• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-0 Reading

Rooster

What a hit son
Good outcome with Spurs and Arse losing as they are the likely challengers for 4th. Or are we back in the hunt?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
i dont think youll get criticism.

i disagree, but thats not a criticism.

i wasnt able to watch the game, ive taped it and will achance tomoz to watch, but....i just disagree 100% with your view...to say suarez is a workhorse with skill is unfair imho.

frustrating at times, yes.

and to call a football player out for not being christiano ronaldo is quite bizarre.

to me, suarez shouldnt be through the middle on his own...it begins and ends there.

lets see what jan brings and in the meantime just back the guy that probably should be angling for a move out of england by now.
Yes i understand and respect that people will disagree. I am not asking him to be Ronaldo. I am asking Suarez to be a finisher, as any good Forwards should do. If the whole team is not creating chances, fair enough. But as a top forward and in the positions he finds himself in and yet missing alot of it, is he really a top forward as we make him out to be? He is no doubt the best we have and I also have no doubt that he is not, but he can be one of the best the world has ever seen. If only he focuses on finishing moves that he started and finishing moves that his team mates carved out. That is how a top forward should be. We make no excuses for the non results for the owners. I too advocate that we make no excuses for a top player who are missing too many chances.

Yes i understand and respect that people will disagree. I am not asking him to be Ronaldo. I am asking Suarez to be a finisher, as any good Forwards should do. If the whole team is not creating chances, fair enough. But as a top forward and in the positions he finds himself in and yet missing alot of it, is he really a top forward as we make him out to be? He is no doubt the best we have and I also have no doubt that he is not, but he can be one of the best the world has ever seen. If only he focuses on finishing moves that he started and finishing moves that his team mates carved out. That is how a top forward should be. We make no excuses for the non results for the owners. I too advocate that we make no excuses for a top player who are missing too many chances.
Of course he is a top forward. He has shown that consistently at both club and International level. His finishing may be a bit off currently but the thing to take into account is that he creates more than 80% of the chances himself and still ends up providing quite a few assists. I don't know exactly why he is not as lethal as he used to be Ajax (scoring 81 goals from 110 appearances playing as a wide forward) but he has already scored 7 goals and 3 assists this season and if only we had another clinical forward to partner him I'm sure we as a team would be scoring bucket loads of goals. That is something we should have addressed this summer but unfortunately failed to do so. Just have to hope the owners and manager are smart enough not to neglect that in the January transfer window.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
People have been harping about Lucas's absence in the side.Well I hope Hendo is given a go.He has shown wonderful discipline & ball winning abilities.He has been largely used as a DM and frankly I can't remember a bad performance from him.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to use him with Allen in the midfield, to push the Welshman forward-----with Steven on RW.

nzkop1te

making lemonade out of a lemon
boy oh boy do we need a finisher. I know it's been said to death but geez it's frustrating how many opportunities that get wasted. Quite definitely, January can't come quick enough to get a half decent striker.
happy that we won, but arrgh it's getting hard to take seeing those chances not taken to ease the nerves.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Good outcome with Spurs and Arse losing as they are the likely challengers for 4th. Or are we back in the hunt?
On yesterday's performance? You joking or what?
Nice to see so much optimism. It seems Suarez still hasn't learnt his lesson, twice he "fell" over on his own. He will never get the trust of ref's if he doesn't man up. Probably thinks that with all our "Great" attacking options he nee4ds to cheat. Luis, just play a clean game, you are too good, you don't need to drop like a feather.
The second half was abysmal. Seemed to me that we were waiting for them to roll over until we were all knackered. Jones MOM, well that says it all.
Not impressed at all. OK, it was the Anfield win we needed, but what happens it we draw or lose the next three, everything's back on track?
This was Reading who were in the bottom three before yesterday's game a few places below us.
Much more work to do methinks.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Oooh I dunno if I agree. I thought Joe was sloppy today and I feel like he has been the past few games. I think he could probably do with a nice rest.
Fair enough, but do you agree with my most important point...................Shearer, Fergie and fat sam are wankers?

Honestly, people sometimes look too deep into my posts............................................... ^_^

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Finally 3 points at home!

First was really good, second half not good. No complaints cause we got the 3 points and I wasn't too worried about Reading scoring but there were a few moments that might have lead to troubling situations. But we showed that if we have to sit back and defend that we can do that too, a good thing to have confidence in for the players and fans.

We still have problems with the finishing off of chances in front of goal. Sahin could have had a few goals, Suarez too but thankfully RaHEEM scored, hopefully the first of many.

Strange but understandable decision by Rodgers to bring on Enrique to play on the left wide forward spot then bring on Henderson to play on the right. Hopefully its not going to be something he's going to do too much in the future. When the confidence goes up and we are winning home games then he better not he settling for a 1-0 winning position by making this many defensive substitutions. Jose did look pretty good when he came on but LB is his position not left wing or left wide forward. Henderson, what is he? CM yes but a playmaker? A holding player? Seems he's best as a utility player for now, doing whatever is needed.

Everton next in the league, tough one.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Great first half we totally controlled and we should have won by 5 for all the chances we created.

Second half the boys all looked very tired and the game opened up which given internationals and a lot of travel and prolly a few niggly injuries and knocks being carried into the game it was to be expected, however we looked solid and dealt with most everything they threw at us. Special mention to B Rad in goals, prolly the best game I have seen him play at any level.

And congrats to Raheem on the first of many

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Was I the only one who found it a bit strange that both Enrique and Henderson was giving gamtime on the wings over assaidi?

anyway I'm glad we finally got a victory, but we keep on struggling with scoring, I would love to see us solve that.

HeighwaytoHull

Banned Users
Was I the only one who found it a bit strange that both Enrique and Henderson was giving gamtime on the wings over assaidi?

anyway I'm glad we finally got a victory, but we keep on struggling with scoring, I would love to see us solve that.
May have just been a matter of defensively solidity. Still, Assaidi still has yet to make the grade and I'm beginning to wonder whether he will. We can't seem to buy a decent winger. We'll just have to keep producing world class ones!

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team

Noticed that but think it's cause Assaidi isn't used to the physicality just yet and wouldn't be too much of a help defensively and that's why he went with jose. I must say tho jose made a great winger, some of his passes and crosses were amazing, real quality.

blndcat

TIA Youth Team
Positives: 3 points, Brad played half-decent*, Sterling's goal was a beauty. Enrique looked lively when he came on.
Negatives: We badly need to sort out the striker situation. The only reason we didn't drop points was that Reading didn't have the quality to hurt us.

If we have 12 chances, we should be looking at converting 2-3. If we had a Torres/Fowler-like striker, we wouldn't be having nervy 10-15 mins at the end of games.

* I know some posters have said Brad was a candidate for MOTM, but there were a couple of occasions he didn't come for crosses and was lucky that nothing came of them

OhYaBeauty

People have been harping about Lucas's absence in the side.Well I hope Hendo is given a go.He has shown wonderful discipline & ball winning abilities.He has been largely used as a DM and frankly I can't remember a bad performance from him.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to use him with Allen in the midfield, to push the Welshman forward-----with Steven on RW.
Have you been watching Being:Liverpool? Apparently Rodgers' dream midfield (before Sahin signed) was Lucas Allen and Shelvey with Stevie on the right wing. I won't believe it till I see it, though (regards to Stevie playing on the wing)

sami

TIA First Team
My Post Match Analysis on the Reading game.

Liverpool got their first Premier League win of the season at Anfield. It wasn't convincing, but it was 3 points nevertheless. 17 year old Raheem Sterling became the second youngest scorer in Liverpool history as he scored the only goal of the game with a neat finish. With that home win Liverpool have taken 7 points out of a possible 9 over the last 3 games. Its positive, and its crucial that the team get a successful run together.
Line Up

With Pepe Reina out with an injury sustained on international duty (or international training rather), Brad Jones got his first Premier League start of the season. Youngster Andre Wisdom retained his spot at right-back for the 3rd consecutive game. Johnson continued down the left, much of his game though was played in midfield. Skrtel and Agger partnered each other at the back. Allen and Gerrard took the deeper midfield position with Sahin playing behind the striker. Suso celebrated his new contract with a spot on the right side of attack, Sterling played on the opposite side. Suarez, despite fatigue being a problem, started atop the front 3.

Performance

Liverpool had the game under control throughout the 90 minutes. The defence looked a bit nervous in the second half and a stronger opposition could have punished us. It was a decent result, plenty of chances created again.

The midfield were involved in the attack often and got forward when they can to provide support to Luis Suarez. The defence hardly needed to get involved in the first half which encouraged the full-backs forward. Johnson especially operated more in midfield than at the back. Suso had a quiet game, didnt get involved much. But Raheem Sterling worked very well and got into the game whenever he could. He was electric and made a constant nuisance of himself against the Reading defence, who found it difficult to handle him.
  • Patient passing, lots of possession in oppositions half

The players stringed lots of passes together, there was not much urgency but rather a patient build-up, waiting for the right moment. Something that is important for any form of tiki-taka, it shows confidence in your own ability to be able to pass it around without getting anxious. Plenty of times the players had the ball around the box and found it a bit hard to get through the Reading defence. They didn't lose the ball though, instead they continued to retain possession.

As that picture above shows, plenty of occasions the players were just happy to pass the ball around in the final third. The opposition found it difficult to get the ball off the Liverpool players. This is where the Rodgers' style of training came into display. Confident play like this by the team has to be taught by the coaches. It could be something as simple as a game of 'piggy/monkey in the middle'. We've all played it, havent we?

That passing pegged Reading back and forced them to defend, something we will need to become used to this season. The more we implement tiki-taka like football, the more teams are gonna be forced back, and compelled to defend in numbers. For much of the game, Progbenyak was the only Reading player in the Liverpool half (more specifically in the center circle). The rest of the team were behind the ball. The players saw alot of the ball, and controlled the game.

However, with time, its crucial that the team begins to turn that possession and passing into goals.
  • Midfielders getting forward
The lack of striking options have been highlighted, and to compensate for that its vital that our midfielders get into the box more often. The wide men too would need to cut inside into the box. A big problem last season for the club was that the midfielders were hesitant to get in, and not confident enough to have the ball in the final third.​

But Rodgers' is ensuring that the midfielders get involved more. Once again yesterday, Sahin was in the box for a lot of the game. One would think he was partnering Suarez rather than playing in the hole.​

When Sahin moved further forward to play alongside (and ahead of Suarez) Gerrard also advanced higher up the pitch to pick up any second balls.​

This one above is the incident in the first minute of the half where Suarez played the ball to Sterling (on the ball) and he hit it at the keeper. Sahin as can be seen moved into the box while Gerrard was making a run from the edge of it.

Another instance of a similar scenario occurred where Suarez picked up Mccarthy's poor clearance. Sahin got into the box instantly (although Suarez went himself) while Gerrard was close behind as well.

Gerrard began the game operating defensively and playing surprisingly deep. It could have been tired legs from international duty. A talk from Brendan may have encouraged him as he seemed to move up more in the second half.

Another encouraging sign was how frequently Allen was moving forward as well. Due to Lucas' injury Allen has had to take his place but Liverpool fans are yet to see Joe Allen's attacking quality, which is as effective and difficult to contend with like his defensive play.

Here we can see a situation where Suarez got the ball and as the side prepared the counter attack, Sterling got forward as usual, but Allen was high up in final third as well.

Defenders are usually not prepared to defend the late runs of midfielders into the box and they usually find themselves with lots of space. Gerrard is someone who has thrived on those runs into the box, its good to see the rest of the midfielders willing to do this as well.
  • Suarez and Sterling linking up

Hes 17 years old but Raheem Sterling is quickly turning into a terrific talent. He has an incredible level of strength for his age, and a surprisingly high level of composure despite his lack of experience. Suarez last season was able to combine well with Kuyt. This season, Sterling is able to connect with the Uruguayan very well and effectively. Sterling too will be able to learn a lot from the no.7.

Early on the two combined for the first real chance of the match. Although Suarez played it slightly behind Sterling. He should have played the pass just ahead of the youngster to allow him to run on to the ball and make a first time effort.

They are able to see each others moves well and both were able to play between each other perfectly. Both knew what the other was thinking. The goal too came from a combination of those two, starting from a counter attack.

Suarez got the ball and played a first time through ball. Suarez knew where Sterling was and where he was moving, while Sterling knew exactly what Suarez was thinking and where to run. To move started before the ball came to Suarez. This movement and anticipation is the play that Suarez dwells on, its great to see that its rubbing off onto the youngsters as well.

We may not see it in the series Being: Liverpool but Rodgers could definitely be telling the younger players to follow Suarez' basic play.

This was a chance that Sterling fashioned out for Suarez in the second half. You can see Suarez pointing to exactly where he wants the ball and Sterling duly obliges. Unfortunately Suarez wasn't able to find the finish.

• Not giving Reading players space or time on the ball

Another part of Liverpool's play was closing down the men on the ball, the players successfully closed down the players passing options. They marked all the men around the ball, attempting to make it difficult for them to make any sort of pass. Which is why plenty of times Reading players were robbed off the ball and lost possession. Liverpool prepared counter attacks from then on.

As it can be seen above, the player on the ball was being marked, the two players closest to the action were marked as well, while Sahin and Suarez played ahead of the other Reading players, preventing them to get first to the ball.

This has been a problem for Liverpool this season, but the signs are positive that the players are improving their play off the ball as well, when not in possession.

Another such situation is seen here. Progbenyak is the man on the ball, Skrtel moved up from his defensive position to close down the Russian (who was on the ball). The two central defenders here have to have a good understanding that when one moves forward the other would have to cover him. Here Agger would need to take up Skrtel's position as well.

While Skrtel has closed down the man on the ball, Allen has come close to provide support, and Gerrard too is in close proximity. Wisdom is marking the wide man Mcleary. If the ball is played to either of the two options present close to the ball, Gerrard and Allen will ensure that they don't get time on the ball.

Reading were attempting to start some sort of an attack, which meant Liverpool would have to revert into their defensive mechanism to build a strong two line of defence.

The defenders maintained a final line of defence while the midfielders also got organised defensively not letting the Reading players through. It eased the burden off the central defenders. The full backs too had the wide men covered forcing the midfielders into making a mistake and preventing them from creating anything meaningful.

Final Note

With every game there is clear evidence that the side is beginning to click. Its not quite there yet and it is not quite enough, but there is definite improvement. Hopefully over the next few weeks the players can begin playing better together.

Its a home game against Anzhi next before the Merseyside Derby on Sunday 28th. It's a decent set of results that we've strung together over the past 3 games, we need to ensure that it can be continued.

http://lfcts.com/post-match-analysis-vs-reading-h/

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

we have a midweek game to think about mate. Putting in all our attacking players and not protecting the 1 goal lead would be crazy, especially with our squad being rather thin up top and playing against Reading (no offence to their fans). I think Rodgers showed he too can play negative football with a far more controlled a defensive player being used as sub when we are leading. And he needs this home win monkey off his back as well. Don't mind the sub, a win is a win.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Thought it was odd tho that Enrique came on and played ahead of glen. Appreciate the necessity to maintain continuity in the defence but glen was playing very offensively. Having Jose behind him would have only increased his cope to push forward further. Then again I think its also a compliment to the recent quality of Glen that our natural first team left back was was moved to accommodate him rather than vice versa

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
May have just been a matter of defensively solidity. Still, Assaidi still has yet to make the grade and I'm beginning to wonder whether he will. We can't seem to buy a decent winger. We'll just have to keep producing world class ones!
After 5 games?

I truly cannot put in to words how I feel about that statement, there is just so much wrong with it I don't know where to start.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
After 5 games?

I truly cannot put in to words how I feel about that statement, there is just so much wrong with it I don't know where to start.
Simple. If they don't hit the ground running after one match, they're not going to make the grade here.

It's science.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
In the end it was scrappy but it was, at least, a win and I don't think you can overstate the importance of it. Our results at Anfield have been awful this year. I can't remember a run like it and we've grown used to expecting the worst and then seeing it materialise before our very eyes. In the second half there was fear and trepidation amongst the crowd every time we lost possession. I half expected Reading to equalise. I know I wasn't the only one and this sort of nervousness must transmit itself to the players. They did look very edgy out there the longer the game went on and we failed to kill Reading off.

I was really impressed with what I saw in the first half yesterday and as dodgy as the second half was at times I think the first 45 minutes was a more accurate representation of where we really are as a team. What is holding us back is a lack of composure in the final third. It killed us under Kenny and it really hasn't been addressed yet under BR. We pass when we should shoot, we shoot when we should pass. We don't get enough bodies in the box. We are still heavily reliant on Suarez and when he isn't firing we'll struggle. Reading should have been dead and buried by half time but 10 goals in 8 league games (5 of which came in the same match) tells you everything you need to know as to why we lived on our nerves til the final whistle when we should have been relaxing and enjoying an emphatic victory.

HeighwaytoHull

Banned Users
After 5 games?

Wow, that is a massive overreaction. I have a feeling he might not, similar to a feeling I had before the season that Enrique would not be particularly favored by Brendan. He may come good and I certainly hope he does, and I have nothing but a gut feeling and the fact that Brendan hasn't been giving him time to support my feeling. My sense is that he's either not accustomed to the physical nature of the league, isn't working hard enough in training, or is struggling to perform in his role as is expected of him.

Calm down. Take a breath. I'm not in the camp of people who have given up on Borini or who decide players are crap after a month. I just have doubts about him specifically, like maybe the mental side of his game is not what Brendan had hoped. I had (and still have) high hopes for him. I'm just surprised he hasn't pushed his way into the lineup ahead of an 18-year old midfielder playing as a winger, or found himself coming on as a sub more routinely. I have concerns, however premature they right now might be.

Enough point-scoring. Jesus.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
As a contrast, I watched the last fifteen minutes of spuds vs chelski before our match. And afterwards the highlights of United vs Stoke.

The gulf in quality between them and us is staggering.....

....Whether that means the current youngsters developing quicker, Suarez getting a new set of boots, or buying a proven finisher in January I really don't care. Because until we start being more ruthless then this sort of bitsy bullshit will just continue.
Totally agree about them top 3 teams (amazing what money can buy).

Really happy with the result. I don't care it was close or that they almost scored. Cause they did not.

2 main points:

- our strikers' finishing &
- our midfied's role in supporting our defense

f we had "a" proven striker to pair up Luis and Raheem our finishing and total goals scored would be like them power-houses. The reason: we create more chances than most teams!

Our mid-field is amazingly attack-minded and it has great depth (Captain, Sahin, Jonjo, Joe, Suso).

After this match it was again evident that our defensive problems don't just stem from / within our defense. There was insufficent cover and link-up between midfield and defense.

Can't wait for Lucas to return and see what the amazing trio of 3 leaders (Captain, Lucas & Allen) will produce.

The few minutes of nervousness when leading by 1 goal won't be as intense with that midfield.

C'mon boys, do us proud on Sunday.

Gears

TIA Regular
The difference in quality between chelsea and us is that we have a much younger version of mata and hazard. In the middle, we're just as well equipped but we're thin up front.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Wow, that is a massive overreaction. I have a feeling he might not, similar to a feeling I had before the season that Enrique would not be particularly favored by Brendan. He may come good and I certainly hope he does, and I have nothing but a gut feeling and the fact that Brendan hasn't been giving him time to support my feeling. My sense is that he's either not accustomed to the physical nature of the league, isn't working hard enough in training, or is struggling to perform in his role as is expected of him.

Calm down. Take a breath. I'm not in the camp of people who have given up on Borini or who decide players are crap after a month. I just have doubts about him specifically, like maybe the mental side of his game is not what Brendan had hoped. I had (and still have) high hopes for him. I'm just surprised he hasn't pushed his way into the lineup ahead of an 18-year old midfielder playing as a winger, or found himself coming on as a sub more routinely. I have concerns, however premature they right now might be.

Enough point-scoring. Jesus.
Or you could look at some reasons.

>Assaidi hasn't had a proper pre season.Thats a very important thing for a player, without which a manager can't really throw him in the match.He was further hampered by the fasting.Surely that wouldn't have helped his fitness.

>Its just been handful of games and its a little extreme to judge someone, who is new at the club.

>As for the Reading game.They were dominating us during that period.Suso was largely invisible in the second half.Having Sterling shift to right , meant Rodgers could only bring on Downing, Assaidi or Enrique on the left.When the manager is trying to protect a 1-0 lead and more importantly the balance of his midfield, it made sense to make a defensive substitution.The answer to that is a fullback who can play as a LW.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
The difference in quality between chelsea and us is that we have a much younger version of mata and hazard. In the middle, we're just as well equipped but we're thin up front.
I see we're not into heaping expectations onto our players, are we?

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Only watched the highlights on MOTD. Looked like same old story, except this time we didn't concede. Need to do this more often, turn those draws into wins. Good performance by Sterling.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Or you could look at some reasons.

>Assaidi hasn't had a proper pre season.Thats a very important thing for a player, without which a manager can't really throw him in the match.He was further hampered by the fasting.Surely that wouldn't have helped his fitness.

>Its just been handful of games and its a little extreme to judge someone, who is new at the club.

>As for the Reading game.They were dominating us during that period.Suso was largely invisible in the second half.Having Sterling shift to right , meant Rodgers could only bring on Downing, Assaidi or Enrique on the left.When the manager is trying to protect a 1-0 lead and more importantly the balance of his midfield, it made sense to make a defensive substitution.The answer to that is a fullback who can play as a LW.
and enrique showed that he can play as a LW with that pinpoint cross....if suarez was a wee bit more clinical, enrique could have gotten 3 assists to his belt...