• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United

boogieonalice

TIA Regular
Mascot88 said:
...Coutinho is struggling by virtue of being the only creative attacking threat we have - teams can make him out if the game not really needing to worry about anyone else, and playing on the left is not great for him as teams find it easy to push him to the margins. Lets get Moses in to provide a proper left winger, and get Coutinho into the centre. When Suarez is back he'll get some time as space as well...
spot on. Coutinho is the only one forward at the moment who can think as quickly & creatively as himself. With Suarez missing, and Gerrard playing so deep, there has been no one at the top to compliment his intelligence. This happened to us a few seasons ago with Aqui- the few times he did play, Gerrard was not on the pitch, and he was the most intelligent player on the field. His creativity outsmarted defenses, but it also outsmarted his teammates.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Oh on a side note, it was also nice to see a big game not ruined by stupid ref decisions. Thought Marinner had a very good game.

WrongIslander

SoueysTash said:
My thoughts on this game:

Coutinho, having that period we all thought he would at such a tender age. Not a lot happened for him since the start of the season but he'll pick up again

Thought he was okay. We expect him to be a world beater but he played with tenacity and a great attitude and didn't do a whole lot wrong. Frustrated United and won a fair few important freekicks though he's still not a 90 minute player at this level.

Aspas: Really not convinced by him, like his mettle but in terms of keeping the ball and playing 'well' he's just not doing it up front

Agreed, will be important as a squad player but I won't be too upset not to see him in the "bigger games" till he puts on a few pounds.

Lucas: Great game, really great game...so much improved over his performance at Villa

Still gives away shockingly stupid freekicks at times that could be costly in the future but yeah very much improved.

Skrtel/Agger: Massive difference to previous performances. I'm sure the fact we have a potential french national captain CB on the sidelines helped with this. Will it be Skrtels last match? Doubtful...think we'll be going three at the back at some point this year.

Interesting theory and one with its merits.

General: We seem to have gone from spanking people to running out close wins, not complaining but I think a bit more of a happy medium between defensive play and forward play needs to be found. Think we look STRONG defensively, we didn't look like conceding today at all, we stopped them playing and even without the ball it was fairly comfortable.

Look at our front 4 and the only one you'd back to score is Sturridge, he needs help up there.

BR appears to have stopped us being flat bullied in matches which is a relief, good basis to push on. I only hope that we hold Sturridge back from England duty
You'd have to think we will bring in another striker. Rodgers must think that if anything happens to Sturridge if he is loaning out Borini, he literally has no CF. Aspas? Maybe but as you say he's not up to it yet.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Fantastic first half display, and a fantastic result.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Over the moon with this, might have been ugly but who cares!

9 pts and top after 3, been a while!
Take1-0 anytime, but don't know whether the heart can. Never been a fan of defending 1 goal, but what the hell.
Pleased to see Skrtel have a good game, hope he's not out on the last day, showed he can play a role for us, as the season goes on.
Hendo showed why he should be here, and playing, he's maturing as a player as some of us thought he would.
Good team effort by the lads,with new players coming in and Luis to return the future is looking bright.

vincef

rab said:
Nice win, though we didnt even bother to play in the second half, just kept waiting for United to attack. Very boring game but eh, that's 3 points. A bit worried by Coutinho who was really useless today, maybe the game was too physical for him !

Some people simply look to find the negatives in anything. Coutinho was very good first half but was obviously targeted by United, particularly after he mugged off Giggs. Second half his involvement dropped off and was rightly replaced but the lad is 21 so maybe cut him some slack.

As for not bothering to play, we held onto our lead. Defending is a big a part of playing the game as attacking. If you found that boring I suggest you take up watching another sport.
If you cant accept your team being criticized , or people having a different view of football than yours, I suggest you avoid message boards all over the Internet...We are here to exchange, so let's agree to disagree sometimes and we should be fine.

lfc.8

Great result. Perfect start to the season.

A number of players played well. Impressed with Skrtel. Still believe he's a good player. Though Rodgers appears to think differently.

Blackadda

TIA Youth Team
Fantastic game and I started watching just too late to see the goal :(

Our back 4 were fantastic especially holding out in that last half, glad to see Skrtel put in that sort of performance with Ilori and Sakho on the sidelines.

Our mids were also great, the only weak link was Aspas in the first half and coutinho fading a bit in the second.

I thought Sterling was a bit lightweight and got pushed off the ball too easy when he came on but he still had a good shot on goal right at the end.

Wisdom also covered very well for Johnson, showed real maturity and confidence.

bloody fantastic.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
It was 20th Oct before we got to 9 points last season.

Think we should have a re-run of the 'Can we win the league' thread. :D

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
I really hope Skrtel stays, but there will be a lot of competition with the new signings aswell. Played unreal today.

rab

vincef said:
If you cant accept your team being criticized , or people having a different view of football than yours, I suggest you avoid message boards all over the Internet...We are here to exchange, so let's agree to disagree sometimes and we should be fine.
Let's not rock up as a newby on a message board and start telling people who have been here a lot longer that they should avoid the place.

Your original post was moaning about the team performance and criticising Coutinho just after we'd beaten Man U to maintain our unbeaten start to the season and sit a top the league. If you're whinging at that then I fail to see where you get any enjoyment out of this game.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Think Lucas could still do a lot better as to where he gives the ball.

A few times today I caught him running a short pass into plain trouble. Where the receiving player is just crowded out before he even receives it..........and then we tend to lose it or be drawn into a 50/50 scuffle.

I have seen him be much better at distribution, never raking or splitting, but reliable and tactical with it, but sadly cannot say I have seen these qualities in him since he returned from injury.

Not to point blame but if he were better at this, we would keep the ball easier.........and the more he did it, exponentially greater, and this for lodger and with greater ease. Am beginning to get concerns, in the least keep an eye on it.

GaryStew1980

TIA First Team
So let me get this right, we have won 3 from 3, kept 3 clean sheets, made 3 new signings, gone top of the league, gone 5 clear of Man U after only 3 games, scored more points then them since we last met them in Jan and yet there are still those who are complaining we didn't play great in the second half?

What gets me is a lot of the giving out is coming from those who would have said it was a wonderful defensive performance if Rafa was still in charge and "we showed great character" or something to that affect.

By no means am i getting ahead of myself but last season Man U fans were saying whiskey nose was passed it as they kept scraping 1-0 wins after a poor performance. Where did they finish in the league? I'm not saying we will challange for the league, I still have doubts about CL qualification but we have improved the squad is quite a bit better than last year and our weakness (CB) is now possibly the strongest part of the squad.

The problem is I am still not sure how good we are, we havent played anyone decent yet so its hard to know.

For those giving out about signings crying out for a £30M marquee signing who they have seen once on TV in the CL and a few vids on YouTube, what exactly do you think Sakho is? This is one of, if not the best young defender in Europe, he is exactly the type of defender we have been crying out for, big, physical, good in the air and quick. Moses is underwhelming for some but he knows the PL and he improves what we currently have available, add that to Suarez only being a couple of games away and a week for our guys to get over injury and its all pretty rosey. Stop giving out and just enjoy it.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
GaryStew1980 said:
So let me get this right, we have won 3 from 3, kept 3 clean sheets, made 3 new signings, gone top of the league, gone 5 clear of Man U after only 3 games, scored more points then them since we last met them in Jan and yet there are still those who are complaining we didn't play great in the second half?

What gets me is a lot of the giving out is coming from those who would have said it was a wonderful defensive performance if Rafa was still in charge and "we showed great character" or something to that affect.

By no means am i getting ahead of myself but last season Man U fans were saying whiskey nose was passed it as they kept scraping 1-0 wins after a poor performance. Where did they finish in the league? I'm not saying we will challange for the league, I still have doubts about CL qualification but we have improved the squad is quite a bit better than last year and our weakness (CB) is now possibly the strongest part of the squad.

The problem is I am still not sure how good we are, we havent played anyone decent yet so its hard to know.

For those giving out about signings crying out for a £30M marquee signing who they have seen once on TV in the CL and a few vids on YouTube, what exactly do you think Sakho is? This is one of, if not the best young defender in Europe, he is exactly the type of defender we have been crying out for, big, physical, good in the air and quick. Moses is underwhelming for some but he knows the PL and he improves what we currently have available, add that to Suarez only being a couple of games away and a week for our guys to get over injury and its all pretty rosey. Stop giving out and just enjoy it.
I think most people on here would be of the opinion that United, as reigning champions, are decent.

GaryStew1980

TIA First Team
SirBillShankly said:
I think most people on here would be of the opinion that United, as reigning champions, are decent.
I think most would realise it was meant as a joke.

slufsar

still buzzing. gonna be top of the league for a few weeks now!

one thing bothers me tho; with the incredible amount of running done by our midfield trio, shouldnt bringing in another cm be a priority tomorrow? we play with 3cm's every week and only got 4 cm's. they could get really knackered by the end of the season, not to mention potential injuries.

BadboY

Red Forever
It was nerve wrecking to see us hold on to a 1-0 lead like our life depended on it and for once i don't give a damn about the negatives. Absolutely buzzing today.

Highlights:

Sturridge did very well to get onside after going offside goal and what a header by dagger, made a couple of dummy runs to put ferdinand off.

Glenn Johnson's double tackle on carrick and evra, although he fouled them but got away without a card.

Captain fantastic Steven Gerrard getting in rvp's face and calling him a f*cking pr*ck, absolutely loved it.

Dagger did very well to get rvp a yellow card, kept riling him up.

Skrtel was bloody immense in defense, what a performance by him, no one would think he put in this sort of performance without any preseason game and coming back from an injury. Most important was the fact that he came through for us when we needed him the most.

Wisdom, at the end did pretty well to take the ball near the corner and held it wasting important seconds.

Lastly henderson aka our new duracell, kept on running the whole 90+ minutes and never gave up. Defending, pressing, passing etc you name it, he did almost every f*cking thing brilliantly. Finally looking like the 16 mil pound player we all were hoping for.

A perfect tribute to shanks on his 100th birthday.

Long it may continue. (Only with more goals) :D

nowthen

TIA Youth Team
slufsar said:
still buzzing. gonna be top of the league for a few weeks now!

one thing bothers me tho; with the incredible amount of running done by our midfield trio, shouldnt bringing in another cm be a priority tomorrow? we play with 3cm's every week and only got 4 cm's. they could get really knackered by the end of the season, not to mention potential injuries.
Good post that. Probably the only thing to be looked at.

If lucas gets injured or has a dip in form who comes in for him?
If gerrard gets injured who comes in for him?

A lot of options everywhere else apart from those 2 positions

Great team performance today. Its been a couple of years since we stuffed them in the league. Forgot how enjoyable it is.
Aspas was very poor today.

NZred

The Red From NZ
I owe Skittles a little apology. Thought he had a bloody solid game and didn't give RVP the room he so desires.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
NZred said:
I owe Skittles a little apology. Thought he had a bloody solid game and didn't give RVP the room he so desires.
True, did RVP even have an effort at goal?

Riddler

Hi all, just found this site and registered, nice to be here :)

Agree with a few comments about the work rate of our midfield, especially Henderson. Although we do have work rate and speed in abundance in the midfield - I do think we lack a person in the mode of Alonso in there. I know Gerrard is playing a similar role these days and he's fantastic of course.

But Rodgers is doing great work for us and it's so nice to watch a Liverpool team finally getting the ball down and playing attractive football.

Good times ahead I feel.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
CJ_LFC said:
True, did RVP even have an effort at goal?
SoueysTash said:
Yes..last 5 mins, near post chance from a through ball from 10 yards out
He also had a chance in the first half with a bicycle kick that actually wans't that far off. Just miss hit it high towards the lower shin.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
lfc.eddie said:
What's with you and baiting everyone in here? We had a good win, everyone is happy with the result and you go about your high and mighty horses calling out names and such. What's with you?

That's Shankly mate.... far, far from it still.
Already posted my happiness and joy. I also have a memory like an elephant for certain things. As it wasn't directed at you and certainly not baiting (referring to another posters posts) I don't see what it's got to do with you. Not the first time you've pulled me up and sure it won't be the last.

I have NEVER baited everybody on here to quote you.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Backbone - we are starting to look like we have one!

Although a great result the best thing for me was what happened off thepitch after the game - interviews with Rodgers, Sturridge, Skrtel and Mignolet and Werner.

When they were all asked the typical does this mean you think you can challenge for the title - they all said its one game at a time, play well as a team.

Grounded, prepped and organised. While some like to point to past incompetencies there is some indication of the club getting there shit together. From Werner all the way to the players - one message across the board.

Rodgers post match press conference (Lfctv) was particualrly good - his repsonse to the question was brilliant - he half laughed, then said theres still 35 games to go.....looked at the journo like he was an idiot!

Riddler

I take what people are saying about not getting carried away but when you look at our next three games you start to get even more excited.....yes, it's a long old season but a great start will do wonders to the confidence throughout the club and the supporters.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Riddler said:
I take what people are saying about not getting carried away but when you look at our next three games you start to get even more excited.....yes, it's a long old season but a great start will do wonders to the confidence throughout the club and the supporters.
That's the trick don't look at our next three games lets just start with the next one.........its when you start banking points you haven't won yet that shit starts to fall apart:)