• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timbo

Robertson is the best LB we've had since Riise, not that that particular bar was ever very high, sadly. I always felt Rafa let Riise go a year or two early, probably in a fit of pique after the OG that put us out of the Champions League.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Evening / Morning. I'm new, Hello everyone :)

Been lurking for a while, I live in Italy so watch all our matches on streams, got in the habit of following your forum when the stream goes down :)

I'm a Belfast-born fortysomething, been LFC since watching the Crown Paints yellow away side on MOTD sometime in the early '80s. I'm a bit of a nomad, left Belfast for Glasgow in '93, then lived in Sheffield, Lincoln, London for a long time, then Brighton before emigrating. I've watched every match I can in a pub or online for thirty years. I've seen us live a few times when I lived in London - defeats at Stamford Bridge and Wembley - finally made it to Anfield, though just the once so far - Swansea 5-0 in 2013, Coutinho's home debut (and he scored).

Been at the whisky tonight and finally got round to registering. Just wanted to say hi and tell you that I've enjoyed your in-match commentary / analysis / griping for a while now and decided to pitch in.

Re: tonight... phew, that was a brown-trouser event. Felt sick when VVD got that early card, but he was magnificent after that, never gave the ref any excuse to send him off. Thought that was the best I've seen Matip play for us. The midfield isn't what I'd have put out but they all pitched up tonight so fair play. Front three are special but still haven't all clicked at the same time yet this season, thankfully Mo being Mo was enough on the night. Really hope this inspires them for MU on the weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens at Valencia tomorrow.

Allison... what can you say. It's been less than 6 months but surely he's been worth his fee already.

Sorry for long post. Nice to be here.
Ciao Timbo! Come sta? You lucky man, living in Italy, I go to Sicily every year on holiday.
I’ve also been at the whisky after the game tonight.

FGred

So.... after I had some wine now, I have to say something....

All of our "midfield haters" should put their heads in shame! Or however you say this in english. The comments bevor the game were shocking and....
now I have to go back and drink another glass.
:wave:
I agree especially before the game when they saw the midfield they were horrified but Klopp knows best Hendo got a 9 from most of the press and Gini and Milly were outstanding, Mane didn’t miss his opportunities their goalie saved them he was just as good as Alisson IMO

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Robertson is the best LB we've had since Riise, not that that particular bar was ever very high, sadly. I always felt Rafa let Riise go a year or two early, probably in a fit of pique after the OG that put us out of the Champions League.
Riise will always e a legend for that goal he scored against the Mancs. I swear, I actually had chest pains when that shot hit the back of the net.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Never plain sailing. This is why I turned grey at 18. Supporting this crazy fucking team. Come on you reds
Cherish those grey hairs. I'm as bald as a pool ball. I can't blame it all on the Reds though. My kids have pitched in too.

I posted recently that Milner should be offered another contract, I don’t know why it hasn’t happened. The guy is a model professional.
I've read somewhere that if Leeds come up he'll be be allowed to leave and have a swan song at his boyhood club. I'm OK with that as long as he comes back here to join Jurgen's back room in some capacity.

Evening / Morning. I'm new, Hello everyone :)

Been lurking for a while, I live in Italy so watch all our matches on streams, got in the habit of following your forum when the stream goes down :)

I'm a Belfast-born fortysomething, been LFC since watching the Crown Paints yellow away side on MOTD sometime in the early '80s. I'm a bit of a nomad, left Belfast for Glasgow in '93, then lived in Sheffield, Lincoln, London for a long time, then Brighton before emigrating. I've watched every match I can in a pub or online for thirty years. I've seen us live a few times when I lived in London - defeats at Stamford Bridge and Wembley - finally made it to Anfield, though just the once so far - Swansea 5-0 in 2013, Coutinho's home debut (and he scored).

Been at the whisky tonight and finally got round to registering. Just wanted to say hi and tell you that I've enjoyed your in-match commentary / analysis / griping for a while now and decided to pitch in.

Re: tonight... phew, that was a brown-trouser event. Felt sick when VVD got that early card, but he was magnificent after that, never gave the ref any excuse to send him off. Thought that was the best I've seen Matip play for us. The midfield isn't what I'd have put out but they all pitched up tonight so fair play. Front three are special but still haven't all clicked at the same time yet this season, thankfully Mo being Mo was enough on the night. Really hope this inspires them for MU on the weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens at Valencia tomorrow.

Allison... what can you say. It's been less than 6 months but surely he's been worth his fee already.

Sorry for long post. Nice to be here.
Welcome Timbo, I'm just enjoying a glass of scotch myself. In regards to Alisson, I'm not sure how much we earn by progressing to the knock outs. But we can just take that off his transfer fee. Even more of a bargain.

Now let's see who we get in the next round. No Virg, so will we be the cowardly lion from The Wizard of Oz,"put em up, put em up I say. I'll fight ya with one hand behind my back". Or the Black Knight from Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, "Tis but a flesh wound".

Flobs

FADA
Looking at the stats, I find it hard to believe Mane only had 3 shots, felt like he missed about 20.
He is our new Coutinho (sorry for mentionning him I hate it but could resist). Coutinhos stats were always way better than I saw 30 shots and 2 on target was always converted to 3 shots and 3 on target. :shocked:

Commando

Ad-free Member
Best left back since Alec Lindsay. That includes my favourite Joey Jones.

I agree especially before the game when they saw the midfield they were horrified but Klopp knows best Hendo got a 9 from most of the press and Gini and Milly were outstanding, Mane didn’t miss his opportunities their goalie saved them he was just as good as Alisson IMO
That's why I always leave it to Jurgen and his team to pick the starting eleven and formation. They see them all week and have access to data about the opposition that can influence their team/tactics decisions.

Riise will always e a legend for that goal he scored against the Mancs. I swear, I actually had chest pains when that shot hit the back of the net.
I never saw that goal until months later. I was in Cyprus when the game was played. We had the morning off and I asked if I could work the morning and watch the match in the afternoon. My bluenose sergeant major said "No" and made me work all afternoon. I spent the whole afternoon moving two tons of sand about one hundred metres.

Magnus

This might be a hand grenade, but so be it. I did not think the REF was that bad. He had a couple of decisions that were off, but the rest of the situations most people are criticising is due to continental football being slightly different in what one penalises (example, when Milner got a free kick against, many complained, but Milners hand was slightly in the opponents face, which for many refs are enough for a foul). He was not at all out to make Liverpool lose, that is just in my opinion, silly conspiracy theories ;-)
Now, feel free to murder me :)

Timbo

Pic nicked from Grauniad just in case anyone thought it wasn't a proper save or just went straight at him. That's technique.

big noyd

well we were back to wasting chances rather than prevailing with tepid football

not gonna lie, was not thrilled to see that midfield in the starting xi, but they all did the job today. gini was particularly good, hendo was running with the ball

thought alisson was the second-best keeper in the world last season. haven't seen anything that would motivate me to move him down the list

virgil was immense, as usual. he'll be missed in that first knockout game, but matip has had a couple of solid performances lately

Red over the water

Just finished watching the match. Superb!

Alisson saved our bacon at the end there. Best in the world. There is not another goalie I’d swap him for. Worth every penny.

I’ll be light on the analysis because this is a time to celebrate. We cut them open a lot and could have scored five or more. Mane, Salah and even Wijnaldum, who scuffed a couple, were very wasteful. It meant that we were within a gnats knickers, or more precisely an Alisson special, from going out. But we didn’t, and that’s the main point.

I was surprised Fabinho and Keita didn’t start, as I think they are starting to elevate the midfield now that they are beginning to find their feet. I would imagine we will start to see more of them as the season unfolds.

Anyway, GET IN!

And Alisson.... YOU BEAUTY!

macca1970

We don't do things the easy way do we?

Eigth time Mo Salah has opened the scoring. These are no icing on the cake goals. THese are decisive. Deadly.

COme injury time, come Alison. Made himself big in the block.

Mane, Mane, Mane. Love him, but he don't half get in a mess at times. That's our Sadio. He'll bang some in this weekend against the scum.

yiannos33

Believe
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss! Watched the game at the pub and might be under the influence but
what a fantastic performance by the reds. Napoli looked out of our league,maybe championship team.
Should of been at least 3-0. Allison wow what a keeper. Virgil outstanding once again. Matip, Robo,Gini,
Hendo,Salah all great. Mane should of score at least 2.
Klopp is boss. Can’t wait next Monday for the next draw.
Hope Matip is ok with his shoulder

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Now let's pray to god that Koulibaily turn down the offer from United or any Premier League side. That guy is the reason why we didn't tear this lot a new one..... I wonder what did Van Dijk say to Henderson after that tackle that earned him a very rare yellow? Slow to react? Awareness isn't there? Positional game not too good?

RedYank

A packed pub...groaning, cheering, pinching arse cheeks in the final moments. The match was streamed from Univision again...all in Spanish...but we all screamed with glee when we heard that announcer exclaim " ALLLEEESONN BECKKKERRR!!!!"