• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Napoli (UCL 11/12/18 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 84 45.7%
  • Alexander-Arnold [off 90’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Henderson

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Milner [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Salah [GOAL 34’]

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Firmino [off 78’]

• Mane

• Keita [on 78’]

• Fabinho [on 85’]

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lovren [on 90’]

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Further observation from the statistics - that was a monster game from TAA, I thought it was good, but some amazing stuff when you add it all up.

More touches than any other LFC player. More accurate crosses than the rest of the team put together, most interceptions, second most tackles, no fouls. No wonder he looked spent.

Dimitriy

An immense game from a couple of guys who generally face low expectations. Wijnaldum was everywhere, and has to be wondering how he hasn't ended the night with at least 3 assists. I also thought we got an enormous amount from Matip's superb touch, passing and a couple of times even close control while dribbling. Their high press really started to falter when he started moving around.

Alisson had a huge save, made a couple of errors, but was also very effective generally with the ball at his feed otherwise. Not quite sure if he rates MoM, but it damn well felt that way at the end of the match.
...I also thought we got an enormous amount from Matip's superb touch, passing and a couple of times even close control while dribbling. Their high press really started to falter when he started moving around; - Of course ! And we were moving the ball a lot quicker, so their pressing started to falter further, so... Salah got much better passes and passed much better... Firmino !? The game looked much quicker, I thought he was certainly going to score...something has to be adjusted there. Would you agree?- All the best !

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
So.... after I had some wine now, I have to say something....

All of our "midfield haters" should put their heads in shame! Or however you say this in english. The comments bevor the game were shocking and....
now I have to go back and drink another glass.
:wave:
Well said, Livster...they should put their heads right up their arses.

Libero

What a game, really could have been 5 or 6 with the amount of chances we missed... don't need to be criticizing anyone tonight, everyone was brilliant. I expect Mane to bounce back against the mancs and get a couple, he usually does after he misses a few in a game.

Such an impressive performance, controlled, dominant in periods, the pressure at times was relentless, just before half time the lads stepped it up and we got the break through. Then in the 2nd the pressure was even more intense and I could not understand how we were not 3 or 4 up. Thought it might come back to bite us, but what a difference a couple of players make... Becker and VvD - monsters.

I could write an essay on each player tonight, everyone was fantastic, Robbo is a freak, Matip was so good, TAA for such a young kid did such a good job on Insigne who is such a dangerous player. We nullified there front 3 so well, great job by all and by Klopp.

The midfield, Gini was my MotM the guy was huge tonight, was everywhere, battled for everything, composed when needed to be, had such a good game. Don't need to say much about Milly, we have come to expect these sort of games from him. Hendo, very good as well, more forward balls, more positive, solid game.

Bobby, slowly coming back to his best, some nice little touches and good hold up play, you can see this system and style suits him more. Salah with a superb finish, had easier chances to put some away but puts away the most difficult. World Class, against a tough opponent in Koulibaly who for me was there best player. Mane, like I said, I expect a bounce back against the mancs, overall his link play and defensive work was great, just his finishing let him down.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Was it that the Ref, his Dad, his Mum and both Grandparents all played for Napoli?
Or is he Ancelotti's only begotten son?

If not, why did EVERY POSSIBLE DECISION go Napoli's way?
He wasn’t bad or biased at all....

He was just really incompetent, every slight brush was penalised well if it was a Liverpool player on a Napoli player and at least four times he pointed the wrong way to signal which side had got the throw or foul.

I was Surprised he didn’t penalise Salah on the goal, after all he was fouled at least twice (Salah that is).

I’ve actually seen far better Saturday afternoon refs and the level we play most of them collect their pensions.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
No votes for Milner is a surprise, thought he had a boss game.
It is tough on a night like this, when no one really blows it open with goals but everyone stands up to be counted. I am still mulling over Alisson as the emotional choice for THAT save, Salah for the goal, Wijnaldum because he was everywhere, TAA for suffocating that side of the field and turning into threat, and Matip for a phenomenal match.

LeoT

He wasn’t bad or biased at all....

He was just really incompetent, every slight brush was penalised well if it was a Liverpool player on a Napoli player and at least four times he pointed the wrong way to signal which side had got the throw or foul.

I was Surprised he didn’t penalise Salah on the goal, after all he was fouled at least twice (Salah that is).

I’ve actually seen far better Saturday afternoon refs and the level we play most of them collect their pensions.

After the goal, I half expected the ref to book Salah for over-celebrating :)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
It is tough on a night like this, when no one really blows it open with goals but everyone stands up to be counted. I am still mulling over Alisson as the emotional choice for THAT save, Salah for the goal, Wijnaldum because he was everywhere, TAA for suffocating that side of the field and turning into threat, and Matip for a phenomenal match.
And still you haven't mentioned Robertson who was also phenomenal. Says it all...

Pharaoh

Klopps and Robbers anyone?
Well that was stressful, but a great result! Fantastic all round.

Matip had another solid performance. Great to see.

The keeper has kept us in so many games this season. Worth every penny. Best keeper I’ve seen at LFC.

My only gripe is with mane, should have tucked at least 1 goal away.

Let’s hope the draw is kind!

Timbo

Evening / Morning. I'm new, Hello everyone :)

Been lurking for a while, I live in Italy so watch all our matches on streams, got in the habit of following your forum when the stream goes down :)

I'm a Belfast-born fortysomething, been LFC since watching the Crown Paints yellow away side on MOTD sometime in the early '80s. I'm a bit of a nomad, left Belfast for Glasgow in '93, then lived in Sheffield, Lincoln, London for a long time, then Brighton before emigrating. I've watched every match I can in a pub or online for thirty years. I've seen us live a few times when I lived in London - defeats at Stamford Bridge and Wembley - finally made it to Anfield, though just the once so far - Swansea 5-0 in 2013, Coutinho's home debut (and he scored).

Been at the whisky tonight and finally got round to registering. Just wanted to say hi and tell you that I've enjoyed your in-match commentary / analysis / griping for a while now and decided to pitch in.

Re: tonight... phew, that was a brown-trouser event. Felt sick when VVD got that early card, but he was magnificent after that, never gave the ref any excuse to send him off. Thought that was the best I've seen Matip play for us. The midfield isn't what I'd have put out but they all pitched up tonight so fair play. Front three are special but still haven't all clicked at the same time yet this season, thankfully Mo being Mo was enough on the night. Really hope this inspires them for MU on the weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens at Valencia tomorrow.

Allison... what can you say. It's been less than 6 months but surely he's been worth his fee already.

Sorry for long post. Nice to be here.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Although Becker was man of the moment, not match; he is up there tonight on pure emotion, you're right. This is football :shocked: Robertson was also first one out the blocks, great player. What a find.

Flobs

FADA
I think you miss understand some people (like me) who think Henderson is not a great player. It is not the case, he is good. But for a Liverpool captain who leads the midfield? he is not there by a country mile. That's the issue, so many average games.
For now, let's celebrate.
It's a bit rich that I get accused of misunderstanding others on this site considering how some reply to my comments about Wijnaldum. :J
As for Henderson he's a good player who has the mental qualities to be a captain and showed it tonight. He, and Wijnaldum for that matter, I feel are restrained in that deeper role (with Fabinho now coming in perhaps we will see both in their more 'prefered/natural positions) as we saw tonight when free to drive forward Henderson gives another dimension.
As for celebating my tears of pride dampened the initial dances but they are in full swing now. :celebrating:

Edit my dances are in full swing not the tears. lol

Last edited: