• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United



Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
2,257
BhupendraS said:
Yes, they should have had a penalty, but they should also have been down to 10 in the first half.
do you mean Glen's (paired with Lucas if I'm not mistaken) challenge on Evra, which left him injured? if the case, he went for the ball IMO. that's what I thought after seeing the replay. oh, and was it really in the box ?
 

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
11,504
I'm actually getting a bit sick of commentators saying that Suarez was banned for racially abusing Evra, given that the FA actually cleared him of that charge, but suspended him for improper conduct.
 

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
Joined
Feb 16, 2011
Messages
1,914
not sure if it has been mentioned - but this game re jogged my memory against the stoke game too - ball boys...
Are we the last club to have them in - and did it just start this season?
 

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
3,485
spizfromoz said:
Watched the game again this afternoon (Aus time) and didnt have any issues with Coutinho, it was just a game to be toughed out. Not his type of game. But he was still as quick footed and ready to take players on as usual. Lucas looked better than I originally thought. He was very calm and assured, there's a real art to fouling only when necessary. Even a yellow by a DM up the field is much better than a penalty or a red card to a defender if the opposition player skips through.
Sorry, cannot agree re "clever" fouls.Many of his fouls are given away in areas where the opposition can knock in a quality cross. This is an area we have been poor at defending for sometime. I thought Lucas did o.k. in the first half ,when we were dominent but the guy making interceptions and winning tackles in front of our back 4 was Gerrard who is without doubt a better DM than Lucas. Not saying Lucas is a bad player but his lack of pace and silly fouls could cost us dearly.
 



zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2010
Messages
3,633
costared said:
Sorry, cannot agree re "clever" fouls.Many of his fouls are given away in areas where the opposition can knock in a quality cross. This is an area we have been poor at defending for sometime. I thought Lucas did o.k. in the first half ,when we were dominent but the guy making interceptions and winning tackles in front of our back 4 was Gerrard who is without doubt a better DM than Lucas. Not saying Lucas is a bad player but his lack of pace and silly fouls could cost us dearly.
Stats for the game - just to show that your eyes deceived you:

Lucas Tackles 4/5 Clearances 3 Interceptions 6 Fouls concede 3
Gerrard Tackles 3/4 Clearances 2 Interceptions 4 Fouls conceded 0

Only in fouls concede was Gerrard better. Aspas, Sterling and Coutinho all also conceded 2 fouls, so Lucas, our main tackler only actually conceded 1 more free kick than a 1/4 of our team. Lucas's fouls will always be in a dangerous area as that is the area of the pitch that he works in.

Gerrard is not a better DM than Lucas. Better player, undoubtedly, but not a better DM.
 

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Moderator
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
7,169
The difference is in the type of tackle. When Gerrard made those tackles they were typically critical last ditch ones stopping a goal scoring opportunity (they tend to stick in peoples mind).

The tackles Lucas made tended to be nicking the ball off someones feet.

Both are important but in different ways. I would say though when Lucas is put into a position where he is required to make a last ditch tackle, the typical result is a foul (trying to recover) rather than commit to a real challenge.

He does the graft better, but needs to get his foot stuck in when required.
 

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2010
Messages
3,633
i_still_miss_fowler said:
The difference is in the type of tackle. When Gerrard made those tackles they were typically critical last ditch ones stopping a goal scoring opportunity (they tend to stick in peoples mind).

The tackles Lucas made tended to be nicking the ball off someones feet.

Both are important but in different ways. I would say though when Lucas is put into a position where he is required to make a last ditch tackle, the typical result is a foul (trying to recover) rather than commit to a real challenge.

He does the graft better, but needs to get his foot stuck in when required.
I do agree with this post injury. Prior to it less so - that marvellous tackle on Yaya springs to mind. I also agree that much of the work Lucas does is done in a no-fuss type of way to it's easy to miss, tho no less improtant.
 

soberphobia

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 9, 2013
Messages
612
ubermick said:
I'm actually getting a bit sick of commentators saying that Suarez was banned for racially abusing Evra, given that the FA actually cleared him of that charge, but suspended him for improper conduct.
I have been curious about this myself. I don't know the legal clarification of the charge and what Luis was found guilty of but like you i thought it was misconduct. I am thinking that that cannot be accurate as media outlets have routinely stated he has been found guilty of racial abuse. We live in a world of litigation and Luis and the clubs lawyers would no doubt of been all over it if that was not the case.

If he was only found guilty of misconduct and the media are reporting racial abuse then that is a clear case of defamation. Perhaps everyone just wants to forget the whole thing?