• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Showdown said:
But I have to say great performance from Mariner, terribly difficult one to ref and he should be applauded
for keeping it as fair as he did
Referees can do their job easier and better now without Ferguson constantly giving them shit. If Ferguson was still in charge, Welbeck would have won them a penalty for falling over. The difference is there for all to see now.

B

bmcg

craig bellamy's golf club said:
Well done to the lads, unfortunately missed the second half due to family pulling me off the sofa for a walk with the dog.
would have to be a massive earthquake to get me to move when a match is on ..

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
So Arsenal make sure we stay on top for at least a couple of weeks.

B

bmcg

Chewbazza said:
So Arsenal make sure we stay on top for at least a couple of weeks.
goin to get a screen shot of the league table and get to the photocopier quick

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
lfc.eddie said:
Referees can do their job easier and better now without Ferguson constantly giving them shit. If Ferguson was still in charge, Welbeck would have won them a penalty for falling over. The difference is there for all to see now.
Out of likes but this is a very very good point

rab

vincef said:
Nice win, though we didnt even bother to play in the second half, just kept waiting for United to attack. Very boring game but eh, that's 3 points. A bit worried by Coutinho who was really useless today, maybe the game was too physical for him !
Some people simply look to find the negatives in anything. Coutinho was very good first half but was obviously targeted by United, particularly after he mugged off Giggs. Second half his involvement dropped off and was rightly replaced but the lad is 21 so maybe cut him some slack.

As for not bothering to play, we held onto our lead. Defending is a big a part of playing the game as attacking. If you found that boring I suggest you take up watching another sport.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Now what have we done to this little boy....

Showdown

TIA Reserve Team
Anyone direct me to full player stats from the match?
Can't find detailed stats anywhere

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
craig bellamy's golf club said:
Well done to the lads, unfortunately missed the second half due to family pulling me off the sofa for a walk with the dog.
Anyone in this house tried to come within 10 feet of me during that match, and I'd have gone at them like a wolverine. Should have borrowed Craig's golf club and told them to fuck off.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I like the way we're winning games this season. Not playing particularly well, but grinding out results. The sort of football that wins things. It would be good if we could get to a point where teams go into games against us thinking they won't score. Neither Villa or Utd really created anything at all and we've closed out two games comfortably now.

We're less reliant on individual brilliance to win games. Coutinho was quiet today, Aspas fairly ineffectual, Sturridge just knackered but it was the organisation and commitment that won the match. The midfield was immense, especially Henderson who I slated on here when he first came. He has the potential to be a top class midfielder. Great energy and technically excellent, but I doubted his mentality. He proved me wrong last season and looks even better now. And if that was Skrtel's last game for LFC then he has gone out on an absolute high.

Meanwhile, Moyes is doing a great job. Of turning United into Everton. Dull, predictable and bottling it at Anfield. A textbook Everton performance.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
Yes mate but he should have sent Van Persie off and booked Welbeck too. It seems to me that Refs this season are trying to keep the cards in the pockets in the big games. It was the same in the Mancs v Chavs game in that a lot of yellow card tackles went unpunished.
Had he not booked Van Pissy earlier he would have done for the Skrtel incident.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
So happy we are top of the league, we are kind of finding our feet now. Van Persil was being a very stroppy kid.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
what a massive game. massive claim of intent that we mean business.

of course it was 3 rather scrappy wins, only 1 goal each and 1 goalscorer for all, but that's our better start in the league for ages. oh, and we have set a new record, always nice to set this kind of records.

get in Danny lad !

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Only read the last few pages, so appoligies if this has already been said, but what the hell happened right before half? I only saw a replay once, but it looked like Van Persie did something stupid and then tried to blame Dagger or Skrtel to avoid getting in trouble. Anyone fill me in?

Other than that it was a great first 25-30 minutes from us, then United came out storming in the second half, but we held on and they never really got a great chance from all of their pressure. Skrtel and Agger were immense today, I'm not sure we would have held on to win that one last year. Fantastic grit shown from our players so far this year.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Lighting doesn't strike thrice,sturridge does. Credit where it's due, hendo is turning out to be a wonderful player.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
oh, and I forgot to mention that Hendo was BOSS today.

didn't put a foot wrong, harassing and mugging the mancs up and down the pitch, helping us winning the midfield battle, and getting more and more vocal. I wouldn't put him out of the starting 11 for now.
like I've said time and time again here, he's grown massively as a player since the turn of the year and could be on his way to live up to his price tag should performances like these be reproduced week in week out.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
jgw_geneseo said:
Only read the last few pages, so appoligies if this has already been said, but what the hell happened right before half? I only saw a replay once, but it looked like Van Persie did something stupid and then tried to blame Dagger or Skrtel to avoid getting in trouble. Anyone fill me in?

Other than that it was a great first 25-30 minutes from us, then United came out storming in the second half, but we held on and they never really got a great chance from all of their pressure. Skrtel and Agger were immense today, I'm not sure we would have held on to win that one last year. Fantastic grit shown from our players so far this year.
I think Van Persie got pissed at Skrtel's manhandling him on a cross, so there were some heated words exchanged and a bit of shoving before Agger got in the way. Then Gerrard got involved and had a nice head-to-head moment with RVP. I guess the tension carried over to half time.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Henderson, Sterling and Wisdom were excellent in those final 10-15 minutes. Plenty of energy and just got the basics right.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
YYEEEUUSSSS good performance and we were the better team.3 new players watching in the stands and Suarez sitting watching too.We have a squad that can do something in this league again.

PS We better keep Skrtel....

Billydick

Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
Still played six minutes injury time though for them to try to get something ...... the Ferguson influence still there

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Srijandeep Das ‏@LFC_360 1h
Not much improvement from last season, otherwise. We still haven't managed to defeat anyone above us in the league.

Kenneth Dalglish ‏@kennethdalglish 58m
A great day for LFC. A win to go top and our mentor's birthday tomorrow. Enjoy the break.

Dave Hendrick ‏@DaveHendrickTLW 57m
If Rafa buys Skrtel tomorrow, does he get Van Persie for free or did Martin let him out of his pocket after the game?

Samuel L. Jackson ‏@SamuelLJackson 3m
Big Ups Liverpool FC!!!

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Sweetest win for quite a long time that. Moyes will be out of a job by Christmas, I thought Manure seemed inept and thoroughly uncomfortable chasing the game.

Skrtel, Agger, Henderson and Sturridge all awesome, and Simon Mignolet is turning out to be Mr Reliable at the back. We're looking like a proper team again.