• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Great game! Once Napoli went all out attack for the equaliser, we could and should have scored several more. However, a 4-0 and a 1-0 would equal the same outcome, so no issues this time around.

Van Dijk should have been sent off. Fot above ground, stretched leg and hit the other player in such a way that he could have broken his ancle. I understand we are Liverpool fans, but you have to be blind not to admit we were very lucky with that decision. At least in my book.

All in all a great night!
Sean Dyche still doesn't think it was a foul.

Yellow was fair enough. Won the ball clean, caught the player dangerously in the follow through.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
What I like about that Alisson save is this.....if that’s Ming or karrius in the sticks, they score. Those 2 can’t concentrate long enough or react quick enough and we’d all be in here saying we should’ve won 6-1 but drew 1-1 and are out.
This is why you pay big money for top players and what a huge difference it’s making.
lovren - ok playing at right back but just let his man go in the 6 yard box. He has huge brain farts at crucial times. He needs to keep focus at all times.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I believe I have come up with a mathematical formula in order to help me with the score predictions, so according to my calculations it is going to be a 3-0 victory, which by further computations is 3 times what we need.
I will keep on working on that formula. Instead of 3 times what we need, it was 3 times the stress.

I will, over the next day or so, start preparing the pre game thread for the big one on Sunday.

[email protected]

Tbh mate, if it comes down to Napoli just needing a draw when they come to us then they'd better have iron clad knickers. Brendan Rodgers and Basel aside, thems the kind of night this Club has owned and created legends out of. I see your concern but don't give yourself a hernia either
I posted this two months ago. You guys can thank me later. I did, however, neglect to consider my knickers. Anything but iron clad, I'm afraid. Fuck me, browned them good and proper round about the 92nd minute.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
And breeeeeeeeaaaaaaathe!

That was amazing. Truly amazing. Thrilling.
Should have been at least 3-0.

Allison, is a monster goalie. Vvd is collusus.

Great night, good atmosphere. I’ll sleep tonight with a smile!

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Klopp: "Uefa probably thought they could continue the competition without Liverpool, but not yet."

What does he mean with this? That UEFA wanted us out? :eh?:
Uefa will keep pushing us with harder fixtures, biased refs, etc. We will for sure get the hardest possible in the next round too. If we win, its purely due to us.

LeoT

Was it that the Ref, his Dad, his Mum and both Grandparents all played for Napoli?
Or is he Ancelotti's only begotten son?

If not, why did EVERY POSSIBLE DECISION go Napoli's way?

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
And breeeeeeeeaaaaaaathe!

That was amazing. Truly amazing. Thrilling.
Should have been at least 3-0 in the second half, 5-0 in total.

Allison, is a monster goalie. Vvd is collusus.

Great night, good atmosphere. I’ll sleep tonight with a smile!
EFA

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Despite the worst midfield in the world, 1-0 that'll do!
I think you miss understand some people (like me) who think Henderson is not a great player. It is not the case, he is good. But for a Liverpool captain who leads the midfield? he is not there by a country mile. That's the issue, so many average games.
For now, let's celebrate.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
An immense game from a couple of guys who generally face low expectations. Wijnaldum was everywhere, and has to be wondering how he hasn't ended the night with at least 3 assists. I also thought we got an enormous amount from Matip's superb touch, passing and a couple of times even close control while dribbling. Their high press really started to falter when he started moving around.

Alisson had a huge save, made a couple of errors, but was also very effective generally with the ball at his feed otherwise. Not quite sure if he rates MoM, but it damn well felt that way at the end of the match.

-The Analyst-

Nope it would have classed as careless not reckless because there was not attempt to play the player and it was one footed and he won the ball in front of the play and from the side not behind. Unfortunate that Mehrtens momentum too him into VVD's foot
Well, I 100% disagree. Im relieved he got to stay on, but for me that's a red card every single time. Without question. Goes in with full power, fot above ground and hit the leg. Doesnt matter whether he hits the ball, he should have been sent off.

I find it hard to believe some people actually try to argue its not. But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Well nobody should ever question this club’s European credentials.

I don’t give a toss about the missed chances .............. these boys have delivered yet again in the true traditions of this amazing football club.

I am a very proud Liverpool supporter this evening ........ VERY proud!
Great post. Should be engraved on a plaque and displayed on a wall at Anfield!
Maybe remove the word ‘toss’ first. Ha ha

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
What I like about that Alisson save is this.....if that’s Ming or karrius in the sticks, they score. Those 2 can’t concentrate long enough or react quick enough and we’d all be in here saying we should’ve won 6-1 but drew 1-1 and are out.
I don’t know if you meant that save, but Mingnolet has proved he can pull out that jaw dropping point blank save.

The problem with him is that we’d have probably conceded long before that.

[email protected]

An immense game from a couple of guys who generally face low expectations. Wijnaldum was everywhere, and has to be wondering how he hasn't ended the night with at least 3 assists. I also thought we got an enormous amount from Matip's superb touch, passing and a couple of times even close control while dribbling. Their high press really started to falter when he started moving around.

Alisson had a huge save, made a couple of errors, but was also very effective generally with the ball at his feed otherwise. Not quite sure if he rates MoM, but it damn well felt that way at the end of the match.
A phenomenon that in years to come will be known as 'The Origi Effect'.