• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post-Match: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
ubermick said:
Anyone in this house tried to come within 10 feet of me during that match, and I'd have gone at them like a wolverine. Should have borrowed Craig's golf club and told them to fuck off.
Problem is, i'm not a very lovable bloke and if they left me then i would spend waaaaaayyy too much time on here and become just as miserable as you mods.................... ;-)

WrongIslander

Hahahaha did anyone hear Moyes' interview on BBC?

He's fucking deluded. Apparently they had all the play in the first half and the second, were much the better team and deserved a penalty.

Priceless.

If the game had ended a draw I couldn't really have complained. We limited them to few opportunities but we also allowed them too much of the ball in the second half but to say they totally dominated from start to finish? I must have been watching a different game to Gollum.

They said we only hated Ferguson because he won, well I can't stand Moyes and he's shite.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
I know it won't be easy, but the most important thing this win brought to me is: it again gives me hope that anything could happen. Which is a bit worrisome to be honest

True it was just a win against a mid table/relegation contender team. And we still need to play 27 more games before being crown champion. But i don't want to get my hope too high yet, you know

WrongIslander said:

He's fucking deluded. Apparently they had all the play in the first half and the second, were much the better team and deserved a penalty.

Priceless.

If the game had ended a draw I couldn't really have complained. We limited them to few opportunities but we also allowed them too much of the ball in the second half but to say they totally dominated from start to finish? I must have been watching a different game to Gollum.

They said we only hated Ferguson because he won, well I can't stand Moyes and he's shite.
Shh... let him believe that it was just unlucky that his team was beaten...We don't want them to step up their game just yet

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
WrongIslander said:

Priceless.

He's not going to say anything else to the media. Coming out and saying we were shit against their biggest rivals his first year isn't going to happen.

With them more rested and us coming off the back of playing 120 mintutes, I always knew the second half was going to be hard. The lack of clear cut chances is a testament to the team and Rodgers.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
WrongIslander said:

Priceless.

Reminds me of whisky nose's bleatings after we'd just torn his team a new one at old toilet. Apparently the better team lost 4-1. :lol:

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
Did anyone else get that great inner feeling when the camera scrolled across our new signings in the crowd :D

OhYaBeauty

Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United (Sturridge 3')

Tactical Roundup

I predicted at the start of the game that we'd set up in a 4-2-3-1. What I got wrong was how we set up with the three behind the striker. I had assumed that we'd have Henderson left, Coutinho central, and Aspas down the right, but we instead went with Aspas central, Coutinho on the left once again and Henderson on the right.

I think overall it worked pretty well. I thought that wth Aspas on the right, we wouldn't have much joy down that side. Instead, Henderson's work rate and physical play caused Evra tons of problems and really opened that side up for us. Coutinho was able to get a good amount of space out wide, but didn't get enough touches to really take hold of the game.

Defensively, we have great shape. It's very surprising for me to see it because it was our biggest weakness last term. Today (and indeed all season thus far) we've played a pretty deep line and absorbed pressure extremely well. For me it was more reminiscent of Chelsea under Mourinho or us under Rafa than last year under Brendan or Barcelona or Swansea's style of play. When we lost the ball, we dropped back into a 4-4-1-1. United only had any real success through the wings, and when they played up the wings, our shape looked like this:

The team clearly shifted over, and most importantly the far side winger (Henderson here) dropped into midfield to give us numbers. They couldn't get the ball back to central midfield because they had no forward progress there and they had no real options on the wings either. Essentially, we stifled their attack with compact team shape and numbers in defense.

Ebb and Flow

Over the past few weeks, I've grown accustomed to nearly having a heart attack in the second half of Liverpool games. Today, of course, was no different. We started the first half on a very good foot with a goal. It was well deserved; despite the fact that it was only a half chance and it was from a set piece, we bossed the first 15 minutes to the extent that I didn't think Manchester United would get into the game before half time. Ultimately they gained a little ground prior to half time, but we kept passing the ball very well and frustrated them to the extent that they had three yellow cards right in the lead-up to half time.

After half time they dominated us, there's no two ways about it. They won second balls, had possession, and dictated the game. I don't think this is necessarily a negative thing, though. Sure, we should be dominating games. But if Rodgers thinks the best way to win is to stay compact and eke it out, that's okay. It worked.

One nil to the Liverpool

Seems we've picked up a habit of eking out one nil victories, eh? Personally, I don't mind them at all. One more and we'll have to start Arsenal's old chant "One Nil to the Liverpool!"

There are some negatives here, though. For all the excitement and… well.. points we get for winning, it does show that we don't put games away. At this point, I would point out that a good team would take advantage of that and get a goal back, but I guess today's evidence goes to the contrary. Still, we need to be scoring a few more goals in order to prevent dropping points on those freak goals that happen every once in a while. Suarez' return should help this cause, and prevent a large number of cardiac arrests among Liverpool supporters.

Player Notes

My man of the match is Glen Johnson. He left injured with time left to go, but he completely dominated the right side today. Finishing up with three tackles, two interceptions, and two blocked shots is a very good day for a fullback whom most criticize for his defending. Additionally, he took on his man six times and beat him on four of those occasions. Compare that to Stewart Downing! He completely nullified their attack down the right side along with help from Henderson.

Giving Glen a run for his money were Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Sturridge, and Skrtel. They all had fantastic games. Henderson's work rate really closed down the pitch for Manchester United and prevented them from dictating play in the first half. In the second half, his omnipresence prevented United from doing anything terribly dangerous with their possession. Gerrard was magnificent as always but had four very good tackles today. His discipline, along with Lucas', defines our current style of play. The two of them are great at shielding the back four and they dominate midfield. Lucas for his part had 5 tackles and did a good job, but conceded two fouls in dangerous areas and another in United's half. He needs to be careful of where he's fouling. His distribution was very good.

Skrtel had a great game. He did let Welbeck past him a bit too easy early in the match but Johnson blocked it so no harm no foul. The rest of the match he was brilliant: he closed down Van Persie so excellently that the striker blew up at him around half time. I know he's just about gone, but he's great at man marking and he's very good in the current style we're playing where we absorb pressure. That's how he made his mark for us initially in 2008-2009.

It feels harsh to leave Sturridge out of my MOTM voting after a third consecutive winner. Aside from his goal, though, he wasn't all that dangerous. His hold up play is good and he's very quick, but he didn't look like scoring another. Still, and without a doubt the hero of this match. His performance is all the more impressive given he wasn't 100% fit for it. Hopefully we can keep reaping the rewards of his talents.

Coutinho, Aspas, and Sterling were all a bit off today. Coutinho was left on the wing and really didn't have his chance to influence the game. He wasn't poor by any stretch, but he just wasn't involved. Sterling came on and was put up against the only type of defender that will consistently better him. Valencia can match him for pace but has so much more power. Sterling can't really outrun him and won't be able to hold him off the ball. I'm still yet to be convinced by Iago Aspas. I know he's only in his first season here, but he shows all the hallmarks of a foreign player. He's lightweight and gets pushed off the ball very easily by English defenders. His first touch often goes just a bit too far and he loses the ball. Again, not a poor performance, but he'll take a while to adjust to this league.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
RedJacko said:
Did anyone else get that great inner feeling when the camera scrolled across our new signings in the crowd :D
Couldn't of been a better game for them to attend, the Shanks mosaic, the YNWA, Sturridges goal, the final YNWA towards the end, a win over the mancs to go top of the league and also 3 clean sheet wins out of 3. Great first impression for them.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
(MOD EDIT: No Getty images please)

My Man of the Match, Glen Johnson. He deserves it after that crunching tackle. Sure a lot of our players also deserve the MOTM accolade and my second choice is Martin Skrtel.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
WrongIslander said:

Priceless.

The new bitters?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
ptt said:
Conspicuous lack of Chung calling for BR's head in the pre and post match thread.
What's with you and baiting everyone in here? We had a good win, everyone is happy with the result and you go about your high and mighty horses calling out names and such. What's with you?

theres always tommorrow said:
Just one thing to say Brendan Rodgers....he made the people happy.
That's Shankly mate.... far, far from it still.

LeoT

104TOSH said:
Their is a new belief in the team, the spirit and commitment were top class.An excellent performance by Skrtel, whom was edged out of the MOTM -in my opinion, by Stevie G.

Some pretty poor passing though at times, very careless, which thankfully went unpunished.

3 wins.
9pts.
3 clean sheets

Wisdom came on for the injured Glen who'd played well, and didn't put a foot wrong. The fire in young Sterling's belly is plain to see, impressive.

Lucas still gives silly fouls away in dangerous places! Henderson was excellent.

Rock n Roll.........
Lucas still has the guts to win the ball in dangerous places.

If he didn't then we would all be talking about "the silly goals we conceded" and "why can't our midfield protect our defenders", just as we were ranting about this time last season.
Get off the guy's back he does a thankless task and does it well

Also, United were the lucky ones, We had as many chances as them but more of ours were on target.

Finally, I've seen players get sent off for less than what VanPersie did (he would probably have been sent off if his name was Suarez).
How Ryan Giggs escapes being booked is beyond me.

Red_IndianLFC

TIA New Signing
This is from the guardian

"Daniel Sturridge's goal at Anfield consigned Moyes's side to a league start of four points from three games. Yet the Scot claimed that on the basis of what he described as United's "best performance" so far, he would not be concerned if no additions were brought in before Monday's deadline. "

Reminds me of how Hodgson was with us.

With Arse winning against spurs we've gone clear at the top and will remain there for a couple of weeks. When was the last time that happened?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
What made this game sweeter was that I was watching it in the pub next to Manc supporting old lad who was literally the most biased fan I've ever heard. Utd should have about 8 pens, we should have had 3 players sent off, the referee was bent and they were desperately unlucky. It was brilliant.

There was one foul that Lucas made just inside his own half, and he turns to me and says "even you've got to admit that that's a foul". I said "yeah, course it is - and the lad deserves a pay rise for it"

That's my bugbear of today. Plenty criticising Lucas for giving away fouls - in my view that's his job. If we can't stop a player fairly then Lucas and Gerrard have got to step up and take him out. I love a good cynical foul - it's an art.

The match itself was a nervy thing, but I felt a lot calmer during this than I did against Stoke and Villa - maybe because if Utd had scored it would have still been a decent result. Maybe because it was the most toothless Utd I've seen for a good long while, or maybe because the players always look up for Utd at home.

A couple of random points from the game.

Coutinho is struggling by virtue of being the only creative attacking threat we have - teams can make him out if the game not really needing to worry about anyone else, and playing on the left is not great for him as teams find it easy to push him to the margins. Lets get Moses in to provide a proper left winger, and get Coutinho into the centre. When Suarez is back he'll get some time as space as well.

Henderson is doing brilliantly, and without him our midfield looks very short on legs. I can see him retaining his place tucked in on the right or left even when Rodgers could pick Sturridge, Suarez, Moses and Coutinho for the front four positions. His energy is vital to us.

Sterling did really well when he came on, Aspas looked a bit lost. The youngster offered a really good outlet for the counter attack, and was terrier like when pressing.

All in all, a great win and a great day - but Christ lets stick three past the next lot by half time and have a nicer second half.

LeoT

MarlboroMan said:
(MOD EDIT: No Getty images please)

My Man of the Match, Glen Johnson. He deserves it after that crunching tackle. Sure a lot of our players also deserve the MOTM accolade and my second choice is Martin Skrtel.
I think Lucas is giving Evra a sneaky wedgie back there.

Archer

TIA First Team
Hodgsonesque post match interview by gollum. Makes my day.

Would love us to score a second goal at some point. Heart is dodgy enough.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Mascot88 said:
Coutinho is struggling by virtue of being the only creative attacking threat we have - teams can make him out if the game not really needing to worry about anyone else, and playing on the left is not great for him as teams find it easy to push him to the margins. Lets get Moses in to provide a proper left winger, and get Coutinho into the centre. When Suarez is back he'll get some time as space as well.
That's very true. Aspas and Hendo aren't creating much of anything so it all falls on his back until Suarez returns. I'd imagine Moses will help out in that regard as well allowing Coutinho to move inside as a number 10.

jimbo

TIA Regular
was it just me or did sturridge hold the ball up really well? and also he has alot of skill.

Just been speaking to my friend who lives in France and he says LFC have got a real warrior with Sakho. Great in the air very strong.

anyone know much about Ilori?

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
I think that was Jordan Hendersons most complete performance in a Liverpool shirt. He was everywhere. He broke up play, kept possession and carried the ball excellently all the while making great forward and defensive runs.

Gerrard was phenomenal.

Martin Skrtel reminded us all of the player he is and was 2years ago with an excellent performance, especially when you consider he had just come in from the cold.

Glen Johnson had his best defensive display in a long time. He was physically dominant in every challenge right up to the moment he was injured. (hopefully only a short term loss).

Overall we limited there chances by winning the midfield battle tactically even if we didn't keep the ball very well.

On the flip side:
Aspas looked like a lost boy out there. He struggled with the physicality of the game and he never got his touch. Looked very much out of his depth in a game of such high stakes. Perhaps lacking the mental strength for such an occasion so early in his career.

Coutinho was wasteful in possession and in truth has yet to turn in one of the scintillating displays this season that we all expected. Perhaps we are expecting a little too much. (or maybe it is just me).

Back to the positives:

I am delighted that Skrtel put a little note on Rodgers desk stating that he is more than.good enough to play for this club. I think he was hard done by and it was a case of Rodgers not liking a player.

3 new players coming in.
Suarez to return.

I would be delighted to see one big name attacker join is tomorrow however unlikely that is.

3wins. 9points. Beat United. Dreamland!

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
lfc.eddie said:
What's with you and baiting everyone in here? We had a good win, everyone is happy with the result and you go about your high and mighty horses calling out names and such. What's with you?
Hardly baiting...making an observation. Snarks aren't ptt's strongest suit ;-)

NZred

The Red From NZ
Happy with the win and 3 points, especially against United and Gollum.

My ONLY concern is how truly terrible we were in the 2nd half and how willing we were to invite them to attack.

Flip side to that is, we still won :)

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
I'm completely disregarding the second half performance this time round. 120 minutes played against Notts County in the week (which I think we really wanted to win).. Skrtel and Sturridge not 100% fit by a long stretch, a depleted bench (where even bringing on Sterling and Alberto was risky) protecting a lead against the champions.

What do people expect, for United to roll over and we dominate possession while they wonder around pointlessly? The second half was always going to be pressed and dominated by them, but we handled it superbly in my opinion.

I'd say considering the circumstances, the performance went as well as it could have.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
lfc.eddie said:

That's Shankly mate.... far, far from it still.
No doubt about that Eddie and no disrespect intended but it doesn't change the fact there are a lot of people happy today.....Seems a long time since we could say that

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
My thoughts on this game:

Coutinho, having that period we all thought he would at such a tender age. Not a lot happened for him since the start of the season but he'll pick up again

Aspas: Really not convinced by him, like his mettle but in terms of keeping the ball and playing 'well' he's just not doing it up front
Lucas: Great game, really great game...so much improved over his performance at Villa

Skrtel/Agger: Massive difference to previous performances. I'm sure the fact we have a potential french national captain CB on the sidelines helped with this. Will it be Skrtels last match? Doubtful...think we'll be going three at the back at some point this year.

General: We seem to have gone from spanking people to running out close wins, not complaining but I think a bit more of a happy medium between defensive play and forward play needs to be found. Think we look STRONG defensively, we didn't look like conceding today at all, we stopped them playing and even without the ball it was fairly comfortable.

BR appears to have stopped us being flat bullied in matches which is a relief, good basis to push on. I only hope that we hold Sturridge back from England duty