Post Match: Liverpool 1-0 Flamengo (WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 76 61.3%
  • Keita [on 99’]

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [off 120+1’]

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Firmino [GOAL 98’, off 105’]

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Mane

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • Lallana [on 75’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Milner [on 99’]

• Origi [on 105’]

• Shaqiri [on 120+1’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
All those chances, all those missed chances. After the first 5 - 10 minutes, I thought that this match is going to be fairly routine (turned out to be the "routine" squeaky bum time).

Flamengo kept us honest throughout the game, with unfavourable called by the ref against us (but of course I am bias!). Very surprised by the non-penalty call...I thought that it should be a free kick to our boys at the end (correct call that it was not a pen). Hendo could also ended the game earlier with a fantastic strike, only stopped by the Flamengo's keeper. However, the outcome is more satisfying with a proper goal, a beautiful pass from Hendo to Mane, and a perfect ping to Bobby.

I was concerned with the stress on Virg, just recovering from illness, having to put in another 30 minutes. I also missed the injury to Ox. What's happened? My heart sank when I saw the stretcher being brought on but lifted a bit when he managed to get off on his own. Though, it was sad to see him in crutches hobbling onto the field to pick up his medal and trophy.

It's really nice to see our Brazilian boys doing well: One stopping Flamengo shots (though his distribution today was not too great), and the other scoring the goal. Bobby reserved his shirt off from last game just for today! Ali lifting the trophy with a lot of gusto.

My 3 picks:

1. Bobby: Several missed chances. Calmly controlled the ball, deke around the keeper to score a nicely built-up goal. Came back to defend massively at 53rd minute. Pity that he was subbed at the end of 1st half of Extra Time, he did not get a standing ovation like Mo.

2. Hendo: Did not really put a foot wrong. He looked pretty gassed at the end of the game. Commanding presence in the mid. Great blocks when needed. Excellent long balls pinged forward, and one that ended up to Mane, then Bobby for the goal.

3. Mane: Flamengo defence must have hated playing against Mane. He is such a threat with the ball in the opposition half. His pressing was quite good too, not allowing the Flamengo's defence to have any breathing space.

Shout out to Gomez and Keita.
Gomez - Very sound defensively, especially when TAA was passed or caught on the wrong side of the ball. Though his forward passes tends to put the midfield under pressure (could be the weight of his pass in general?)
Keita - Feisty, combative. He has a bit of nasty steak in him during the game. But it was also a bit of a concern that the ref could send him off.

Last edited:

Danny_

To be honest, it's a bit of a joke of a trophy. Nobdy thinks Flamego are up there with any of the elite teams in Europe. Nevertheless, we went there and won it. Just hope Ox is ok. Other than that, get back home to the real business ahead of making sure we don't slip up in the league and winning the CL tie.

jaffod

Only saw the extra-time due to being in work. Got to the club just in time for the penalty incident, referee bottled it imo and knew if he gave us the decision, even a free-kick, he'd have to send the defender off.
Right from the start of extra-time it looked like it was only a matter of time before we scored. Great goal when it came and Hendo was fucking brilliant, took his time and didn't panic before playing a great ball to Mane. Great composure from Bobby.
Need to get home tomorrow, put the medals away and concentrate on Leicester. Worried about Ox but he seems fine in the video's knocking about, maybe out a couple of weeks but we're pretty well stocked in midfield so should cope ok.
That's payback for 1981. Might shut them up about it now, after all it's only been 38 years.
Looking forward to George playing 'We Are The Champions' before the Wolves game, it's been too long....

OzzyKop

Just Glad with the win but that ref was not very good getting conned by Flamengo players hope he does not take charge of a big game in the future not experience enough by falling to tricks by players. I know i will get massacred in here by saying that BUT Mo Salah did not do anything today lost almost every ball he received and was contained in most part by flamengo. Thank god Bobby did not pass it to him and had a crack himself, I might get shot for saying that on here but If we get good money for him in the summer i would not mind a trade up. Hope Ox recovers quickly and i thought Gomez and Hendo were very very solid.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I would be surprised if we don’t see the Ox over the festive period, the fact he walked off would suggest a slight twist nothing more

Mind you did you notice the healing properties of Firmino’s goal, not Flamengo player got cramp after he scored.

Last edited:

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
We’ve conquered all of the world!
We’re never going to stop!
From Spain down to Qatar.
We’ve won the fucking lot!

Those cramping Brazilian cheaters.
And that fuck wit Al Jassim.
Couldn’t stop our nutter Bobby
And the scousers backing him!
Allez! Allez! Allez!

alaskared

Kloppite
Didn't really enjoy that until Bobby did the business.
Hendo was my MOTM , I wish his shot had gone in....
Gomez was excellent and of course so good to have Bobby back and firing.

Within the first 30 minutes I the ref lost the plot then got worse and worse. It's already been a good double this season, hopefully at least a treble by the time we are done. Onward!

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
Not quite sure why folks complain about the non foul on Mane.
Cause it was a foul. You can see from the VAR slow motion that Mane was in pain before he got his shot away. In live time it looked a clear foul and nothing from the replays made me feel otherwise. I’m sure the referee heard the contact of Rafinha’s boot making contact with Mane’s boot. That’s why he gave it. The moment got to him while watching the replay. I’ve reffed enough matches to know the sound is what makes you blow the whistle in that moment. I have no doubt Rafinha caught Mane.

The contact did start out of the box but it should have been a free kick outside and a red card for rafinha. He had no business diving in from behind like that and get any other outcome.
How Rafinha finished that match without a booking is one of life’s great mysteries.