• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Hehehe.... 18 times in the Champs League, first time ever Ancelotti been knocked out of the group stage. Say hello to our 2 Roman imports.... lol

Watched the match again and my goodness do Mane needs a change of boots. How many open goal does he need to get one. Served up on a platter for him a few times, and he broke loose from the defender with only a keeper to beat, he messed it up. The fuck Mane! You better do something magical for us this weekend!

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Utter madness. Total domination. The best midfield performance by that combination ever. Salah working so hard (he becomes a bit like Firmino, actually, making tackles, being a pest). It wasn't only the Alisson save; there was a key interception by VVD tracking back to stop a through ball in the penalty area. Yet...one moment could have brought it all to naught, and even a second goal wouldn't have mattered. Was really nuts. For me, Klopp waits too long to put the fresh legs on. Keita and Fabinho somewhere between 60' and 75' would do very nicely. They put their subs on in that timeframe and frankly nearly took it away from us. All their good chances happened after an hour with their fresh legs on.

RedLar

I simply came on to vote VVD as motm, because he had what, for me at least, was his best match in a Liverpool shirt tonight. Cleared headers were going a mile to red shirts feet. Intercepted God knows how many dangerous balls.

The voting is pretty spread out still, and fancy that rather reflected the team effort out there tonight. Hard to pick one outstanding player in all that, but VVD was senor dogs bollocks as they say in Spain.

Signing Robbo for under 10 million has to be the largest friggin joke of the century thus far....... Give me 10 of him. You can keep the change. :)

mmeck_lfc

lads. what a win. ospina caught some flak for the salah goal, but what a cool finish. was another well worked match, just needed a bit more clinical inside the box.

alisson is a hero. vvd and matip both immense. robertson with some unbelievable service. bobby lights out.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
This might be a hand grenade, but so be it. I did not think the REF was that bad. He had a couple of decisions that were off, but the rest of the situations most people are criticising is due to continental football being slightly different in what one penalises (example, when Milner got a free kick against, many complained, but Milners hand was slightly in the opponents face, which for many refs are enough for a foul). He was not at all out to make Liverpool lose, that is just in my opinion, silly conspiracy theories ;-)
Now, feel free to murder me :)
It’s not a conspiracy theory was just literally very poor, you don’t point the wrong way on 4 occasions on a decision, it’s like committing a foul throw at that level if your a player. It was poor I’m honestly not sure why he is at that level as I’ve said the old codgers who ref our games at Amatuer level are better.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I simply came on to vote VVD as motm, because he had what, for me at least, was his best match in a Liverpool shirt tonight. Cleared headers were going a mile to red shirts feet. Intercepted God knows how many dangerous balls.

The voting is pretty spread out still, and fancy that rather reflected the team effort out there tonight. Hard to pick one outstanding player in all that, but VVD was senor dogs bollocks as they say in Spain.

Signing Robbo for under 10 million has to be the largest friggin joke of the century thus far....... Give me 10 of him. You can keep the change. :)
I actually thought he wasn’t as good today, I thought Matip was slightly better.

Anyhow just one more point on Mane missing at the end, was probably a good thing, we didn’t need the goal and the ref would have added time on.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Amazing performance from everyone, even Matip :shocked:.

Robertson was fucking awesome, what an absolute steal he's turned out to be.

I'm not going to be as harsh on Mane as some have been, the lad worked his arse off and got into good scoring positions frequently throughout the match.
That can only be a good thing for us, he wont be as wasteful next time round.

Last edited:

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Just got to watch the match (I had it playing on my phone at work but couldn’t really watch)

What a match. Played at breakneck speed, very little of the play was settled and calculated. That was two teams slugging it out with wild counterpunches and SO MANY TERRIBLE FINISHES. Am happy for it, as Callejon’s chance from 6 yards out would have ended it for us. Mane, I just don’t know what to say....it’s a good thing you can help defend because your touch tonight was shockingly bad

MOTM...not a clue. Pick one. Virgil was imperious at the back. Robertson was incredible on the wing. Wijnaldum was to get subbed off with rubber legs at 82nd minute but ground out another 10. Bobby was everywhere and barely touched the ball. No for the meg on the keeper to win it.

But that was the best match I have seen from Henderson this season. Been a while since I have seen him have a crack a goal outside the box, well in today.

At the 94th minute whistle I did this really random happy dance through the office with fists and hips a’pumpin and legs shaking. All sorts of happy moment. Props to my staff for ignoring me and not taping it

So next round is one of:

Dortmund
Barcelona
Porto
Bayern Munich
Ajax
Real Madrid
Juventus

Who ever we get it should be a fantastic game.
I want Barca. Knock them out early. Let Lionel meet Andy-fucking-Robertson

Evening / Morning. I'm new, Hello everyone :)

Been lurking for a while, I live in Italy so watch all our matches on streams, got in the habit of following your forum when the stream goes down :)

I'm a Belfast-born fortysomething, been LFC since watching the Crown Paints yellow away side on MOTD sometime in the early '80s. I'm a bit of a nomad, left Belfast for Glasgow in '93, then lived in Sheffield, Lincoln, London for a long time, then Brighton before emigrating. I've watched every match I can in a pub or online for thirty years. I've seen us live a few times when I lived in London - defeats at Stamford Bridge and Wembley - finally made it to Anfield, though just the once so far - Swansea 5-0 in 2013, Coutinho's home debut (and he scored).

Been at the whisky tonight and finally got round to registering. Just wanted to say hi and tell you that I've enjoyed your in-match commentary / analysis / griping for a while now and decided to pitch in.

Re: tonight... phew, that was a brown-trouser event. Felt sick when VVD got that early card, but he was magnificent after that, never gave the ref any excuse to send him off. Thought that was the best I've seen Matip play for us. The midfield isn't what I'd have put out but they all pitched up tonight so fair play. Front three are special but still haven't all clicked at the same time yet this season, thankfully Mo being Mo was enough on the night. Really hope this inspires them for MU on the weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens at Valencia tomorrow.

Allison... what can you say. It's been less than 6 months but surely he's been worth his fee already.

Sorry for long post. Nice to be here.
Welcome!

Ben64

I am happy. Not overly delighted as I felt it was within us to beat Naptalian by 3-4 goals. The more we are content with grinding out 1-0 wins, and I must stress I love wins even at 1-0, the more we will be lulled into false complacency. Our strike force will need to really turn up soon, else one fine day, we will fall short. Till then, every game is a recipe for heart attack. And I am already on meds...

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Not without VVD for the next match.
I get what your saying but we'll have Gomez back by then, so a back 4 of TAA, Gomez, Matip and Robbo will be good enough to see off the midget, suarez and judas. It's not like we'll be going in hoping that both Karius and Lovren are able to go 90 minutes without having a couple of brain farts.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
lads done very well, although how we didn't score more goals is maybe a blessing in disguise, because I hope we have saved that for the weekend. feel sad for VVD, as he misses the next game.
Salah was ticking over at the beginning of the season, and now he is moving thru' the gears.
I know looking for revenge is not kosher, but exceptions have to be made for RM and manure. So would not mind getting RM in the next round and tearing them a new one with Salah, in particular getting a hat trick.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I wonder if with Mane it was the gash he had on his foot causing him to hit the ball wrongly.. Everything else about his game was fantastic. Some of those finishes you’d expect your nan to smash home though.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
I am quite chuffed. Had a fucking emotional rollercoaster during min 75+, but hey we got Klopp, Alisson and vvD!
The team is so solid, strong, more fluid and slick than earlier, they took a quite a bit to fire on all cylinders, but eventually did in a crucial part of the season. Mane had me cursing, and Gini was immense in the midfield! Quite deserved!

Time for a change in pace of fixtures against a mid-table team...

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Wow I wake up the next morning and I'm still pumped.

Our best performance of the season heading into the utd game on Sunday with 5 days rest . so want to get Madrid in the next round for some sweet paypack

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
The lads never make it easy for us do they? 1-0 was enough, but we could have had four or five and made the final minutes less stressful for us all. And thank God for Ally in our goal - what a fantastic save near the end. He kept us in the game and progression into the last sixteen.

One moan I have is - I'VE NO SODDING NAILS LEFT. !!!!!

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Best team performance under Klopp i would say. Every player had his moments to shine (yes even Sadio).

On VvDs yellow - i think it was the right decision and there might be referees (especially from spain) who would have given him a straight red.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I wonder if with Mane it was the gash he had on his foot causing him to hit the ball wrongly.. Everything else about his game was fantastic. Some of those finishes you’d expect your nan to smash home though.
You mean he was hitting the ball where the scab is and its sending it the wrong way ?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I just watched the video - he said "The Champions League" not "UEFA"!
Ah thanks for clearing this up, mate!

Otherwise, I can only state what others have said previously: what a nice little knack we have this season to grind out results now! Only a year ago, we were still complaining about that soft touch our team had, about that tendency to let consistency or concentration go at times, and often during key moments.

Obviously, VVD and Allisson coming in has helped a lot. Those two are genuine monsters in the game, they are fantastic and really on a level of their own. But as Klopp said, if the team hadn't defended so well as a unit, VVD and Allisson could have done nothing to prevent Napoli from scoring goals. The whole team deserves credit for the way they have toughened up as a collective. We are meanwhile so incredibly hard to break down, tough as nails really... it's a pleasure to see that. We haven't been as solid at the back since Rafa's best days with us, but good defending was Rafa's main asset, while our current strong defending is still coupled with a fluency when moving the ball around, and a genuine attacking intent at almost all times.

Klopp has often been criticised for having teams lacking the right balance between attack and defence, and probably rightly so, but I'm quite sure that with the current team, he's on his way to complete a genuine masterwork. The determination is quite clearly visible on his face, and the same determination can be seen as visibly in the way our players behave and play on the pitch. No more of this wild bunch stuff. It's all about control, determination, concentration, and an iron willingness to win the game at hand.

Long may that development continue, it's a joy to watch it unravel and progressively bear fruits!

Last edited:

Alright Now

I’m really happy. Literally living out the dream.

Meeting club legend @Maria today
Meeting Everest legend @Red_Jedi Saturday
Going to embarrass @ILLOK at a pub this week
Steered clear of troublemaker @7th Earl last night
Heading to Anfield on the shoulders of @nobluff
Watching the greatest club in the world become a fearsome force

Think I need to do a blog. But I’m in a stupor.