• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United

TheSweetSilverSong

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2013
Messages
919
Beating United: CHECK!

Sturridge keep scoring: Check!

Turn draws into victories (or, lately, prevent wins from becoming draws/losses): Check!

Winning Ugly: Check!

Clean sheet: Check!

Team Spirit, Grit, and determination: Check!

Birthday present for Shankly and Sturridge: Check!

Is it me, or is this going well? My checklist from things to improve keeps showing boxes ticked every game so far, and I'm loving this. The feel of being top of the table for a couple of weeks is amazing.

Loving the additions to the squad too, as the bench looked very empty yesterday: This is about to change with the new additions and with Suarez returning. Suddenly, Aspas will be an impact player from the bench, along with Sterling. If another attacker is lined up today, so might Moses. And defense seems to be ready to become even fiercer.

I think it will make all the difference when Suarez comes and we have two creators instead of one (Coutinho), and it will make it so much harder for any opposition to restrict delivery to Sturridge. Up to now, they only had to close down Coutinho. If there's Suarez, they'll be splitting their effort. Huge difference. Plus getting different scoring possibilities and not just relying on Sturridge. So I'm not worried that we haven't torn defenses apart yet, nor am I worried about the narrow 1 goal wins.
What I do hope for, is for this to be a new default mentality, this winning one we started showing!
 


Bobbinho

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,700
I think we also need to remember that yesterdays game was one where we had lost Kolo Cissokho & Allen, we knew we were short of options & that this was very much a game to get out of the way with before we added more strength, the fact that we actually won it is surely a sign that we might be on the right track finally, certainly bode's well for our future & has dealt a hammer blow to the mancs.

Another goal would have made for better viewing, but all things considered the result was the all important factor in this game not the performance, with these new additions coming in i think we will be working very hard to improve in certain area's where we seem to drop off or lose our focus esp in the second half, more competition for places seems to be the only way to keep our first team on its toes, too many individual error's and dips in form in recent times which have cost us time & time again, thankfully yesterday we rode it out & that is plenty good enough for me.

Player's who need to improve to keep a first team place are -

Coutinho
Enrique
Lucas
Agger

None of which have showed enough this season to warrant a first team start, obviously Coutinho will be cut more slack than the other's & he should be, but, so far it seems he is very much living off his last season's rep, some nice touches on the ball, but in the role he is playing we definitely need better link up play from him & dare i say it a goal every now & again, lets not forget that Downing was rightly criticized for his lack of assists/link up play & goals also, so more needed from him, we all know he can do better than what we've seen so far this season.

Other than that, i think we should be revelling in our position in the league atm & celebrating this victory over the mancs.

Happy days. :)
 

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
13,633
That one calling Ferguson a traitor is brilliant, he really is a dickhead as I had a look through his tweets, self opinionated wanker not sure what he wants after all Fergie is 71.

I think this did pile the pressure back on Moyes, a draw and he could have pretended it was business as usual but there are issues and any such revision of history will not change that.
 

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
661
GaryStew1980 said:
I think most would realise it was meant as a joke.
And from elsewhere, " we still have yet to beat any of the teams above us".
 

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
3,465
Coutinho has been suffering from very tight,physical, marking due to last seasons great form.He will do better when Luis returns and the opposition have more to think about.
Enrique played most of the match with an injury .Not the most consistent player but on his day vaey good.I think he might struggle to hold a regular place now to be honest.
Lucas did o.k. first half when we were pressing ,always does.His lack of pace and the silly free kicks he gives away concern me though and I think Gerrard is showing what a proper DM should be.
Agger was the Carlsberg MOTM yesterday.
Interesting to look at the teams we have beaten
Stoke are sitting 5th in the table.
Villa beat Arsenal and were cheated out of a deserved point at Chelsea.
Man U have drawn with Chelsea who are currently second.
Only 1-0's but looking pretty good results now.
 



104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
1,618
I watched the MOTD highlights and was surprised to see we were on second - or was I?!?! My wife said 'but you've already watched the match once why watch it again' - clueless! To sit back and enjoy a thoroughly deserved win against Man Ure, thats why, and no doubt a third viewing is on the agenda! Why do women(apologies to those women who are not clueless! - I also know some clueless men too; jeez this political correctness thing is a headache!!!)ask the most pointless of questions!!!

To see a Liverpool team with the fighting spirit we have witnessed is a joy to behold, especially when Stevie G had words with a sulky Van Persie! This team has balls!!!

May turn out to be an interesting season! New signings today sees the squad strengthened further, and we still have Mr Suarez to return................

Happy early days!!!

Have a great two weeks folks!!! Can't wait for the next game!!!

As for international football, I may watch Belgium!
 

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
1,064
I think most would realise it was meant as a joke.

And from elsewhere, " we still have yet to beat any of the teams above us".
Well as long as we are number 1 I'm happy with that stat.

Also if anyone has a link to the full game recorded as I only got the last 5min due to playing footy myself.
 

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
2,257
Daniel Sturridge would have taught Shanks his dance yesterday. successfully.
 

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
8,614
mattyhurst said:
That one calling Ferguson a traitor is brilliant, he really is a dickhead as I had a look through his tweets, self opinionated ****** not sure what he wants after all Fergie is 71.
It's that Gen-Y syndrome...sense of entitlement that drives me crazy. How a coach of 27 yrs can be called a traitor is beyond my comprehension. Don't love ManU but a lot of respect for Ferguson.
 



lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Messages
53,050
mattyhurst said:
That one calling Ferguson a traitor is brilliant, he really is a dickhead as I had a look through his tweets, self opinionated wanker not sure what he wants after all Fergie is 71.
You've just described 90% of the twitter population....
 

CARRADONA

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
159
Hi all,
i get precious little time to come on to the forum these days but i just wanted to say yesterday result was top.

The weird thing about our play so far this season is that it does not 'seem' tactically perfect or anything...we just go out all guns blazing then work like hell to defend and carry on attacking when we can. Mind you that is not to say that there isnt alot more going on out there tactically and BR has it all worked out but it doesn't look that way. .
In some ways I am still in shock. We have lost Reina and Carra yet not conceided a goal in the first 3 games all of which have been pretty open! What the FCUK is going on? Who cares i guess & long may it continue.
That said i am glad we have defensive reinforcements in now as the Notts. County game show how fragile the squad can be if pushed.
i am not suprised by Johnson's good form or Henderson's. Both are very underated players by most of our own fans.
 

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
561
Wins like that are ugly, but it helps building mentality (that we've so so lacked in the past...)
In Rafa's 2009 season when we were so close to the title - the start wasnt easy, we won ugly - last minute, came from behind, didnt killed games...

but as the season continued we improved, I hope it will happen again
 

alaskared

Kloppite
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
653
JoebloggsLFC said:
I think we also need to remember that yesterdays game was one where we had lost Kolo Cissokho & Allen, we knew we were short of options & that this was very much a game to get out of the way with before we added more strength, the fact that we actually won it is surely a sign that we might be on the right track finally, certainly bode's well for our future & has dealt a hammer blow to the mancs.


Player's who need to improve to keep a first team place are -

Coutinho
Enrique
Lucas
Agger

None of which have showed enough this season to warrant a first team start
I think you have unrealistic expectations of players. Did you notice how tightly Coutinho has been marked? He is still being dangerous. Lucas continues to do unheroic work in the middle, Agger is Mr Danger at set pieces and a defensive monster and even Enrique is improving his work rate and wing play. If you think the bench has better options you are mistaken.
Mark my words Coutinho will be our player of the season with Agger and Sturridge a close second.

The second half wasn't that great but we played some good stuff in the first against the champions, remember...like it or not, best team in the land last season. That was a very good win.
 

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
13,633
Coutinho could not have faced a worse three teams the next three will be more suited to him and with the return of suarez, he will find space.

Aspas is another, Villa and United were ground out results, his Stoke performance was pretty good. The next few games will see him be more of a nunace.

Confident all will improve, as for Enrique both against Villa and Man United he was pretty dominate and was one of the reasons they had such little in chance creation.

Swansea and Southampton will play vastly different so I think we will see a different style.
 



gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
5,182
Guys. We have just destroyed a young man's football career. He was so distraught by the loss and the fact that he dived to try to win a penalty that he was so ashamed he quitted football and has embarked on a new career.

Poor Danny Welbeck

 

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
6,323
Watched the game again this afternoon (Aus time) and didnt have any issues with Coutinho, it was just a game to be toughed out. Not his type of game. But he was still as quick footed and ready to take players on as usual. Lucas looked better than I originally thought. He was very calm and assured, there's a real art to fouling only when necessary. Even a yellow by a DM up the field is much better than a penalty or a red card to a defender if the opposition player skips through.
 

stip80

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
211
artanisknarf said:
I think Skrtel is good for this kind of a game. I like him as a player. If we are going to tiki-taka around teams then he is not your first choice. In a war, and this was a war from first to last minute Skrtel is very good. I am glad we are showing tactical awareness that some games you just have to dig in and grind out.
Rafa did a fair bit of this and Skrtel was good for that. Not sure if there will be an accepted bid from Naaaaaaapoli tomorrow but Skrtel proved his worth today.
I dont know what BR think of Skrtl, but I think he is still a very good player. I still remember he and carra had a very good run of defensive performance during rafa's title challenge season. if you look at the stats, it will confirm that he is more reliable in than agger, although agger's style of play is preferred by BR.

however, skrtl (and also agger) seems to not able to defend well against strikers like Benteke, who is very physical and great in the air. this is what we have been lacking since hyppia left. we dont have CB who is very good in the air against opposition's striker and also poses threat whenever we have chance from set piece. just look at the number of goals hyppia contributed during his time in comparison to carra, skrtl and agger. because of this I have been envious to rivals who have players like terry, ferdinand, kompany who consistently banging goals from set pieces in addition to their aerial prowess against opposition.

and this is where kolo toure can play his part. he is the type of hyppia, terry and kompany that our CB has been missing. its been awhile since our defense looks so calm at set piece and against physical challenge from players like benteke. but thank god, manutd doesnt do that kind of play and in fact this is the kind of play that skrtl can cope very well with. had kolo toure been injured a week earlier, im not sure if we would have won against villa.

so what im saying, skrtl is very good CB and would provide very good cover for agger and toure, depending on who you face against.
 

nowthen

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
251
stip80 said:
I dont know what BR think of Skrtl, but I think he is still a very good player. I still remember he and carra had a very good run of defensive performance during rafa's title challenge season. if you look at the stats, it will confirm that he is more reliable in than agger, although agger's style of play is preferred by BR.

however, skrtl (and also agger) seems to not able to defend well against strikers like Benteke, who is very physical and great in the air. this is what we have been lacking since hyppia left. we dont have CB who is very good in the air against opposition's striker and also poses threat whenever we have chance from set piece. just look at the number of goals hyppia contributed during his time in comparison to carra, skrtl and agger. because of this I have been envious to rivals who have players like terry, ferdinand, kompany who consistently banging goals from set pieces in addition to their aerial prowess against opposition.

and this is where kolo toure can play his part. he is the type of hyppia, terry and kompany that our CB has been missing. its been awhile since our defense looks so calm at set piece and against physical challenge from players like benteke. but thank god, manutd doesnt do that kind of play and in fact this is the kind of play that skrtl can cope very well with. had kolo toure been injured a week earlier, im not sure if we would have won against villa.

so what im saying, skrtl is very good CB and would provide very good cover for agger and toure, depending on who you face against.
Stip80 srktel was excellent on sunday. He would provide great cover for agger and toure but I just cant see how he himself would be happy with that. He is an international player and if he is not playing all the time or even most of the time then his position in the national team would be at risk. It would be brilliant for us to have a CB of skrtels quality as cover but i just cant see skrtel himself being happy with that role.

I agree with you that toure seems to be the better option when playing against the likes of benteke as skrtel struggled against him last year.
Also if skrtel is not a regular by the time the transfer window opens then I can see mister benitez knocking on the door to see if he can take him away.
I was impressed with his attitude in the game as last year he seemed to be moaning rather than going out and doing the business on the pitch. On sunday he fought for the team with little or no match fitness or pre season.
Will be interesting to see if he plays the next game if toure is fit. He did nothing in the game to warrant being dropped so will see what BR does there the next game.

Carras comments about skrtel were interesting before the game on sky as carra himself said he was unsure if BR really fancies him as a player
 

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
1,064
spizfromoz said:
Watched the game again this afternoon (Aus time) and didnt have any issues with Coutinho, it was just a game to be toughed out. Not his type of game. But he was still as quick footed and ready to take players on as usual. Lucas looked better than I originally thought. He was very calm and assured, there's a real art to fouling only when necessary. Even a yellow by a DM up the field is much better than a penalty or a red card to a defender if the opposition player skips through.
Do u have a link for the full game
 



spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
6,323
therealkeano1 said:
Do u have a link for the full game
I subscribe to Liverpool TV. So I wait for the games to come up Aust time which is at least 24 hours after.
 

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Joined
May 26, 2007
Messages
859
Great goal by Daniel.
We have to learn to play for 90 minutes - not just 45.

Our passing was poor throughout, but thankfully, so was their passing.
Yes, they should have had a penalty, but they should also have been down to 10 in the first half.

Anyhooo, 9 points from 3 games is a good start.

With regards to the internationals, they've come at a good time in my opinion.
It'll give the likes of Daniel and Kolo time to recover.
And if Hodgson is thinking of picking Daniel, then he can fuck off.
We want our lot to come back walking.
I don't care if the other teams suffer injuries - in fact I hope they do.

Roll on the next game.
 

Drubas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
1,103
BR had problems with the defence last season. Skrtel and Agger were the ones that looked bad. But in reality the failure was a team effort. The solution was to go back to basics. If the first try at regaining the possession failed, just fall back to the traditional, low defensive line.

During this summer BR has built on the improved defense from last spring, to a point where it almost feels like we're an italian team. We can actually close games down, like we've never been able to do before.

But let's not fool ourselves. Both the Stoke game and the Astan Villa game was won due to warrior's heart, and a bit of luck. BR did by no means manage to play the game he wants to play.

Before I start dreaming about winning anything this season, I would like to see us being able to keep posession against teams like Stoke. When we fall back deep, we simply don't seem to be able to get back on track.
 



norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
5,175
Drubas said:
BR had problems with the defence last season. Skrtel and Agger were the ones that looked bad. But in reality the failure was a team effort. The solution was to go back to basics. If the first try at regaining the possession failed, just fall back to the traditional, low defensive line.

During this summer BR has built on the improved defense from last spring, to a point where it almost feels like we're an italian team. We can actually close games down, like we've never been able to do before.

But let's not fool ourselves. Both the Stoke game and the Astan Villa game was won due to warrior's heart, and a bit of luck. BR did by no means manage to play the game he wants to play.

Before I start dreaming about winning anything this season, I would like to see us being able to keep posession against teams like Stoke. When we fall back deep, we simply don't seem to be able to get back on track.
True that. In reality, all our league games so far have been won by partly doing what we had to do rather than what we wanted to do.

It's probably the most difficult excercise in football though, protecting a lead by keeping the ball against a very aggressive team; and I just don't see us having the players or the collective composure and tactical smartness to do that yet. We should be able to do it against Stoke, but I suspect the old "here we go again" panic crept into the heads of the players.

In fairness, there aren't that many teams out there capable of doing it. But it's where we ultimately want to be, and therefore one area where I too hope to see further improvement over the season.
 

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
2,307
BhupendraS said:
Great goal by Daniel.
We have to learn to play for 90 minutes - not just 45.

Our passing was poor throughout, but thankfully, so was their passing.
Yes, they should have had a penalty, but they should also have been down to 10 in the first half.

Anyhooo, 9 points from 3 games is a good start.

With regards to the internationals, they've come at a good time in my opinion.
It'll give the likes of Daniel and Kolo time to recover.
And if Hodgson is thinking of picking Daniel, then he can fuck off.
We want our lot to come back walking.
I don't care if the other teams suffer injuries - in fact I hope they do.

Roll on the next game.
I watched the game on MUTV (long story). But it was brillaint listening to the manc commentators - everytime a man player went into a challenge it was a great tackle, whenever one of there players ended up on the deck it was a foul. On top of that they should have had 8 penalties.....the Welbeck one was the best they went tropo and then when they saw the replay that showed Welbeck took a dive they just went quiet - not one comment on how its a horrbile part of the game ( imagine if it was Suarez). Finally whenever Evra got the ball and we booed they said - these guys are morons I don't get why they boo a guy for getting racially abused.

I guess perception really is a persons reality.........
 

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,005
Spitfire said:
I watched the game on MUTV (long story). But it was brillaint listening to the manc commentators - everytime a man player went into a challenge it was a great tackle, whenever one of there players ended up on the deck it was a foul. On top of that they should have had 8 penalties.....the Welbeck one was the best they went tropo and then when they saw the replay that showed Welbeck took a dive they just went quiet - not one comment on how its a horrbile part of the game ( imagine if it was Suarez). Finally whenever Evra got the ball and we booed they said - these guys are morons I don't get why they boo a guy for getting racially abused.

I guess perception really is a persons reality.........
It's the same with LFCTV, it's just as bias.
 

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,005
Spitfire said:
I would expect so - Its a bit tragic really
It's something that they could fix simply by using commentators from outside the club, and there are plenty of good ones.

But I don't really see an issue, since their audience solely consists of Liverpool fans anyway.