• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Reading

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Doesn't make logical sense playing a DM against lesser teams.

It's like asking lancaster bombers from the RAF to fly low below german radar on night sorties when they don't need to.
I still think Lucas' game inelligence is useful against lesser sides. Firstly he snuffs out counter attacks which they rely on, and secondly his comfort dropping back into defence allows the full backs to operate more as quasi wingers - releasing two players forward for the price of one sitting back.

HeighwaytoHull

Banned Users
I still think Lucas' game inelligence is useful against lesser sides. Firstly he snuffs out counter attacks which they rely on, and secondly his comfort dropping back into defence allows the full backs to operate more as quasi wingers - releasing two players forward for the price of one sitting back.
Yep - the attacking contribution of the DM is to allow the fullbacks to get forward. It's not one more defensive player in the lineup, it's one more player available to attack and more width.

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
I'm now convinced that the referees have been instructed by their boss, Old Mother Riley, to subtley carry out his private vendetta against Liverpool.
Does Luis have to be pole-axed a la Schumacher v Battiston 1982 to get a free kick?

Whilst not getting carried away, I thought Brad Jones did well - Pepoe has some decent competition now.

I would also like to see Assaidi and Samed Yesil given more starts.
Samed may take some of the burden off Luis for scoring.
Perhaps on Thursday, we'll se more of both.

Above all, well done Redmen - we fully deserved that win.
On MotD, I wonder what the dickhead with the ears will say about Luis not getting the free kicks he should have?
Perhaps Hansen will finally give hime a well-deserved slap.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Considering our woeful form against promoted teams in recent seasons I'm glad we won ahead of a tough run of league fixtures.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Rodgers saying in his post match conference that we had 19 shots on goal.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Lets get the bad points out of the way first, Suarez. His finishing was bad again but worse than that, the stream i watched (which was admittedly bad) showed 2 clear dives and not sure if he was touched just before the end of the first half. I understand he is probably very fed up with refs not giving him anything but that really wont help him.

Good points, MOTM for me was Gerrard just pipping Jones though i thought Sterling and Glen played well. Also have to say how good we looked when Enrique played left wing in front of Glen, played 3 great crosses, a definite option to give Sterling a rest. Gerrard seemed to be back to his best and looked like he was given license to spray passes again just like in the old days. All we really need is a top striker, someone who can put the ball in the net a damn site better than Luis. I used to think Defoe was overrated but have to admit he can finish and would make an hell of a difference to us but there are better options if we can spend.

Thrilled with the win, hope we can go on a bit of a run now especially with the few hard games coming up.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Just back from the match. Patchy performance with the defensive looking again shakey. Wisdom is the only defensive player really standing out. I don't include glen in that list as tho a personal man of the match he really is playing so forward at the moment that we almost seemed to play three at the back today. Suarez missed a few chances he should have converted and one that even I would have buried. Had decent seats in the Annie Road end and was great to have Sterling score his first of hopefully many right in front of us.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
One word Holt.
they looked a better side when he came on against us and scored 2 goals.Personally I think he is very underrated.
Even then Holt as a forward has nothing to do with the awful defensive display, it was the same Norwich regardless that we thrashed but that wasn't good enough if I remember because we shipped two goals after we gave up caring

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
3 points is 3 points. That's all there is.
Lets be realistic: Against a better team than Reading it could have been nil points today. We still look fragile at the back without Lucas in front of the back four, and while this situation continues we'll have to be more clinical in front of goal, however none of our current squad seem capable of being that alas.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Lets be realistic: Against a better team than Reading it could have been nil points today. We still look fragile at the back without Lucas in front of the back four, and while this situation continues we'll have to be more clinical in front of goal, however none of our current squad seem capable of being that alas.
And how many times have we outplayed a 'better' team and not got anything? That's football.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
As a contrast, I watched the last fifteen minutes of spuds vs chelski before our match. And afterwards the highlights of United vs Stoke.

The gulf in quality between them and us is staggering. Not so much in the build up play, but in the finishing. We still seem to lack the edge, the killer instinct, that step up in class, or whatever the fuck it is, to just finish the job that we started.

We can have as much youth, or potential, or pretty play as you like, but until we can start slotting home the half chances on a consistent basis we are not going anywhere in a hurry.

Whether that means the current youngsters developing quicker, Suarez getting a new set of boots, or buying a proven finisher in January I really don't care. Because until we start being more ruthless then this sort of bitsy bullshit will just continue.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Shots: 23

Shots on target: 8

As long as this awful shot accuracy ratio won't go up, we will struggle to finish off matches. Otherwise, there are plenty of positives to note:

- Jones was excellent at goal. He has improved massively it seems. Had a few important saves to make, and made them very well. Deserved clean sheet for him.

- solid defensive play throughout, no individual errors costing a goal. Wisdom excellent again.

- Excellent midfield play, resulting in a huge load of chances created.

- Sterling and Suso excellent, both with their vision and danger for the opposition.

- brillant first goal for Sterling, a thoroughly deserved one.

We were better in the first half than in the second, which probably had to do with tiring legs after the internationals, but it's good to see that everyone has come through unscathed, and that we managed to keep that lead until the end. That's the kind of games which we have struggled to win in recent seasons. We did it today, and that's good.
Agree with all this except there seemed to be some sloppy defending for approx 15 mins in second half
Wondering how high Raheem's hair will go

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Granted Luis is wasteful but lets not lose sight that the top goalscorer in the Premier League has 6 goals, Luis has 5, yes could be more but pretty impressive as many of them he is having to create himself.
I loved the way Suarez was intentionally looking for ways to create opportunities for his teammates in the first half. And what a pass to Sterling for the goal. The guy never stops working - for the 94 minutes.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
God i hate games when they are played after a international break.

It was obvious in the second half that tiredness was an issue but god knows how Suarez kept going. The man needs a rest and soon. Johnson or Jones were the MOTM for me, Gerrard was fine, Allen is playing like a new Lucas, he does his job quietly and efficiently and kudos to Sterling, really made up for him and he looked delighted. Fantastic.

Really needed that win and i'll take a win and clean sheet anytime. Funniest moment was the crowd giving standing ovations to the ref when he gave free kicks to Suarez. Must admit that it was the only time the crowd got loud.

It's been mentioned before by others but we really need to get Lucas back so that Stevie can move forward and not be trying to do it all. It will free up the midfield, make it more fluid. And finally, Enrique came back and provided at least three good chances that should of been buried so fair play to him and hopefully Brendan will ask him to pass the ball sooner rather than later if he becomes a regular in the first team again. Overall, just fine but will need to tighten up against the better teams. Hurry up Lucas, Liverpool need you!!!

Just to get a few likes, watching BBC and have concluded that Shearer, Fergie and Fat Sam are still w#nkers..........

Colin

TIA First Team
Good to see us win.

I watched the whole game live via stream and i thought we absolutely dominated first half and should have really been atleast 2 up.

Second half we tired. Our defence just doesnt seem solid so far this season and it's worrying. So many times we could have been punished.

We are developing well though. I just hope we can continue to build and get a few good players in Jan and in the summer. That was pretty much our best 11 today (minus Lucas) and we just aren't as formidable as we were a couple of years ago. But we'll get there.

7 points out of 9 is just what the doctor ordered.

Gears

TIA Regular
Random: Just read a wiki on Brad Jones' background, the poor sod lost his son to leukemia not too long ago. RIP.

HeighwaytoHull

Banned Users
Random: Just read a wiki on Brad Jones' background, the poor sod lost his son to leukemia not too long ago. RIP.
Yeah, you don't remember last season when he dedicated his performance in the league to his son Luca, the game when he came on after Doni had been sent off? The club's loyalty and support of him might have been the only reason he's been here as long as he has been, but credit to him, he's put in good displays this season.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
[quote name='craig bellamy's golf club' timestamp='1350775866' post='15678']
God i hate games when they are played after a international break.

It was obvious in the second half that tiredness was an issue but god knows how Suarez kept going. The man needs a rest and soon. Johnson or Jones were the MOTM for me, Gerrard was fine, Allen is playing like a new Lucas, he does his job quietly and efficiently and kudos to Sterling, really made up for him and he looked delighted. Fantastic.

Really needed that win and i'll take a win and clean sheet anytime. Funniest moment was the crowd giving standing ovations to the ref when he gave free kicks to Suarez. Must admit that it was the only time the crowd got loud.

It's been mentioned before by others but we really need to get Lucas back so that Stevie can move forward and not be trying to do it all. It will free up the midfield, make it more fluid. And finally, Enrique came back and provided at least three good chances that should of been buried so fair play to him and hopefully Brendan will ask him to pass the ball sooner rather than later if he becomes a regular in the first team again. Overall, just fine but will need to tighten up against the better teams. Hurry up Lucas, Liverpool need you!!!

Just to get a few likes, watching BBC and have concluded that Shearer, Fergie and Fat Sam are still w#nkers..........
[/quote]

Oooh I dunno if I agree. I thought Joe was sloppy today and I feel like he has been the past few games. I think he could probably do with a nice rest.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
FINISHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Other than that, I'll take that result all year.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
There is not much better than a flawed win for a new manager talking to a young team. We picked up 3 points and can talk about it as if it was a loss. An emphatic win would have been nice heading into the next 6 fixtures, but staying hungry is worth something too.

Reactions: TFC

alaskared

Kloppite
Elated about a home win against a poor side! Seems strange to be so happy but will take the 3 points ! Congratulations and thank you!

If Suarez or Sterling gets injured we are screwed.

Where were you last season? Quite dramatic what with suspended keepers and league cup semis and finals and all...........

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Just watched the game again in a quieter state. Two observations:

i) Rodgers must have been incredibly frustrated in the last 25 minutes with our willingness to abandon possession. The mental commitment to keep possession is still a long way away from what he had in Swansea, albeit with the benefit of a lot more time. Our defence is coming under some criticism after a clean sheet, and I think that is down to the whole team's mentality. I suspect these 3 points had become a very heavy burden after 89 minutes.

ii) Suarez - unbelievable to me that he is getting criticism for anything other than the precision of his finishing. What a horse! I guarantee you that if you made 95% of the people posting about him run for 90 minutes in La Paz on Tuesday, they would be so knackered Saturday they could not have been bothered getting out of bed today. He was still scrapping for the ball in the 87th minute. Unreal. He is actually almost dangerous for a manager, because I doubt he is ever going to say he has nothing left and really should not play. Just 10% of that heart could make a player of Downing.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I am glad that finally our side grinded out a result as compared to previous matches. We no less deserved a win based on the chances we created.

There are many things to talk about but I would like to focus my criticisms squarely on Suarez and though I will get probably a lot of criticisms on this, I must say what I need to say.

Suarez is not an out and out striker but neither is he Jamie Carragher who cannot score to save his own life. He has been touted as possibly one of the best forwards of this era. And best forwards score goals. ok so he has scored 5. very good. Ok so he is our best player because he embarks on mazy runs, nutmegs players, tries very hard, tries new things, tries difficult passes, tries to break defences, he does everything except scoring in the easiest of chances. I am not even just talking about last night but in so many matches, if he had just put away half the chances in the positions he finds himself in, we would be much better off and he would be double figures. If all our praises towards our best player is because he "runs his socks off", then I do not see why Dirk Kuyt should be any different. Yes it is not fair to put all the burdens on him, but if we can harshly criticise our owners on off field events for not doing what they should, then I do not see why we should not criticise Suarez or any so called star players for not stepping up and doing what they are paid tonnes to do.

I hate this but Cristiano Ronaldo for the prick he is and too not an out and out striker and he too embarks on mazy runs and gets into positions, anyone wanna guess whats the different between him and Suarez? That prick puts balls into the net at an alarming regularity. Perhaps think that he is the best player in our team, he is the only recognised striker we have, he is now untouchable and I see how casual he is sometimes in striking the ball, in trying to make glorious passes. Our best player, deserving of all our praises? I would like to think again. Sorry for the rant, now you all can shoot me.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I am glad that finally our side grinded out a result as compared to previous matches. We no less deserved a win based on the chances we created.

There are many things to talk about but I would like to focus my criticisms squarely on Suarez and though I will get probably a lot of criticisms on this, I must say what I need to say.

Suarez is not an out and out striker but neither is he Jamie Carragher who cannot score to save his own life. He has been touted as possibly one of the best forwards of this era. And best forwards score goals. ok so he has scored 5. very good. Ok so he is our best player because he embarks on mazy runs, nutmegs players, tries very hard, tries new things, tries difficult passes, tries to break defences, he does everything except scoring in the easiest of chances. I am not even just talking about last night but in so many matches, if he had just put away half the chances in the positions he finds himself in, we would be much better off and he would be double figures. If all our praises towards our best player is because he "runs his socks off", then I do not see why Dirk Kuyt should be any different. Yes it is not fair to put all the burdens on him, but if we can harshly criticise our owners on off field events for not doing what they should, then I do not see why we should not criticise Suarez or any so called star players for not stepping up and doing what they are paid tonnes to do.

I hate this but Cristiano Ronaldo for the prick he is and too not an out and out striker and he too embarks on mazy runs and gets into positions, anyone wanna guess whats the different between him and Suarez? That prick puts balls into the net at an alarming regularity. Perhaps think that he is the best player in our team, he is the only recognised striker we have, he is now untouchable and I see how casual he is sometimes in striking the ball, in trying to make glorious passes. Our best player, deserving of all our praises? I would like to think again. Sorry for the rant, now you all can shoot me.
i dont think youll get criticism.

i disagree, but thats not a criticism.

i wasnt able to watch the game, ive taped it and will achance tomoz to watch, but....i just disagree 100% with your view...to say suarez is a workhorse with skill is unfair imho.

frustrating at times, yes.

and to call a football player out for not being christiano ronaldo is quite bizarre.

to me, suarez shouldnt be through the middle on his own...it begins and ends there.

lets see what jan brings and in the meantime just back the guy that probably should be angling for a move out of england by now.

Rooster

What a hit son
Finally our Keeper MOTM instead of the oppositions. Onya Brad.

Still the same in front of goals though.