• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Name a player that was clean with the ball last night? Robbo passed directly to a lone Napoli midfielder in CM all by himself, twice! That led to shots on goal. Haven't seen anyone mention that. The game was mistake riddled. It's shocking that anyone could single out a player worse than another.
That wasn't my point, nor was what I said incorrect. It's a common trait of Lovren to make panic induced errors, I can't say the same of Robbo (or Alisson who did one of the worst kicks to their players in the game).

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I think we’d do well to remember that the refs only get to see things once.

My thought process on the Virgil card last night went as follows.

Live: YOU FUCKING BIASED CUNT!!! HE TOOK THE BALL!!!

Replay 1: Actually he did take a bit of Mertens as well. Fair enough.

Replay 2: Oooh. Actually that’s horrible. Could have been a red.

I thought the referee was poor last night. He gave Napoli a lot of very cheap fouls, but I think that is largely because Napoli and Liverpool were playing different games and the referee was more inclined to referee the former. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Liverpool highlighted free kicks by feigning contact, exaggeration and simulation like Napoli did.

Cannot agree with that. Won the ball cleanly. Opponent was about over a foot away at the time, foot was not raised , contact was minimal. The Commentator thought it was a well timed tackle after watching a replay and I tend to agree with him. Shortly afterwards a Napoli defender took Milner out with a 2 footed tackle, studs up and we did not even get a free kick. Very poor officials.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Thought this was a very good performance. Had our finishing been anywhere near last seasons standard it would have been 3 or 4 . Maybe it was the pressure and the players were trying just a little to hard. Hopefully our clinical finishing of last season will return soon.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Well, I 100% disagree. Im relieved he got to stay on, but for me that's a red card every single time. Without question. Goes in with full power, fot above ground and hit the leg. Doesnt matter whether he hits the ball, he should have been sent off.

I find it hard to believe some people actually try to argue its not. But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion
I am so glad you arent a referee, just to finish this debate, if there is no contact with the player would you think it was a red card?

If the answer is no then there is the answer to the debate

Btw I used to be a referee instructor when I lived in England, but I do understand your opinion.

FGred

It is the day after now, so while I understand well the immediate emotions after a game, I have some problems the day after, when you are suggesting that UEFA wants to fix the match. That makes no sense at all. Remember the speed we play at, remember that there is no VAR, remember that continental football penalises fouls slightly different. There is no empirical evidence to suggest that the ref was "after us", because he some how dislikes us more than Napoli. That is frankly just a conspiracy theory, and to me, it makes absolutely 0 sense. Let us instead rejoice in the result, the ref's whistle blowing had no bearing on the game ! We played an amazing game, and should have scored more, but for some mediocre finishing! Let us concentrate on that ! :-)
Listen you go and watch the 4 previous games he reffed for us and compare his performance with last night, by the way we lost all 4 games he was just as useless and if he is picked again to ref our game I’m sure even the club would be disturbed by that. I would have thought that the refs are assessed after each game and I understand refereeing is a tough job but now they are paid top dollar to do a top job. I never complained about the refs we got in the CL last year as they were quite decent.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
It’s not a conspiracy theory was just literally very poor, you don’t point the wrong way on 4 occasions on a decision, it’s like committing a foul throw at that level if your a player. It was poor I’m honestly not sure why he is at that level as I’ve said the old codgers who ref our games at Amatuer level are better.
The worst decision was Mane's supposed foul on their keeper he just stood there keeper came out into Mane and with a minimum of contact fell over and got a foul, gobsmackingly poor decision.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Bloody Norah, we never do things the easy way in the Champions league. If i watched the match live last night, I would have been either on the ventilator or i would have been in the morgue this morning.

Well done Redmen and the Anfield crowd and all of you lot on the TIA In-Match thread, you all are amazing and are much braver than me. I salute you.:well done:

Really nice meeting @Alright Now :-). Have a good trip to Liverpool.

Last edited:

Commando

Ad-free Member
Try washing it :think:

Seriously though its mad isn't it. I woke up up this morning buzzing like a little school kid. Seems this football lark will keep us young forever
Some of our games age me ten years.

Matip suffered an shoulder injury. Can any one recollect when this was during the game, I don't remember him getting injured.
At the final whistle I noticed our medical staff tending to one of our players. I couldn't see who it was but thought it was Lovren at the time.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I do tend to agree. I thought the officials did ok..........

Given recent comments on here re. the physicality of EPL football, I think some would prefer this style of officiating where most physical contact/challenges are blown up............ I wouldn't.

Keepers in Europe are given even more protection than they are in our league.

I think many would have been screaming for a red if VVD's tackle and follow through had been Fellaini on Salah.
I do agree with you regarding the physical contact in football, my problem with referee's is that they havent played the game and dont understand the nuisances or dark arts that happens when challenging for the ball or conning the referee.

As you mentioned VVD's challenge any player would have known that there was only intent to win the ball and with the angle he came, he couldnt know where Mertens foot would be. Its knowing this difference and then comparing it to Mee's challenge where his trailing leg came from behind to take the legs of Gomez - he knew what he was doing and is an example of the darkarts.

I have mentioned being a referee instructor and part of my instruction taking referees into our gym to discuss and talk about challenges and what players would potentially do that would be snide and against the rules, this is an area that referees need more and more instruction as learning the rule book ain't hard.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I don't entirely agree with that, or at least I think it is only right if you view it in a very narrow scope.

Reffing a game effectively is about more than a collection of decisions, it is about being in control, and, possibly even more importantly, being perceived to be in control. Players will cut you slack for getting something wrong if they otherwise trust you. If they dont trust you they will start feeling aggrieved even over "correct" decisions, and that is a positive feedback loop. So as someone who plated at a high level, and, unfortunately, many many times with refs who did not deserve to be on the same pitch as us, if you tell me we have a ref who is going to give me a yellow card for something he thought was a fair tackle after only a word or two in his ear from the lino, then that is not someone you're going to trust. Importantly, we're not talking a clear issue here - he thought a goal kick and then gave a corner on his lino's instruction. We're talking about the ref outsourcing his subjective judgement without the need for conversation.
Totally understand this and the VVD challenge is the prime example as you said earlier the referee was in a great position to see the challenge and officiate on it, however, if he did rely on a assistant referee (linesman) then like you as a player I would have doubts about this referee as the assistant referee was nowhere near the incident.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
It really is amazing how this guy gets blamed for things that didn't happen. Ok it didn't happen because of another player however there just isn't any need for it. Just celebrate the player that was influencial it's how heroes are born. :-)
Lovren was marking the player but didn't react pretty simple and me in that situation (can dream) I would have been lambasting myself for not following him then hugging Becker cos he saved my bacon

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Matip out for 6 weeks, fractured collorbone!

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I do agree with you regarding the physical contact in football, my problem with referee's is that they havent played the game and dont understand the nuisances or dark arts that happens when challenging for the ball or conning the referee.

As you mentioned VVD's challenge any player would have known that there was only intent to win the ball and with the angle he came, he couldnt know where Mertens foot would be. Its knowing this difference and then comparing it to Mee's challenge where his trailing leg came from behind to take the legs of Gomez - he knew what he was doing and is an example of the darkarts.

I have mentioned being a referee instructor and part of my instruction taking referees into our gym to discuss and talk about challenges and what players would potentially do that would be snide and against the rules, this is an area that referees need more and more instruction as learning the rule book ain't hard.
So at the weekend and Fellaini does this to Salah, you wouldn't have any problem? Be honest now...;-)

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
(Insert Napoli players name)foul was missed by the referee,VVD's foul which was only noticed by everyone other than the referee after a replay showed it again,personally thought it was a fucking brilliant tackle in real time but the replay showed it was a foul,amazing refereeing.:eh?:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Cannot agree with that. Won the ball cleanly. Opponent was about over a foot away at the time, foot was not raised , contact was minimal. The Commentator thought it was a well timed tackle after watching a replay and I tend to agree with him. Shortly afterwards a Napoli defender took Milner out with a 2 footed tackle, studs up and we did not even get a free kick. Very poor officials.
If you google Van Dyke Mertens you’ll find photos of the impact, which don’t look great. He was studs up, he hit Mertens leg, and it could have been a break.

I think it was a deserved yellow, and a borderline red.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
So at the weekend and Fellaini does this to Salah, you wouldn't have any problem? Be honest now...;-)

I don’t understand how anyone could look at that and conclude it was a fair tackle. It’s awful.

Magnus

(Insert Napoli players name)foul was missed by the referee,VVD's foul which was only noticed by everyone other than the referee after a replay showed it again,personally thought it was a fucking brilliant tackle in real time but the replay showed it was a foul,amazing refereeing.:eh?:
I believe it was the lineman that called it and spoke into the ref's ear, because the ref initially let game go on, and only blew the whistle 3-5 seconds later (something like that). I don't know, I am just uncomfortable when people (not you) insinuate that a ref is biased against a particular club, since that is match fixing. I believe ref's can be biased against individual players, even though they try not to, such as for instance maybe Neymar (for good reason), but I don't subscribe to match fixing theories such as refs hating individual clubs or UEFA setting up a particular ref so that a club will have a greater chance of losing, without very good evidence (I seriously don't think it happens in the Champions League).
I think we as fans are the ones who are biased and not referees tbh. But yes, he, the ref, did make some mistakes. Maybe I just have a greater respect for refs than most people, but I think ref's are always the fall guy for fans when a team lose, and errors a ref made is always highlighted i the extreme. Many refs have received so much abuse for errors (grave errors, sure) that they chose to end their career, and I find it sad.

Norway's best ref, Tom Henning Øvrebø, gave up after he made a catastrophic mistake against Chelsea. Chelsea fans inflamed by the abominable Morinhou made his life hell. For many years, he was a top, top referee refeering in the Champions League, world cup and the Euro. But that one big mistake cost him his career and he was hounded for years. It simply shouldn't be like that...

Edit: Sorry for being such a bore :-)

Last edited:

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
I believe it was the lineman that called it and spoke into the ref's ear, because the ref initially let game go on, and only blew the whistle 3-5 seconds later (something like that). I don't know, I am just uncomfortable when people (not you) insinuate that a ref is biased against a particular club, since that is match fixing. I believe ref's can be biased against individual players, even though they try not to, such as for instance maybe Neymar (for good reason), but I don't subscribe to match fixing theories such as refs hating individual clubs or UEFA setting up a particular ref so that a club will have a greater chance of losing, without very good evidence (I seriously don't think it happens in the Champions League).
I think we as fans are the ones who are biased and not referees tbh. But yes, he, the ref, did make some mistakes. Maybe I just have a greater respect for refs than most people, but I think ref's are always the fall guy for fans when a team lose, and errors a ref made is always highlighted i the extreme. Many refs have received so much abuse for errors (grave errors, sure) that they chose to end their career, and I find it sad.

Norway's best ref, Tom Henning Øvrebø, gave up after he made a catastrophic mistake against Chelsea. Chelsea fans inflamed by the abominable Morinhou made his life hell. For many years, he was a top, top referee refeering in the Champions League, world cup and the Euro. But that one big mistake cost him his career and he was hounded for years. It simply shouldn't be like that...

Edit: Sorry for being such a bore :-)
I tend to believe football is run by money men and run mainly to make money and the sport itself is secondary to them,it's why rich cheating bastards get away with what they get away with.

Coddite84

Delighted with the result and our defensive performance and midfield. Alisson, VVD and Robo were amazing as was Gigi... Mane and Bobby need to get a rocket up their arses, Mane fluffed his lines too many times and Bobby is nowhere near top of his game just now, bit part.

Magnus

I tend to believe football is run by money men and run mainly to make money and the sport itself is secondary to them,it's why rich cheating bastards get away with what they get away with.
Well, you are certainly correct there! I just don't think actual corruption among ref's is a problem in the Champions League, despite the history in for instance Italy.
Anyway, I believe we have discussed this to death now and I also know that my opinions are not necessarily popular ones. Allow me to wish you a very nice evening (for what is left of it anyway) and a good night ! :-) Let us instead rejoyce in the fact that Manchester United is playing an awful game tonight that is sure to make some people quite annoyed :tongue: Hopefully they will be rather deflated when they meet us at the weekend ;-)