, and a great goal from Bobby to win it, and a determined performance from us in the face of utter shithousery from the opponents and referee... nope, I'm about to go off on one there.

So fucking get in, and I hope it will be a long time before we play south American opposition, or with this ref, again. Up the reds!
What are you talking? We are going to win the CL in Istanbul again so that we can have Istanbul 2019!

Commando

Ad-free Member
Is that you Scott?o_O
Haha that was the first thing I thought. Then I checked the username. So, so, so,, so made up with this win. Watched it in a bar in Fuerteventura lots of Citoil fans around me watching their game and wishing us all the best for and English/European win. Loads of Reds like as well.

Usually on the karaoke on Saturday when I’m here but just off home for tea and an early night.

macca1970

I was surprised by how well Flamengo played. I mean, the best Brazilian players all play in UK/Europe. This side was very well organized. They took the ball from us consistently. They were fast in the buildup and created some very high quality chances, even if their finishing was somewhat indicative of the lower quality (not that ours was much better tbf). Much closer match than I expected.

And Hendo. Getting better with age. Lots of great passing, not just on the goal. And he almost scored one himself.

I do think tonight offered some perspective on our constant criticism of English refereeing.
Why surprised? Even if you don't follow South American football, all the reports from the build up explained what a good run they are on. Unless you meant you just assumed they are crap as Brazil export all their best players. But then you're just stereotyping the mentality from the 1980s.