• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Norway's best ref, Tom Henning Øvrebø, gave up after he made a catastrophic mistake against Chelsea. Chelsea fans inflamed by the abominable Morinhou made his life hell. For many years, he was a top, top referee refeering in the Champions League, world cup and the Euro. But that one big mistake cost him his career and he was hounded for years. It simply shouldn't be like that...
Few things wrong here bud.

Firstly, Mourinho wasn't in charge, Hiddink was.

Secondly, whilst I don't agree with making anybody's life hell, he didn't deserve to get another high level game after that performance. If I remember correctly it wasn't one mistake but 3 or 4 clear penalty decisions that he got wrong. Chelsea were well within their rights to complain as it was pure incompetence that cost them the tie.

I still found it hilariously funny at the time, but the point stands. If you perform that poorly you're out of your depth. He was.

Magnus

Few things wrong here bud.

Firstly, Mourinho wasn't in charge, Hiddink was.

Secondly, whilst I don't agree with making anybody's life hell, he didn't deserve to get another high level game after that performance. If I remember correctly it wasn't one mistake but 3 or 4 clear penalty decisions that he got wrong. Chelsea were well within their rights to complain as it was pure incompetence that cost them the tie.

I still found it hilariously funny at the time, but the point stands. If you perform that poorly you're out of your depth. He was.
Fair, I remembered incorrectly, some how I thought it was Mourinho. And yes, he had a terrible, terrible match, no doubt about that. However, he had many, many, many more very, very good ones at the highest level. It was for a good reason that he was referring on that level. Still, after that game he collapsed mentally due to all the extreme abuse he got and we lost what was absolutely without a doubt our best referee. But in England, he will of course only be remembered for that one game...

My main point is that refs are humans though.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
If you google Van Dyke Mertens you’ll find photos of the impact, which don’t look great. He was studs up, he hit Mertens leg, and it could have been a break.

I think it was a deserved yellow, and a borderline red.
Yep its reckless and dangerous, you got this one.

C

Caradoc

When you witness a refereeing performance like last night’s the most likely explanations are:

• The referee is totally incompetent and way out of his/her depth
  • The referee is deliberately attempting to influence the outcome of the game

Either way he/she shouldn’t be refereeing games at this level, or it could be argued, any competitive level.

jaffod

Should Koulibaly have seen red?
This is all really pissing me off now. That's 2 players we've lost in the last week due to reckless play from opponents. It could have been worse when you think of the Bardsley tackle on Moreno, the Veratti lunge on Gomez and the Cook attempt to stand on Mo's ankle. All deliberate.
But the people making the most noise are dickheads like Dyche who openly called Sturridge a cheat and Ancelotti banging on about how VVD should have been sent off.
As usual the silence from us is deafening. Same last season, Lukaku on Gomez, Holgate on Bobby, Ramos in CL final on Mo and Karius to name just a few. It's time to call these cunts out and make more of it. Unpleasant as it is it's time Klopp told our players to stay down and roll around instead of jumping back up as if nothing happened.
I'll guarantee you that miserable Portuguese twat will be telling his yard-dogs to leave a foot in on VVD and Lovren on Sunday, he's got plenty of form for it against us.
It's time to stop being so fucking nice, on and off the pitch.

XMarlin

I do agree with you regarding the physical contact in football, my problem with referee's is that they havent played the game and dont understand the nuisances or dark arts that happens when challenging for the ball or conning the referee.

As you mentioned VVD's challenge any player would have known that there was only intent to win the ball and with the angle he came, he couldnt know where Mertens foot would be. Its knowing this difference and then comparing it to Mee's challenge where his trailing leg came from behind to take the legs of Gomez - he knew what he was doing and is an example of the darkarts.

I have mentioned being a referee instructor and part of my instruction taking referees into our gym to discuss and talk about challenges and what players would potentially do that would be snide and against the rules, this is an area that referees need more and more instruction as learning the rule book ain't hard.
As a former player and referee I couldn't agree more.

The laws of the game require the officials to look at nuance in their interpretation.

My fear is that VAR will take away that what makes this "The beautiful game"...

But I digress...

Bottom line is we won, we move on...

YNWA

Magnus

When you witness a refereeing performance like last night’s the most likely explanations are:

• The referee is totally incompetent and way out of his/her depth
  • The referee is deliberately attempting to influence the outcome of the game

Either way he/she shouldn’t be refereeing games at this level, or it could be argued, any competitive level.
Or they can have a bad day. People do have bad days. Everyone does in fact. Then again, I didn't find the ref yesterday awful, like so many here apparently do, so there is that. I thought he just had maybe 2 decisions off and a few "continental" decisions that are maybe not normal in the Premier League (such as the foul against Milner), none of which had any impact on the game really. Perhaps I am too lenient or too used to continental football where fouls are more easily given. Anyway. I'll stop beating the dead horse now. I am aware that I am in the minority and shall shut up for now, I promise! :-)
Edit: I should watch the game again I guess, maybe, maybe I would agree then.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Van Dijk’s tackle on Mertens was only worthy of a card because of the elevation of his foot. When he commits to that tackle Mertens foot hasn’t even hit the ground yet and he’s less likely to get stepped on and injured if he leaves it off the ground like that. Was a strong tackle but zero intent. Depends on how you look at it

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Or they can have a bad day. People do have bad days. Everyone does in fact. Then again, I didn't find the ref yesterday awful, like so many here apparently do, so there is that. I thought he just had maybe 2 decisions off and a few "continental" decisions that are maybe not normal in the Premier League (such as the foul against Milner), none of which had any impact on the game really. Perhaps I am too lenient or too used to continental football where fouls are more easily given. Anyway. I'll stop beating the dead horse now. I am aware that I am in the minority and shall shut up for now, I promise! :-)
Edit: I should watch the game again I guess, maybe, maybe I would agree then.
No I completely agree with you. A ref makes one or two bad decisions that go against us and they are incompetent/crooks. Its the same every week and completely drags each PM thread down. I'm guessing its because they have nothing else to talk about?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Come off it. No ref in the sport is going to give a second yellow for that challenge.

You've all gone fucking bonkers.
Spot on, there was nothing wrong with the challange on Matip, it was merely bad luck that he fall awkardly and busted his collarbone in the process.

I bet if VVD goes through Fellani in a similar challange on the weekend most people on here would be jizzing themselves silly over it

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Cannot agree with that. Won the ball cleanly. Opponent was about over a foot away at the time, foot was not raised , contact was minimal. The Commentator thought it was a well timed tackle after watching a replay and I tend to agree with him. Shortly afterwards a Napoli defender took Milner out with a 2 footed tackle, studs up and we did not even get a free kick. Very poor officials.
Say his name! Say it!

That's right. It was Mcmanaman. A great player no doubt, but certainly not someone you want to be agreeing with as his opinions are lousy lol.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Mod edit: Wishing serious injury on a player is extremely bad form. Less of this in future.

Last edited by a moderator:

jabu

TIA New Signing
"Fabinho averages more tackles, interceptions, clearances and aerial duels than any other Liverpool midfielder this season"

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Say his name! Say it!

That's right. It was Mcmanaman. A great player no doubt, but certainly not someone you want to be agreeing with as his opinions are lousy lol.
Just watched the tackle again in slow motion and it was a good tackle .VVD blocked the ball with the outside of his left foot and there was definitely not enough contact ( if any) to warrant a yellow card. I see some are saying there are photos that suggest otherwise , well all I can say is they must have been taken from a bad angle or have been doctored. My slow motion has not been doctored. Anyone in any doubt should watch it again in slow motion, frame by frame.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Just watched the tackle again in slow motion and it was a good tackle .VVD blocked the ball with the outside of his left foot and there was definitely not enough contact ( if any) to warrant a yellow card. I see some are saying there are photos that suggest otherwise , well all I can say is they must have been taken from a bad angle or have been doctored. My slow motion has not been doctored. Anyone in any doubt should watch it again in slow motion, frame by frame.
I’ve watched it a few times in slow motion. There is a clip in this thread.

It was a bad tackle and VVD is lucky Mertens leg didn’t snap. Suggesting that any footage that shows this has been ‘doctored’ confirms others worst impressions of LFC fans.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Spot on, there was nothing wrong with the challange on Matip, it was merely bad luck that he fall awkardly and busted his collarbone in the process.

I bet if VVD goes through Fellani in a similar challange on the weekend most people on here would be jizzing themselves silly over it
A wonder if some of you have ever played footy, Koulibay made no attempt for the ball just basically charged into Matip's vertical space and smashed him in mid-air when he was jumping vertically, with no chance to protect himself!!!

Noo Noo

Yes for 2nd yellow not a straight red no intent to play the ball and was reckless
I would agree. That was a yellow all day. No effort to challenge for the ball whatsoever.

With regard to VvD's tackle. We got lucky there I reckon. Easy red in my opinion. If that had been the other way round we would have been screaming about for days on here. It looks horrible in slow motion. (the clip on here isn't available any more sadly)

Having been away with work etc. I've been able to calm down following the game and stew on things and there is one thing that really stands out for me in this game. Yes the performances across the pitch were excellent from Salah, everyone in defense but in this instance the midfield too. I'm still a little confused on how we didn't win that 4-0. I have no words on Alisson. Simply no words.

Wijnaldum will get the plaudits for what was an excellent performance. Milner was simply everywhere but right now I'd like to focus on Henderson. I've been really critical of him over the last few seasons and to me this was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance from him. First half we saw everything that winds me up about him. Slow in possession, playing the ball to players that basically put them under pressure and he didn't really control or drive the play in any direction. It felt quite timid and rather useless.

Second half though, wow. I thought it was a monster performance from him, a captains performance that actually brought the best out of Wijnaldum as well. That was the best performance I've seen from him in quite some time. Good on him. He controlled the base of the midfield, broke Napoli's attacks and put us on a front foot going forward.

Probably our best performance so far this season which is really exciting, but we paid for it with Matip and other possible niggles

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
A wonder if some of you have ever played footy, Koulibay made no attempt for the ball just basically charged into Matip's vertical space and smashed him in mid-air when he was jumping vertically, with no chance to protect himself!!!
Grew up playing football, afl and union playing rep teams bweteen 12 and 17 for football and afl. The challange itself was nothing and you see these at amature and lower league matches week in week out. The only problem is that Matip fell awkwardly which is what has caused the injury.

Limiescouse

Koulibay just went through him when he was in the air challenging for the ball, very bad foul but was missed as the ref then blew his whistle for full time
It was this exact challenge that was the beginning of the end of my career. Both he and we are lucky it is only 6 weeks with an injury that wont have any lingering issues.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I wonder if we have done enough to secure pot 2 for next season
Yes, if things froze as they are today, we are a Pot 2 side. That win almost doubled the coefficient points earned this season, we were on 8 and earn 2 for the win, 5 for getting to the knockout rounds. Final placement depends on who wins leagues, but LFC is #14 right now, just two points behind #12 (Roma and Shakhtar) - every side ahead of us is still alive in one of the two European competitions though.

Every time I look at that table and see a 0.00 for 16/17 it bothers me.