• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United

Riddler

Spitfire said:
That's the trick don't look at our next three games lets just start with the next one.........its when you start banking points you haven't won yet that shit starts to fall apart:)
lol...yes very true.
OK then, Swansea away next -- winnable in my opinion.

artanisknarf

lfc.8 said:
Great result. Perfect start to the season.

A number of players played well. Impressed with Skrtel. Still believe he's a good player. Though Rodgers appears to think differently.
I think Skrtel is good for this kind of a game. I like him as a player. If we are going to tiki-taka around teams then he is not your first choice. In a war, and this was a war from first to last minute Skrtel is very good. I am glad we are showing tactical awareness that some games you just have to dig in and grind out.
Rafa did a fair bit of this and Skrtel was good for that. Not sure if there will be an accepted bid from Naaaaaaapoli tomorrow but Skrtel proved his worth today.

huwzie

TIA Regular
Excellent performance. Man U hardly had a sniff. 2nd half we let them have the ball and we looked sloppy at times but we're still closing games out.
All good for a defence without Carragher and Reina. So thats got to be good For the confidence.

Aspas still needs to impress me, and Luis Alberto.

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
It's funny - as a football coach of young players, I'd rather lose by playing well than win by playing ugly.

It's really important that players learn to play proper football at a young age without worrying too much about the win.

But when it comes to senior football, a win, is a win, is a win. And that's all there is too it.

Manchester United have played some of they WORST football ever (stylistically-speaking). Some really eyeball-peeling shiite. Dog-ugly muck that makes me cringe. But they win, and win, and win, and win (well, maybe not any more...hehe).

So stop complaining. It's a win.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Joe90 said:
It's funny - as a football coach of young players, I'd rather lose by playing well than win by playing ugly.

It's really important that players learn to play proper football at a young age without worrying too much about the win.

But when it comes to senior football, a win, is a win, is a win. And that's all there is too it.

Manchester United have played some of they WORST football ever (stylistically-speaking). Some really eyeball-peeling shiite. Dog-ugly muck that makes me cringe. But they win, and win, and win, and win (well, maybe not any more...hehe).

Agree with this 100%

We were the same coaching young fellas - its about equipping them to be able to play the game well for the rest of their time in the game.

I go nuts because you hear idiot parents screaming such gems as 'kick it', 'run', or the worst 'pass it to ...(insert name)' repititively.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The thing is for 70 minutes against Stoke we played some of the most amazing passing football, it's good to shake things up if we need to grind out wins occasionally that is what we do, if we want to turn the style on then we can do.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Joe90 said:

Another great post (again sorry Im out of "likes")

Joe90

Cheers, guys.

And thanks for not calling me out on they typos! ;)

*the typos.

Eccch.

Samwisethebrave

Great result, but we shouldn't get carried away by the performance. The boys defended well and did everything they needed to, but this United side was distinctly average, lacking any creative spark. The positives were the heart and fighting spirit shown. We've always been able to pull the odd brilliant performance out of the hat, but the development of this winning mentality and strength is imho more important at this point then playing pretty football week in and week out.

I watched this and the arsenal game with my gooner mate, great night for both of us!

Rooster

What a hit son
Joe90 said:

More from you please......

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Samwisethebrave said:
Great result, but we shouldn't get carried away by the performance. The boys defended well and did everything they needed to, but this United side was distinctly average, lacking any creative spark. The positives were the heart and fighting spirit shown. We've always been able to pull the odd brilliant performance out of the hat, but the development of this winning mentality and strength is imho more important at this point then playing pretty football week in and week out.

I watched this and the arsenal game with my gooner mate, great night for both of us!
I think thats the best thing - we haven't been 'brilliant' yet. Just very solid - there is improvement still in this team.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
To me, I love watching entertaining beautiful football. But if you are participating in the Premier League, the aim is to win. If we just want to be football entertainers and not win, then we can leave the premier league and become the Harlem Globetrotters of football.

Mrs.Coutinho

Red_IndianLFC said:
This is from the guardian

"Daniel Sturridge's goal at Anfield consigned Moyes's side to a league start of four points from three games. Yet the Scot claimed that on the basis of what he described as United's "best performance" so far, he would not be concerned if no additions were brought in before Monday's deadline. "

Reminds me of how Hodgson was with us.

With Arse winning against spurs we've gone clear at the top and will remain there for a couple of weeks. When was the last time that happened?
Please god let them sign Konchesky and Poulsen

me arse was twitchin lika a spaniards muzzie for the whole second half!!
i screamed when our goal went in then i thought........ oh no an early goal! i actually knew what was going to happen then
admittedly i did not think our defence was going to be up to it, but scary skrtel was ace
the top four teams traditionally in the past can scrape a draw from what looks like a defeat, and a win when a draw looks like is on the cards
early days but early promise!

Soyasource

Its definitely a good sign when we're grinding out wins without playing as well as we potentially can. Compare that to last year where our biggest problem was getting the win we thoroughly deserved. I know which one I prefer!

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
A wonderful win, 3 wins now, 3 clean sheets and top of the table. Same old sinking feeling for old Moyes at Anfield, this time as a manager for a different and more fancied team.

Narrow win, the last 10 - 15 minutes, my heart was in the mouth. When Hernandez played RVP through, I thought we had it. But it simply was not their day. It was ours.

Skrtel my MOTM. What an inspirational performance. Agger was too good and he contributed to the goal. Enrique & Johnson were adequate. Hendo, Gerrrad & Lucas in the midfield had a great game. I am worried that Couti goes missing in such big games. Sturridge and Mingolet were super as always.

International break. Time to fix the injuries and bed the new arrivals (if they don't go back to their countries). Would have been happier had Spurs forced a draw at Emirates. They are IMO our main rivals. Swansea had a good game against WBA. Let's see what they have to offer on 16th when we play them!!

Joe90

Last year we fans (not me actually) were all doom and gloom, but The Brodge hit the nail on the head in the post-match by pointing out the draws the team had - Liverpool didn't actually lose that many games, but the DRAWS killed them.

2 points lost over what was it? 9 games? That's 18 points down the cludgie. Which if they'd been won games would have placed Pool 4th.

So 'grinding out the results' is EXACTLY what's needed, as opposed to grinding out draws.

Now I'm not saying play like Stoke, but if you have to defend for 60 mins solid, then do so.

Remember: in football you win by scoring, and by stopping them from scoring.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
As I said, lets aim to be the first team to score only 38 goals and still win the league! :D :lol:

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Happy with the 3 points, was an ugly game to watch. So many free balls lost, other than Hendo did we win a free ball in the air on their half of the pitch? Big games like this get loose and scrappy, but to be holding a CL spot in 2014 there needs to be some control of the tempo when you have the lead.

Fortunately for us, standout performances by the back line and central mid earned us 3 point which could easily have been lost. Scary moment, when SteveG and Hendo got their wires crossed on that headed clearance I thought it was going to end up a draw.

Center-backs played well, but have to give credit to the outside backs especially my pick for motm - Johnson. Keep him healthy (Lucas, wtf was that tackle?). I'd guess he had the lowest rate of turnovers in the match for the team and make some very key tackles when ManU were threatening a quality chance at tying the game.

At some point, BR will need to figure out he sold that plug Carroll. Keep booting it up the pitch to your 5'7" forwards to challenge Vidic/Ferdinant/Carrick for headers and see how they disappear from the game. Totally ineffective.

PS: Alberto and Sterling. You've got 20 minutes on the pitch. The bench is getting deeper, better make it worth your while or prepare to earn your pay preventing that bench from levitating.

Still....it's 3 points. Just wish it had more substance to it than "gritty".

soberphobia

I was pretty relaxed in the second half. I knew we would try and clog it up and defend. I was curious to see how many clear chances United would get after Benteke got one decent chance for Villa last week i was thinking they may get more as they are undoubtedly a better team. Nani's effort was speculative but worth a go but was only a half chance. Van Persie's chance looked better than it really was. Mignolet had it covered anyway.

We won ugly no doubt about it but we weren't lucky. It was not luck but good system. United played into our hands by playing it out from the back so slowly. Everytime they got to the half way line our defence was set. Poor tactics from Vidic Evra Ferdinand etc. Really would of thought experienced defenders would have been a bit more tactically savvy.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Great result and a good performance to go with it. Every player put in a good shift and we defened better than we have for a long time. Yes we rode are luck at times but it's about time we had the luck go are way.

Now yes it's early in the season but is it not a great feeling that after 3 games we sit top of the pile and 5 points clear of the scum, Very happy at the moment and now starting to think we can have a better season than I had hoped for.

Early days but with three to come in today and a possable one other everything is starting to look a lot brighter.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Spitfire said:
Backbone - we are starting to look like we have one!

Although a great result the best thing for me was what happened off thepitch after the game - interviews with Rodgers, Sturridge, Skrtel and Mignolet and Werner.

When they were all asked the typical does this mean you think you can challenge for the title - they all said its one game at a time, play well as a team.

Grounded, prepped and organised. While some like to point to past incompetencies there is some indication of the club getting there shit together. From Werner all the way to the players - one message across the board.

Rodgers post match press conference (Lfctv) was particualrly good - his repsonse to the question was brilliant - he half laughed, then said theres still 35 games to go.....looked at the journo like he was an idiot!
Yeah I thought their emphasis on the team and on collective winning spirit was impressive. No big stupid calls like 'we can win the league now' (how many times have we heard Carra or Gerrard issue this kind of rubbish after two or three good results...) or the likes of BR's naive statements of last season.

This time around, everyone remains very calm, it's just statements like 'one game at the time', 'the team must continue to work hard', it's all about the team' etc.

The lads seem to have learnt their lesson this time, and yes, this applies to Werner too. Hopefully this new mentality will last during the whole season, and grinding out results by fighting/working hard for each other will remain the most important thing in everyone's mind. Then we have a chance to do really well I reckon, as that famous backbone comes from having genuine team spirit, and a collective hunger to win games.

That's what we have lacked of in recent years, since the 08-09 season.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Lol that guys handle is @moyes_must_go didn't take long for some to turn did it.

Thought Moyes made some strange calls last night, subbing Ashley Young being the first, thought he was their most dangerous player and Nani was ordinary when he came on bar that one laser beam shot.

Would be interesting to see the odds for which EPL manager will get the sack first this season, my money is on the insane one DiCanio but Moyes wouldn't be far behind I dare say.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
gasband said:
Some of these manure fans are jokers. and not funny.

Just shows how uneducated the Mancs fans really are. I bet in a few weeks his profile will be a Chelsea of Man City fan lol

rupzzz

TIA Regular
That Beijing tweeter is hardly a ManU fan. Saw a tweet from his saying if United lost again he'll go support his second team (Man City) or third team (Chelsea).

I think most United fans are disappointed by the performance, and dissapointed at Moyes comments at the end of the game.

Back to us, delighted with the effort put in yesterday. What a great start to the season. Lets hope things continue in this manner and we are still in the mix for top 4 in December. I'm not going to get carried away with this and raise expectations. We are yet to really stamp our authority on a game and bang in a few goals.

What a great Monday morning too might I add, 3 games, 9 points, Ilori and Sakho confirmed, and I won £70 as a result of our win yesterday. Happy.