• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FGred

apparantly he is not 100% and playing injured, so i take back my criticism of mane
He just got the stitches off 2 days before game he should not have played but he was desperate to contribute. Sometimes he has been unlucky because he is coming very fast into a pass and then it’s just instinct there is no time to be composed even Salah missed a few just like the mane one

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Apart from his finishing Mane was exceptional the other night, I wouldn't be criticising him too harshly. He was constantly fighting for the ball. Plucked a couple of high ones out the air onto his chest whilst holding the full back off and retained possession.

Yeah, missed 2 huge chances (the one he got on target was slightly behind him) but he did an awful lot of work to keep the pressure off our back 4. That level of performance with his injury was a great effort.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Grew up playing football, afl and union playing rep teams bweteen 12 and 17 for football and afl. The challange itself was nothing and you see these at amature and lower league matches week in week out. The only problem is that Matip fell awkwardly which is what has caused the injury.
Still playing footy at 52, EUFA B Coach Football referee instructor & just because you see challenges in the local leagues doesnt mean they are right and btw always considered myself a physical type player just love getting stuck in, that was a cheap shot by Koulibay, who was Napoli's best player.

C

Caradoc

Yes for 2nd yellow not a straight red no intent to play the ball and was reckless

Without question ....... it was a definite yellow ....... ! The referee was ....... well ....... I won’t say it ....... but I know what I think he was and it was more than just incompetent .......... I’ll restrict myself to the word ‘Cyclops’ .........

FGred

Van Dijk’s tackle on Mertens was only worthy of a card because of the elevation of his foot. When he commits to that tackle Mertens foot hasn’t even hit the ground yet and he’s less likely to get stepped on and injured if he leaves it off the ground like that. Was a strong tackle but zero intent. Depends on how you look at it

I also thought Mertens wasn’t hurt and made it worse than it was he seemed to recover fairly quickly I know I got studs on my shin like that I did not recover I was subbed as I thought it was broken but you watch straight after the tackle he was wide eyed and not hurt but when the ref got his card out, he was then holding his shin as if it was snapped in two and notice his hands were slightly lower than where the studs landed, clearly he was trying to get VVD sent off

Flobs

FADA
I also thought Mertens wasn’t hurt and made it worse than it was he seemed to recover fairly quickly I know I got studs on my shin like that I did not recover I was subbed as I thought it was broken but you watch straight after the tackle he was wide eyed and not hurt but when the ref got his card out, he was then holding his shin as if it was snapped in two and notice his hands were slightly lower than where the studs landed, clearly he was trying to get VVD sent off
I clearly saw his ankle go over, that hurts. If it was me I would have had an ankle the size of a football within 5 mins. Some get over that type of thing quickly but it hurts at the time. As it was his ankle then yes it was below where VVD hit him. He even limped off the pitch. Perhaps he made more of it than it was necessary for him, who knows? What I am sure of is it hurt!