• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I find it hard to believe some people actually try to argue its not. But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion
what do you mean you find that hard to believe when that's part of the rules on the ref's judgement? Obviously the yellow card there is the minimal penalty he could get on that play. The official felt there was no bad intent on VVD's part in that tackle and that's why he got the yellow. Fair result. When watching the replay it's clear to me VVD catching him was accidental after he clearly won the ball first and had no bad intent on even touching him whatsoever... so for me the ref made the right call there.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
what do you mean you find that hard to believe when that's part of the rules on the ref's judgement? Obviously the yellow card there is the minimal penalty he could get on that play. The official felt there was no bad intent on VVD's part in that tackle and that's why he got the yellow. Fair result. When watching the replay it's clear to me VVD catching him was accidental after he clearly won the ball first and had no bad intent on even touching him whatsoever... so for me the ref made the right call there.
In my opinion, it wasn’t even a foul, never mind a yellow card. A damn good tackle.

Ron Swanson

We are through that all that matters, Gini was superb again tonight Alisson just the bloody dogs bollocks that save is the most crucial save since Dudek's in 2005 CL final, astonishing.
I want Porto next then Dortmand if they go through, then City then if we go all the way Madrid, we bloody owe them a proper beating.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Great save at the end definitely, but any other outcome in this game would have been a travesty. Front to back we were absolutely brilliant tonight and had it not been for some terrible finishing would have wiped the floor with them.

We are seriously good now, much better balanced than last season and running right into form. No one will want to play us in the next round.

Deadlock

TIA New Signing
Still sweating one hour after the game. What kind of monster is VVD this guy is amazing. Winning everything in the air and continuously heading the ball to the halfway line. And that interception when two Napoli players were waiting for the simple tap in was absolutely breathtaking. Henderson was quite good too today.

But that steely Alisson is a different thing he looks so much in control in crucial moments it is almost unreal. What a game and what a night I love this club to death.

Lidoris

TIA New Signing
I want Van Dijk available for them. Porto please. After what we did to them last year, it would be so funny.
Of course - you are right!
It was an emotional post by the echo of the past CL final... :)
Let's hope Klopp and our boys will be ready for ManU. CL is only a bonus for me.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
My favorite part of that, JK on the the backline and goalkeep getting credit for the clean sheet: "If you talk about that, how about how the 3 up front defended? They chased them from all around." and "Today the whole package was outstanding"

EDIT: There is also a very real joy in Jürgen for this group of players he has. Listen to him at the end. Absolutely gushing.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
In my opinion, it wasn’t even a foul, never mind a yellow card. A damn good tackle.
He nearly took his leg off, mate. It was a dangerous tackle and it warranted a yellow. Some refs would have given it a red.

The referee was atrocious, but he got that one right.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
So.... after I had some wine now, I have to say something....

All of our "midfield haters" should put their heads in shame! Or however you say this in english. The comments bevor the game were shocking and....
now I have to go back and drink another glass.
:wave:

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
He nearly took his leg off, mate. It was a dangerous tackle and it warranted a yellow. Some refs would have given it a red.

The referee was atrocious, but he got that one right.
No it didn’t, sorry to disagree with you.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Talk about making it difficult for ourselves. Should have been 4 or 5 nil.

I wonder if we'll see the same midfield against Man U? Would think that they're pretty knackered after that.
Gini was absolutely fucked, I'd be surprised if he played. He and Milner got through an unbelievable amount of work tonight and both were fantastic and won the midfield for us.

Don't know where to start with that one, everyone deserves a big pat on the back after that. Henderson took a while to get into the game, Firmino was very sloppy in the second half and Mane missed countless chances but I can't really fault the rest.

Onwards and upwards. Would like to avoid the bigger sides given Van Dijk misses the first leg, can deal with them later. Porto again would be nice.

FGred

Alison MOM just for that save alone. My God what a save. We handled the scenario well. Henderson was boss

Defence and midfield solid. Can excuse the wasteful nature from Mane because no need to score more than 1. Overall pleased and relieved
I had my headphones on after the Alisson save I shouted I LOVE YOU ALISSON
Wife: who the fucks Alison
Me: relax he isn’t a patch on you and he has a beard but he is the best goalie on the planet

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
So.... after I had some wine now, I have to say something....

All of our "midfield haters" should put their heads in shame! Or however you say this in english. The comments bevor the game were shocking and....
now I have to go back and drink another glass.
:wave:
Ah, let’s not do this. Let’s not cap a wonderful evening with a pop at fellow posters. I’m sure those complaining about the midfield before the match are happy to eat humble pie now.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Further observation from the statistics - that was a monster game from TAA, I thought it was good, but some amazing stuff when you add it all up.

More touches than any other LFC player. More accurate crosses than the rest of the team put together, most interceptions, second most tackles, no fouls. No wonder he looked spent.